Chapter 4

Helpless

Three days has passed, and everything is still the same.

 

Yuju rubbed her eyes and placed her laptop inside her bag. She sat on her bed and sighed. She hadn't slept much since what felt like forever, but it was good to have sleep yesterday night for at least three hours.

 

Sure, the sobs were still there every night, but she was getting a bit used to it. She sighed again for the fifth time this day, brushing off the thought that until now, she still hasn't done anything about her neighbor.

 

“Should I really just ignore whoever this crying neighbor is? Are they going through a really hard time?” She whispered to herself. The neighbor has been crying for a week straight now. Frustrated, she shook her head and stood up. She continued her preparation to go to work.

 

As soon as she reached her front door, Yuju glanced at the door next to hers. Sighing, she locked her door and went on her way.

 

The day passed by as normal as it is. Tired from work, Yuju pressed her forehead on her office table. Without noticing the time, she fell asleep.

 

“Yuju? I think your shift is over,” the voice behind her spoke, while soft hands were gently shaking her shoulders.

 

She gradually lifted her head and opened her eyes. It was SinB, one of her officemates.

 

“Ah, yes! I'm sorry. Is your shift over too?” Yuju asked. SinB's shift starts later than Yuju's, so she also finishes up later. Yuju found it amusing that she slept quite long, even until SinB's shift ended.

 

SinB nodded. “I'll wait for you then. Is your home far from here?” She glanced at the office door.

 

Yuju fixed her things immediately as soon as she heard that SinB would wait for her. They never talked much, because Yuju was always quick to go home. SinB's shift finishes at night time, so they would only talk for a minute during breaks or whenever one reaches the office. Yuju would also work during breaks so she never had the chance to talk to anyone like this.

 

“Not much, just a few minutes worth of walk. How about you?” Yuju asked while placing the last of her things in her bag.

 

“Well, I have to take the bus. It's a weekend, so I'm going home,” SinB replied. “Do you pass by the bus stop on the way? Mind if I go with you? Let's part ways at the bus stop.”

 

Yuju smiled. “Sure.”

 

The two walked out of the office in complete silence. Yuju feels like she should say something, but the silence isn't awkward—it's comfortable.

 

“SinB, I just… have a question.” Yuju hesitantly asked. SinB looked at her, signalling the older to go on. “It's a weird question but, whenever you cry, what would comfort you?”

 

SinB laughed. “Are you going to console a love interest or what?” She paused to laugh again, but later continued. “Anyways, I don't like crying in front of people. But I think I'd like the people I love to leave me messages of encouragement. Just a message, because I won't like anyone to look at my crying face.” She chuckled again.

 

Yuju stared at the busy city in front of her. “Thanks, SinB. Sorry you had to answer that.”

 

SinB laughed. “You know, you can always talk to me.”

 

The two reached the bus stop. SinB and Yuju bid their good-byes, and the older made her way back to her apartment. She knows what to do now.

 

She immediately changed her clothes as soon as she arrived at home. She heard sobs and sniffs from the room next to hers, but this time, she wasn't hesitating anymore.

 

She pulled out a sticky note from her table and wrote an encouraging message. “Everything will be fine—not now, but soon. The sunshine always comes after the dark night.”

 

She placed the cap back on the marker and put it back on her table. She stood up and went straight to her front door. Sighing, she opened the door. No turning back now.

 

She sticked the note on her neighbor's door and knocked. One, two. Two knocks.

 

Then, she headed back to her place with a smile.