Chapter 19: My Colleague 1's Eclipse

My Colleague 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Filming was intensive and Kim Yongsun enjoyed the delightful company of the cast of the Gamsung Camping. It was their last episode and she wanted to savour every moment of it since she knew that she would miss them when the filming was finally over. Some of the cast had in private about Moonbyul’s broadcast the night especially when she clarified their relationship openly.

The members of MAMAMOO had admitted several times in public that they were poor in expressing themselves. Such an earnest declaration from Byulyi was the first and she was, of course, deeply moved. If she had followed up by popping the question after that confession, her response would be vastly different. Beyond that, she was proud of how far the other woman had grown professionally since she started trying different roles such as being a DJ.

And the cast agreed: Kim Yongsun and Moon Byulyi had lucked out when their paths intersected since some individuals took an entire lifetime to find another with such a deep and meaningful connection, no matter the labels. The singer was just simply contended that she was in love with her soul mate.

It did not mean that she could ignore the aching void, knowing that she was not at arm’s reach. Moon Byulyi was already an intricate part of her life before they decided to move in. Now, it seemed impossible to go on day-to-day without her. She missed her extremely simple breakfast and coffee, her frequent timely reminders of things she would normally forget because she deemed it unimportant to remember, the idea of coming home to her, not matter how busy their schedules were. Then, there was the issue of security. She would check if the doors and windows were bolted before they turned in. She grimaced. Her partner was spoiling her irrevocably.

Then, there were her small touches, casual but so full of affection that could only trickle from Byulyi. No matter how much she tried to tamper that sincerity, it emanated and attracted others to her like moths to a fire. She missed her comforting warmth and she pulled up the collar to take in the scent of the over-sized white dress shirt she had stolen from a certain someone. Her eyes curved playfully as she thought of the things she had pilfered from her: her favourite refreshing cologne, her well-used pyjamas with printed corgis, the outfit she was wearing and another white shirt.

Byulyi would eventually have words with her when she found her favourite pyjamas missing. She laughed to herself, wondering how soon the latter would discover.

However, she noticed that Byulyi seemed to be behaving strangely. She had expected the younger woman to be anxious since they had never been apart since they had moved in together. However, beyond the customary greetings in the morning, there was no effort to sustain a conversation through the day. She was thirsty for an update, anything to connect her to her partner. She had resorted to checking her social media accounts several times but there was no update. She stared at her mobile languidly, hoping for a reply.

Now, she understood what it meant to be afflicted with lovesickness. She sighed to herself before throwing herself into the filming. Finally, the filming had ended for the night, Byulyi had finally replied. She grabbed her mobile as she lay down.

“Meetings. Spoke to CEO-nim. Caught up with our Maknaes over dinner so that they can vent their frustrations.”

Her brows knitted as she sat up on the bed.

“Our Maknaes? Do you mean our kids?”

“No, the new group. Our kids are exceptionally busy. I think I will only see them in the next practice like you.”

She nodded to herself, a thumb on her lip. The singer had not met them yet since she was busy with her schedule, but she wasn’t surprised that Byulyi would reach out to them. It was simply in her nature. However, a part of her felt a little upset that she had a more productive day than her.

“The practice for our KCON stage?”

“Yah, that one.”

Sensing that she was available, the singer called her immediately, wanting to hear her voice. She waited with bated breath and smiled when the familiar voice of the rapper filled her ear. Her voice was slightly hoarse from fatigue.

“Did you ice your face?” greeted Yongsun impassively.

Byulyi chortled lightly “I did, esteemed leader-nim. Didn’t you wake me up before dawn to check my face and my eye this morning?”

“The blood spot is still there,” defended Yongsun, wrapping her arms around her knees as she pulled them up. “And it looked a little swollen around the area.”

“Unnie, it will take weeks to dissipate,” countered Byulyi. “Really? It did not look that obvious this morning. It’s really hard to tell when it isn’t black and blue—”

“And you rather have that instead?”

“I’ll just be a pirate for a day then. It won’t be my first time—”

“Byul, don’t be an idiot.” She wrapped arms around herself as she sighed softly. “You had meetings? Were they about your schedule?”

“Ah huh, it was also about the broadcast last night. Nothing to worry about. It’s OK when we joke on Solarsido, I guess, just not on a proper broadcast. It’s the issue of audience,” answered the rapper easily, summarising the meeting. She paused. “I just didn’t like the whole idea of us being a publicity stunt.”

“Is that what our CEO-nim wanted?” hedged Yongsun, running her hand through her hair, wishing she could speak to her in person. It was tough to discern how she really felt.

“No. I might be sensitive to it,” conceded the rapper. “A loving and wonderful relationship between the members sells but I just don’t like it monetarised. It’s just uncomfortable.”

Her partner was a romantic, she wasn’t surprised that she would feel this way.

“We can’t control how people perceive,” answered Yongsun sagely. “As long as they do not expect us to perform in that sense, we don’t have to worry.”

“Aish, perform huh.” Yongsun could hear her rolling the rapper rolling her eyes. “I don’t ‘perform’ when I am with you or our kids.”

“Are you not at home?” decided Yongsun when she heard noises in the background. It sounded like staff biding her farewell. The rapper acknowledged and thanked them too.

“No. I am not,” admitted the rapper finally.

“It’s late.” She pointed out.

“I know.” The rapper hesitated for a moment before clearing her voice slightly. “I’m going out. Ah, with friends.”

“Friends?” She hated that her tone sounded so bitter. She wondered if she should persist in her questioning since she sounded so evasive. “On the first night I am away, Byulyi?”

“It’s not about your absence. It’s more of an effect from last night,” elaborated Byulyi in a measured tone.

Her answer was so nuanced that she sensed that there was more that she was not telling her. Should she just speak to her through video call instead? She considered the option. “I’ll call you back.” Then, she activated the video function and called her again.

Byulyi picked it up immediately, her tired face filling her screen. She wore a baseball cap on her head, her hair falling around her messily. Her nose crinkled as she smiled at the sight of her. “Hello beautiful, are you alone?” greeted the rapper with a raspy voice. “I love your choice of pyjamas.”

She laughed brightly when her partner recognised it at once.

“You look better in my clothes anyway,” smiled Byulyi sweetly as she dropped into a seat near the exit of their studio. “OK, what would you like to ask?”

Yongsun ensured that there was no one who could overhear her. “Baby, who are you meeting tonight? Will I see it on the news?” Her voice tremble slightly.

The smile from her face faded slightly as she adjusted her cap. No, that was not a good response. Her heart fell when she realised that her lover was taking a while to contemplate her words.

She swallowed visibly, looking away from the screen for a moment, as if checking if there was anyone. “I’m meeting Dahee-unnie.”

She opened , ready to argue.

“Please don’t start on it,” interrupted Byulyi firmly, her lips thinned. “Especially when we will break Rule 2.” A furrow appeared between her brows as she looked at her earnestly.

It did not seem as if Byulyi was willing to meet the famous actress. That quelled her fear slightly as she put her thumb on her lip as she contemplated.

“Explain,” decided Yongsun, staring at her hard. Lee Dahee was a sore topic between them since they had once fought badly due to her. The last time she had seen the actress was the day before they were together.

Her brows relaxed slightly when she realised that Yongsun was giving her a chance to explain herself. This was unprecedented. The rapper cleared her voice, adjusting her cap. “You remembered last night how I asked you to be my wife over the air? Apparently, Dahee-unnie caught your silence. She messaged me after that and picked up on the flirting, although I think it might be more than that. She wanted me to be her wife and when I turned her down, she confessed.” She rubbed the back of her neck, frustrated.

“Yet you want to meet her at this hour?” She did not understand how Byulyi’s mind functioned.

“No. The meeting was forced upon me.”

Yongsun frowned. “What do you mean, Byul? What’s going on?”

She shook her head fervently. “I can handle it. I’ll take it as a good chance to clear up the air. I haven’t really contacted her since we were together.”

Something felt strange about the situation.

Yongsun arched her brow. It occurred to her that she had never asked her about her dalliance, not in detail while they were friends and she never questioned her when they were together. “Moon Byulyi, what is your relationship with Lee Dahee?” Her voice hitched with apprehension.

Byulyi merely adjusted her cap and looked away.

Her stomach coiled painfully. She bit her bottom lip, but she forced the next words out of her. “Were you together?” Tears welled in her eyes suddenly as her lips trembled violently. . Was she the third party in their relationship?

“No, no, no,” protested Byulyi loudly. “Crap. I didn’t want to make you cry. We were never together officially.”

She swallowed visibly. Officially?

Byulyi looked away. “Yong-ah, don’t be upset, please. This is so hard.” She took a deep breath and persisted. “Dahee-unnie and I shared a night when we fought.” Her voice quivered. “I was planning to tell you eventually.” Her eyes were also red as tears welled up.

“Two years ago?” demanded Yongsun sharply. “After the filming of Queendom? That fight we had?”

“Yes,” acknowledged Byulyi croakily.

Her heart stopped.

“You went to her even though you know I was upset about your intimacy with her? How cruel can you be?” demanded Yongsun, hurt.

The rapper flinched but nodded again, tears flowing down her cheeks. “I was. I am sorry—”

“Don’t. Don’t apologise to me,” snapped Yongsun sharply. She pressed her face with a hand. “I can’t…” She shook head, unsure of how to process what she was telling her.

“Yong-ah, don’t hang up on me, please,” pleaded Byulyi. She took a deep breath. “Dahee-unnie has been camping outside the studio since the evening. It’s the only reason I am meeting her tonight. I’m sorry for doing this when you’re away but I just want to tie up this loose lint—”

Irritation flashed in her eyes. “Camping outside the studio?” demanded Yongsun heatedly. She used several well-chosen expletives. “What is this woman trying to do?”

“I don’t what she’s going to do. I will turn her down. Kim Yongsun, I love you. It’s you that I want to spend the rest of my life with. It’s you who inspired me to think of forever. I am not giving us up for anything.” Her eyes flashed with resolve.

Yongsun took a deep breath, calming herself down. She had to trust her lover. “We will talk about all your flirtations when I get home. I want to know every one of your relationship with the people in the industry.” At that answer, Byulyi smiled widely. Then it occurred to her how delicate and vulnerable Byulyi was when it came to her, she could play around with her emotions like a skilful puppeteer. Yongsun mentally backpedalled their conversation and swallowed visibly. “Byul, I’m sorry for saying that you’re cruel. It was a shock to know that you have an actual history with her.” The singer pressed on before she lost steam. “Can you call one of our kids to be with you? I don’t want you to be with her alone.” She wrapped an arm around herself loosely.

“I’ll do it now,” promised Byulyi sincerely, wiping the tears off her cheek carelessly. She took a deep breath, calming down. “Squishy, I hate that you’re not with me now.” She sounded so vulnerable. “I know I screwed up—”

“Everything happened before we were together, yes?” clarified Yongsun, putting up a front even though she felt as if she was losing her foothold while standing on a slippery slope.

Byulyi gave her a wry smile. “Of course, my heart is already far too small to contain all I feel for you. I’m yours. I have and always will be.” Her words were filled with her charming brand of sincerity.

Yongsun smiled dryly. “Crinkles, you haven’t screwed up then.” She knew this to be true even though she coveted all of Byulyi: her attention, her knowledge of her. It didn’t sit too well with her that someone besides her had intimate knowledge of her soulmate.

Byulyi’s eyes welled up again before she lowered her gaze. She nodded at her, too emotional to speak.

Her gaze softened at the sight and she cooed. “Please don’t cry, Crinkles.”

Byulyi shook her head as she tried for a small smile. “Let me call you back, Squishy.”

“OK. I’ll wait for your call,” concurred the singer finally, her shoulders relaxing.

Byulyi’s nose wrinkled adorably as she grinned before that image of her swam away when she ended the call.

Yongsun expelled a breath she did not know she was holding before she lay on her bed, her mind focused on that tensed conversation. Perhaps, she should have had this conversation earlier with her so that it would not disrupt their lives. However, this disruption was something not in her control. After five minutes, Byulyi returned the call and activated the video function.

It was clear that she was still in the studio, waiting. “Our kids are coming.”

“Wheein-ah and Hyejin?” prompted Yongsun, surprised. Weren’t they busy with their schedules?

“Yes, I explained to them what had happened. Uh, they were angry with me but they’re joining me.” She shook her head in exasperation.

“They were angry that you didn’t ask for help?” quipped Yongsun with a knowingly smile.

Byulyi smiled affectionately, flashing a thumb-up. “Impressive, Solar-ssi. You’re indeed our esteemed leader.”

“Of course,” chimed Yongsun brightly, her eyes curving into lovely crescents. “And you wouldn’t ask for help because you’re so bloody honourable.” She sighed a loud, shaking her head. “You don’t kiss and tell.”

Byulyi seemed to be shocked, but she rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. “They are private for a reason.”

“We’ll still have that talk when I finally return home, no matter your sensibilities. Then, I’ll decide what to do with you,” scoffed Yongsun.

“Please go easy on me, my sweet.” She put a hand up, as if pleading. “We have practices for several high-key performances.”

“Use body tape or be fully covered,” concluded Yongsun haughtily, remembering that hilarious use of body tape.

“Aish,” complained Byulyi, raking her hand through her hair, keeping a straight face but her eyes gleamed with amusement. “I better ensure that I am fully covered for the next few performances. Are you not going to bed?”

“Now? When I know you’ll have to meet Dahee?” She was stunned that she thought that she could sleep peacefully.

“You’ll have a long day tomorrow and I don’t think you slept much last night,” countered Byulyi quietly. “You were much too awake to have slept when you woke me up this morning.”

“Observant Byul,” complimented the older woman, flashing a thumb-up.

“Let me text her to let her know that our kids will be with me.” She stuck out a tongue as she typed into the chat. She waggled her head in a so-so way before she decided on the message.

“Is that the reason why you are hiding in the studio? I mean before I called you.”

Byulyi blinked before looking at her. “I was busy with work too and I didn’t expect Dahee-unnie to be so determined.” She tilted her head slightly, contemplatively. “I don’t know what triggered her determination.”

Yongsun merely smirked. “I do. Anyone who knows you personally would understand, I think.”

“Oh? Care to share with the class?”

“By your standards, you practically confessed your love for me over air.” Her cheeks became red as she recollected. “There was none of the teasing like how we were when we conversed initially. Of course, we know how much was of that was simply teasing and how much it wasn’t, devious little Crinkles.”

Byulyi merely smirked. “Did you have to put it so plainly?” Her chortles were light-hearted as she scratched the side of her nose.

“At least I know that I don’t have to check any of my food just in case you decided to propose,” added Yongsun in a hushed whisper.

“No, you don’t. Ah, you’re agreeable to a traditional event.” She nodded to herself, cheering up a little.

“Didn’t I drop you enough hints?” fired Yongsun instantly, cocking her head a little.

“There were hints?” demanded Byulyi sharply, her brows skyrocketed. This was news to her. She scratched her nose slightly as she stared at her openly. “Wait, you were protesting to the fact that I was your wife because you want to have an event? Baby, can you please be more obvious?” She huffed, shaking her head.

“As you crudely put it, I can’t go up to you and tell you ‘hey, are you going to propose to me?’’ teased Yongsun, imitating her tone.

She rolled her eyes openly. “OK. OK. I heard you loud and clear. Wait, why don’t you propose to me instead? You’re older, you obviously wear the pants in our relationship—”

“You’re the Queen of events. I can’t take that joy away from you,” concluded Yongsun as she kept an impassive face.

“My open declaration of love over the air wasn’t enough?” clarified Byulyi animatedly, throwing a hand into the air. “You have such high standards!”

Yongsun grinned playfully. “Spoiled by you, Byul.”

"That's the point, so that you can't have anyone else but me." Byulyi looked away from the screen for a moment, as if detecting the presence of someone else. “Hey.” She looked at her. “Our kids are here—”

Yongsun covered as chaos broke out in the screen. The screen was shaking as Byulyi was squealing at a high pitch and she could see someone raining blows on her.

“Stupid Unnie!”

“Stop, stop, stop. Jinie!” screeched Byulyi. “Ouch! Bloody hell! That hurts!”

“You deserve it! Why are you like that, Unnie!”

"Hit her, Wheeinie."

“Just hold my mobile, Jinie! Unnie is on the line!"

The screen shifted quickly and Hyejin appeared on the screen. “Hello Unnie,” greeted she calmly, an adoring smile on her face. She looked like she was roused out of bed, her face bare of makeup and a baseball cap over her long wavy hair. There were still screaming in the backgrou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter