Chapter 8

YOU ARE MY HEART: Edited Ver.

Moonbyul was frustrated. She’d repeated countless times but Solar continued to cling onto her arm. Why doesn’t she get it? I don’t know who she is! Solar was giving her an unpleasant feeling, one she couldn't quite understand. What is this? Am I angry? Sad? Or is it something else?

Not knowing the answer made her frustration worse. The more Solar pleaded and cried, the more Moonbyul’s emotions became tangled; which added to her growing agitation. Moonbyul wanted to be free of it, she wanted nothing more than to make these undesirable feelings disappeared. The only way to accomplished that was to distant herself from Solar.

Moonbyul yanked her arm away, which knocked Solar’s down. She extended her hand but quickly pulled it back. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it. She gritted her teeth. I hate this feeling. She quickly walked off, not wanting to look back and see Solar, not wanting to experience that unpleasant feeling again. Why does it feels like I’m running from her? Am I? But why? She unknowingly wandered for quite some distance before stopping and sitting down on a bench. Her brow was furrowed as she tilted her head back and covered her face with her hands. She sighed loudly as she tried to calm herself.

'I’m your moon. I’ll never let your world be enveloped in darkness. I’ll protect you.'

The echo sounded like someone has whispered it directly into her ear. She jolted up from her seat and looked around. There was no one close enough for her to hear any conversations, let alone whispered words. She sighed once more and took deep breaths to calm herself.

Just then, a sharp pain pierced her head. It was only for a brief moment, but it did cause her to become disoriented. She held her head and waited for the pain to subside. After regaining her composure, she thought someone was watching her from behind, but when she turned to look no one was there. She sat on the bench for a little longer before deciding to head back to her room.

On her way back, she thought about Park Young-Sun and Jae-Yoon, and felt no unpleasantness when it came to them. She was relieved about the fact. Although she still find it hard to believe everything Park Young-Sun had told her, at the very least Park Young-Sun wasn’t giving her unwanted feelings like Solar had. Park Young-Sun is nice so far, so at least her intention is good. When Solar entered her mind, she furrowed her brow and tried to shook it off. I don’t want to think about her. The feelings she’s giving me is too confusing.

Moonbyul reached her room and began to undress. She had just unfastened the second button on her shirt when a loud bang rang out behind her. What was that? She jumped and quickly turn her head. Who are they? Two strangers stood at her door, one looked as though she was about ready to kill someone, but the other was calmer. What do they want? She’d tried speaking to them nicely believing they’ve got the wrong room.

Can I help you?” She raised an eyebrow, curious as to why they had entered her room.

Why you—!” Hwasa grunted.

Without saying another word, Hwasa charged at her and kneed her in the stomach. It would have been easy for her to avoid it; blocked it; or fought back. However, she instinctively chose to shouldered the blow without an ounce of resistance. Why? Why didn’t I fight back? What’s wrong with me?

Moonbyul was becoming irritated again. She was angry, but her anger wasn’t directed at the two strangers in front of her, even though one of them had just attacked her. Why am I feeling this way? Why can’t I explain it?

Hwasa was screaming at Moonbyul. She wanted to beat some senses into her, but Whee-In held her back. Why can’t I say anything back? Moonbyul held her stomach as she gritted her teeth.

It wasn’t long before a noise caught their attention and they turned toward the door. Solar walked in, looking more exhausted than when Moonbyul last saw her. At least she’s not crying anymore. A slight sense of relieved overtook Moonbyul. What am I thinking about? The unpleasant feelings returned and with it, her irritation. She turned away and sighed, why is she here of all people?

Hwasa calmed down at the sight of Solar, but Moonbyul didn’t care. She was already occupied in her own thoughts. Go away. I don’t want to feel this way! She could see Solar getting closer from her peripheral view. Go away, she furrowed an eyebrow.

Solar reached out her hand and questioned concernedly, “Are you okay?”

Without a second thought, Moonbyul grabbed Solar’s wrist and replied harshly, “no thanks to you and your friends,” before throwing it aside. Why did I do that? Why did I react that way? She stormed off toward the window to distant herself from Solar. Why am I getting angry? Why can’t I control myself?

Solar started questioning Moonbyul, “Why won’t you believe me?”

Moonbyul didn’t know to respond, but she didn’t want to sound angry either. She opted to reply in a cold manner instead, “Why should I?”

After their short exchange, ending with Solar sounding confident that she could find proof, she began frantically searching through Moonbyul’s room. Solar wouldn’t give up, even though she was failing to turn up any. Moonbyul clenched her fists, the desperation Solar was feeling, she felt as though they were her own. Why does she make me feel this way? Why can’t I get rid of it? I just want it to stop.

“Are you done?” Moonbyul spoke sternly, still refusing to look in Solar’s direction.

Solar didn’t reply. She kept on searching for her belongings. Eventually she turned to her friends to asked about the bag of clothes she’d brought in earlier that day. They both confirmed to seeing it the first time they’d entered the room but not the second. Without a second thought Solar turned toward Moonbyul and called her by her nickname.

“Did you see it Byul-Kong?”

Byul-Kong? Why did she call me that again? It gave Moonbyul a familiar feeling and confused her. What does this all mean? Solar waited but Moonbyul didn’t respond.

She sighed and forced herself to utter, “Byul-Yi ssi?”

An indescribable pain vibrated through Moonbyul’s heart after hearing Solar spoke her name in that manner. A tear fell from her eye, why am I crying? She couldn’t give herself an explanation. All she wanted to do was hit something. I don’t want to feel this way.

Moonbyul clenched her fists tighter and responded indifferently, “I don't know.”

Solar went into the bathroom for one final search, but came out empty handed. Although she couldn’t find her proof, she was different. She was more confident, assertive, and determined.

“I’ll make you remember,” Solar declared and promised to do so even if she’d to go to the end of the earth.

Please, I just want to be left alone. Moonbyul closed her eyes and sighed without responding. She couldn’t control the turmoil brewing inside of her. I just want my heart to feel at peace.

“Will you stop being angry if I leave?” Solar spoke hesitantly.

Moonbyul thought she would feel happy hearing those words but she didn't. Instead, it added to the aching already filling up her heart. She avoided looking in Solar’s direction, hoping that these feelings would disappear once Solar was gone. Once Whee-In and Hwasa left, Solar stood at the door and declared in a challenging tone.

“Know this, I won’t let go of you.”

Moonbyul turned around unknowingly and met the girl fiery gaze. She almost responded without thinking, but Solar left before she could. After Solar was gone, she turned back toward the window and slammed the side of her fist onto it. She rested her forehead on it, closed her eyes, and clenched her chest. Tears were wetting her face.

Why do I feel this way? The anger and sadness she couldn’t explain was overwhelming her. Who am I angry with? Where is this sadness coming from? A pain stung her deep within her heart. Whenever I see her, it feels like I’m suffocating. I don’t want to feel this way.

It wasn’t long until someone came knocking on her door. Moonbyul dried her tears and turned to see who it was. Park Young-Sun was waving and smiling, but waited until Moonbyul invited her in. Jae-Yoon was not with her. Moonbyul hesitated at first but signaled for her to enter, which Park Young-Sun was more than delighted to follow. Moonbyul continued staring out the window. Park Young-Sun came up to Moonbyul and slid her hand across Moonbyul's back. Moonbyul didn't turn around.

“Are you okay?” she asked, her hand was still on Moonbyul’s back.

“Yeah—” Moonbyul replied. “Where’s Jae-Yoon?” She changed the subject.

“He’s playing in the children’s room, don't worry,” she assured Moonbyul.

When Park Young-Sun tried to place her head on Moonbyul’s shoulder, Moonbyul avoided it by walking away, pretending she hadn’t notice. “I’m sorry, I want to be alone right now.” She sat down on the chair and sighed.

“Of-of course—I'll come back later. Rest well—" Park Young-Sun spoke hesitantly, her voice was shaking. She bit her lip and although she didn’t want to, she had to follow Moonbyul’s request.

Moonbyul stared at the empty room and sighed. What a hectic day, she felt exhausted. I wonder what will await me tomorrow. Will I have to go through this again? She tilted her head back and closed her eyes. I don’t want to think about it. I just want to sleep. She calmed her mind and dozed off.

She dreamt of a girl waving to her in the distant, calling for her to come closer. It was hard for her to make out the girl’s appearance amidst the thick fog. All she could tell was that the girl was cheerful and happy. She couldn’t help but smile along. She approached slowly, trying to make out the girl’s face, but it was to no avail. Even when she was standing right in front of her, her face was too blurry to see. She tried to shift her perspective and the girl followed along as she tilted her head. Her mischievousness brought joy to Moonbyul’s heart.

After a few moment, the girl jumped towards her and hugged her tightly. Her embrace was warm and sweet, a familiar feeling Moonbyul felt she’d been missing for a while. Moonbyul closed her eyes and smiled as she enjoyed this wonderful moment. A blissful feeling was fluttering within her as she hugged the girl. A feeling she didn’t want to let go of.

It wasn’t long until their embraced became strange, it felt completely different. Moonbyul opened her eyes and put some distance between them. The girl was facing away and Moonbyul tried once more to see if she could make out who it was. She turned the girl around and slowly her face became clearer. Park Young-Sun! Moonbyul was startled and fell to the ground.

She woke up drenched in sweats and gasping for breaths. Her heart was beating uncontrollably. Was that a nightmare? She wasn’t sure what was so scary about it. Maybe I’m just too stress out? She shook her head and sighed. She used her clothes to wiped away her sweats, although it was already damped. She sniffed herself, I smell horrible. The sun was low on the horizon when she looked out the window. It’s already that late? She grabbed a set of clean clothes from her closet and proceeded to take a shower. Not long after she got out, another person came knocking. It was a doctor so she invited him in.

“I’m here to check on your condition,” he spoke softly with a smile on his face.

Moonbyul sat down on the bed and rolled up her sleeve. As he checked her breathing, eyes, and other extremities; he questioned her on whether her head was feeling any pain.

“Sometime, but only for a brief moment.”

“It might be sign that your memory is returning. Make sure you inform the nurse or myself if the pain is unbearable.”

“Thank you.”

Let see—” After he was finished with the checkup, he began writing in his clipboard. “Your condition seems fine,” he said happily, “you can get discharge in three days.”

“Thank you,” Moonbyul replied nonchalantly.

“You don’t sound enthusiastic. Want to stay longer?”

“No, I—I—” She wasn’t sure what she wanted to say.

“I was joking. Well, have a good evening.”

“Thank you. You have a good evening as well.”

The doctor left Moonbyul to get some rest. She stared at the darken sky and wondered if she used to watch the starry night. Was there someone who shared such a beautiful sight with me? It took her a while to fall asleep but no other dream haunted her that night.

The doctor proceeded to Solar’s room. Whee-In and Hwasa was by her side, keeping her company. He knocked and they happily welcomed him in.

“Are you feeling any better?” He spoke sternly as he glared at the IV’s bag. “Not pulling out your needle while I was away I hope,” he continued in a joking manner.

“I feel better, thank you,” Solar replied with a smile, “and no, I didn't do it again.”

Good. Good.” He nodded in approval. “You do look better, not as exhausted. Your spirit seems to have improve as well. Good. Good." He was pleased with her progress.

“When can I be discharge?” Solar questioned curiously.

“You can leave tomorrow, if you get enough rest tonight that is.”

“Thank you,” Whee-In and Hwasa said with a smile.

“Don't mention it. Well then goodnight to you all,” with that he left to continue on his round.

“You two should head home. It’s dark out," Solar urged.

“But we want to stay with you unnie~” Whee-In pleaded pulling on Solar’s sleeve.

“Now, now. Be good. I’ll be fine.” Solar assured her with a smile.

“Okay,” Whee-In pouted.

“Byul-Yi Unnie better not pick on you again, or I'll—” Hwasa grunted.

“Hye-Jin ah,” Solar gave her a stern look.

“I know, I know,” Hwasa sighed. “I know now she doesn’t remember anything, but still,” she grumbled, “she shouldn’t treat you like that. It’s not right."

“You shouldn’t have been hasty and attacked her either,” Solar scolded.

“I did it for you,” Hwasa protested, “beside it’s Whee-In’s fault for not holding me back,” she said mischievously.

Whee-In was shock by Hwasa’s statement. Solar and Hwasa laughed at her clueless expression. She sighed and laughed along, realizing she got played.

“It’s good you’re smiling again Unnie,” Whee-In stated sweetly and Hwasa nodded cheerily.

“I’m determine to get her back, so I won’t give up,” Solar proclaimed. “If she can’t remember me, then I’ll get her to fall for me again. I’ll stay strong and happy. I will achieve my goal!”

Whee-In and Hwasa looked at each other and shrugged happily. “We’ll support you Unnie!”

They realized they spoke too loudly and laughed. Hwasa and Whee-In had no choice but to leave since Solar was shooing them away. Solar looked outside and the moon was shining brightly. She stared at the starry night and smiled. Are you also looking up at the sky? This sight would be so much more mesmerizing if you were by my side. She enjoyed the night for a while before she went to bed. That night she slept soundly, with a smile on her face.