Chapter 6

Helpless

Yuju sighed while looking at her computer monitor. The numbers that she's working on do not seem to match the records she has, making the work harder for her. As an accountant, she feels like she's getting paid less than the work her job demands from her.

 

It has been a week since that phone call with SinB, and also a week since she started knocking on the neighbor's door. Everyday, without fail, she would knock and leave encouraging messages. She's getting impatient, like it's getting nowhere, but she wants to be patient with her neighbor. At least, she's getting sleep these days. Even just for three hours a day.

 

She sighs again.

 

“Hey, I'm getting coffee. Would you want one?” Her thoughts were disrupted when SinB patted her from the back.

 

She immediately snapped out of her thoughts and looked at the younger who was behind her. “I'd like tea, please… Thanks.” SinB just nodded and went to the pantry.

 

Yuju was able to give back SinB's pouch, but it wasn't a guarantee that she won't think about the picture she saw in it. SinB and Yuju has become quite close, but since they still don't consider each other as closest friends, Yuju refuses to ask SinB about it.

 

SinB came back with two cups and packed muffins in both hands. She placed both cups on Yuju's desk, then pulled her seat towards Yuju. Yuju uttered a small ‘thanks’.

 

“Having a hard time balancing those?” SinB gestured at Yuju's computer full of numbers and bank receipts.

 

Yuju sighed. “Yeah.”

 

“Take your break,” SinB said. “I've been noticing how you'd use your breaks to work more, but it's really gonna get in the way if you don't fill your stomach.”

 

Yuju smiled, and apologized. “Sorry. I just…need to finish all these.”

 

SinB frowned. “Don't say sorry. And please, work could wait. Come on.”

 

Yuju sighed and took one packed muffin. “Fine, thanks SinB.”

 

SinB just smiled. “You know what…”

 

Yuju lifted her head and looked at SinB, anticipating what the other girl had in mind.

 

“Nothing. Thanks for being friends with me, or for putting up with me.”

 

With SinB's statement, Yuju frowned. “What do you mean? Putting up? I don't get it. You're such a nice person.”

 

SinB chuckled. “Dunno. Guess I just don't like people in general so I'd prefer being with you rather than join any of our workmates' circle of friends. And thank you because you're okay with it.”

 

Yuju smiled. “Why would I not be okay with that? I mean, we're already friends now and that's all that matters, right?”

 

SinB nodded. “It's just… I'm afraid of people. Of them leaving me. I know you'll leave me soon anyway, because no one really stays, but I learned to just go with the flow.” SinB shook her head and laughed. “God, what am I saying? Sorry!”

 

Yuju stared at her. “For as long as I can stay, I will. But answer me, who hurt you?” Yuju chuckled at her question, and SinB laughed too.

 

“Silly. Go work now, I'll go back to my station.”

 

“Love you, SinB.” Yuju said out of the blue and SinB was startled, but the younger just nodded and smiled.

 

The rest of the day was just the usual routine that Yuju has grown to be used to. After a few hours of working, she felt like was becoming itchy. She coughed once or twice, then got back to working. She looked at her phone clock, realizing that her shift will end in less than ten minutes.

 

She immediately fixed her things as soon as her shift ended, with the feeling of wanting to get home as soon as possible. Her eyes are getting heavy, like she's about to fall asleep soon. She wanted to ask SinB and talk to her more about what they've talked about earlier, but she's too tired. Maybe next time.

 

She saw SinB look at her as she went out of the office door. As a response, she smiled and waved at the younger. SinB waved back and got back to work again.

 

Before opening her apartment door, she took the sticky note inside her bag and wrote another message. She then knocked on her neighbor's door and placed the sticky note. Afterwards, she immediately opened her own apartment door and locked it, dropping her things on the side. She threw herself on her bed, not even bothering to change her clothes anymore. She just feels intensely tired and sleepy.

 

As soon as she closed her eyes, her mind drifted off to sleep, not minding the sound of the neighbor's door opening and closing.