Prologue

Fire In The Kitchen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Soojung!"

Silence.

"Soojung!"

Still no answer.

"Jung Soojung! Get down here before I come at your new sneakers with this knife!"

The threat did the trick. Jessica could hear her younger sister running down the stairs.

"What?" The innocent look in those lively eyes might have fooled everyone else but Jessica had gotten immune to it.

"Did you eat my chocolate?"

"What chocolate?"

"The one I have specifically told everyone in this house to never touch." Knife in hand, Jessica came closer to her sister. "The one with the golden wrapper."

"I served it to Amber and Luna this afternoon because there was no snack at home. I only ate a bit."

"Amber and Luna, you said? A bit?" Jessica was all but throwing the bubbling pan on the stove at her only sibling. "Are you crazy? Don't you know how expensive the chocolate is?"

"If it is that pricey, should you not let it laying around in the fridge?"

"You!" Jessica grabbed the whisk on the counter and threw it at her sister. She was angry. No, she was furious.

"Hey! Play nice. " Their mother came through the door with a full grocery bag in arms. "What is it you guys fighting about this time?"

"Soojung served my golden egg chocolate to her friends!"

"Golden what?" Putting the grocery on the kitchen counter, their mother proceeded to the fridge and took out a bottle of water.

"The one that came from the mail yesterday! The one that I need to use to bake my perfect cake!"

"Oh dear, Soojung." The frail-looking woman took a sip of water before swiping her brows with the back of her hand. "What do I told you about touching your sister's cooking stuff?"

"I had no other choice, okay? Amber and Luna always serve me fancy meals when we study at their home!"

"I'm sorry that we don't have fancy meal often." Their mother put the bottle down the counter then came to pat Soojung's shoulder. "But that's not a good reason to take someone's belonging without permission. Apologize to your sister."

"No! It's her fault that we never have good stuff anymore. All your money goes to waste thanks to her crazy dream of being Masterchef!"

"It's not a crazy dream!" Jessica barked her frustration. "I know I can be a Masterchef!"

"How? It has been two years of courses and expensive supplies. You should stop trying to get into a competition you can't win! You couldn't even get past the local audition last year! You don't have the talent!"

"Soojung!" Their mom's rare yell vibrated in the small kitchen.

"No, mom! It's time for her to wake up and find a real job! She's 23 for god's sake!"

"Jung Soojung!" In a stern expression that had never been witnessed before, their mom glared at Soojung. "Apologize right now!"

"No! I'll replace the damned chocolate with my saving but I'm not gonna apologize for the truth I just spilled on your favorite daughter!"

Soojung stormed upstairs, leaving Jessica in shock. It felt like she has been slapped in the face. Twice.

"Sooyeon, I'm sorry." Their mother came to hug Jessica but she shrugged the loving arms instead. "Soojung is probably all stressed over the exam."

"No." Jessica shook her head, tears falling from her eyes. "She's right."

"No, baby. No." Insisting on hugging her daughter from behind, the old woman kissed Jessica on her temple. "You've got the talent. You know how much everyone loves your cooking."

"Maybe everyone was just being polite. Maybe I don't have what it takes to win."

"Please don't say that."

"Ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter