Five days to fall in love (chaennie)

Sailing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaennie won the poll, so this is for you. So far this is the longest one shot entry for this compilation. If you'll like it. Enjoy. :) 

 

-------

 

Day 1: Monday. 1.06pm

 

Roseanne Park should be in the Guinness world record. Her mistakes for solutions on one math problem are record breaking. 

"Uhm... so forty-five minus negative eight is, ah..." The girl in front of Jennie clenched her jaw, and stared down at the linear equation on her paper. "Uhm..." 

The girl looked up to her, hesitant was visible on her brown eyes. "Uhm... How is it again?"

 

No wonder all their classmates had a crush on her, Jennie said to herself whilst looking at Rosie she was tall, fair, and gorgeous. For a teenager like her who's living in the era of kpop and anime, someone like Rosie is more attractive because she's glowing, she's fair and pretty. Jennie thought that even Kim tae hee would be insecure of how fair the girl is.

 

"Uhm...?" Rosie smiled hesitantly and tucked the strands of her jet brown hair. "Jennie?" 

 

She had gorgeous hair. Why do people head over heels with this girl? Ah, yes. It's because of that smile, that cute smile she's giving her right now. She supposed that was a perfect real life illustration of the relativistic perspective of deviance. 

 

Jennie wrote the rules of adding and subtracting integers and showed it to the girl beside her. "Rule of addition: like a sign, you add. Different signs, you subtract. You keep the sign of the number with the larger absolute value. Rule of subtraction: reverse the sign of your subtrahend. That's the second number in a subtraction equation. Then, proceed to addition. "

 

"Ah..." Rosie wore her half-hearted smile, and bore her brown eyes to the math problem. "You're really good at this. I'm sorry if I'm a little slow to pick up." 

 

Jennie stared at the furrowed eyebrows of her classmate while solving the math problem. A bit slow was an understatement of the year. She wondered, if the girl was on the CAT scan right now, how much of the brain is the girl using. Maybe none. She looks like she doesn't know how to use her brain. Maybe she should tell her that? 

 

"So what will happen to this..." Still Furrowed the taller girl continued like she's solving an application of the definite integral and not a simple linear equation. "Forty-five plus eight, the answer will be... fifty-three, right?"

 

"Yes, it's fifty-three," Jennie answered. "Do you need a calculator?" 

 

The younger woman blinked and stared at her. "Huh?" 

 

"Calculate, 'the small, portable electronic device used to perform both basic and complex arithmetic operations. It looks like you need one." 

 

Rosie blinked again, still eyes bore into her like the answer in Pollock octahedral numbers conjecture was written on her face. But that was stupid. Jennie was sure the girl didn't even know who Frederick Pollock was, much less knowing the precepts of additive number theory. She probably didn't even know what conjecture meant. 

 

"Ah..." Rosie laughs humorlessly. "Sorry, uhm... no, it's okay. Calculator was not allowed during the quiz and exams, right?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"So uh.... I feel like I'm too dumb to use calculator for this lower numbers, right?" 

 

"You're right." 

 

Rosie blinked again. "Huh?" 

 

"You're right. It's dumb. You're pretty dumb." 

 

"Ah..." The girl was dumbfounded for a second, like she didn't know what to say to her. 

 

Hmm... why? Jennie's eyes narrowed. She didn't get what she meant? Well, for the three months since Rosie became her classmate, it was clear that the girl was not just slow in math. She seemed to have problems with other subjects as well. Maybe she also has a problem with processing verbal communication? 

 

"Well, yeah, uhm..." Rosie laughed a little and wiped the sweats on her forehead. "Wow, I was sweating because of that, ah. So uh... This is the answer. This is really hard and---" 

 

"Rosie, what up?" The uninvited woman sat beside Rosie, she's one of their classmates. 

 

It's Lisa, the class Clown and self-proclaimed best friend of the campus sweetheart Rosie. In other words, she is a legendary sidekick. 

 

"You can do that later!" said Lisa. "Let's play volleyball while our professor hasn't arrived."

 

"Uhm..." Rosie stared at her like she's the wicked stepmother and she's Cinderella. 

 

"That's okay, right, Jennie?" Lisa winked at her. 

 

Jennie was stunned. Wait. Why does she wink at her? Are they close? Is that one of the secret codes by the teenagers? For what? Wait, wait, wait. She knows it. She read that from Manga. 

 

"Do you have a crush on me?" Jennie asked in a serious matter. The two girls jerk.

 

"Uh... what?" Lisa pulled away from her. 

 

"You wink at me. Do you have a crush on me?" 

 

Lisa moved back again, fear was visible in her eyes while looking at her friend. "God, it's really true. You're crazy--" 

 

Rosie elbowed Lisa, which made the latter cough.

 

"Hey!" Lisa scoffed.

 

Her tutee smiled a little to her while elbowing her friend Lisa. She was really good-looking. "Uhm... Jennie--" 

 

"Let's go, Rosie! Whatever, okay?" Lisa dragged her friend. "Come on. Bye, Jennie, we'll go first. Come on, Rosie. You've been tutored from morning and break, right? Miss Song won't get mad at you. You will ace our exam, so come on! And you already used the whole period for tutoring that's enough. All work and no play makes Rosie cranky!" Lisa laughed at her own joke and hit her friend's arm. 

 

Jennie crossed her arms. Should she laugh at Lisa's joke? Would it be considered rude if she didn't? 

 

"Hahahahhaha!" Jennie let out a fake laugh. 

 

The two women step back from her as if she has a venereal disease. 

 

"Ah..." Rosie rubbed her nape. "Uhm, thanks, Jennie." 

 

Lisa dragged Rosie outside of the room while laughing. ", Rosie, what's with that girl?" 

 

"Shut up." Rosie looked back at her. "See you tomorrow. Thanks again, Jennie!" 

 

"Finally! Let's start the game. Woohoot!" One of their friends shouted outside the classroom. 

 

Jennie furrowed. Well, that went well, right? 

 

She looked at the window. From their building she could see the volleyball court, and she saw Rosie running toward the court. Her jet brown hair glinted in the afternoon sun.

 

One of their classmates named Jisoo set the ball to Rosie and the latter hit it with ease.

 

Jennie tilted her head as she watched Rosie. She moved with such fluid grace it looked as if she was defying gravity. Another set was made for Rosie and again she hit the ball down the line.

 

She watches the ball trajectory as it lands, and it's perfect from the line. And Jennie wanted to make one equation for that.

 

Their classmates shouted when the ball went in.

 

She smiled and sighed. I know, right? She wants to tell them. She was sure that they're excited to make an equation for that parabolic trajectory hit of Rosie.

 

"! She's really good!" One of her classmates inside the room screamed.

 

She nodded her head, as she agreed.

 

"She looked like Park Chaeyoung from Lost without you, right?"

 

She perked up when she heard that. She moves a bit to them to hear what they're talking about.

 

"True! That's really her! The writer is so good, right? Wait, did they announce the release of part two of the book?".

 

"Next month, maybe?"

 

Jennie's eyes glistening, her smile widening and she fishing out the book from her bag.

 

Lost without you.

 

She grinned.

 

Hah! She knew her decision to buy this book was right. The book was 'In' for teenagers. She's sure that all of the answers about teenage life were there.

 

Jennie opened the book and started reading.

 

Their teacher for the next period was absent, that's why the volleyball game outside continued. But Rosie excused herself for the next game and returned to their room. Their classmates teased the girl, the latter shook her head. She sat on her seat, and she laid her head down on the desk, and closed her eyes. Five minutes later, Rosie was already in dream land.

 

Jennie closed the book and furrowed as she watched the girl.

 

Sleeping again? Is she sick?

 

She shook her head. Silly her. Is she really sick? That's only in Korean dramas.

 

The taller girl has been like this for three months now. Jennie is sure that there's a mundane reason why her classmate was always sleeping in the classroom. Maybe she's staying up because she's playing pubg or codm.

 

After thirty minutes and fifteen seconds, their Physics teacher arrived.

 

"Okay, class, take your seats." Miss Hwang ordered and sat on her desk, opening the book.

 

"Rosie," Lisa whispered lowkey and nudged her sleeping friend. "Hey, wake up! Miss Hwang is here."

 

"Hmm... Five more minutes."

 

"What the hell! Wake up-"

 

Miss Hwang's attention drifted to them like a laser beam. "Miss Park, are you sleeping again in my class? Roseanne!"

 

Rosie jostled from her sleep. "! ! The bacon is burning!"

 

And their classmates laugh.

 

Lisa jokingly nudged her friend. "Seriously, Rosie? Wake up!"

 

Rosie's eyes wide as her eyes roamed around the classroom, she felt her cheeks burning red.

 

Jennie is co concerned. The girl was so pretty red, she thought the girl's blood vessels popped.

 

"Uhm..." Rosie smiled hesitantly, and Jennie almost heard her classmates and teacher say-'awww'. She can't blame them because she almost did the same thing at the cuteness in front of her. She looked like a kick puppy. "Uhm... I'm really sorry, Miss. I was... uhm.."

 

The teacher huffs and fixes her glasses. "It's okay, take your seat." 

 

Jennie sighed and stared at the board. 

 

*

 

"I'm home!" Jennie called once she entered the house. Just like what happened every time she went home from school for three months, silence welcomed her. 

 

That's not true, she said to herself while removing her shoes. It's not just three months of silence. It had been like this for as long as she could remember. 

 

She went straight to her room and put her bag down on her bed. All of her things are in there. It was easy to tidy up if it was all in one place. After all, no one will clean up the mess aside from her. 

 

After changing her clothes, she sat on her bed. And just like her routine when she was three years old, she reached out her phone and dialed a number. 

 

"Hi!" Jennie greeted the line. "Miss Jeon, can I talk to my father-" 

 

"Your father's still at work. You already knew it, right?" 

 

"Can you please tell him to call-" 

 

"Your father's busy. When are you going to stop this? You're a big girl already, Jennie. You understand, right? Stop calling him." And the older one dropped the call. 

 

Her forehead knitted as she looked at her phone. 

 

Well, that was rude. 

 

She went down to get a snack. She needs to refuel. She can't study with an empty stomach. She opened the refrigerator to get her leftover triple chocolate fudge cake yesterday. She will make banana caramel smoothie and--

 

"No!" She cried out when she saw that there's no fresh milk left. 

 

She knew it. She should really buy three box of fresh milk for week. Now, her study and reading session will lessen an hour because she needs to go to a convenience store. 

 

Grumbling to herself, she went outside her house. 

 

Walking to the nearest convenience store in her house. It used to be her aunt's house, but she migrated to the USA. Her mother had always been busy since she was a kid. That she forgot to buy a house. When her auntie left last month, her mother decided to move into her aunt's house. 

 

Arriving at the store, she grabbed three packs of fresh milk and went to the cashier. The bag of kisses is calling her and she immediately shut her eyes down. She would not be tempted! Chocolates are not good for her. Her energy will crash if she eats too many sweets. No, she won't give in, she won't give in, she won't...

 

She grabbed the three bags of kisses. 

 

"Darn," she uttered. 

 

Jennie looked outside and saw the sky was dark. She's not a girl scout but she always has an umbrella with her. 

 

The rain drizzled when she stepped out of the store. The glass doors from one of the computer shops across the street opened and she heard the loud noise from people inside. 

 

Her eyes took a glimpse of their uniform and Jennie sighed. What were they thinking? 

 

Jennie jumped at the puddle of water. 

 

Rosie was probably inside the computer shop with her friends. It must be nice to be so carefree. Seems like they don't have any problems in life. They probably played computer games right after school. Are these people not thinking about college? Is that what 'in'? Is that normal these days? To be irresponsible and careless and--

 

"Thank you, Mrs. Son!" 

 

Jennie stopped walking and stared at the taller girl walking out of the bakeshop. Unlike her, the girl doesn't have an umbrella with her. She's not wearing her school uniform, she's wearing a cap and a mask. 

 

But she recognized her, alright. The strong broad shoulders, the firm arms and legs, that tall athletic built, that glow in the dark, pinkish skin--it was none other than Roseanne Park. 

 

The taller girl's eyes roamed around the street whilst holding the paper bag from the Son Bakeshop. 

 

Jennie raised her eyebrow. Hmm... Suspicious. 

 

Instinctively, Jennie hides herself on the lamppost for Rosie not to see her.. The girl walked faster. 

 

Did Jennie say that she's a fan of spy novels? Well, not really. But she's a fan of Detective Conan. She thought Shun Oguri was awesome in the movie version. And she wanted a girl counter of James Bond. 

 

Anyway, feeling like a ninja from Konoha, Jennie discreetly walks behind Rosie. Her cat-like eyes narrowed when the girl turned left from the end of the street. Where will the girl go at the part...

 

She gasped and put her hands on her lips.

 

My gosh, what is she doing there? There's a gay bar in that area!

 

Jennie put a hand on her chest. This couldn't be! Is she a dancer in the club? Is that the reason why she's always sleepy in class?

 

Jennie imagined Rosie in the smoky stage, lights sparkling, she could picture Rosie's body shining from the body oil, her firm abs. Yes, she was sure that Rosie has abs because the girl is fit and firm. Dancing. 

 

Again, Jennie gasped. Oh, no, should she call help? Call the police and file a case from child welfare and--

 

Wait. Where's Rosie? . She couldn't see Rosie anymore. She shakes her head and takes big steps.

 

And there, she saw Rosie again getting nearer at the gay bar. 

 

Her heart was beating so fast. She had to save her, right? It's her responsibility as the people of South Korea and as her classmate and math tutor! She needs to pull her again to the good side. If someone pulled Darth Vader, then maybe he wouldn't end up on the dark side. She had to help Rosie! Life is hard, she knew that Rosie was not intelligent, but there still so many ways and selling her body was not---

 

Rosie went passed the gay bar. 

 

Jennie's shoulder sagged. What, she's not a dancer? 

 

She's not disappointed. Not at all. 

 

She continued to follow the girl, and stopped again when she went to another street. 

 

Oh my god. 

 

She slapped her forehead. That was worse than gay bar. 

 

That certain street was known for having huge numbers of drug pushers and gangsters. Her classmate is a gangster? Like in the movies? Is that the reason why she has bruises? Drugs were inside the bakeshop bag she's holding? My god, they're hiding drugs on bagels? Maybe, they have an enemy and they're fighting every night. Gang War! She's probably the leader. Yes, definitely the leader. What's her gang name? 

 

Red Dragon? 

 

No, no, no. She shakes her head. That's Hannibal Lecter. Cannibal. Rosie is omnivore, she's sure. 

 

Black Scorpion? That sounded like . 

 

White ranger? Red one? Pink five? No, that's power ranger and bioman. 

 

Hmm... Lara Croft?

 

She was probably wearing a tight leather outfit when fighting. And there would be blood and sweat and---

 

And Rosie went out of the street. 

 

Jennie frowned.

 

The hell. She crossed her arms. 

 

She's not a gangster, either? What the hell was she? Why is she on that street if she's not a gangster? She's giving the wrong impression! Misleading! Why was she giving her all these ideas only to shoot them down? What the hell was wrong with her? Is she kidding her?

 

Still frowning, she followed her classmate.

 

She wandered around the place.

 

They are now in a safe area. Where is she going this time? Ooohhh. Right. She nodded to herself. On the next street, there's a bowling alley. Maybe, she will hang out--

 

"Rosie! You child! I told you to bring an umbrella with you!"

 

Jennie's eyes landed on the older woman who went out of the small yellow gate. The woman's hair is white.

 

Rosie held her nape. "Ah, yeah. But the rain was not pouring anymore."

 

The older woman grabbed the paper bag from Rosie. "Even so, you should-"

 

"Rosie Unnie!"

 

A small furr of ball crashes on Rosie's legs.

 

Well, this is not a fur ball. It's a kid. Three years old perhaps? Her hair is messy just like cat hair.

 

"Jinjin, I told you not to run and--"

 

"Unnie!" Another kid crashed on Rosie's legs, and she step back. "Unnie, Jinjin... she... she is teasing me! She... she...  my barbie!" The little kid stomped her feet.

 

Rosie shakes her head, ruffling the toddler's hair." Yes, yes. Come on, it's raining again. Let's get inside." And with the same fluid grace she used when running and jumping in volleyball, she swooped down and carried the two toddler in her arms.

 

"Get inside, Ryujin and Yuna," the grandma said as closed the yellow gate. "Did the bread get wet? These two are already whining from hunger."

 

"Yes, it's not wet. The paper bag was thick enough."

 

"Oh, I see. Go inside."

 

And Jennie stays still from the other side of the road, staring at the teenage girl carrying the two toddler in her arms.

 

Ryujins wrapped her arms around Rosie's nape and Yuna was buried in the girl's chest. They had the same jet brown hair as her classmate, the same silky smooth skin. If she went nearer, she was sure that they had the same eye colour.

 

The house door opened and the noise from the kids was heard. She was sure she heard a baby cry, too.

 

Jennie's lips parted, her eyes went up to the upper part of the house, the yellow signboard with bright green letters.

 

Obviously, this is not a gay bar. Not a drug den.

 

It was...

 

Tender Hands Day Care Center.

 

She frowned. Day care center. Huh. Who would have thought?

 

Her eyes dropped from the door. And her eyes landed on the pair of bright warm eyes.

 

Rosie stood frozen in the doorway, her clear brown eyes wide with shock as she stared back at her.

 

Well... Innocent until proven guilty, right?

 

It's not like she was stalking her or anything, right?

 

Right?

 

Right. That's her excuse and she will stand firm.

 

Jennie composed herself and waved at the girl.

 

 

Rosie's set of brown eyes stared at her so round while standing at the door of the day care center.

 

Jennie waves again; because it seems like the woman has become a statue.

 

"Hey, Rosie, what are you doing-" The older woman nudged the taller woman. 

 

The older woman traced the line of sight of Rosie and found her. 

 

"Oh!" Grandma smiled so widely. 

 

She never had a grandmother, the latter is like a perfect example of a kind grandmother for Jennie. 

 

"Hello! Are you going to volunteer? Come inside!"

 

The older woman went out of the gate, crossed the road and dragged Jennie. 

 

"It's good to see that someone would volunteer here again. It's just me and Rosie. What time is your schedule? How did you know about this day care? You're beautiful, you looked like an actress. I'm Sandra Lee. I'm the owner of this day care center. You can call me Mrs. Lee." Mrs. Lee said as she dragged Jennie with her. 

 

Jennie tried to resist but looks can be deceiving. Mrs. Lee looks like Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother, but the truth is she's the Big Bad Wolf because of her strength. 

 

"You're starting today, right? That's good! I'll give you an apron!" 

 

"Ahm... Wait--" 

 

"Don't worry, I'll give you a clean apron. What time will you go here every day? After school? That's great! What's your phone number? Give me your phone." 

 

"Uh.... Excuse--" 

 

But the grandma already snatched her phone. "Oh, great. I already put my contact number in your phone. What school did you attend? Don't forget to fill out the form,  okay?"

 

"Mrs. Lee--"

 

"What?" Mrs. Lee's smile reminds her of Master Tsunade from Naruto.

 

Jennie wants to back out but she can't. "Uhm... Nothing."

 

"Good! It's settled then. This is Rosie. Fourth year, ah no, she's grade twelve. She will be your partner here. Come, ill tour you around."

 

And because Master Tsunade-- Mrs. Lee doesn't want to let go of her, Jennie can't help but to follow the older woman. She swore that the former was using ninjutsu.


 

"I wanna marry a pwi... Pwince Charming when I grow up." 

 

Yuna put her head on Jennie's lap and eyebrows knitted as she looked at the picture in the book. 

 

And her hunched is right, they have the same eye colour as Rosie.

 

Jennie shakes her head. "No. No. Don't marry Prince charming. He's not nice." 

 

"But why, Jennie Unnie? He has a castle!" 

 

"You can have a castle, too. You should just study hard and become a businesswoman and become really rich. Or better yet, take up IT or computer science, then invent an electronic commerce company or computer program. That's the fastest way to become filthy rich in this day and age. Then, you could get into real estate and build your own castle. You don't need Prince Charming. He's a douchebag."

 

Yuna's frown deepened." Doosh... doosh bag? What's a doosh bag? "

 

"Douchebag, that's what you call--" 

 

"Hey!" Rosie had a huge smile on her face when she sat next to Jennie. 

 

And Jennie did the same too. Rosie is wearing a yellow apron like Mrs. Lee, and it tainted with juice and watercolor. But still the taller woman is beautiful. She had such a nice smile. 

 

"Have you heard what I was telling your younger sister, Rosie?" Jennie's fingers threaded the toddler's silky hair. "Tell your sister not to believe in stupid fairy tales and--"

 

Her classmate laughed and hit her arm. "You're so funny, Jennie. Uhm... Yuna, excuse us?"

 

Rosie was still wearing the smile on her face when she dragged Jennie on the exit of the day care center.

 

"Why?" Jennie asked confusedly when they were outside of the day care. "You think that my advice was not right? You don't want her to take up IT or ComSci? Why? Almost all of the self-made billionaires are under forty, that's the reason why they become rich in the snap of a finger. Mark Zuckerberg, Drew Houston, Robert Pera and there's so many to name. Do you have a way that I didn't know? "

 

Rosie's biting her lower lip, watching her.

 

The rain had already stopped pouring, and the sun slowly showed up again. The soft golden sunlight bathed her jet brown hair and silky skin, and for a moment, Jennie could do nothing but stare in awe. Her eyes looked golden in the sun, too. Like melted gold dipped in honey.

 

"Uhm... Jennie, just be careful of your words with kids. Curse words are not allowed here."

 

"Oh." She blinked. "You mean, I can't use filthy rich?"

 

"Ah... no, you can't use douchebag."

 

Jennie nodded. "Ah, okay. Why didn't you tell me right away? I'm easy to talk to."

 

The taller woman gave her a small smile and nod.

 

"So uhm..." Rosie heaves a sigh and rubs the back of her head. "Just be careful with your words. Come, let's get back inside."

 

And they went inside again.

 

"Mrs. Choi will be here any moment," Mrs. Lee said to them. "You can go home first, Jennie and Rosie. I'll be the one to accompany Chan.".

