A/mbition

Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

▬ Chapter 2: A/mbition ▬

 

There are three ways to react after the first time a person sees a dead body. One, they would be traumatized for months on end but eventually, come to terms with what they saw. Two, they would be surprised at first but feel nothing and continue their lives as if nothing happened. And three, they feel the thrill creeping in their bones once they see blood pour out of the lifeless body that by the end, they scour the earth to relive that feeling and become the hunters.

Yoongi belonged to the first category. It took him some time to accept that he couldn’t save Mr. Jeon. Sometimes he thought if it was even possible to save him. From his experience, none of his dreams were possible to deflect. He could warn them, sure, but that was about it. No one escaped their fate, not even if they tried to go around the other way. That’s because, in the end, fate will always find a way.

People say that we sometimes attribute our career choices to events that impacted our lives. Yoongi wanted to make use of his ability to help others, although discreetly, in some way, shape, or form. However, the largest component in his decision to become a detective was to deliver justice for those who couldn’t protect themselves much as he did.

So yes, you could say that Yoongi may have moved on from the trauma of seeing his first corpse. Yet time couldn’t save him from the drowning sensation of having been inept to become a suspect instead of a potential hero.

 

Seven years have passed since he left his hometown. Now Yoongi was living in Seoul, working as a low-ranking detective. He was itching to get in on some action out in the field, but as a fresh graduate, he still had to learn the ropes of how everything operated. 

‘One step at a time,’ he’d always say to himself. ‘The taste of victory will definitely taste sweeter in the end.’

The alarm by his bedside kept beeping in steady increments. He was used to the sound by now as he had the same ringtone since he bought his phone two years back. Yoongi kept reminding himself to change the ringtone, but the only time he remembers to do so was whenever he heard the tone ringing again.

After a full minute or so, Yoongi finally stirred in his bed and fluttered his eyes open. He squinted at the dark, curtained window as he eyed the only source of light illuminating his room. He then flipped over and mindlessly felt for the phone he left on the nightstand the night before. Without eyeing the screen, he expertly hit the dismiss button, which stopped the unwelcomed ringing in his ears. 

“A cat, huh?” He mumbled as he revisited his dream. He looked at his exposed forearm, and a frown made its way to his face.

Yoongi sat up and ran a hand through his disheveled, dark brown hair. He let out a soundless yawn, covering his gaping mouth with the back of his palm. After taking a quick shower and dressing in his usual favorite black-colored attire, he took his phone and keys by the nightstand and headed out the door.

“Morning, sunshine,” a sleepy-sounding voice greeted from the kitchen.

“Didn’t seem like you got any sleep, Jimin,” Yoongi smirked.

“ it,” his roommate replied playfully, pouring himself a cup of warm coffee. “That monster had us work overtime. Want any?”

“Sure, but I’ll get it to go,” he replied, going into the laundry room. After a few seconds of shuffling, Yoongi came out with a step ladder that was around half his height. Then he reached for one of the drawers in the living room and took out a bandage.

Jimin got a travel mug from the cupboard and began pouring the hot contents inside. Once done, he turned around, grabbed the lid off the table, and twisted it back, all the while eyeing his roommate suspiciously from across the room. “What the heck are you doing?”

“Just grabbing some things before work.”

“A step ladder?” He raised an eyebrow coupled with a lopsided grin. “Really?”

“Helping out a neighbor,” was all Yoongi replied before he took the black backpack that hung from the wall near the entrance. He placed the bandage inside then grabbed the black motorcycle helmet on top of the side table. Then he went over to his friend and took the warm mug of coffee. “Thanks for this.”

And with the sound of the door automatically locking behind him, Yoongi started another day like any other.

 

══════

 

The sound of a cat mewling entered Yoongi’s ears just as he went outside the apart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter