Chapter 3

Fire In The Kitchen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wake up."

Yuri turned to face the wall, pulling the blanket tighter around her body. The morning was perfectly cool and she was dead tired after shooting through weekdays. Oversleeping was mandatory this weekend.

"Come on, lazy girl. Wake up."

The words came in a whisper into her ear, sending shivers down Yuri's spine. Without opening her eyes she could see Jessica's rosy lips mouthing those words. Her imagination had the ability to create the most wonderful stuff regarding the beautiful girl. When Jessica added the persuasion of gentle tickle down her waist, every cell in Yuri's body reacted. Her mind went into overdrive. She jolted up, grabbing Jessica's hand. "Please don't."

"Sorry." The girl smiled oh so sweetly. "But it's already eight twenty in the morning."

"Please don't tell me the producer came up with another sudden schedule."

"Nah. Just the guys planning a trip to the harbor."

"I don't think I want to go." Yuri covered a yawn with one hand. "This bed is far more comfortable than the windy harbor at this time of the year."

"But I want to go." Jessica's eyes were twinkling as she paused for a second. "And I want to go with you."

Yuri gaped. Since Kotaro's corner, the both of them had grown closer. The words they spoke to each other had become gentler, flirtier. Their gazes lingered on each other a little bit longer. This, however, was the first time Jessica openly asked Yuri out.

"Gave me ten minutes." She threw her blanket away, standing up. "No, fifteen. I need to take a bath. Are the guys all ready?"

"They are already on the bus outside."

"What?" Yuri bolted to the bathroom, nearly knocked herself against the door.

"Slow down." Jessica's laugh was crisp as she got up and opened Yuri's closet. "I already told them to go first. We can catch up with the scooter."

"Should have told me in advance," Yuri mumbled, grabbing the towel. "What are you doing in my closet?"

"I want us to match today." Pointing at the pink scarf around her neck, Jessica's poked her head into the small closet. "Pink is perfect for this weather, yes? Do you have any pink sweater or shirt?"

Yuri shook her head, closing the bathroom door with a silly grin.

Jessica's idea of a romantic ride across the city got blown away because the scooter broke down halfway. Not that she was mind. Yuri had offered a perfect contingency plan. They now walked slowly side by side under the canopy of trees, with the sun shone mildly and the sea breeze caressed them softly. No destination. No time frame. Just two girls enjoying each other companion on the shady pavement.

"I can't believe you have no pink clothes." She chose to break the silence, leaning a little bit to pinch the fabric of Yuri's Mocca pullover. "Not even a pair of pink underwear."

"You went through my underwear?" Yuri served Jessica an amused look. "What a ."

"One look was all I need to see those boring colors." Swatting Yuri's shoulder, Jessica laughed too. "You need some shopping."

"I'll upgrade my wardrobe when I win the money prize. You can match with me anytime then."

"So bold of you assuming I'll let you win."

"So bold of us assuming we'll get through the next week." Yuri put her hands in her pockets, kicking a pebble out of the way. "We barely survived the challenge last Friday."

"Please don't remind me." Jessica bravely hooked her arm on Yuri's elbow, shaking her head at the recollection of the massive dessert challenge they had this week. "I was literally on the edge of elimination."

"I was so frustrated I almost threw my cake at Soo Ramsay." Yuri laughed.

"What stopped you?" Jessica loved to hear Yuri's laughter. Almost as much as she loved her teasing smile and silly grin. Something about the girl pulled Jessica close every time, physically and mentally. She didn't know when it had started but indulging in Yuri's presence had become her favorite activity.

"The pink icing would have clashed with her yellow ruffled dress so well, I was afraid she would actually ask me to throw more in the name of fashion."

Chuckling, Jessica literally pulled Yuri closer to her side. "We've grown so much since our first days, don't you think? I don't see our friends cry or get extremely frustrated anymore. Sunny simply stuck her tongue out at me when Master Sooman criticized her batter yesterday."

"I saw one of the producers try to milk some tears out of Wendy and she flipped a bird at him."

"Oh my god, I saw that too. Homegirl went wild. Shindong even called her the baddest of the badasses."

"Too bad last Friday was her last cook." Yuri slowed down.

"Too bad. I miss Wendy's laugh already."

"I miss her roasted beetroot brownies." Yuri halted her steps and pulled Jessica into a stop. "Those were better than weeds."

Jessica looked around. The road was empty, so was the sidewalk they were walking on. She could see the buildings from afar, with the sea lining the horizon. "Why are we stopping?"

"Look up."

"Huh?" Jessica looked up. The huge oak tree grew by the side of the road had its branches extended over the sidewalk, forming a lush green canopy above. "What's up with the tree?"

"Not the tree." Yuri pointed at one particular branch. "There."

Among the broad leaves and the draping Spanish moss, Jessica finally spotted it. A bird nest sat on a branch. A very pretty bird in blue and yellow feathers was chirping loudly in it. "You wanted to catch it?"

"No. Look down." Yuri now pointed down at her right foot.

"What your sneaker got to do with the bird."

Yuri laughed, bending down to fetch something. When she came up, there was a hatchling in her palm.

"Oh no. Poor baby bird."

"You almost stepped on it."

"Me?" Jessica took a step back, suddenly realized that Yuri had positioned her right foot to protect the hatchling from being squashed by Jessica's left foot. "Oh my god."

"It's fine." Yuri smiled, unhooked her arm from Jessica's hand. "We'll bring her right back to her mommy."

"How?" Jessica looked at the huge tree skeptically.

"Wait here." Yuri walked for the tree and reached the closest branch with one hand.

"Yuri, no."

"Don't worry. I climbed trees a lot as a kid."

"It seems so slippery."

"Will you do it instead?"

Jessica shook her head. She had never climbed up a tree before. Not even as a child. "Maybe the mommy will fly down and pick the baby up herself."

Yuri, already perching on the nearest branch, laughed. "Why do I have a feeling that you skipped both physic and biology classes often in high school"

"Shut up." Jessica narrowed her eyes at the particularly thin branch Yuri was reaching. "Focus on where you're going please."

"I am."

"Don't hold that thin one. That other one seems safer."

"Alright, Miss Tree-expert." Yuri changed her move, grinning down. "Why don't you come up here and map the safest route for me."

Sticking her tongue out, Jessica pointed at another branch. "I see ants on that one, don't go there."

"Damn it, the nest is so far ahead. We need to detour."

"God, you're going to give me a heart attack." Jessica cupped her cheeks with both hands upon seeing Yuri slithered forward on a branch. "Be careful."

"Just a little bit more." Yuri extended her hand as far as she could. The hatchling made a weak sound on her palm. "Here we go, come to your momma."

Jessica made a happy squeal when Yuri gently dropped the baby bird into the nest. "We did it! We did it!"

"We?" Yuri laughed, taking a step down another branch. "I don't see you break a sweat."

Jessica laughed too, pointed at the nest. "Look, I think the mommy is singing her thank to you."

"Nah. She's berating me for not letting her fly down and pick the baby up herself."

"Shut- Yuri, no!" Jessica rushed to the tree as Yuri slipped down. The girl fell on her bottom, groaning in pain as Jessica reached her side. "Oh my god, are you okay?"

"I'm good." Yuri la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter