Chapter 0: Somewhere in the beginning

she knows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Past February 14 | Monday] 

 

A young Minatozaki Sana couldn't stop bouncing in her seat as she watched the clock on the wall beyond her teacher's head. She had been waiting for recess to start and math class with Mr. Douma wasn't exactly her cup of tea; she already memorized her multiplication tables. School was getting boring. The only thing that made 3rd grade bearable was recess-- going out running around the field with her friends and classmates. 

 

And today was extra special because it was Valentine's Day. She loved receiving chocolates and candies (jellies were her favorite) from everyone. But sadly the school only allowed them to exchange cards and stuff during recess or after school because it was apparently "such a distraction" to do it in class. 

 

So not true. 

 

Anyway, if she wanted to get more chocolates, she needed to go out and talk to more people. She couldn't do that sitting around in class. 

 

"Hey Rosie," Sana whispered to her quiet seatmate, "You brought those jellies from Australia today, right?" 

 

Rosie giggled. "Yes, they're in my bag," she replied. 

 

Sana accidentally let out a squeal of happiness, calling the attention of her teacher. 

 

"Is there a problem, Sana?"

 

“Umm…”

 

He folded his arms and walked around the room. “You’ve been awfully distracted today. Perhaps you would like to stay behind during recess to clean the classroom?” 

 

“No, Mr. Douma! Not today!” The whole room started buzzing.

 

“Well, you’ve distracted everyone else enough. It’s the least you could do for your classmates."

 

Sana sighed. There was no arguing with the teacher. “Yes, Mr. Douma.”

 

About fifteen minutes later, the school bell rang, signaling the beginning of recess. Rosie stood up and gave her an apologetic look. In that moment, Sana could visualize the jellies she’d been craving poof into thin air. They were bound to get snatched up first. 

 

At the front of the class, Mr. Douma sat on his desk waiting for the other kids to clear out and Sana to approach.

 

What kind of monster would assign class chores as punishment on Valentine’s Day! 

 

It wasn’t fair.

 

Sana dragged her feet the whole way to the front, looking down at the ground, displaying her disappointment for her teacher to see.

 

“Look, Sana, just because you do well on your tests, doesn’t mean you can distract your other classmates, okay? Not everyone is as good at math as you are.”

 

Sana pouted. “But today is Valentine's Day, Mr. Douma! The jellies will be gone by the time I'm done.” 

 

“So, you better get to cleaning.” He flashed her a big smile, handed her a broom and dustpan, and sat down at his desk.

 

A soft knock called Sana and Mr. Douma’s attention to the back door. “Hey, Sana! Hey, Mr. D!” 

 

“Oh, Dahyun! What are you doing here?” Mr. Douma asked. “It’s recess right now.” 

 

“I came to pick up Sana, we were going to go trade some chocolates on the field.” 

 

Sana grimaced. “I can’t go yet. I have to clean the classroom.”

 

“That’s right, she has to do that before she can leave," Mr. Douma echoed. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter