Chapter 3

His Wolf Mate

It was the day you've been dreading, the first day of school. You stopped at the front gates of the school, wishing that you would rather be anywhere else but here. You remember what the last three years was like which was only tolerable because you had Yuri by your side. Let's just get this over with, the sooner this school year ends the better. With a heavy sigh you forced your feet to walk forward. As you walked towards you locker, you felt someone's arm around you neck followed by a familiar voice. "I see you're excited to start the new year." You didn't need to turn your head to realize who the voice belonged to. "Yea, can't you tell by the happy smile on my face, Jihoon?" The boy known as Jihoon gave you a laugh to your sarcastic remark. He was one of the only boys both you and Yuri could tolerate and have a decent conversation with, aside from a couple other boys who were his friends. The two of you are not exactly close, but you find him to be good company sometime. "Don't worry, it will be over before you know it. By the way, where's your bestie?" Jihoon asked as he scans his head around the crowded corridor. "I don't know. But she should be here soon." You proceeded to open your locker. "Alright, well, I'm gonna go hang with the guys before class starts. I'll catch you later." You gave a wave goodbye as Jihoon disappeared down the corridor.

 

As soon as you were done gathering all your materials, someone slammed your locker door close; nearly crushing your fingers. "Well, look who we have here. You're still alive, I see." You turned your head and came face to face with Jia. You also noticed her two friends who were always right behind her. "Aww, are you disappointed I'm still here?" You sarcastically retorted. "Don't be silly. If you were gone I would have to find another play thing to mess with, and it's already too late into the year for me to do that." You rolled your eyes at Jia's condescending attitude. "Don't you have better things to do in the morning? You know, besides annoy me to death?" Jia gave you a smirk. "Of course I do, but messing with you is just my favorite past time." You could hear her two little minions snickering behind her. "Oh, is it, now?" Jia and her friends turned around, obviously started by Yuri's presence. "Geez. What are you, a ghost? You almost gave me a ing heart attack!" Yuri had her hands folded across her chest. Not at all amused at seeing her friend in this situation. "No, but I promise you that if I do die, I'll be sure to come back and haunt you." You stifled a giggle at her response. "Hmph, whatever. I have more important things to do than waste my time with the likes of you two." And with that she and her friends stormed off.

 

"Sorry, I'm late. She didn't do anything to you, did she?" Yuri asked as she gave you a worried look. "Aside from almost chopping off my fingers with my own locker? No. But don't worry. I have fast reflexes." You wiggled your fingers around to show her that your hand is fine. Yuri gave you a laugh at your attempt to ease her worry. She proceeded to open her locker, which was right next to yours, and grabbed her materials for class. "Oh yea, Jihoon was looking for you." Yuri closed her locker with a sigh. "Again? He needs to stop fanboying over me." You laughed at her sarcastic comment and proceeded to head towards your homeroom together. "Hey! He has good taste. You're one of the prettiest girls here in school." Yuri playfully punched your arm. "Awww, thank you for saying so, bestie." The two of you shared a smile as you both entered the classroom.

 

The bell rang, indicated that class was about to start soon. All of the students took there seats and waited for the teacher. You took your seat in the row next to Yuri and got out everything you needed. As soon as you were done, the door to the classroom opened followed by the teacher and seven other boys. Seven incredibly tall and handsome boys who looked like they could be models. The girls started to squeal excitedly while the boys started to whisper among each other. The teacher stood behind the podium and cleared his throat. At that, everyone in the classroom quieted down. They were eager to know more about the new students. "As you can see class, we have some new students who will be joining us today. Please be friendly and helpful to them as they transition into the new school year. Now please, introduce yourself to your new classmates." As soon as the teacher finished talking, he turned his heads towards the new students to indicate that it was their turn to speak. The boys introduced themselves one by one. "I'm Jay B. Jinyoung. Bambam. Yugyeom. Jackson. Youngjae. Mark." By the time the last boy introduced himself, he was making eye contact with you the whole time. Only breaking it when the teacher cleared his throat again. "Very well. Take your seats boys as I'm about to take attendance." The seven new students scattered to different parts of the classroom. Mark already knew where he was headed as he took the seat next to you. Upon hearing a chair being pulled out, you turned your head to your right and was instantly greeted by a mesmerizing smile from Mark. Slightly panicking, you quickly turned your head the other way to avoid looking at him.

