Chapter 7

YOU ARE MY HEART: Edited Ver.

So while I was editing this chapter, I kind of wrote some part in rhymes and then I wrote a poem because of it >.> Enjoy everyone :)

If you read it and it rhymes,

it happens from time to time.

When my poet side is released,

it runs rampant like a beast.

I’m unable to stop the flow,

since my brain commands it so.

I’m sorry if this is weird,

but it takes time to disappear.

Thank you for your time,

I’ll leave before it becomes a crime.


Hey, wake up.” The sweet voice called out to Solar and shook her gently. “Wake up, sleepy head.”

Solar opened her eyes. As the blurriness cleared, she noticed the person in front of her and it filled her heart with joy.

Moonbyul was squatting down beside Solar. Her head was resting on her hand. She greeted Solar with a smile, which Solar hadn’t seen in a while.

“Sleepy head,” Moonbyul said repeatedly as she poke Solar’s cheek.

Solar smiled happily before intertwining their hands. She placed them against her cheek and felt Moonbyul’s warmth, although it was bleak. She smiled sadly as tears overtook her eyes. She couldn’t stop herself from crying, no matter how hard she’d tried. It was supposed to be a happy occasion, yet her sadness had became part of the equation. Moonbyul felt the tears running down her hand. Her smile vanished as if on command.

“What’s wrong?” She questioned concernedly as she caressed Solar’s face. “Did I hurt you?”

Solar sat up and shook her head. “I’m just really happy,” she said instead.

Solar lifted her hands to wipe away her tears. Moonbyul took them and gave her a kiss to dissuade her fear. She held Solar’s face in her hands, her thumbs wiping away Solar’s tears. Solar felt Moonbyul’s warmth lifting up her spirit and smiled with cheer.

She jumped on Moonbyul and hugged her tightly. Moonbyul was taken by surprise and fell to the floor with Solar on top of her. Solar rubbed her face against Moonbyul’s chest. She sniffled as tears continued to fall.

“What’s wrong?” Moonbyul hugged her and questioned softly.

“I had a bad dream,” Solar answered sullenly.

About what?” Moonbyul raised her brow as she ran her fingers through Solar’s hair.

“You got injured,” Solar said while playing with Moonbyul’s collar bone. “When you woke up, you didn’t—” she hesitated.

“I didn’t what?”

“You didn’t remember who I was,” Solar said sadly. “I tried to tell you. I pleaded. But no matter what, you wouldn’t believe me.” Solar sighed before she continued. “You pushed me away. I was scared and alone. I didn’t know what to do.” She gently slapped Moonbyul’s chest. “Don’t ever do that to me!” She said, furrowing her brow.

Ow~” she said playfully, looking up at Solar. “But I didn’t do anything.”

“You did!” Solar protested. “You made me cry in my dream.”

Moonbyul pulled Solar down and hugged her. “What if it came true?” she said jokingly.

Solar lifted her head and slapped Moonbyul twice on her shoulder, a lot harder this time. She was about to do it again when Moonbyul grabbed her hand and kissed it.

I was kidding. I was kidding.” Moonbyul said cheerily. “Don’t be angry. I don’t want you to hurt your hand.” She kissed it again. “I’ll be sad if it did,” she said sweetly before kissing Solar’s lips.

“Don’t joke about it.” Solar pouted.

“I was wrong. I’m sorry.” She gently pinched Solar’s cheeks. “Forgive me?” she whispered into Solar’s ear.

Solar blushed and nodded. “I forgive you,” she said shyly.

“You shouldn’t fall asleep on the table like that, you might catch a cold.” Moonbyul scolded. “It’s winter after all.”

“Okay~” Solar said cheerily.

Also, you watch and read too much tragic romance stuff. That’s why you have weird dreams.”

“Mhm~” Solar nodded continuously as she grinned.

“Are you even listening?”

Solar playfully shook her head.

“Why you little—”

Moonbyul crossed her legs over Solar to keep her still before tickling her. Solar tried to wiggle her way out while trying to block Moonbyul’s attack. They laughed loudly as they rolled around on the floor. It took a while before they calmed down.

“Check my pocket.” Moonbyul smiled.

“What is it?” Solar raised her brow.

“Just check it,” she urged.

Solar slid her hand into Moonbyul’s pocket and pulled out a wooden pendant. Aw it’s really cute, she thought. But I can’t tell her that, at least not yet. She rubbed her chin and squinted her eyes, pretending to examine it carefully while hiding her mischievous smile.

What do you think?” Moonbyul questioned eagerly.

“What’s this ugly thing?” she said jokingly.

U-ugly?” She looked at Solar in shock for a few moments, before regaining her composure. “It’s not that bad, is it?” She laughed nervously.

Solar noticed Moonbyul blushing, but pretended to be none the wiser. She held back her laughter, although she was at her limit, as she continued her pendant examination act.

“Is it that bad?” Moonbyul asked sullenly.

It is.” Solar nodded and sighed, pretending to be disappointed. She knew Moonbyul was the one who had carved it and was really happy.

Fine.” She pouted. “Give it back.”

Moonbyul reached for the pendant but Solar hid it behind her.

“I didn’t say I don’t want it,” Solar exclaimed sweetly.

“But I don’t want it to be ugly!” she protested, trying to grab the pendant from Solar.

“Well, it’s mine now. You can’t take it back.”

“Fine.”

“Put it on for me.” As she was handing over the pendant, she stopped and warned. “You can’t take it back!”

I know. I know.” Moonbyul pouted.

She gave Moonbyul the pendant and proceeded to fix her hair so it wouldn’t get in the way. When Moonbyul received the pendant, she had other ideas. Instead of putting it on for Solar, she used the opportunity to tug it away.

Solar waited for a few moments before turning to face Moonbyul, who was glancing up at the ceiling and tapping her foot. Solar furrowed her brow and playfully hit Moonbyul as she questioned the whereabouts of the pendant. Moonbyul shrugged, pretending as if she didn’t know what Solar was talking about. Solar pouted and frown, pestering Moonbyul until she agreed to the request.

Moonbyul couldn’t refuse. She knew it was impossible to win, facing such an adversary. She could only sighed and accepted her fate, although she was happy to do so. She hugged Solar tightly as Solar fell asleep on her chest.

Solar felt safe and warm in Moonbyul’s embrace. A happiness she thought had disappeared was now filling her heart again. She couldn’t stop smiling. It was sweeter than candy and she enjoyed every moment of it. She closed her eyes and as her consciousness fade, tears streamed from her face.

When she woke from her slumber, she glanced to her side and sighed sullenly. She placed her hand on the empty space of the bed and gripped the sheet. How great would it be if you were here? She closed her eyes and tried to ease the pain in her heart, it was all for naught. At least, it was a happy dream. She smiled wryly as she wiped the tears from her face. Will you ever smile at me like that again? The thought only hurt her deeper.

She lay on the bed for a little while before sitting up to scan her surroundings. Where am I? She examined the room carefully. It looked like one of the hospital room. Why am I here? She felt weak. Even here, I’m alone. She held her chest and sighed.

Solar touched the pendant hanging around her neck and smiled sadly. Moonbyul had carved it for her long ago. It depicted the sun and moon dancing together, an eternal dance for each other. She turned it around and read the inscription.

“Moon <3 Sunrise Forever,” she mumbled as her voice shook.

Her tears dripped onto the pendant. She gripped it tightly in her hand and held it against her chest. Byul Ah. It wasn’t long before a loud bang caught her attention. What was that? She placed the pendant back in her shirt and wiped her tears. It almost sounded like gunshot. It can’t be, can it? She carefully removed the needle from her arm and peered out of her room.

The hospital was normal, she walked into the hallway and glanced around but nothing seemed out of place. What was that noise then? As she was about to return to her room, she heard screaming and immediately recognized the voice. Isn’t that Hwasa’s voice? What’s going on? She looked down the hall and saw that Moonbyul’s door was slightly opened. Is Hwasa in Moonbyul’s room? What’s she doing in there? She went to inspect the commotion.

There were some patients gathering outside, pretending they weren’t interested even though they were trying to take a peek. They were whispering to each other as if they were taking notes for their next tabloid article. Solar looked through the glass window on the door. She could tell that Moonbyul was angry. She was holding her stomach and gritting her teeth. What happened? Solar saw Hwasa and Whee-In nearby. Hwasa was trying to kick in Moonbyul’s direction, her leg almost connected a few times. Whee-In was holding her back from behind. What are they doing? Solar furrowed her brow.

She pushed the door open and stepped inside. The door creek noisily, which caught Moonbyul’s, Hwasa’s, and Whee-In’s attention. They stopped what they were doing and turned toward her. Whee-In let go of Hwasa and Moonbyul looked even more irritated.

“Unnie!” Hwasa ran up to her. “What are you doing out of bed? You should be resting.”

Solar glanced at Moonbyul, who angrily looked away. She sighed before turning her attention over to Hwasa and Whee-In. “What are you two doing?” she questioned sternly.

“We wanted Byul-Yi unnie to apologize for what she did to you,” Hwasa answered sullenly as she looked at the ground.

Solar smiled and petted Hwasa before heading toward Moonbyul. She reached out her hand and asked worriedly, “Are you okay?”

Moonbyul grabbed Solar’s wrist before Solar could touch her and spoke harshly. “No thanks to you and your friends.”

She forcefully threw Solar’s arm aside and walked toward the window, putting distance between them. Why do I feel so angry? She tugged her hands in her pocket and furrowed her brow, sighing in frustration. Am I angry at them? She felt confuse at her own feelings. Why do I feel like this whenever I see her?

Hwasa wanted to attack Moonbyul again, but Whee-In grabbed her arm and stopped her. Hwasa turned and looked at Whee-In, who shook her head in disapproval.

“What do you mean?” Hwasa exclaimed loudly.

Solar gave her a stern look, which forced her to abandoned the idea. She looked at Moonbyul and mumbled, cursing silently under her breath. Whee-In nudged Hwasa, urging her to stop but Hwasa ignored it.

Solar came closer to Moonbyul and sighed sadly. “Why won’t you believe me?”

“Why should I?” Moonbyul answered coldly.

If I can prove it to you. Will you believe me?” she questioned but Moonbyul didn’t reply. She nodded and spoke irritably. “Fine. I’ll show you. I was here for a month. My things are everywhere. I’ll show them to you!” she exclaimed.

Whee-In and Hwasa looked at each other in confusion. They couldn't understand the dialogues between Solar and Moonbyul. They thought this might be a new form of lover’s quarrel and shrugged in unison.

Solar went over to the closet to grab her clothes. She wanted to use them as proof, but there were none to be found. It can’t be. Did I overlook it? She carefully examined each items and dug through each drawers, but her clothes seemed to have vanished. Where are they? Where are my clothes? She was baffled. Wait, what about my mint chocolate? She frantically searched for it. Where is it? Where is it? The 241st box of mint chocolate with Moonbyul personal message inscribed inside was nowhere to be found. Solar shook her head in disbelief. This can’t be. She gripped onto her shirt and closed her eyes, trying to stop herself from breaking down.

Are you done?” Moonbyul sighed angrily, still facing away from Solar.

Moonbyul words fuel Hwasa’s anger. How could she be so heartless to Solar unnie!? She clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. She wanted to have another go at Moonbyul, but with Solar around she had to swallow her anger. She sighed in frustration, and took a few deep breaths to dampen her fury.

I must have brought it home,” Solar mumbled, trying to comfort herself.

She searched the floor for the bag of clothes she’d brought in earlier, but it had also disappeared. She was dumbfounded. Where are my things? Why can’t I find them?

“Did you see that bag of clothes I brought with me?She looked anxiously at Whee-In and Hwasa, hoping they could shed some light on the matter.

“It was here the first time we came in. I haven’t seen it since," Hwasa replied.

Whee-In shook her head. “Me neither.”

“Did you see it Byul-Kong?” Solar turned to Moonbyul but got no replied. She sighed and said, “Byul-Yi ssi?”

It was the first time Solar had to refer to Moonbyul in such a formal manner. She felt as though they were stranger and she hated the feeling.

“I don't know,” Moonbyul said indifferently.

Solar pondered for a moment and realized there was one more place she hadn’t searched. She went into the restroom to look for her essentials, but they had also vanished. Her towels, her shampoo, her brush, her toothbrush, her toothpaste, everything was gone. She couldn’t believe it, everything she’d left in Moonbyul’s room had disappeared. What should I do? It was hard for her to breathe.

She gripped the sink to calm herself. She looked into the mirror only to see an exhausted reflection staring back at her. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Something is not right. A new resolve ignited within her. My things can’t simply vanish into thin air. Someone must have taken them. But who? She ponder for a moment. It doesn’t matter. I’ll just get Moonbyul to remember me again. She straighten her clothes and exited the bathroom.

“I’ll make you remember,” she declared. “I’ll go to the end of the earth, if that’s what it takes. I will bring your heart back home.”

Moonbyul sighed without uttering a word.

“Will you stop being angry if I leave?” Solar bit her lips as she uttered the words which defied her feelings.

Moonbyul still didn’t respond. Solar sighed and motioned Whee-In and Hwasa to leave. Hwasa hesitated but Whee-In pulled her away. As Solar opened the door, she stop for a moment. She turned toward Moonbyul and smiled.

“Know this,” she declared in a challenging tone. “I won’t let go of you.”

With that declaration Moonbyul finally turned around and face Solar. Their eyes met in a battling gaze for the first time.