Chapter 2

YOU ARE MY HEART: Edited Ver.

The hospital was filled with patients even though it was early in the day. They rushed Moonbyul into a makeshift room that had curtains as its wall. Solar wasn't allowed to enter and was forced to wait outside. She felt her tears streaming down her face. She looked at her trembling hands which was covered in Moonbyul’s blood. Her dress now has a crimson splatter splashed across its front. She lost all her strength and collapsed to the ground.

She stared at her blood covered hands and clenched it against her chest; the pain slowly pierced her heart once more. As though someone was continuously stabbing her, the pain was unbearable. Just then a pair of hands raised her up to her feet, she looked to her left and then her right. They belonged to her friends, Hwasa and Whee-In. They helped her to a nearby chair. In her panic she’d forgotten that she’d called them.

"Unnie, how is Byul-Yi unnie?"

Hwasa questioned Solar while Whee-In tried to wipe the tears from Solar's face. They were crying along with Solar. Solar couldn't find her voice to answer, all she could do was shook her head in disbelieved.

"It'll be alright, unnie. Nothing will happen to Byul-Yi unnie." Whee-in tried to comfort Solar, her voice shook a little while she spoke.

Hwasa and Whee-In tried to perk themselves up so they could be the support for Solar and Moonbuyl. They wiped away their tears and held Solar tightly in their arms, hoping it would comfort her, even if it was just a little. Solar felt as if everything around her had faded away. All she could see was the room where Moonbyul was being kept. She could pay attention to nothing else.

A few moments later, an older doctor and a nurse came running down the hall and rushed into Moonbyul's room. For the brief second that the curtain slid open, Solar got up to her feet and stared at Moonbyul. Her heart dropped at the sight. Moonbyul was still laying there motionless. Her eyes was closed and her blood was seeping through the cloth the nurse had pressed against her head. Solar wanted to rushed in and be by Moonbyul’s side, but she wasn't permitted to.

"How's the patient?" The older doctor questioned.

"S-she lost a lot of blood." A younger doctor answered stumbling over his words, "H-her con-di-dition is—is—"

"What's her condition?" The older doctor demanded with a stern look on his face.

"It's—I—"

"Her condition is not stable," the nurse answered after taking a glance at the monitor.

"You! Get out!" the older doctor ordered and the younger doctor left. Then he turned his head to the nurse and spoke, "we need to take her to the ER. Prepare some blood bags."

The nurse nodded as they began their preparation to transfer Moonbyul into the emergency room. When the young doctor went out of the room, Solar, Whee-In, and Hwasa quickly came up to him and questioned.

"How is she doctor?" Solar voice was shaking. Hwasa and Whee-In stared at him anxiously waiting for an answer.

"It's—It's—I—"

"Yes? How is she!?" Hwasa questioned in a commanding tone.

"I—I—" the young doctor continued stumbling on his words as he noticed Hwasa and Whee-In impatient expression.

At that moment the curtain slid open once more, but this time the older doctor and nurse took Moonbyul with them. Solar pushed the young doctor aside and gave chase. Whee-In and Hwasa followed closely behind her. Solar looked as though she was going to attacked the older doctor and the nurse. However, she was only following them as she checked on Moonbyul's condition.

"Are you a family member of the patient?" the doctor asked and Solar nodded profusely. "She lost a lot of blood. We need to operate on her right away. We'll do everything we can."

When they reach the emergency room, the nurse took Moonbyul inside while the doctor stopped Solar, Whee-In, and Hwasa.

"You can't come in. Please wait out here." Then the doctor turned around and entered the room himself.

Solar felt helpless once again as Moonbyul disappeared from her view and into the ER. Hwasa and Whee-In stayed by Solar's side, comforting her as they waited for the hours to pass. It was a long wait in silence, especially for Solar, it felt like an eternity. It was about four hours before the ER light turned off. They stood up and waited in anticipation as the doctor came out.

"H-how is she doctor?" Solar asked him hesitantly.

"The operation was a success," he assured her. "Her life is in no danger."

Solar let out a sigh of relief at his words.

"Will she wake up soon?" Whee-In questioned.

"I don’t know at this time."

"What do you mean?" Solar demanded.

"Patient with head injuries can wake within a day, a month, or longer. It varies from patient to patient. I cannot give you a definite answer because I don’t know myself."

Solar was shocked by the news.

"There's something else you should know," the doctor continued. Solar stared at him, eyes wide opened. "There's a possibility the patient will lose her memory. Whether it's temporary or permanent, selective or all, we can’t determine until she wakes up."

"What do you—!?" Hwasa raised her voice and Whee-In stopped her, pressing her hand against Hwasa's lips.

"Thank you doctor," Whee-In spoke, her hand was still covering Hwasa's mouth. Hwasa tried to peel it off but it was all for naught.

Once Whee-In let Hwasa go she almost screamed again, but she didn't when she saw Whee-In's expression. Whee-In nudged her to stay calm as if hinting at her to consider Solar's feeling. Two nurses and another doctor came out from the ER taking Moonbyul along with them. Solar, Hwasa, and Whee-In followed them as they brought Moonbuyl to room 333. The nurses and doctor left after they had finished setting up the equipment and transferred Moonbyul onto the bed. Solar was still trembling as she moved closer to Moonbyul, her eyes were tearing up again. She reached out her hands and wanted to caress Moonbyul's face but suddenly stopped midway.

"Look at my hands," she said to Moonbyul trying to sound cheery, "they’re dirty. I shouldn't make you dirty. I'll go wash them right away!"

She darted off into the bathroom a couple of paces away. She washed her hands and face with soap. She tried to get the blood off of her clothes; she scrubbed and scrubbed but it wouldn't come off. She was angry with herself. Why am I so useless!? I can't even get this stain off my dress! Whee-In and Hwasa looked at each other and then back at Solar, a pained expression shown on their faces. They wanted to help Solar but knew it'd only make her feel worse, so they refrained themselves. Solar fixed her hair and went back to Moonbyul’s side. She sat down on the chair next to the bed and held Moonbyul's hand as she began a one-sided conversation.

"I’m sorry," she began. "I couldn't get the stain off. I'm a mess, am I not?" She said in an apologetic tone. "I know you like neat girls. I'll try to clean it better. I promise, so don't be angry, okay?" She placed Moonbyul's hand on her face.

"Unnie—" Hwasa came over and placed her hand on Solar’s shoulder, "we’ll go and pack some clothes for you guys. We'll also get you some food, is there anything you want?"

Solar shook her head.

"We'll be back soon okay?" Hwasa and Whee-In gave Solar a hug and left.

As they were leaving the hospital, Hwasa brought up a question that made Whee-In very unhappy.

"Life is really unpredictable, isn't it?" Hwasa sighed. "We just saw Byul-Yi unnie this morning laughing and teasing Yong-Sun unnie, but now—" she stopped herself, "if something like that were to happen to me, what would you do?"

Whee-In suddenly stopped and angrily looked at Hwasa. Instead of responding to Hwasa questioned, she let go of her hand and stomped off. Hwasa ran after her, linked their arms together and placed her head on Whee-In's shoulder.

"Don't joke about something like that!" Whee-In exclaimed sternly.

"I know. I know. I was wrong. Forgive me?" Hwasa asked cutely.

Whee-In smiled and caressed Hwasa's hair as a gesture of her forgiveness as they headed toward their car.