 

For the rest of the class, you could feel Mark's gaze on you as you were taking notes. It was starting to make you uncomfortable and you were silently praying for the bell to ring for break already. When the bell did ring for break, you quickly got up from your seat and made a beeline for your locker, leaving a stunned Yuri behind as she quickly tries to catch up to you. The rest of Mark's friends crowded around his desk as the rest of the students began to leave the classroom. All except for most of the girls who wanted to look at the attractive new students. "Hey, man. You couldn't have made it more obvious that you were looking at her" Jackson said as he scooted a chair closer to Mark. "Yea, hyung. It was so, what's the word I'm looking for? Creepy" Youngjae commented. "Aww, give him a break guys. He finally found his mate. And a pretty one, too" Yugyeom beamed. "So this was the reason why you wanted us to attend school, huh?" Jinyoung asked. "I just can't believe our leader here was able to get us all enrolled so quickly" Bambam replied. "Well, you know. I have my ways" Jay B hummed.

 

---------------------

 

As soon as Mark got home from the bookstore and went to his room, he immediately proceeded to go back downstairs and called a house meeting. Everyone stopped what they were doing and gathered in the living room. As Mark told them about what just happened, he immediately sprang the idea of school onto his pack. "You want us to what?!" They all asked in unison, obviously confused about the topic of going to a human school. "Do we have to?" Youngjae was already starting to grumble and whine. "I don't mind really. This could be fun for all of us" Jinyoung agreed. "Yea, nothing says fun like a bunch of hormonal and moody teenagers all gathered in one place" Jackson sarcastically replied. Everyone was arguing back and forth until the alpha spoke up. "We're all going." A silent pause, which was erupted again with arguments. "Listen to me. All of you. We're doing this for Mark. If his mate attends that school then we have to be there as well. She'll be joining our pack one day so it's best we get to know her sooner rather than later." Everyone didn't try to argue with Jay B's logic. "Wait. Isn't it kinda late to enroll?" Jinyoung asked. "You guys just leave that to me. Tomorrow we'll head to the school and take care of our enrollment. After that, we'll head into town to buy our uniforms and supplies." Everyone agreed to Jay B's plans for the following day. "Oh! Can we buy snacks tomorrow too since we're in town?" Yugyeom asked, trying to convince the leader with his puppy dog eyes. "I second that notion" Bambam raised his hand in agreement. "Fine." The two youngest cheered and everyone dispersed. "Thanks for doing this Jay B" Mark thanked him before Jay B could turn to go. He placed a hand on Mark's shoulder and gave him a smile. "No problem, man."

 

---------------------

 

You were at your locker, getting ready to leave before you felt someone grab your arm. "Hey! What's gotten into you? Yuri asked. "You mean you didn't notice? That guy, I think his name was Mark, kept staring at me the whole time during class." Yuri pondered your reaction for a moment and came to a conclusion. "Maybe he just likes you?" You started walking towards the stairs. "Yea, well, if that's the case I don't have time for it. Boys are the last thing on my mind right now. And a relationship? No way." The two of you kept talking as you made your way towards the roof. "Well, why not? He's pretty cute." You turned your head towards Yuri and asked a question of your own. "And what about you? Do you found any one of them interesting?" Yuri didn't hesitate with her reply. "They're pretty handsome, I'll admit. But this girl has got no time for dating. Not when I have outfits to make and design!" You gave a small laugh, admiring your friend for her focus on pursuing her goals. "Speaking of designs, were you able to complete your latest one?" At the mention of her design, Yuri's eyes started to sparkle as she gave you an enthusiastic response. "I should have it ready by the weekend! Can you come over and model it for me? I need to take some photos." You were always happy to model Yuri's design for her. Seeing the joy on her face also fills you with a sense of happiness and aspiration. "Of course. I'd be happy to!"

 

Lunch time rolled around as you and Yuri grabbed your lunches and starting heading towards the roof. It was your favorite spot to hang out and chat since rarely anyone goes up there. Plus, news of the new students already spread like wildfire and the two of you didn't want to hear any screaming fangirls. Lunch passed by as the two of you ate and talked about random topics. The rest of the day also went by rather quickly and the two of you were headed towards your last class of the day, PE. To your surprise, the new students had all of the same classes as you and Yuri. Everyone changed into their gym clothes and made their way towards the gym. As soon as all the students were accounted for, the teacher led you all outside towards the track field. "Alright, now I know that it's only the first day of class, but I would like to evaluate your performance so I'll get a better understanding of what to expect out of all of you. So everyone, grab a partner for some stretches. Once you're done warming up, I want all of you to run three laps around the track." Everyone let out whines and groans at having to be pushed so hard the first day. "I don't want to hear any whining. Now let's get started people. As soon as you finish all three laps, give me your time of completion and you're free to go home." Everyone started getting into pairs, realizing that they can leave early once they finish up. You partnered up with Yuri and began your stretches. After that, the two of you started your lap together.

 

You barely made it halfway through the track when you could hear Yuri starting to complain. "Ugh, it's only the first day. Why is he being so brutal towards us?" You knew how Yuri detest anything relating to physical activity. "C'mon. Work those chicken legs of yours into shape. How else do you intend to last on your endless shopping spree?" you teased. "Excuse me, how are you able to endure this? We're both the same body type yet you somehow manage to do this without breaking a sweat." Yuri was already starting to huff and puff as she ran. "I guess I just have more stamina than you. I'm gonna go on ahead. Are you gonna be okay on your own?" She waved her hand at you and gave you a nod, letting you know to continue on without her. As you ran ahead, you started to daydream about random things until you felt someone next to you. Thinking that Yuri finally caught up, you turned your head, only to be met by Mark and his mesmerizing smile.

 

"Hi" he said with a smile. "Hello" you responded as you turned your head forward. "Do you remember me?" you heard him ask. You turned your head to answer him. "Yea. I remember you from this morning." Mark was amused with your response. "Yea, but we already met before. At the bookstore." You suddenly remember that day at the bookstore with the stranger. How the both of you couldn't take your eyes off each other. "Oh yea. I remember now. What? Are you stalking me now?" you asked in a casual tone. To your question, Mark let out a twinkling laugh. It was one of the most beautiful sound you've ever heard. "No, I'm not stalking you. My friends and I just moved into town recently. I was hoping we could be friends. Maybe hang out some time." Even though you're already my mate. He silently thought in his head. You contemplated his offer before answering. "I guess we could be friends. On the condition that you respect my personal boundaries. And please stop staring at me in class. It's kinda unnerving." Mark was a little stunned by your straightforwardness, but he none the less complied with you demands. "You got it. Sorry if I came off like that. It wasn't my intention." He gave you another smile yet again, causing your heart to skip a beat. "Yea, okay. Well, thanks. I'm gonna go on ahead so I'll catch you later." You started running faster, but not before Mark could notice the slight blush appearing on your cheeks. My mate is so adorable.

 

You finished your three laps in under ten minutes. You ran a little faster than normal as you were trying to get the image of Mark's smile out of your head. Once you were done, you collapsed onto the grass in the middle of the field as you try to catch your breathe. Mark and the rest of his friends also finished in record time. You were laying on the grass with your eyes closed when you felt the presence of a lot of people sit down beside you. You opened your eyes and sat up. Before you could say anything, one of the boys reached out his hand and introduced himself with much enthusiasm. "Hi! I'm Yugyeom! What's your name?" You sat there momentarily in stunned silence, managing to utter out an "uhhh" until one of the boys spoke up. "Sorry, forgive our maknae. He can be a little hyper. My name is Jinyoung. We saw you talking to Mark earlier and we wanted to introduce ourselves." Jinyoung was holding out his hand towards you, waiting for you to shake back. "My name is Aria. It's nice to meet you both." You proceeded to shake Jinyoung's hand and then Yugyeom. Earning an adorable smile from the younger boy. The rest of the guys introduced themselves to you. They proceeded to ask you questions about yourself and the town. It wasn't long before Yuri arrived after finishing her laps.

 

"Oh hey, you're finally here. Guys, I want you to meet Yuri. My best friend." The group introduced themselves one by one to Yuri and she did the same. She plopped down on the space next to you as she was trying to catch her breathe. "I need a reward after all that running." You suggested your favorite milk tea place in town, earning a grin from Yuri. "Yes, that would be so good right now. You're paying, right?" You laughed at the serious look on her face. "Yea, yea. I gotchu." The guys watched the exchanged between the two of you. You were more easygoing around Yuri, whereas with the boys, your exchange was more on the cautious side. "Do you guys want to come too?" Yuri asked, earning a quick "yes" from Bambam. Everyone started laughing as you all proceeded to head towards the locker rooms to change. You all met up at the front of the school and walked towards the milk tea shop together. The two of you showed the boys around town and you all had a great time.