"beyoncé would not approve of this."

the family pack

A/N: Although it’s mentioned but not at all explored here in this one-shot (I’m too lazy to write it out), I intended for RyuChaeNa to be MiShu’s adopted kids. Let’s normalize adoption in family fics, pls. This has been a PSA.


 

Nothing could’ve prepared Shuhua for what was awaiting her back home.

 

“Miyeonnie, what the Hell is that?” She outright demands upon entering the living space.

 

“Oh! Shu-Shu!” Miyeon turns around quickly, her radiant smile clashing with the disgusted scowl on her wife’s face as she cradles their youngest foster daughter in her arms. “You’re home early. Welcome back!”

 

“Uh-huh…”

 

Shuhua’s eyes narrow to the point that her eyes are hardly seen, but she visibly softens at the tiny voice calling for her māma. A pair of chubby hands reach out to the Taiwanese woman, who immediately strides over to press an equally soft kiss on her forehead.

 

“Hey, sweetie.” She beams down at their precious bundle of joy before looking back to Miyeon, her disgust coming back full-force as she takes in the most atrocious view in front of her.

 

“Can you please tell me why in God’s name are you wearing that… that thing?”

 

Shuhua has never seen anything like it, and she had been living happily with this fact until now.

 

Why did it even exist?

 

Her eyes continue to just stare in horror at the sheer abomination that is hugging her gorgeous wife’s sylphlike figure, and Miyeon simply regards it with a curious look.

 

“Hm? What’s wrong with it?” She asks innocently, meeting her lover’s own gaze while tilting her head in confusion.

 

“What’s not wrong with it?” Shuhua retorts through clenched teeth, unable to hold back on her biting sarcasm as she tries to wrap her mind around Miyeon’s less-than-tasteful choice of wear. In all her years of existing, it is very easily the ugliest sweater to have ever disgraced the planet Earth.

 

And the worst part is, Christmas ended two months ago.

 

What happened and why?

 

“It’s so… Oh my God. Unnie, did you actually buy that?”

 

Shuhua is about to lose her mind right now. If Miyeon had bought it on purpose (and God forbid she legitimately found the thing cute, lest Shuhua decides to seriously reconsider their marriage vows), she won’t even bother finding the receipt anymore and just straight-up burn the damn thing.

 

“Jagiya, stop frowning so much. It doesn’t look good on you.”

 

Oh, the audacity for Miyeon to say that about her when she’s out here flaunting what is undoubtedly an insult to the entire fashion world.

 

Beyoncé would not approve of this.

 

“And no, I didn’t buy it. This just came in the mail today from Minnie and Yuqi.” Miyeon had the nerve to kiss Shuhua’s cheek on her way to the kitchen. “Something about it being a very late-birthday gift after they missed out on our joint party last month. Don’t you remember, Shu? They were celebrating their 4th anniversary.”

 

While her totally unbothered wife proceeds to make them coffee, Shuhua’s lips curl into a grimace. “Hold on, they sent that? Are you ing kidding me?” She blurts, and Miyeon shushes her quickly.

 

“Lower your voice, babe. You might wake Ryujin and Chaeryeong up.” The older one reprimands. “And what did I tell you about cursing in front of Yuna? You know how this girl likes to repeat everything she hears.”

 

Rolling her eyes, Shuhua grumbles an apology under her breath and strides over to caress Yuna’s hair. Her face breaks into an affectionate smile when their baby daughter lets out a happy little giggle that instantly melts her heart.

 

“Okay, fair. But what did I tell you about wearing such hideous stuff in the first place?” She says while gesturing furiously at the awful jumper Miyeon is still wearing. Unironically, it seems.

 

“That you’ll rip all my clothes off? Yeah, you mentioned it before.”

 

Miyeon peeks over her shoulder then, smiling sweetly when she addresses Shuhua with mischief in her eyes. Playful, yet far from innocent. “I still remember that one time, you know. When you tore apart my bloomers after pinning me down on our bed. I could hardly move my legs the next day, and Soojin had to cover for me at work.”

 

Shuhua’s eyes darken for a second, but she promptly clears – trying to rid herself of the steamy images flashing through her mind at the memory – and glowers.

 

“Don’t change the topic, unnie.” She grunts, following her partner back into the living room as she helps bring their coffee mugs over to the center table. “And just because our friends sent us that piece of garbage doesn’t mean you have to wear it!”

 

“It’s not garbage, Shu! It’s a gift!” Miyeon argues. “Of course I have to wear it!”

 

Palming her face in mild annoyance, Shuhua lets out a disgruntled sigh and glares down at the offensive garment.

 

Maybe if she stares hard enough, it’ll burst into flames.

 

To think, their two crackheads for friends had stooped so below the ing ground itself to make a sweater of such terrible quality. It’s the thought that counts, sure, but this? This is just plain ridiculous. And if the universe is playing a trick on her today, well, Shuhua isn’t amused in the slightest.

 

Not only is the sweater ugly as Hell, the entire thing has been dyed a heinous shade of vomit-green that is downright criminal. Shuhua wants nothing more than to call up those nutjobs and give them a piece of her mind for ruining both Miyeon’s favorite color and just Miyeon in general.

 

Shameless. Absolutely shameless.

 

The front of the sweater has a wolf’s head printed on it with the words “Luna Wolf” slapped above in, get this – comic ing sans – while the back has an image of a raised wolf tail accompanied by the text that reads “Yeh Family Pack” right on top of it.

 

Something like glass shatters inside Shuhua’s head as the gears in her brain screech to a halt.

 

Hold on… Family Pack? Luna Wolf?

 

The realization hits her like a bucket of ice-cold water down her back.

 

No, no. Don’t tell me—

 

“It’s a family set, Shu-Shu.” Good Lord, Miyeon only confirmed her fears. “There’s one for each of us!”

 

Shuhua is beyond devastated.

 

Why? Why her?

 

Of all the families in the world, why did it have to be Shuhua’s?

 

Where did she go wrong?

 

“See? Even Yuna is wearing hers!” Miyeon proudly holds up their youngest daughter with a beaming smile, and the other woman looks down immediately. Their beautiful baby girl who has never done anything wrong in her life (aside from being the cutest ball of sunshine ever) is wearing the same horrid sweater around her tiny self.

 

Holy . Shuhua’s eyes almost popped right out of her sockets.

 

“Māma!” Yuna’s toothy grin does nothing to stop the Taiwanese from crying a little inside.

 

Her poor bunny princess…

 

She doesn’t deserve this.

 

With the most forlorn expression ever, Shuhua rakes her eyes along the words printed on Yuna’s jumper. “Baby Wolf”, it reads in that same distasteful comic sans font.

 

“Isn’t she adorable, Shu?” Miyeon gushes while cradling Yuna closer, totally oblivious to her wife’s emotional distress. “I also made Chae and Ryu change into theirs before they took a nap. The kids seem to like them a lot.”

 

Then she approaches Shuhua to pat her cheek affectionately.

 

“You have one too, jagi. Right there on the sofa.”

 

I beg your ing pardon?

 

“No.”

 

Miyeon pouts at the rejection, whining. “What? Why not?”

 

“Are you insane? Me? In that sweater?” Shuhua says incredulously. “I’d rather wear a garbage bag first than be caught dead wearing that shi—dumb thing!”

 

“But it’s cute!” Miyeon defends, just as petulant. If Shuhua is stubborn, then so is she.

 

The younger one wants to pull at her own hair in frustration.

 

“Miyeonnie, did you not hear what I just said?” She deadpans.

 

“I did. I just chose to ignore it.” Miyeon teases, and Shuhua wonders why she even married this woman in the first place. “Come on, babe. Our friends sent these as a gift. Even if you don’t like it all that much, the least you can do is show some appreciation. Please?”

 

Her soft puppy-dog eyes are effectively melting Shuhua’s stone-cold facade, but the latter won’t fall for them this time. Oh no, she’s going to put her foot down and uphold her family’s honor.

 

“Like Hell I will.” Shuhua growls. “You and I both know that those clowns are always up to no good. Do you remember those fuzzy cuffs they gifted Soyeon-unnie when she and Jin-Jin got married two summers ago?”

 

The memory elicits an involuntary shiver from Miyeon, who is still mentally-scarred of that one incident when a very drunk Soojin had so graciously recounted her first honeymoon night with Soyeon in far-too explicit detail and how the absolutely euphoric experience had also made her realize that she lowkey has a kink.

 

(“Miyeon-unnie, oh my God, Soyeon is an absolute beast in bed.” Soojin raved almost dreamily, a half-empty solo cup swaying precariously in her hand. “Did you know that? Of course, you don’t. But let me tell you anyway. So, basically—”)

 

Miyeon couldn’t look at those two the same way again for several months after. And until now, the mere recollection of those memories still triggers her instinctive flight response.

 

“I do, unfortunately.” She cringes. “Your point being?”

 

“Yuqi and Minnie-unnie do these kinds of things on purpose.” Shuhua grits, already cursing the prankish couple in her mind till kingdom come. “They could’ve sent us literally anything else but those lousy sweaters!”

 

Miyeon can only sigh. “I mean, it’s not that bad…” She attempts to convince her indignant lover. “Maybe if you tried to put yours on, you’d see how cute we’ll all look matching together!”

 

Nope. Shuhua doesn’t consider it for even a second.

 

“Over my dead bod—”

 

“Umma! Māma!”

 

The couple swiftly turn their heads at the high-pitched voice coming from the hallway, where they see their two other foster daughters now up and awake.

 

Their middle child, Chaeryeong, has a huge smile on her face as she bounds over to greet Shuhua; while their eldest child, Ryujin, is tagging not too far behind with half-lidded eyes and her shoulder-length hair still mussed from sleep. A tired yawn slips out from the elder sister’s mouth as she rubs her droopy eyelids before joining the rest of her family gathered in the living room.

 

“Oh, you girls are already awake.” An affectionate smile appears on Miyeon’s face when Ryujin clings to her leg. With one arm still cradling Yuna close to her chest, she reaches down to brush her fingers through their lazy monkey’s bed hair. “Did you sleep well, dear?”

 

Ryujin nods sluggishly, fighting to keep her eyes open as she hugs her mother’s calf. “We heard māma’s voice, umma…” She mumbles.

 

“Yes, māma’s home from work. Do you want to say hi?”

 

Miyeon gestures towards Shuhua, who has embraced Chaeryeong tightly before planting a sweet kiss on her daughter’s temple.

 

“Hey, munchkin. How was your nap?” The Taiwanese asks when Ryujin hobbles over, greeting their eldest the same way before chuckling at her sleepy expression. “Sorry for waking you and your sister up.”

 

“It’s okay, māma. We just wanted to see you.”

 

The answer alone is enough to make Shuhua’s heart swell with joy.

 

On one hand, she’s glad to be finally back home with her beloved wife and kids. But on the other hand, she wants to faint at the tragic sight in front of her. The four loves of her life, wearing the single most ugliest ensemble to have ever existed in history.

 

“Māma, māma! Look!”

 

Chaeryeong calls her attention, and Shuhua finds herself struggling to maintain her smile when their impish fox says the one thing she’s been dreading to hear.

 

“Auntie Woogie and auntie Nini made these cool sweaters for us! We’re the Yeh Family Pack now!” Chaeryeong cheers with the enthusiasm of a kid who’s gotten candy as she shows off her new clothing with a blinding grin. She’s donning a similar jumper to Ryujin’s, which both have the words “Little Wolf” printed on front.

 

At this point, Shuhua is going to suffer from a .

 

“Ah, how kind of them…”

 

While Chaeryeong goes off on a tangent about how “radically awesome” the wolf head design is to a stoic-faced Ryujin, Miyeon observes them fondly with an adoring smile.

 

Shuhua, however, takes in the happy atmosphere of her family with a miserable look.

 

She wonders how it even came to this and why they’re so unapologetically enthusiastic about their tasteless clothes. Save for Ryujin, maybe, since she’s the most laidback of her step-siblings and is just nodding along to Charyeong’s ramblings. Nonchalant as ever.

 

Please let this all be a nightmare.

 

Suddenly, Yuna starts wailing for her māma at that moment. Her tiny hands make grabby motions towards the younger woman as her bottom lip quivers, and Shuhua wastes no time reaching for their baby bunny so she can hold her protectively.

 

“Don’t cry, little one. Māma’s here.” She coos, her daughter’s hair until Yuna calms down enough to nuzzle her face against Shuhua’s collarbone. “You’re growing up so fast, my pretty princess.”

 

Playfully, she swings Yuna up in the air and raises her like Simba. The sounds of her delighted squeals has Shuhua grinning before she carefully lowers Yuna back down to peck her forehead, just as she hears a dreamy sigh from her left and finds Miyeon staring at them with the warmest, most tender look in her loving eyes. Those same eyes that would always gaze at Shuhua like she was the one who had put up every star in the universe and wove galaxies into existence from just her fingertips.

 

Even after how many years of being together, Shuhua finds herself falling in love all over again.

 

“I love you so much, Shu-Shu.” Miyeon says softly, without thinking.

 

Shuhua smiles and puts Yuna down to the floor so she can join her two older step-sisters, then walks over to kiss her dearest wife on the lips. Taking it nice and slow as her hands find their place on Miyeon’s waist, while the older woman’s fingers trace along the outline of her jaw. When Shuhua gives her bottom lip a teasing little nip, Miyeon purrs in content as she smiles endearingly into the kiss.

 

“Love you more, Miyeonnie.” The younger whispers back, just as sweet and gentle against .

 

“Does that mean you’ll wear the sweater now?”

 

Excuse you?

 

Shuhua retracts enough to glare at her cheeky-faced partner. The love of her life, the mother of their three beautiful children, the Tom to her Jerry.

 

“Absolutely not.”

 

And never in a million ing years.

 

“Suit yourself.” Miyeon shrugs as if it were just a leaf that had landed on her head. “Guess you’ll have to break the news to Chaeryeong then, if that’s what you want.”

 

Her blood instantly runs cold.

 

Yeh Miyeon, you conniving minx!

 

“You can’t be fu—freaking serious.” Shuhua’s lips curl in distaste, jaw locked and her teeth clenched as she holds back a snarl of displeasure.

 

Miyeon, however, just flashes her a taunting smirk. Looking so smug and so satisfied with herself, all because she knows that she has won this round.

 

“I’m serious, jagi. Chae was so excited when the sweaters came in this morning, she kept telling me that we should take a picture of us wearing them so she can send it to her godparents in Jeonju. You know how long it’s been since Yeji and Lia last saw her.”

 

It’s almost like Miyeon is daring Shuhua to challenge her. Their gazes are leveled evenly, neither side wanting to back down, and her brown eyes glint with something Shuhua knows far-too well by now. It’s the same kind of fiery passion Miyeon would give to her in bed; when she was about to go down on Shuhua and make her see stars. (But that’s a story for another day.)

 

“It’s too bad, though… You said no, so I guess she won’t be able to send that picture after all.”

 

Miyeon’s all-too honeyed voice sounds borderline mocking, perhaps even more so with that look of amusement on her sly face upon catching her wife’s conflicted expression.

 

“Ryu even wanted a copy for her show-and-tell this Friday, but I suppose she’ll just have to come in empty-handed instead…”

 

That’s it. The final blow has been delivered, and the last of Shuhua’s crumbling resolve shatters completely.

 

Goddammit. She feels torn.

 

Although Shuhua hates the tacky sweater with a burning passion, she hates disappointing her family even more.

 

“Māma! Look, look!” Chaeryeong runs back over to them with another insultingly green garment clutched in her small hands, beaming. “This one’s yours, see? Now we’re all matching!”

 

True to her words, the absolute atrocity of a sweater has the label “Alpha Wolf” printed on front. Still in that godforsaken comic sans font.

 

Shuhua really wants to cry.

 

“Come on, put it on! I wanna take a photo so I can send it to auntie Ji-Ji and auntie Julia!” Chaeryeong practically bounces on her feet, holding up the sweater for her māma to see in all its outrageous glory.

 

Shuhua takes a moment to regard each member of her chaotic (yet wretchedly wholesome) family with helpless eyes. Every single fiber and cell of her being is telling the woman not to touch, let alone wear, the godawful sweater from Hell. But after seeing the adorable, precious faces of her three little foster daughters and Miyeon’s insanely captivating (but also infuriatingly gloating) smile on her perfect God-given visuals, she knows that the battle has been lost already.

 

This is so monumentally stupid.

 

“Fine…” Shuhua sighs in defeat. “I’ll wear the dumb sweater.”

 

Despite finding them to be an utter monstrosity of a fashion choice still, the (admittedly) cute photos of her lovely family in those ugly sweaters are now framed. Serving as nice decoration pieces for the foyer of their home, as well as on Miyeon and Shuhua’s desks in their respective offices back at work.

 

 

“HAHAHAHAHA! Holy ing ! You actually wore them!”

 

“You better shut up, or I’m sending Minnie-unnie a damn plug to ram up your !”

 

(Sitting right across from them at their usual lunch table, Soyeon can be heard choking on one of the tangerine slices Soojin has packed for her.)