 

"But... but..." The chubby kid's lips quivered. It's just Chan and Rosie's sister who are left behind in the center.

 

"This is normal here," Mrs. Lee explained. "Sometimes their mother's are late picking them up. Working single mothers mostly choose to leave their kids here while they work."

 

Rosie smiled and sat beside the toddler. "It's okay, Mrs. Lee, let's just wait for Chan's mother so we can go home together."

 

"Okay, if that's what you want. Jennie, you can go home.".

 

"Nooo!" Yuna hugged Jennie's legs and pouted. "Don't go! Braid my hair, Unnie!"

 

"Yuna!" Rosie said sharply. "Stop it. Let your Jennie Unnie go home now."

 

Yuna's lips are quivering now. "But... but..."

 

"It's okay." Jennie sat on the floor and the toddler instantly hugged her. "Come, let's braid your hair."

 

Rosie shakes her head. "It's okay, Jennie, you don't need-"

 

"No, it's okay."

 

Ryujin went to her and sat beside her. "Kisses?"

 

Jennie's smile widened but she lifted her eyes to Rosie. She doesn't have much knowledge about high school social order and interpersonal relationships, but she feels like she needs to look and ask for Rosie first before she gives chocolates to her sisters. Too much sugar can make you hyper. That's simple chemistry and that's one of the things she knew.

 

"Is it okay?" Jennie asked.

 

Rosie nodded to her. "Just one, if that's okay with you. She might lose her appetite for dinner."

 

Jennie nodded and looked at the kid. "Heard that? Only one."

 

And Ryujin bopped her head and Jennie gave the kid a piece of her chocolate.

 

"Wow!" Ryujin's eyes rounded when Jennie started to braid Yuna's hair. "Ka... Katniss!"

 

"I know, right?" Jennie said proudly and smiled. "This is a Dutch braid. Cool, right?"

 

"Yeah! Do mine too!"

 

"Grow your hair first."

 

"Okay.".

 

*

The door of the center opened and Chan jumped from Rosie's lap. "Mommy!" Run to her mother. 

 

The kid hugged her mother as if they had been apart for a year. Jennie supposed that's how kids felt. For kids, an hour seemed like an eternity when waiting for the people they loved. 

 

Jennie averted her gaze and she bid goodbye to Mrs. Lee, telling her that she will go home with Rosie. They're walking towards the gate. 

 

"Uhm... so..." Rosie smiled at her, but it's forced. She still looked good, though. "Tomorrow again?"

 

"Unnie, I am sweepy..." Yuna said with her sleepy eyes, leaning to Rosie's legs. 

 

"Unnie, me too. Sweepy..." And Ryujin sat on the ground. 

 

"Wait... wait!" Because Rosie was carrying the kids bags on her right hand, and on her left hand was another bag, she assumed that it's grocery. "Jinjin and Yuna, come on, don't sleep here!" 

 

"Sweeep..." The toddler cried out at the same time. 

 

"This is what you get for not taking a nap this afternoon! ." 

 

"Bad words," Jennie reprimanded. 

 

Rosie cringed. "Yeah, sorry." 

 

"Let me carry your bags." 

 

"What?"

 

Sometimes, she really felt sorry for Rosie. She's too slow to pick up. 

 

She dragged out her words. "Let me carry your bags. You know? Those you're carrying? That paper bag, pink, purple and--"

 

"Yeah, I know what I'm holding," Rosie said flatly. 

 

"Where did you live?" 

 

"Why?" 

 

Jennie frowned at her classmate. She knew that Rosie was slow, but is she really this slow? That's a pity, she's beautiful. 

 

"Stop looking at me like that." Still, Rosie said in her flat tone. 

 

"Like what?" 

 

"Like I'm stupid and you need to repeat everything to make me understand."

 

"Well..."

 

Rosie laughed a bit and sighed. "-I mean fudge. Fine, here." Handing out the baby bags and paper bag of grocery, swooped the kids in her arms. "Our house was near." The taller woman walked ahead of her.

 

Yuna had her eyes closed, burrowed her head to Rosie's neck. "Mommy..."

 

And Jennie saw how Rosie's muscle stiffened and jaw tightened.

 

"So, will you come back tomorrow?"

 

She nodded slowly. "Yes."

 

"Good."

 

Rosie did not speak again. Fine by her, she was not good at small talk anyway.

 

Rosie did not lie, their house was really near the daycare center. She counted the steps. One hundred fifty-two regular steps only.

 

Jennie's house was bigger than Rosie's. It's an old style, but still in good condition. There's a garden and a huge garage but there's no car.

 

Rosie is able to open the door whilst carrying her sisters.

 

Nice. That's a talent for Jennie.

 

"Come." Rosie went straight to one of the rooms and left the door open.

 

Jennie put the bags on the coffee table. Maybe she's prejudiced, but this is not what she's expecting as The  Roseanne Park-Campus sweetheart, cool, and great in sport's house. She thought it was like a mansion that have an Olympic-size swimming pool.

 

This is the fault of TV shows and books. That's what the cool kids house on their stories.

 

The house was the opposite. Old TV, the one you will see in the junk shop. Refrigerator looks like an antique. Single burner gas stove. There's no painting or significant market value hanging on their walls.

 

If she would describe the house, she would say it was bare. Stripped to the bone. There's no computer, but maybe it's in their bedroom. But still, it felt as if even the essentials were lacking.

 

Rosie went out of the room, and closed the door. The girl stared at her, jaw clenched. She had always thought she was cute. Beautiful, even. But right in those moments as she stood there in the middle of the crappy old house with the shadows and grayish lights playing across her hard jaw, she looked older.

 

Mature. Beautiful.

 

Jennie eyebrow met.

 

"Don't tell anyone about this." Rosie's voice dipped in the lower register.

 

She nodded and fixed the strap of her bag. "Okay." Turning her back and striding toward the door. "Bye."

 

"What the hell were you doing there?"

 

With a forehead furrowed she looked back. Frustration hardened her features, erasing her cuteness, transforming them into string angles and lines.

 

"Nothing." That's a lie, but Jennie thinks that Rosie won't appreciate being followed.

 

A muscle ticked in her jaw. "You won't ask a question?"

 

"No."

 

Rosie's lips form in a thinned line.

 

Well, she supposed that was it. She turned her back again, reaching out the doorknob. "Bye."

 

"Our parents abandoned us."

 

Jennie was stunned, her eyes drifting to her fingers holding the doorknob. She heard Rosie take a breath, and the emotion on her voice was hard when she spoke again.

 

"They got involved in a pyramid scam. They even got money from our relatives. Police are searching for them. And they're hiding because of it."

 

She faces the girl and stares at her expression. Angry. Defiant. She looked like a fallen angel who had just slain a thousand mortals and was daring her to judge her.

 

"Okay," Jennie answered.

 

Rosie swallowed, clenched her jaw and looked away from her. "They took everything valuable in this house--Led TV, refrigerator, computers, cars. The relatives that my parents scammed are the one who took everything. I left Ryujin and Yuna to Mrs. Lee when I went to school. It all happened during vacation. No one in our school knows it. "

 

"Is that the reason why you're always drowsy in our class and can't do your homework?"

 

Rosie eyebrows narrowed and looked at her. "What?"

 

"Sleepy. Drowsy. Zone out. You're always like that in class."

 

"Ah, that." Rosie massages her forehead. "Yes, I guess."

 

"Good. I thought you're just dumb."

 

Rosie choked. "Excuse me?"

 

"Dumb. I thought you were just dumb that's why you can't understand what I'm teaching you. I'm getting worried because I thought I was the problem. But that's absurd. I'm smart, and you are the problem. And I was right. Now, I know why. There are huge negative effects of sleep deprivation on cognitive performance. I tried it once. I tried to sleep late for a week and I had a hard time understanding the easy thermochemistry problems." Rosie remained looking at her, Jennie frowned." Why are you always looking at me like that?"

 

"Like what?"

 

"Like you have the solution to global warming written on my face?"

 

Rosie kept staring at her, and after she held her nape. "Well... uh..."

 

"Do you have a problem with verbal communication?"

 

Rosie was astounded. "What?"

 

"You're always stuttering.".

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"That. You're so slow to understand."

 

A pinch of red ran to Rosie's cheeks but her lips jutted.

 

Jennie's eyes narrowed. Is she laughing at her?

 

"Well..." she said, still forcing herself not to smile. "God, you're so freaking weird."

 

Well, duh? Do carbon 12 and carbon 13 have the same neutrons? She rolled her eyes. "Everybody's weird."

 

Rosie grinned, and it seemed like the crappy house lit up with her. "Well, that's true."

 

"You're weird, too."

 

"Ah, really?"

 

"Yes. Anyway, I'll get going." and twist the doorknob.

 

"Hey, wait." Rosie walked her out at the gate.

 

And Rosie was close to her, and the wind blew and she got a whip of the taller woman scent. Antibacterial soap with a hint of rain and fresh leaves. How come she still smelled fresh? Did she get sweaty when she played volleyball? Maybe should ask what soap she's using.

 

Rosie kept on stealing glances on her, like she's a new species of yellow algae. She wanted to roll her eyes. Does she really think she's smooth stealing glances?

 

Silly, silly, silly.

 

"Do you have a crush on me?" Jennie asked in a serious matter.

 

Rosie choked and coughed. "Excuse me?"

 

As an understanding person she taps the woman's back. Poor girl. She must be sleepy. "You really need to sleep. Your brain is processing too slow. Do you need water?"

 

"No, I'm okay." Rosie took a three step back. "So, uh, see you tomorrow."

 

"Okay." She went out of the gate, but she didn't take a three step when Rosie spoke again.

 

"Jennie," she called her.

 

She looked back. Rosie looked at her, as if she saw a mushroom and wasn't sure if it's poisonous or not. But she smiled, and it's not fake.

 

And she remembers the screams of their classmates.

 

"Thank you," she said, the small smile still on her lips.

 

She nodded and walked away. Yes, she understands now why there's so many students crushing on Roseanne Park.

 

Aside from flawless skin and korean idol vive, the girl bone structure is superb. From the galaxy spirals and logarithmic structure. It was nature's definition of harmony and beauty.

 

Jennie therefore concluded that Roseanne Park is indeed beautiful. 

 

-

 

Day 2: Tuesday. 6:14 am. 

 

"HI, Miss Jeon! Can I talk to Papa-" 

 

"He's still sleeping. He's exhausted, Jennie. You need to understand your father. Stop calling him everyday." 

 

The woman dropped the call. She looked at her phone with a crease on her forehead. 

 

Miss Jeon was really rude. 

 

She dialled a number again. 

 

"Hi, Mrs. Song!" She greeted the moment the call was answered. 

 

"Hello, Jennie!" 

 

"Can I speak to Mama?" 

 

"She's in a meeting right now." 

 

She look at her wristwatch. It's just five minutes before the clock hits six o'clock in the morning. Maybe her mother was in video conference meeting. "Okay," Jennie said.

 

"I'll tell your mother you called, dear."

 

"Okay, thank you. Please tell her to call me back."

 

"Of course. Bye, dear."

 

When the call ended, Jennie grabbed her bag and went out of their house. She chose to walk her way to their school. It's good for the heart.

 

Arriving at the school, she scrolled down on her phone.

 

"Hi."

 

Distracted, Jennie lifted her eyes to the owner of the voice.

 

She almost covers her eyes at the shining gorgeousness of the girl in front of her. She is almost like a Greek Goddess because of her brightness. Almost blinding.

 

"Hi," she greeted Rosie. The latter was standing in front of her desk, a sweet smile on her plump lips and holding the physics book. Jennie put her phone down.

 

"Yes, do you need anything?" Jennie asked.

 

This time, the girl shook her head and was still smiling. Did Jennie say that she looks like a Greek Goddess? Well, she does, this woman.

 

Based on Greek mythology, if the gods were in their true form, they were so bright and so awesome that mortals would turn blind if they stared directly at them. She understood that as she stared at Rosie.

 

"So." Rosie sat next to her and opened her book. "Uhm... Our study session is still continuing, right?"

 

Jennie frowned. Why is she asking that question? Did they talk to stop their session?

 

She sighed. The girl really needs to sleep properly. "Yes."

 

"Uhm... I did our assignment, but I can't understand the number five."

 

"Okay."

 

Rosie opens her notebook and shows to her the problem that she did not understand. It's a simple quadratic equation.

 

She pointed out the equation. "It's looking for the 't' meaning that time when the ball drops on the ground. What's the height of the ball when it's on the floor?"

 

Rosie gulped. "Uhm... height?"

 

"Yes. If the ball was already on the ground, what's the height of the ball on the ground?"

 

Rosie brows met. "Well, it's on the ground, it means it's no longer in the air. It's not above the ground.".

 

"Exactly. So what's the height?"

 

"Ah." Rosie nodded, like she understood it already. Maybe she should give her a prize? "Zero."

 

"Correct. We need to find 't' when 'h' is zero."

 

"Okay."

 

"It's just a quadratic equation."

 

"Quadratic equation." Rosie bopped her head. "I knew that."

 

"Of course."

 

She grinned at Jennie. She started solving the problem.

 

"Hey, thanks again for yesterday." Some of Rosie's hair strands covered her eyes as she wrote. "Yuna loves your braid. She doesn't want to take a bath. She did not wash her hair."

 

"No worries."

 

Rosie looked at her, her soft brown eyes having flecks of gold and red around the pupils. The former returns her attention to the equation again. "Okay, so there's two 't', one is -4 and the other is +6. But this is time, there's no negative in time, right?".

 

"Right." 

 

Rosie smiled a little while encircling her answer. "I hope everything is just like a time, no? There's no negative, everything is positive."

 

"That would be disastrous. If there's no negative and everything is positive, then there's no negative charge. Positive charges wouldn't work if there's no negative charges. There will be no charges, period. Think of it like if there's no positive and negative charges, then we can't have electricity."

 

Rosie blink her eyes and gaze at her. 

 

She frowned as those soft brown eyes stared at her. She had gorgeous eyes. Sometimes, they looked like melted gold and warm honey. Sometimes, they look deep and almost orange, the color of dying sunlight. 

 

"What?" She asked with her brows knitted. "You don't know about positive and negative charges?"

 

Rosie kept staring at her, then, she shook her head, the corner of lifting into a smile. "You're right."

 

"Of course, I'm right." Duh? She wanted to add.

 

Jennie frowned. What? Why was she grinning like that? She doesn't know about electricity? Poor girl. Should Jennie give her books? 

 

"You're really smart," Rosie said, grinning at her. "Thank you. Oh, I have something for you." The girl grabbed her bag and fished out something inside. "We made this the other day. They like sweets. I know it's not good for them, but... well, they're kids, right? And we don't have a budget for branded chocolates. So, I decided we should just make our own chocolates. It's made from cocoa. And sorry if it's a bit deformed. It's the best of the bunch, I swear."

 

She put the wrapped Teddy bear chocolate on a stick on her desk. She's right. It's deformed.

 

"It's a little too sweet, but it tastes good," Rosie added.

 

She lifted her eyes to Rosie. She was grinning at her, her soft brown eyes warm and bright. She looked like her baby sister as she smiled at her. Innocent, sweet, trusting.

 

The smile on Rosie's face vanished. "You don't like homemade chocolates?" The girl rubbed the back of her nape. "Sorry. It's okay. That's a little sweet and--"

 

"No." She takes hold of the chocolate before Rosie gets it back, and hides it from the latter. "Thank you."

 

And the smile returned to Rosie's face and Jennie swore she almost heard the collective 'awww' of their classmates yesterday.

 

"Okay. Thanks, Jennie." And Rosie returned to her seat.

 

Lisa put her arm on Rosie's shoulder. "What? You didn't do your assignment again? What are you really doing?"

 

"None. Just sleep late because of video games." And she brings out her book and notebooks.

 

Jennie looked at the chocolate again.

 

*

 

Okay.

 

Should she really go back to the center?

 

Forehead knitted, Jennie goes back and forth on the lamppost near the center. She shut her eyes tight so she won't feel dizzy. It's one of the tricks she learned when she was young.

 

She just followed Rosie yesterday and she just can't disagree with Master Tsunade--Mrs. Lee. There's no reason for her to go back to the center. So what if she already signed the form? It's not like they can file a case with it.

 

She stopped and stared at the center.

 

It's too bright in the afternoon sunlight: the yellow signboard.

 

She rolled her eyes. The hell. This is not quantum physics. What is she even thinking?

 

She made her way inside the center. She's about to push the door when it suddenly opened.

 

She took a step back when a survivor from a zombie invasion welcomed her.

 

"Thank God, you're finally here!"

 

When the girl who looked Like Rosie pulled her in. The only problem is the girl has gone through a lot of torture. Is that a bubble gum on her hair? And what's that sickly green thingy on her apron?

 

"God, the kids are driving me crazy." The girl grabbed the apron and put it on her. "Mrs. Lee had an emergency and her daughter gave birth. It's just the two of us. Quickly, Mrs. Lee left her cooking in the kitchen, help me."

 

Before Jennie could even react, Rosie left her with the kids and ran toward the kitchen.

 

Darn, she ran fast.

 

There's something sticky on her legs and she looked at it. There's a little chubby toddler smiling at her. There's a missing tooth and some chocolates in it. She looks almost two years old?

 

"Wonder woman!" The kid shouted. "Wonder woman!"

 

The kids giggled.

 

Jennie frowned. Wonder woman? What?

 

"Fly! Fly! Fly!" The kid chanted.

 

"Ah." She nodded.

 

"Wonder woman--"

 

"Ahhh!" Rosie yelled from the kitchen.

 

The kids jumped.

 

The kid in front of her hugged her tight and it seemed like the kid wanted to climb on her.

 

"Fly! Fly! Fly!" The kid squealed.

 

Jennie clucked her tongue. Oh, well. She scooped the kid. The kid giggled and held her cheeks.

 

Ewww... The kid's hands are sticky. Jennie was sure there's a huge amount of bacteria in it.

 

She wandered her eyes to the other kids. Some are pretending to swim on the ground whilst the other making a pillow fort.

 

"Kids, keep playing. Excuse me." She put the kid down.

 

She makes her way toward the kitchen. And there she saw a carnage. Well, carnage is exaggerated. But it really looks like a war happened in the kitchen. The sliced cabbage and carrots are on the table. Knives and utensils were close to dropping from the counter.

 

"!" Rosie hissed while holding the glass lid to protect herself from the oil.

 

 

"! ! !" The toddler that Jennie's carrying giggles. 

 

Rosie turned her eyes to them and yelled when the oil splash. 

 

"What are you doing here?" Rosie asked sharply. 

 

Jennie raised her eyebrow. Defensive. 

 

"You screamed," Jennie said calmly. "I thought you're getting abduct by the aliens."

 

"Go back to. The kids, I can handle this."

 

Uh-huh. "What are you doing?"

 

"What does it look like? I'm freaking cooking here!"

 

"Hmm..."

 

Rosie gritted her teeth. "Soup. It's soup. Fudge," she hissed when oil splashed on her. She stirred the soup using a wooden spatula but the oil splashed again when she dropped the spatula.

 

"!"

 

The kid clapped. "!"

 

Jennie shakes her head. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Now, she knows where all the bruises came from. Maybe she bumped into something every time she's cooking or searching for the ingredients. She assumed the girl can't even boil water without getting burned.

 

She pulled Rosie's shirt.

 

"What?" The girl hissed.

 

She transfer the kid to Rosie and the toddles instantly hugged the taller girl. "Wosie! Wosie! Wosie!"

 

"Hey--"

 

Jennie faced the girl and looked at her intently. "You're ruining your reputation, Rosie. It's your responsibility to look cool and amazing in front of these people who have a crush on you. What would they say if they saw you like this? Did you know, almost every female lead in manga and Korean drama knows how to coke? It's required to look so ideal. You shouldn't just be good looking, good at sporty, you should be almighty. It's a must!" Jennie, turn down the heat on the stove. "Get inside. I'm cooking."

 

"What? No, I'm--"

 

She turned to Rosie again. "I'll do it."

 

Rosie frowned like a stubborn kid. "Look, Jennie, I know how to cook--"

 

She raised the spatula and the taller girl stepped back. "I'll cook."

 

The girl stared at her for three second before graining, and heaved a defeated sigh. "Fine," she grumbled.

 

"Go away."

 

Jennie turned her back and stirred the meat.

 

She heard the girl leave the kitchen.

 

Good girl.

 

Twenty minutes later, the soup is cooked. And they're going to feed the kids.

 

"I'm sorry." Rosie whispered to her while feeding Ningnigh, a one and a half year old toddler who hugged her legs awhile ago. "I'm no good at cooking."

 

"Hmm.." She fed the other kid on her lap.

 

"But I can cook simple dishes, I swear."

 

"Define simple."

 

"Fried like eggs, hotdog, bacon. I can do that."

 

"Hmm."

 

"Stop that!"

 

"Hmm."

 

She heard Rosie groaned and knocked her head on the green table. "I know, it's not counted. But it's the best I can do." 

 

"Wosie! Wosie!" The kid patted Rosie's hair. 

 

Jennie wiped the kid's lips. "Is that what you always eat?"

 

Rosie sighed and lifted her face. "I know it's not healthy. I'm trying to put vegetables on instant noodles and ramen. That's good, right?" Rosie watched her youngest sisters.

 

The two are already done eating and busy coloring their books. Yuna's giggling while hugging another kid. And they sing Eensy Weensy Spider together.

 

Rosie's sisters giggled as they sang. They look like they don't have a problem, but that's how kids are supposed to be. All kids should be.

 

Rosie's eyes softened and she looked away. She swallowed and took deep breaths. "Thanks for volunteering here, too. I don't know if I can handle the kids by myself." The taller girl stood up and put the empty bowls in the kitchen sink.

 

Jennie's eyes go back to Rosie's sisters. They're still smiling, laughing and singing.

 

And her eyes soften too.

 

*

 

The parents are on time picking up their kids this time. Jennie chose to wash the plates and Rosie cleaned up the main room.

 

"Jinjin, Yuna, come on, we're going home." Rosie turns off the lights and runs towards her sisters.

 

"Up, Unnie! Up!" Yuna raised her arms up to Rosie.

 

Rosie smiled and bent down to pick the kid up, but when she's about to straighten while carrying her sister, she stepped back and held onto the door frame.

 

Yuna squeaked and hugged her neck tightly.

 

Ryunjin screamed and hugged her older sister's legs

 

Jennie ran to them. "That's dangerous." She helps Rosie.

 

Rosie brow furrowed and she ran her fingers through her brown hair. "I'm okay. I got a bit dizzy."

 

"Sit down."

 

Rosie shook her head, and lifted the corner of her lips. "I'm good. Let's go"

 

She was not good. She looked tired. It was hard to notice the girl. She's too gorgeous and it's distracting.

 

"Unnie, sick?" Ryujin asked iwtu knitted forehead. The kid's lips pout and eyes turning red. "Unnie, don't get sick." burrowing her head onto Rosie's legs.

 

"I'm okay, Jinjin." She ruffles the kid's hair. "Okay, let's go home."

 

"You should tell someone, Rosie.".

 

The girl stopped and gazed at her. "Nah. It's okay. I just got dizzy-"

 

"Don't act dumb. Tell someone about your situation."

 

"Dumb is your favorite adjective, no?" She opened the door and they went out.

 

"Not really." Jennie followed, she helped the girl close the door. "But you're changing the subject. You can't go on like this. You have to ask for someone's help."

 

"There's no one to help."

 

"The teachers, I'm sure there's something they can do."

 

"Like what?" Rosie smiled sarcastically. "They won't give me assignments? They won't fail my grades even if I'm always absent and failing my exams?"

 

"No. But maybe they will let you do your lectures in your home. Like home schooling. I'm sure they would understand and make some considerations. That would make things easier."

 

"Yeah, that would work." Rosie turned her back and swooped Ryujin and took a big step toward the gate.

 

She makes huge strides to catch them.

 

"How about your relatives? There should be at least-"

 

"You didn't listened to my story yesterday?" Rosie cut her off firmly. "Even our relatives got scammed by our parents. There are no relatives to help us."

 

"The help desk in our community. There has to be some program for-"

 

"They will get my sisters and bring them to child welfare. And that's just ing awesome."

 

In hindsight, she realized the f-word should have warned her to shut up. But that's hindsight, and this is present. And she was never really good at shutting up, anyway. Jennie continued. "Then maybe you could--"

 

Rosie faced her, staring at her coldly. "Just shut up, okay? I'm not asking for your help. You think this is some equation you can solve? Some ing science project you want to analyze and work out? It's not. This is not your clear-cut mathematical theorem, Jennie. This is ing real life. If I've been bothering you with my problems, then, I'm sorry. I'll try not to bother you again. You don't know what I'm going through so just back off and mind your own ing business, will you?"

 

She felt Rosie's anger like a physical force. It blaze in her eyes, radiating off her skin, pulsed in the air around her.

 

Yuna sniffed, lips quivering when she buried her face to Rosie's neck." U-unnie...".

 

And just like that, Ryujin sniffed and started crying. Hugging her sister so tight. 

 

They were a sight to behold. One girl suppressing her anger, and two kids crying. Three wounded angels. Two crying baby angels, and one bloody, furious angel. 

 

She supposed that made her the evil monster. 

 

The taller girl closed her eyes tight. "It's okay, I'm not angry." 

 

Rosie sighed deeply and opened her eyes. Her eyes had turned back to their usual golden softness. But Jennie could see the exhaustion, the tightly controlled emotions. "Jennie, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--" 

 

Jennie shook her head, backing away. Her heart is hammering and her chest tightening. Maybe she's about to get sick. Yes, that was it. 

 

"No. I'm sorry," she muttered lowly. Why does her voice sound so hoarse? Weird. "I'll get going."

 

She walked past them, not looking back. 

 

Arriving at their house, she went straight to her room. She grabbed her phone and dialled a number. 

 

"Hello, Miss Jeon--"

 

"He's not home yet. I'll tell him to calm you when he's home. Bye."

 

The call ended. 

 

She closed her eyes and dialled a number again. 

 

"Kim Corporation, how can I help you?" 

 

"Mrs. Song--"

 

"Oh, Jennie! Hello, dear. Your mother is in a meeting right now."

 

"Oh."

 

"Are you okay, dear? Your voice sounds different."

 

She swallowed to ease the heavy feeling inside her. "No, I'm okay."

 

"Well,if that's--oh, there's an incoming call, dear. I'll tell your mother to call you, okay?"

 

"Okay."

 

Again, the call ended.

 

"I'm okay," Jennie said to herself. She opened her eyes and stared at the window. "I'm okay." 

 

-

 

Day 3: Wednesday. 5:45am. 

 

Unnie! Unnie! Wake up! Waaaake upppp! 

 

Rosie groaned, slowly lifting her head off of the table.

 

Unnie! Unnie! Wake up! Waaaake upppp!

 

"." 

 

She irritably rubbed her face and turned off the alarm of her phone. And it almost dropped that made her scream and dove on the ground to catch it. 

 

She held her chest. , that made her nervous suddenly. Because she couldn't afford to buy another phone. 

 

It's already quarter to six. 

 

"." She cleaned the papers on the table. So glad that she turned off her ice age computer before she fell asleep. 

 

She ran towards the kitchen to cook their breakfast. 

 

She still has thirty pages of manuscript that she needs to finish. She had to insert at least five more romantic scenes before the happy ever after. Then, she had to  start another one.

 

Yes, you heard that right. Manuscript. Romance scenes. Happy ever after. She's a freaking romance writer. Actually, Young Adult writer, the one that is very popular with teenagers these days.

 

Her lips form in a thinned line while she's cooking egg and thinking about her story. Her characters should go to the amusement park, she thought.

 

"No, no." She shakes her head. "That's cliché."

 

She put another egg on the pan and eyes drifted to the window. Will it rain?

 

Her eyes rounded 

 

"That's it! It's going to rain and they need to share an umbrella! Yeah, I can work that."

 

After cooking, she prepared the food on the table and went upstairs to wake her little cute monsters.

 

Knocking on the door. "Wake up, sleepy heads!"

 

The kids are in deep slumber and snoring.

 

She grinned and picked them up.

 

"Wake up, wake up!" Rosie said in a singsong tone while carrying them toward the kitchen.

 

"Spa... spider web..." Ryujin raised her hand and pretending to shoot webs in the air like Spider-Man.

 

She laughed and kissed her sister's head.

 

"Wake up, we'll eat."

 

"Hmm..." Yuna buries her head on her neck. "Chocolate kisses."

 

She was stunned for a moment and her smile washed off.

 

Chocolate kisses.

 

Long silky hair, fair smooth skin and deep dark eyes.

 

Jennie.

 

She shut her eyes and shook her head.

 

"Wake up," Rosie said again. "We'll eat. Wash your face and hands first."

 

She helped them wash their faces.

 

"Don't play with food," she reprimanded while eating.

 

After eating their breakfast, they showered and Rosie made sure that every electric was turned off before they left the house.

 

"A-B-C-D-E-F-G!" They sing at the same time while walking their way to the center. "H-J-K--"

 

"No!" Ryujin dramatically shakes her head to Yuna. "H-I-J-K! There's I! I!" She puffed.

 

"No!" Yuna argued and put her hands on her waist. "There's no I! H-J-K!"

 

"There's an I, Yuna," Rosie butted in.

 

Yuna pouted but nodded in the end. "Okay. H-I-J-K!"

 

After dropping her sisters in the center, Rosie ran to her school. She didn't bother to commute as she needed to save every last drop of the cent. And the exercise was good for her.

 

Okay, she said to herself while running. So it's raining and they will share umbrellas. Then, maybe they got stranded on the abandoned building? Yeah. That's it. The rain was too heavy, that's why they needed to wait for it to stop.

 

Her eyebrows narrowed and she shook her head.

 

"No," she muttered.

 

That's so cliché. How many times 'stranded in one place because it's raining trope?

 

"Ugh," Rosie groaned.

 

Who the hell said that it's easy to write romance? Freaking liars. Truth was, she'd never thought she'd be a romance writer. She'd never thought she'd be a writer, period. Although writing is her hidden hobby when she's in grade school, she never thought that she would submit manuscripts to one of the publishing companies.

 

The door opened on the side of the street and she smelled the bread from Mrs. Son's bakeshop.

 

She smiled and waved at the owner when she saw her. The older woman knew her situation, and if she passed by after afternoon, the older woman always handed her different kinds of bread. There's only a few people who know what happened to their family, those who knew are helping them.

 

Rosie sighed she really should apologise to Jennie again.

 

She arrived at the gate of their school and the guard let her in. She stopped right in front of their classroom door and bit her lower lip.

 

She could do this. She was not a jerk. She was just stressed yesterday, that's why she became defensive. But she knew how to apologize when she's wrong.

 

She let out a heavy breath and went inside the room.

 

She lifted her arm to wave and plaster a smile. "HI, Je-"

 

She stopped when she saw that Jennie was not there.

 

"Oh, good, you're not late today." Lisa went to her, and nudged her "What are you doing?"

 

Rosie put her hand down and frowning, she looked at her friend. "Why is Jennie still not here?"

 

"I don't know. Why are you asking her to help you with your assignment? What? Maybe I have answers."

 

Rosie frown deepened. Jennie was never late.

 

In the three months since the girl transferred to their school, she was always sitting on her chair when Rosie arrived.

 

"No, but I have something to say to her," she answered.

 

"Maybe she's late. Or maybe she's absent. Hey, you should come with us later, it's Joy's birthday."

 

She shook her head and sat in her seat. "Sorry, I have something to do. Maybe next time."

 

"Tsk. What are you really doing? You're being mysterious."

 

"Nothing." She changed the topic. "Let's compare our assignments in math and physics." 

 

"Okay." Lisa showed her assignment to her. 

 

She stared at the vacant seat of Jennie. Why the hell was she late today? 

 

*

 

"Jennie Kim?" Miss. Lim lifted her eyes when no one answered her. "Miss Kim is absent today?" 

 

"Yes, Miss," Lisa said beside her. 

 

"That's her first absence. Did any of you know why she's absent?" 

 

"We don't know, Miss," Lisa answered again. 

 

Rosie can't help herself but to stare at the vacant seat of Jennie. It felt strange not to see her there staring at the whole class with her dark eyes. 

 

She massages her temple and brings her eyes on the board. Darn, why was she absent today? Was it because...

 

Maybe she just probably had a fever or something, right? She convinced herself. She wasn't like... you know, depressed or hurt about what she said yesterday, right? 

 

Rosie wanted to bump her head on her desk. 

 

Lisa nudged her, "Hey, are you okay?" 

 

She stop herself from groaning. "Yeah. Peachy." 

 

"Okay, class," their physics teacher said. "Turn your books to page ninety-eight." 

 

Newton's First law of motion is thermir lesson for today. Inertia. 

 

An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

 

What? It's like a ciphertext to her.

 

The example in the book was when the car stopped and the passenger still bumped in front. In motion of the passenger even if the car stopped.

 

She massaged her nape. Okay, she gets it a bit.

 

She wondered what example Jennie could give to her. She has the weirdest example. Well, maybe not weird, creative would be more appropriate. She can't say anything about the girl's imagination. She'd probably use Katniss and Hermione Granger. Or, any Manga characters that she liked. She'd probably--

 

"Hey." Lisa nudged at her again.

 

She hummed in response.

 

"What are you smiling at?"

 

Rosie's eyebrows met and held her cheeks. Was she smiling? "I'm not."

 

"You were"

 

"I was not."

 

"You were--"

 

"Miss Manoban."

 

Lisa straightened her back when their teacher called her. "Miss!"

 

"Do you want to answer question number six? You seem like you know the answer and you don't want to listen."

 

"Miss, no. I'm all ears!"

 

The teacher hissed and continued the lesson.

 

Lisa looked at her frowning. "Miss. Lim has favoritism, you're noisy too. But why am I the only one she called?"

 

"Shut up." Rosie focuses her attention on her book.

 

"Hey, did you know the book that Yerim was talking about?"

 

"What?"

 

"Girl, where's the metamorphic rock you hid? The Lost Without You. Everyone is talking about it."

 

Rosie stiffened, and she felt shiver down her spine. "Never heard of it," she said defensively. "Why?"

 

"It's very popular. And I heard the author was gay."

 

Rosie coughed.

 

Lisa patted her back "Hey, are you okay--"

 

"Miss Manoban!"

 

"Miss, I'm listening!" Lisa answered immediately.

 

And Rosie wants to put her head inside her bag. 

 

 

After her class, she went straight to the center. When she arrives she immediately changes her clothes, she has a spare of clothes here. 

 

"Unnie!" Yuna squeals upon seeing her. 

 

Like a tornado running to her and bumped on her legs. She laughed and picked up her sister. 

 

"Hey, what did you do on your shirt? You smell like a rotten egg."

 

"Nooo!" Yuna pouted and shook her head. "We're gonna watch Ma...Ma...Masent!"

 

"Maleficent," Mrs. Lee said, holding the remote control to start the movie. 

 

Rosie felt someone hugging her legs and she saw Ryujin. 

 

Her sister grinned. "Witchy, witchy!" 

 

Smiling, she locked up her sister too and walked toward the other kids. 

 

"How's your daughter?" She sat beside her sisters and picked up winter to her lap. The kid had the tendency to wander around. 

 

"She's okay. I'll leave you there okay? I'll just finish the food." and Mrs. Lee left her with the kids. 

 

Rosie can't help herself but to drift her eyes to the door every minute. She watched the clock, too. 

 

Thirty minutes later, forty minutes, one hour and twenty... 

 

The movie ends but Jennie has not arrived.

 

"Rosie, I need your help," Mrs. Lee called. 

 

The older woman prepared brownies and egg sandwiches. She grabbed the tray of sandwiches. "Mrs. Lee, I can pay for the fee this month--" 

 

"You don't have to. Your volunteering is enough for payment."

 

Rosie shakes her head. "No, I can pay--" 

 

The older woman looked at her sharply, which made her shut up. She may be seventeen years old but Rosie feels like she's a toddler every time she's in front of Mrs. Lee. 

 

"You're volunteering," Mrs. Lee said. "The parents of the kids are paying for the center, it doesn't seem right to not pay you as well, right? Even Jennie, we'll get paid, too. Anyway, where is she?" 

 

She knew an opening when she saw one. "She is still not here. She's also absent from our class. I didn't get her phone number and address. Can I have it, Mrs. Lee?" 

 

"It's on the form. I'll give it to you." 

 

Rosie stops herself from shouting yes! And to congratulate herself. 

 

One hour and thirty minutes later, they're in front of Jennie's house. 

 

Ryujin pulled the hem of her hoodie. "Unn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter