Chapter 1

Helpless

“Ready, start!” The sound of the video game that Yuju has been playing echoed through the room. She has been playing this game for half an hour now, but it's difficult to stop and quit the game—especially since this was the first time in a few weeks that she's able to spend time outside of work.

 

Living alone in an apartment that she has been renting for three years now, Yuju has been used to days of work-eat-sleep routine. Weekends were more of a rest time than play time. It wasn't easy to have such big responsibilities, but seeing her younger brother studying well makes her efforts all worth it.

 

“Ah, man!” She frowned at her cellphone's screen showing the ‘mission failed’ text. She pressed the retry button and closed her eyes, leaning on her bed's headboard. She quickly opened her eyes again when the game's sound increased, signalling the game's start.

 

Yuju almost dropped her phone when it rang, the game screen immediately replaced by a caller ID. It's her mom.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Yuju, how are you?” Her mom asked. She smiled, not caring that her mom couldn't see her.

 

“I'm fine. It's one of those days where I finally get a rest. You know? Work has been tough these days,” She said, leaving out some details.

 

“Are you sure? You're not getting sick?” Her mom worriedly asked. Yuju chuckled.

 

“No, mom. I'm fine.” A lie.

 

She has been suffering from insomnia, leading her to go through sleepless nights. It wasn't too serious, though, but it surely caused her to have fatigue.

 

“Okay... I'm glad you are. I'm sorry for asking you this, but, when are you going to send money? Soobin said he needs it to pay for his school laboratory fees.” Her mom asked her, with a hint of hesitation on her voice.

 

She didn't have a choice but to rely on her eldest daughter.

 

“I'll send money tomorrow, before going to work. It might not be enough, but I'll send again next week as soon as I get my salary. It's okay, mom. I understand.”

 

“I'm really sorry, Yuju. I wish I could go and work for the both of you instead, but…” her mom trailed off, and Yuju took the chance to cut her words.

 

“No, it's okay. Really. I just need you to rest and get well.”

 

She couldn't see her mom, but she knows she's smiling.

 

“Thank you. Ah, I'll hang up now. I need to wash the clothes!” Her mom said. Yuju chuckled and said her good-bye too.

 

Sighing, she decided to exit the game and fix her bed. She took her laptop from the table and opened it. Soon enough, she found herself staring at the various e-mails she received from her bosses.

 

She frowned. “It's weekend! Why are they still working?” She messed her hair out of frustration. When she opened one e-mail, she quickly saw tons of workload that one of her bosses sent. As a response, she rested her forehead on the table, desperately seeking for energy for the whole week's work.

 

She wasn't planning on lifting her head sooner, but she heard muffled sobs. Those which were obviously held back by a handkerchief.

 

She frowned and looked around, wondering where the sound was coming from. She's alone, isn't she? Where was the crying sound from?

 

She stood in front of the right wall of her room, anticipating every sound that she can hear. Yes, it was coming from the right side. Her neighbor.

 

She sat on her bed, thinking hard. She saw a moving company drop by some stuff there two days ago. Maybe… Maybe the neighbor was feeling lonely? Homesick?

 

Yuju stood up and went back to her laptop. Whatever that stranger is feeling, it's not hers to think about. She has a decent number of problems going around already, she didn't need another.

 

She shrugged that new neighbor at the back of her head and wished that insomnia wouldn't attack her this night.