Chapter 3

Helpless

Yuju checked her phone from the bedside table. It's almost 4 AM.

 

She grasped her hair and almost purposefully bumped her head on the wall. It was frustrating—she hasn't slept since she woke up yesterday. She sat up on her bed and rubbed her tired eyes. She had no choice but to get up.

 

She went to the tiny kitchen and grabbed a cup noodles from the shelf. She boiled water and poured it onto the cup, leaving the noodles to be cooked. As soon as the noodles were cooked, she grabbed the cup and went back to sit and eat on her bed.

 

She was on her third spoonful when she heard it again—soft crying sound. It wasn't muffled this time, like the person was too tired to hold her sobs, but it was silent. Yuju sighed and sipped from her cup.

 

“Goodness, does this person even sleep?” She whispered to herself. If she's going to guess, she would've said it was a woman crying... but then again, she cannot just assume someone else's gender. Especially not someone she's not affiliated with.

 

She stood up and went to the kitchen, placing her empty cup in the trash can and the fork on the sink. She took a bath and changed into her office clothes.

 

While drying her hair, she looked up and saw the stuffed bear. She took the money she hid behind it and counted... ten thousand won. Not much, but saving money as little as this can help her sustain her mother's medication.

 

“If dad was here…” Yuju trailed off, her eyes fixating on the stuffed bear.

 

There was a knock on the door. “Yuju,” her dad called out. Yuju wiped her tears off her face and stood up from where she was hiding. She went to her dad.

 

“Yes, dad?”

 

“I noticed you're crying… can you tell me why? You know I'm always willing to listen,” Her dad said. Yuju lowered her head and whispered. “The neighbor told me my singing voice .”

 

Her dad laughed. “Why would you believe them? Your mom and I know how good you sound when singing. A little more practice and you'll be the best singer in the world!” Yuju smiled.

 

“Thank you, dad,” the little princess whispered.

 

Yuju's thoughts were cut off by the sound of her reminder going off. It's her brother's birthday today.

 

She made a mental note to call her brother as soon as she reaches office, because she's pretty sure that Soobin is still sleeping at this hour of the day.

 

Looking back at the teddy bear, she remembered one thing her father always did whenever she'd lock the door and cry in her room. He would always do it, even during times that she doesn't want to talk. He'd always knock and tell her, “I'm willing to listen, Yuju.”

 

Yuju sighed. She misses her father so much.

 

She grabbed her laptop and put it in her bag, along with other things she needed for work. She ignored the littlest sobs she could still hear and headed out, carrying her heavy bag on her shoulders.

 

As soon as she reached her office, she called her brother. After three rings, Soobin answered the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Happy birthday, Soobin-ah. I'm sorry I can't go home today,” Yuju said over the phone.

 

“It's okay! I know how hard you're working there. Thank goodness you called, I thought you forgot my birthday.” Soobin laughed.

 

“Hey! why would I forget your birthday? You're literally the best brother I have…” Yuju snickered.

 

“누나! (noona!) I'm the only brother you have!” Yuju laughed.

 

“At least I didn't say you're the worst,” Both Yuju and Soobin laughed at Yuju's reply. “Soobinnie, I gotta go work now. Study hard, okay? Enjoy your day!” She bid her good-bye, hanging up the call.

 

Yuju put her phone on the desk with a smile on her face—in fact, she went on and worked with a smile on her face. She might not be able to send a gift or personally go home to greet her brother, but she's happy to know that her family is safe.

 

The day went on as usual for Yuju. She seems to have forgotten about her seemingly worsening insomnia. She subconsciously coughed and was surprised that her fatigue is kicking in. Again. No, this can't be. She still had to work so she could send money for next week's needs of her family.

 

She continued working, and fortunately, her cough didn't worsen. At least for now.

 

Yuju stood up and organized her things back to her heavy bag, preparing to get home after a long day. She sighed, feeling tired as usual.

 

As she reaches home, she went straight inside and left her laptop on her table. She sat on her bed and rubbed her eyes, forcing herself to stay awake because she still had to reply to her bosses' emails.

 

Then she heard it again. Sniffs and sobs from her neighbor next-door. Sighing, she remembered how her father would always console her. Maybe it could work?

 

Yuju stood up and changed her clothes. Right after, she went straight to her door. “Am I seriously going to do this?” She whispers to herself.

 

What if the neighbor wouldn't like that? What if they hated to be noticed? What if they didn't need help?

 

Yuju's thoughts were a mess. She didn't know whether or not she should comfort her neighbor. Deciding against it, she went back to her bed and opened her laptop instead.

 

Maybe next time.