Prologue

World In Need || BangTwice AU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun's POV

"His ice-gun only works 3 minutes after maximum use, it's not continuous nor advantageous for a muscle-type Level A buffoons who are tempting to rob a bank today. Yun-ho should call for backup, it's better for a duo to take down this gigantic monsters. Not only its stamina is vast, it should take an equal amount of force and mass to deal with it but since Gen-Z heroes are wielder-types, no one really uses bare hands to fight that's why it's better to fight it with a group of 2, preferably Hyunjin or Eunwoo's Earthshaker and Hyperblas—"

 

"Excuse me."

 

I was momentarily stopped from rambling when a deep-voiced guy in a bucket hat with gray mullet into the front line and stood beside me. I noticed the camera hanging loosely around his neck and thus concluded he's one of the press. 

 

I teared my gaze away from him and disappointedly averted my gaze back to the fight scene. I sighed for the nth time and closed the notebook I've been scribbling on for the past few minutes now.

 

The yellow tape stretched infront of me was really tacky. At least they could put an effort to make it noticeable. I swear police warning tapes and signs are much better before Super Tech rose up and took control over South Korea's economy and security.

 

But then, these Gen-Z heroes are…well how should I say it? I mean I'm glad there are still heroes to save humankind from these bandits that often pops up these days but I'm not really feeling this. The battles feels so rehearsed.

 

It's not practical to use Yun-ho' stage persona just because he's been in hiatus for 3 months, for the sake of satisfying his fans. Oh? If it weren't for Jinsoul and her samurai, he would've been rib-less right now. I mean can he see the muscles and biceps that those guys have to offer? That ice-gun connected to his arm takes a lot of toll on human veins and hemoglobin. He can't keep up. I wonder if he knew that. 

 

The waste of potential.

 

I shook my head and shoved my notebook inside my bag and placed my hands inside the jacket's pockets as I continue to observe the fight scene.

 

"Disappointed?"

 

The guy suddenly said while still continuously taking pictures of them.

 

I just scoffed, "Who am I to be disappointed? They're seen as today's heroes. As long as they eradicate the threat in the end then nothing else really matters." 

 

"Even if they're intentionally exaggerating the situation?" He said.

 

I can't help but look at him, "You know something."

 

"Of course. it's what a journalist does anyways." He tipped his hat before disappearing into the crowd.

 

I sighed and took one last glance at scene before me, Yun-ho, who's badly beaten was heavily praised for his hardwork while Jinsoul who just arrived—was assigned to do the cleanup.

 

What a mess. 

 

I'm just thankful today's villains are not that deadly dangerous anymore and can be beaten with only gadgets and stuff because if not, then this world will succumb into chaos.

 

I'm Kim Dahyun, just a freelancer who goes from scene to scene just to observe fights. I've always been a fan of Superheroes and stuff but somehow, the excitement dropped after the Solid 16 disbanded and was forced to retire. 

 

Sure we still got our daily heroes on the job but all they do is act as if they're in a theater. Is that what new kids these days do? I think that's a new trend. Besides, they're Heroes not Superheroes. There's a difference especially if the pure breeds got mixed in with these fakers who only depends on their gadgets. 

 

I can't help but sigh out of disappointment once again.

 

I missed the old genuine heroes. Maybe if it weren't for that tragedy then maybe the league didn't die out today. But oh well, past is past. Besides the sajaegi monsters before were already, totally eradicated. I guess there's no use for the real heroes now.

 

There are only 3 kinds of people before in my time: the Superheroes, the Villains and the Civilians. At first doctors saw it as a genetic disorder that might of have been caused by the dust the comets and meteors gave off during that 2012 tragedy but the widespread of different kinds of abilities dismissed the idea of it. 

 

Nevertheless, the acquirement of magic particles sparked up a lot deprived humans which caused the crime rate to skyrocket and thus giving birth to the Heroes League, whose duty is to serve the country and defend the nation from villains and sajaegi monsters alike. 

 

Yes, sajaegi monsters, who would've known that the meteors and comets that rained was actually a ball full of evil intents? Filled with different kinds of alien species called as Sajaegis.

 

Oh well, these doesn't matter anymore. After that war against sajaegis, heroes retired. The sajaegis' main core was eradicated and since then there were no signs of them. 

 

That continued for 30 years. It's already 2045, along with the eradication of the main core, the appearance of mutated babies and magic particles slowly vanished until it literally stopped. Making it hard to find pure-blooded heroes. 

 

Am I bad for even missing the Heroes League? I mean I did worked there and managed a few heroes myself but the association didn't end well. It was forced to shut down because of the criticisms they received and the society rejected them, saying things like they won't be needing them anymore since the nation was finally at peace and that their taxes might just go to waste. 

 

But the society today literally supports these???? The hypocrisy. This is why I lost my faith in humanity. 

 

I just shrugged and walked away, picking up my phone from my pocket as I did.

 

After a few rings, the other line finally picked it up, "Yo! What should I get for dinner?"

 

(….)

 

"You're too lazy to even go out and do grocer—oh I see. I see what's happening here. You went out and sleuth again!" 

 

"Come on Chae! You know watching fights like these are the only thing that hypes me up." 

 

"I know! But dubs it's dangerous plus I don't think Mina will like the thought of you going around town, taking down notes of Gen Z Heroes' battles." 

 

My bestfriend, Chaeyoung really knows how to shut me up. If there's anyone I don't wanna anger, it's not the villains, not the gen z heroes and definitely not the sajaegis—but the Myoui Mina herself. My other bestfriend who does nothing but pick on me and my height and leaves my mother jobless.

 

"No! No no please don't tell her. I just got my ears cleaned, everything sounds so clear now!" I pleaded.

 

"Good that you know the real trouble you've been getting youself into." 

 

"Just…look Chae I know it sounds crazy but these fights happen a lot more often and it has that distinctive pattern into it that I can't seem to get a grasp as of yet." I explained.

 

I can hear her sigh on the other line, "Dubs you might just be over reacting. 30 years may of have passed but maybe it's just your League skills back at the association. Listen, you have to let everything go dubs. Everything is different now." Chaeyoung's voice hushed whilest mentioning the League.

 

I can't blame her. What happened before and the League itself is a tabboo in today's generation. But then again, Chaeyoung's right. It may of have been the work sickness.

 

"Oh. Mr. Engine is here. Gotta go Dubs!"

 

Right. Mr. Engine. It's Busan's 2nd ranked Hero. 

 

I guess I have no choice but to buy a month supplies of ramen then. Looks like no major fights will be staged again.

 

 

CHAEYOUNG's PoV

 

"Oy, midget!" 

 

I closed my eyes and turned my heels even though the paperworks I'm carrying is so damn distracting.

 

"I'm older than you Lucas, at least act nicer." I calmly started.

 

His smile vanished and he went closer to where i was standing and propped his elbow on the stacks of paper i'm holding.

 

"You may be older but i'm your senior here little bud! How cute of you to demand for respect when all you do is scribble on papers." Yeah, yeah he is a jerk I get it but damn it I really don't have time for his right now. I still have to pick up dubs from the supermarket. She might get confused with self-payment and self-service products.

 

I was about to say something when a weight was added on the papers I'm holding.

 

"Lucas, can you keep your voice down? It's so unprofessional to see." 

 

Great, I have Lucas now Yuqi is here. 

 

She turned to me and smiled sweetly, almost toxic if you ask me, "Do these paperworks for me hun. I still have a party to attend to tonight." 

 

Party? 

 

"Wait, Miss Yuqi, may I remind you. The suspects of Bongsan Fire escaped this morning and the alert level has been raised to 2. Seven people are on the loose, with the other Heroes being inactive, we need manpower here." I can't believe this girl? The city is in potential danger and an arson might happen any time soon, a water wielder would be very much appreciated but She's gonna party?? Tonight out of all nights??

 

I yelped when her liquid whip cord grabbed my necktie and pulled me closer to her.

 

"See, I don't want to be embarassed by some employee who's receiving cash out of our hard work as heroes. So you better back off." She whispered with such authority and I can actually see Lucas smirking behind her, hoh, how I wish I could rip it of—

 

She let go of me and smiled sweetly once again, "And also, that's Ms. Phrasea for you." 

 

She left without further notice and as for Lucas here, he was reading the papers Yuqi left.

 

"What?! All these time? I can actually just give it to you? Man that's good to know! Paperworks is such a hassle. I mean I fight bad guys, that should just do the job." 

 

My mind literally went haywired right now. These dumb children really don't know how to treat workers and elders properly AND they call themselves heroes. Pwe.

 

"Lucas, it's important to update us via documents since your powers is basically from a machine drive attached to your thighs and legs. The company needs updates on it everytime. You know we're running out of resources." I carefully explained.

 

"Hmm? You're saying something? Ah, well be sure to do these ones too!" He harshly stacked the papers on Yuqi's and leaned his elbow on it.

 

He tapped the papers twice and looked down on me. Lucas just smirked, that annoying smirk from your little brother who always frames you for things you didn't do, that kind of smirk before speeding off using his machinery and basically sent all the papers flying.

 

Just…why did I get myself into this?

 

3rd Person's POV

Meanwhile @ 9:08pm in one of Busan's blocks, an elegant young beauty stepped out from her car and faced the long narrow alleyway. 

 

"The car won't fit in." Mina huffed but nevertheless walked towards the route, it's the only route available towards Dahyun and Chaeyoung's apartment.

 

Mina was normally walking when she felt a chill run down her spine, it usually happens when she feels like danger is near and she's damn right because behind her are a group of 3 old drunk men following her.

 

Mina's pace didn't changed even when she noticed them resulting to her getting dragged into a sideway while the man is covering .

 

"Te—why aren't you screaming?"

 

The two other guys pinned Mina's hand on the wall while the first guy removed his hand on . With this, Mina spits on the ground before returning an unwavered gaze towards him. 

 

"A person's hand is the most dirtiest part the human body can ever offer. Don't lay your filthy hands on me next time." After Mina said that she pulled her pinned hands effortlessly.

 

The guys were amused at this, "Oohh feisty I see."

 

"Boss, her body is perfect. It's been so long since I explored one." The 3rd guy on her left smirked while his lips.

 

A disgusting sight in which Mina had to divert her gaze away from.

 

"You young lady, you are coming with us and entertain us tonight." The 2nd guy maniacally said.

 

"Don't blame us. You're practically the one walking around alone with this y attire on in the middle of the night!" The 1st guy said excitedly.

 

Mina just sighed, "It's still 9pm and I can wear whatever I want to wear to scam off please before I call the officials." 

 

It was then, the 3 guys pulled out a somewhat used daggers coated with dark purple particles and pointed at her neck.

 

"Your heroes are a bunch of shams!" 

 

"Now come with us if you don't want to get hurt!"

 

Mina looked at the dagger carefully before averting her gaze back to them ,"You're right though.." as Mina was saying that she slowly raised her hands and pointed it at them, "…today's heroes are really a bunch of frauds."

 

Then suddenly a leg swung over Mina's arm and hit the guy's face, dropping the dagger in the process. The 2nd guy was taken a back and was quite slow to comprehend what was happening that the next thing he knew, his face is now kissing the floor along with the 3rd guy whose left lip bled with a crack on the wall beside him.

 

"Damn it Mina! Are you okay? Are you hurt? Did they touch you? Seriously I'll ing—" 

 

Dahyun calmed down when Mina encircled her hands around Dahyun's wrist. 

 

"You know I can easily take them down." 

 

"I know! But still Mina.." Dahyun's face was troubled, she was just concerned with her best friend.

 

Mina somehow didn't hear Dahyun's following words when she realized that the tofu was just in her sleeping shorts and sando with an obvious dripping wet hair, holding her eagle toothbrush tightly on her left hand.

 

She was torn apart what to describe the younger one right now, was it hot with cute or cute with hot?? But then she couldn't care less.

 

"Mina? Hey Mina? Are you even listening to me??"

 

Mina was brought back to reality and was mentally panicking what to say after blatantly fantasizing her best friend in front of her

 

"Huh? Oh uhmm Sorry about that."

 

Dahyun just sighed and pulled the brunette closer, "How many times have I told you not to visit alone this time?" 

 

Then suddenly Mina was back to her original self, "Excuse me Ms. Kim, but as far as I'm concerned. I offered you to practically live with me but you rejected me—many guys wanted to live with me! and I turned them down because of you— Now I have to travel and visit you daily to see and confirm that you're not doing anything stupid."

 

Mina had no troubles expressing herself openly like this to Dahyun because the younger one is as dense as a brick, she wouldn't get it.

 

"Okay fine I'm sorry! But hey! My apartment is nice and cozy, why not live there then?" Dahyun ranted as they started to walk towards the apartment once again.

 

"It's because the hospital is 10km away from here and my car can't fit in the pathway." Mina reasoned out.

 

Their banter continued up until they reached the apartment.

 

"I still can't get why the need to work as a doctor? Your parents left you vast riches." Dahyun asked once she opened the door of their apartment.

 

Mina just sighed and plopped down the couch next to Chaeyoung who's busy doing paperworks.

 

"It's what keeps me from boredom Dahyun. This is how we live now and probably for the next 50 years and so." Mina replied.

 

"Fair enough."

 

Mina noticed Chaeyoung's usual workload increased and looked at her with a worried gaze, "Oh my god Chae, are you okay? Why is your paperworks larger than usual?"

 

After Mina pointed it out, it took Dahyun a whole minute to realize the difference she failed to notice earlier, "Wah! Mina's right. Chae, buddy how are you going to finish all of these stuffs?"

 

Chaeyoung stopped writing and placed her commercial glasses on the table and faced the two.

 

"Just like what Mina-unnie said, I needed something to distract myself and not die of boredom like the others. We may of have cursed to live long but we're not immortals. We can die with just plain sickness." Chaeyoung explained.

 

"This is Lucas, Yuqi, Hyebin, Ten, and Felix's paper reports and I guess someone's gonna stay up all night finishing these ers." Chaeyoung added.

 

"What? But isn't it their responsibility? It's with the contracts they signed when you recruited them. This is unfair Chae." Mina argued.

 

"Yeah! That's basically bullying Chae, how are you supposed to know the updates of their Aids? Especially for Felix's, his aid is really intricated and somewhat nonsense too to be honest, who even designed that ?" Dahyun's remark almost made Mina spit out her drink (previously Dahyun's)

 

"A lot of work can save you from boredom Dubs, you should try it sometimes." Chaeyoung simply replied.

 

"If you're worried about supplies and neccessities then don't be, I'm covering you remember? You two are basically under my care." Mina softly said, the 3 of them may be the bestest of friends but at the end of the day, Mina is still the eldest.

 

"Geez Thanks, if only someone right here is not that too dense then maybe I can have the apartment all to myself." Chaeyoung said in english and scoffed.

 

"Hey! I understand that last part about the apartment and I refuse to leave this jewel. This has been my nest ever since the meteor showered the earth you dumb . I've grown emotionally attached to this place." Dahyun argued and proudly showed off her smile.

 

"Yeah yeah, whatever loser." Chaeyoung went back to her paperworks after turning on the TV.

 

"Dahyun how did you even know I was near and not to mention, in danger?" Mina suddenly asked when she realized how she wasn't able to notify the younger one that she's going to visit the two. 

 

"I felt your presence. Your presence, out of all the heroes I handled is the most distinct one so it's not that hard not to feel it plus my heart is pounding and I just feel like you're in some kind of a predicament." Dahyun shrugged and sat across the japanese hero while scooping and icecream from her glass.

 

Dahyun failed to notice Mina's meaningful, somewhat joyous, look when she diverted her gaze towards the TV screen.

 

 

"Live from Busan's highest building in town, Super Tech. Currently we are infront of the said building to clarify the rumors about debuting the first Pure-blooded Heroes after decades." 

 

 

The last line alone from the reporter was enough to catch the trio's attention, even Chaeyoung stoppped her paperworks and listened carefully.

 

"Oh he's here!"

"Director-nim! Director-nim! Is it true you're going to release a co-ed Hero Group?"

"Are they really pure-blooded Heroes?"

"Regarding the rumors of SuperTech debuting a group filled with pure-blooded Heroes then yes, I confirm that that is true. Seoul Branch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter