Chapter 1: Yin

Sweet bubble tea

“Won was looking at you weird again” “Yeah, I noticed, I think she hates me.”

“Either that or she wants to bang you.” “ Not funny Yo-Yo.” “But it could be why!”  “nobody like her would ever want me.” “what do you mean?” “she’s popular and pretty and I’m practically invisible.” “You need to give yourself more credit, you’re adorable and you aren’t invisible. You’re just shy. You need to learn to love yourself.” “How am I supposed to love myself when nobody else will? I’m unlovable” “Hey guys! Whatchu talkin’ about?” Won threw her arms around Yohan, my best friend, and my shoulders. “Nothing!” I say too quickly. “Hm, ok… what class do you have next?” “Literature.” “Me too! I’ll walk with you! What about you yohan?” “I’ve got math, I gotta go the opposite direction.” We stop at Yohan’s locker, and Won and I stand there awkwardly as Yohan  leans down to grab her stuff. “Well, Yin, we’d better get going. We don’t want to be late for class!” I look at Yohan one more time, then Won grabs my arm and starts pulling me down the hall. “Bye Yohan!” Won calls behind us. 

 

We walk awkwardly in silence to class. I know my face is red, everyone is staring. At the door to the classroom Won turns to me and says “You aren’t invisible, and you 

aren’t unloveable. You’re beautiful.” Then she turns and walks inside.