Chapter 5

Helpless

Yuju left her home with a wide smile today. There were two amazing things that happened to her last night—first, the neighbor stopped crying. She heard the neighbor's door open and close again around half an hour after she knocked. She doesn't know what the neighbor next-door is feeling, and she's unknowingly nervous about it, but at least the crying stopped. For a while, at least, because minutes later she can hear the sobs again. But then again, the sobs weren't too heavy to hear this time.

 

Second, she actually had sleep last night. She was surprised to have fallen asleep even after sleeping at the office. She must've worn her brain out.

 

She headed to the office even if it's a weekend. Well, Yuju likes working even on weekends. Wait, scratch that… It's not like she had a choice anyway. She has to send money on Monday again, and her salary is yet to come. She has to work extra hard so she could manage to earn more than she spent.

 

The day went by like it usually does. Yuju wasn't the only one in the office but since it's weekend, there's not much people. As soon as her shift ended, she called her mom. After two rings, her mother answered.

 

“Yuju? How are you? Are you doing well? Are you eating your food on time?”

 

Yuju smiled. “Yes mom, I'm fine. I just called to say that my work for today is over and that I'll pass by the bank to send you money.”

 

“You know I'm not after the money, right?” Her mother told her. “It's okay, Yuju. Everything you do is more than enough. I just want you to be safe and okay.”

 

Yuju chuckled. “Mom, I know. I'm okay. I'll hang up now, I love you!” They said their good-byes and Yuju placed her phone on the desk. She fixed her things and got ready to leave the office.

 

As she walked outside the office towards the nearby bank, she heard her phone ring.

 

“Hello?” She asked as soon as she accepted the call. The phone number wasn't registered, so she was quite confused on who the caller is.

 

“Is this Yuju?” Yuju frowned.

 

“Wait, who's this?” She answered with another question.

 

“I'm sorry, I didn't introduce. It's SinB,” the girl on the phone said. “I got your number from the log book yesterday while you were fixing your things. Sorry if I called, I just want to ask if you stopped by the office.”

 

“Ah, yes! My shift just ended. Why?”

 

“I was wondering whether you saw my small pouch on my office desk. Can you keep it for me? I don't trust anyone in the office, honestly, and I barely know you too, but at least I know you more than them.” The girl explained.

 

“I didn't notice. I'll pass by the office later again after going to the bank, I'll call you again later as soon as I reach the office.” Yuju said, and she was sure she could hear SinB sighing on the line.

 

“Okay. Thanks, Yuju.” The younger hung up.

 

After depositing money for her mother, she went back to the office to look for SinB's pouch. The guard was confused as to why she came back, but she gave an excuse that she forgot something important.

 

She immediately saw the gray pouch with a cat keychain on SinB's desk. Sighing a breath of relief, she put it inside her bag and contacted SinB.

 

“Hey, I saw your pouch now. I'll bring it home with me and give it back to you on Monday.” Yuju said on the phone, directly giving SinB details.

 

“Thanks, Yuju! I owe you a lot. Anyways, I'm sorry for being a nuisance but can you check what's inside? I just wanna make sure that everything's in there.” SinB explained and Yuju subconsciously nodded, forgetting that the former cannot see her.

 

She opened her bag and took out the pouch without hanging up the phone. She opened the pouch and as she took out all the things, she would name it one by one to SinB.

 

“Uhm, there's five, ten… fifteen thousand won, uh what's this—oh, foundation, eyebrow liner, lipstick, lip balm, a pucca keychain, a red box—wait, should I open this? It contains a… bracelet? Oh, and a picture—is this you? There's also a letter but I'm not going to open this anymore,” Yuju said.

 

“Thanks, Yuju. Forget that you saw those, I'll get it from you on Monday.” SinB said, feeling relieved but at the same time scared that Yuju might look into the box.

 

“Okay, I'll take it home,” Yuju paused, feeling SinB's anxiousness over the phone. “Don't worry. It's not my business so I won't ever open your pouch again.”

 

SinB smiled. “Thanks.”

 

As Yuju arrived at the apartment, she didn't forget to knock on the neighbor's door and place an encouraging sticky note on the door. But as she was falling asleep, she remembered SinB's photo. She can remember it vividly, and she doesn't even know why she's that bothered.

 

Is that SinB in the photo? And who's that with her?

 

But why does Yuju feel something about that photo—something like sadness, and why does she feel like she has to do something about it?