Chapter 14

YOU ARE MY HEART: Edited Ver.

When Moonbyul woke up the next morning, there was still a smile on her face. She turned her head to find an empty bed greeting her. She sat up quickly and glanced around. The sight of the barren room brought her loneliness. I guess she left already. She sighed sullenly before proceeding to wash up. While she was taking off her white shirt, she noticed a red lipstick marking on its collar.

How did that? She leaned closer to the mirror, making sure it wasn’t her imagination. After staring at it for a while, speechless at her discovery, a slight reddish blushed was apparent on her face. That mischievous girl, she shook her head and sighed. As she was showering, the events from the previous night flashed through her mind. She gently bit her bottom lip and rubbed it, smiling as she reminisced.

Her lips were soft, the thought overflowed her heart with happiness. She leaned her head against the shower wall and rubbed her cheek, when we kissed it felt so familiar—as if we’ve done it before. She couldn’t quite grasped the reason why. Have I been daydreaming about it? Have I always wanted to kiss her? She combed her hair back with her hand and let out a long sullen sigh; the cold water splashing against her back couldn’t cool the burning question within her heart. This is ridiculous. I need to stop thinking about it. She tapped her cheeks and perked up, pushing back all of the negative thoughts before they could surface.

Once she was dressed, her belly announced the next item on her list. I wonder what I should eat, she tapped her chin and pondered while heading towards the kitchen. Is there even anything I can use? It didn’t take long before something caught her attention. That smells good. Where is it coming from? She sniffed the air for a moment before noticing a plate on the table, a food tent was protecting it. The slight steam rising from the dish indicated that the food was freshly prepared not long ago. Did she make this for me? She rubbed the back of her neck and smiled shyly. What’s this? She picked up a small folded note sitting beside the meal.

[Byul-Kong ah, did you sleep well? Does anywhere ache? You were sleeping so soundly I didn’t want to wake you. I made breakfast. Make sure you eat it even if it tastes bad! >:P I’ll be mad if you don’t! I smell horrible. I needed to go home and wash up. I’ll see you later. XOXO – love from your Yong-Kong]

Moonbyul couldn’t help giggling as she read the note. She placed it gently back on the table and took her seat. She slowly devoured her food, enjoying every bite and the sweetness that followed. It’s not bad. Should I tell her later? Just like the omelet on her plate, she couldn’t stop smiling nor could she stopped Solar from occupying her mind. She ignored the blatant burnt and saltiness of the omelet, eating it as if it was the best thing on earth.

At one point during her morning, while she was taking care of the dishes, she began humming a song that had been repeatedly playing in her head. Where do I know this tune from? Was it on the radio? She pondered for a while but the answer still eluded her. It doesn’t matter, she shrugged. She glanced down at the note Solar had left behind, what should I do with it? I don’t want to throw it away. She turned to her left and saw the fridge. If I pin it there, she’ll definitely laugh when she sees it. After thinking about it for a while, another idea came to mind, what if I put it in a book? Nah, I might forget about it. Wait, I know. She quickly took off her latex gloves and decided to go into the bedroom with the note in hand.

After taking only a few steps, her doorbell rang. This girl—did she forgets something? She snickered and shook her head. She placed the note on the table before opening the door. Once she saw who was standing on the other side, however, the joyful grin on her face faded into a forceful smile.

“What’s wrong?” Park Young-Sun raised an eyebrow. “Are you not happy to see me?”

Why is she here? Moonbyul chuckled nervously before answering, “It’s nothing.” She sighed softly. “I just thought you were someone else,” she mumbled.

“What?” She titled her head.

She shook her head and smiled wryly. “Nothing.”

“Are you going to invite me in?”

“Yeah—yeah, come in.” She held the door for Park Young-Sun. “Can I get you something to drink? Water? Anything?”

“That’s alright. I don’t need anything.”

“You sure?”

“Mhm,” she nodded.

“So, what brings you here? Did something happen?”

“No,” she shook her head and darted her eyes around the room. “I just wanted to see you. See how you’re doing,” she responded shyly. “Can I only see you if something happens?”

Moonbyul rubbed her head. “I didn’t mean that. It’s good that you’re okay.” Moonbyul bit her lip and pondered for a moment before she questioned, “How did you know where I live?” She raised an eyebrow and observed Park Young-Sun’s expression.

Ah, that,” she mumbled and glanced around, looking rather restless when she gave her answer. “A friend of mine saw you entering this building last night.” She sighed and looked up sadly at Moonbyul. “I really miss you.” She wrinkled the edge of her shirt between her fingers. “I wanted to see you. I hope I’m not being a bother. The nice lady downstairs told me where your apartment was. I’m really sorry,she spoke softly, hanging her head low.

“I see—” Moonbyul scratched the back of her ear and sighed, dropping any further questions on the matter.

“Will you show me around?” she asked cheerily, breaking the silence. “Or are we going to continue standing here?”

Oh, yeah,” she answered unenthusiastically, “I’ll show you around.”

Moonbyul introduced the living room, the kitchen, and the dinning room, which all shared the same space. It was modestly decorated and she had yet to find time to add any personal touches. When she was done, she took a quick glance at the bedroom door, which was closed, I don’t really want to show it to her. It’s a bit personal. She looked over in Park Young-Sun’s direction, who was now sitting at the kitchen table, and sighed with relief, I guess I won’t have to.

I’ll get you some water,” she said, feeling a bit happier.

Park Young-Sun picked up Solar’s note and waved it in the air. “What’s this?” she questioned while Moonbyul was pouring the water.

It’s nothing!” She quickly snatched it away.

“Is it important?” she spoke, sounding startled.

“No, it’s nothing—” She bit her lip. “Just something I doodled while I was eating.”

I see,” she grumbled before forcing a smile. “Can I see it?”

“It’s bad,” she answered quickly. “I don’t want anyone to see it.” She didn’t know why she had to lie. It didn’t matter to her at that moment, all she knew was that her instinct told her not to reveal anything.

It’s fine.” She smiled and shrugged. “You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

Thanks—” Moonbyul rubbed the back of her neck and sighed, feeling guilty.

“Why the long face?” she teased. “It’s fine, really.” She gave a big grin.

Sorry,” she said sullenly, “here’s your water.”

She handed the cup to Park Young-Sun, who received it with both hands. The awkward silence had descended upon them. It was bad enough that the kitchen faucet could be heard dripping onto the empty sink below. What should I do? She glanced in the direction of the bedroom. I guess I can show it to her.

“I—”

“The bedroom is a bit messy. I’ll clean it real quick.”

“It’s fine—”

She took off before Park Young-Sun could finish. The thought of entertaining Park Young-Sun was the least of her concern nor was tidying her room. Her top priority was putting Solar’s note in a safe place, everything else was on the back burner. Now, where is that silver box? I know I’ve seen it somewhere. She searched around her room with only that one goal in mind, spending about half an hour before she found it. There it is! She smiled, crawling under her bed to grab it. The grin on her face was even wider while she was dusting the box with her sleeve. Once she thought it was clean enough, she placed the note inside.

The moment Moonbyul closed the bedroom door behind her, Park Young-Sun’s face became dark and twisted. She gritted her teeth, furrowed her brow, bit her nails, and tapped her foot, looking rather tensed. How could she lie to me!? HOW COULD SHE LIE TO ME!!? She got up and wandered in circle around the table. That note was clearly written by that despicable girl! She ground her teeth and pulled her hair. She lied to me. ME OF ALL PEOPLE! ME!!!

It didn’t took long before Park Young-Sun noticed Moonbyul’s phone was in the living room, sitting on the coffee table. She stared at the bedroom’s door, making sure Moonbyul wouldn’t catch her in the act as she inched towards the phone. It doesn’t have a password! She was overjoyed at her discovery. The call log was filled with only one number and Park Young-Sun recognized it well. They were together last night. She gripped the phone harder as she looked through the photos with a murderous glare.

The first set of pictures were of Moonbyul carrying Solar on her back, some of them were too blurry to see as if the photographer had dropped the camera. In the other photos, Moonbyul could be seen looking grumpy but there was a noticeable grinned at the corner of her lips. Solar was cheerily posing for them. The last photo was taken this morning, in it Solar was kissing Moonbyul’s cheek while she was asleep.

As Park Young-Sun scrolled through them, the desired to throw the phone out the window or against the wall grew within her. She restrained herself, knowing it wouldn’t have benefited her and opted for a calmer solution after taking a few deep breaths.

You want to feel like you’re in heaven, then let’s make that dream comes true. She sent Solar a message, pretending to be Moonbyul. The corner of her lips twitched as she tried to grin. After it was successful sent, she erased it; wiping her fingerprints off of the phone before placing it back on the table. She glanced around and found one of Moonbyul’s cap sitting above the shoes shelf by the door. She took it without hesitation and left, failing to give a proper goodbye.

When Moonbyul came out from her bedroom, a sense of relief filled her heart. Is it weird that I feel this way? She smiled at the sight of the empty house. Is there something missing? She glanced around but couldn’t pin point what was wrong. I guess it’s nothing. She shrugged and proceeded to lock the door. She the television and got comfy on the sofa. In the midst of watching a comedy, her phone buzzed and interrupted her. Who is it? She grabbed her phone to check, sighing when she saw the sender ID. I seriously need to change her ID.

Master: Give me a preview?

Moonbyul looked at the text in confusion and pondered for a moment before she replied.

Byul-Kong<3Yong-Kong: What do you mean?

When Moonbyul noticed her own ID, she had to do a double take to make sure she wasn’t imagining it. What kind of name did she put in here!?

Master: Aw~ don’t be like that

Master: Tell me. Pretty please????

Byul-Kong<3Yong-Kong: I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Master: Don’t be shy~

Byul-Kong<3Yong-Kong: I’m not.

Byul-Kong<3Yong-Kong: Look, if this is another one of your weird game. You need to stop.

Byul-Kong<3Yong-Kong: You’re behavior is abnormal.

It took only a few moments after she had sent the text for her phone to ring. The caller was none other than the person she was texting. She let out a long sigh before picking up.

“Hello?”

“What do you mean abnormal behavior!?” Hwasa screamed, demanding an answer.

Moonbyul could recognize that it wasn’t Solar’s voice. She checked the caller ID and number once more. It is her number. “Who’s this?” she questioned calmly.

“You said you had something to tell Solar Unnie! You called her out to meet you!” she continued raising her voice. “Now, you claim that she’s behaving weirdly!?” She paused for a moment. “Well, I mean she is, but that’s not the point!”

Wait! Wait!” she interrupted, “I asked her to meet up with me?” she was confused by the situation.

“Yes, you did!” Hwasa was finally calming down.

“What are you talking about? When did I asked her out?” she questioned sternly.

“Like half an hour ago.”

“But I haven’t talked to her since last night.”

“What do you mean?” Hwasa was irritated. “If you didn’t then who did?”

If it came from my phone then it must have been her. She was the only one who was here. She bit her lip and sighed in frustration. “Where is she?”

“She left already.”

“Where did she go?”

“If you’re worried, you should’ve—”

Tell me where she went!” She raised her voice, cutting Hwasa off.

“Building A133.”

“That’s just down the street! I’ll go right away! Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to her!”

Moonbyul hung up without waiting for a response. She grabbed her jacket and rushed out the door. “Building A133. Building A133.” She mumbled as she ran with all her might. Nothing can happen to you. The thought of Solar occupied her mind; her happy face; her sweet smile; her gentle voice; finding Solar was Moonbyul top priority. You must be safe. You have to be!

A crowd of gawkers had already gathered in front of the building before Moonbyul’s arrival. They were whispering to each other and pointing towards the roof as if the situation was entertaining enough for them to stay and watch. When she glanced towards what had caught their attentions, fear overtook her. No! Solar! She shoved them aside and ran to the roof.

Solar was dangling from the side of the building, holding on to dear life. A water hose was the only thing stopping her from hitting the ground below. “AH!” she cried, her hands slowly loosing their gripped.

DON’T LET GO!” Moonbyul screamed, grabbing the hose to pull Solar up.

Byul-Yiiiii,she cried louder, tears wetting her face.

DO YOU HEAR ME!? DON’T YOU DARE LET GO!!!”

Solar nodded and held on tighter. As Moonbyul was helping Solar, the vague memories of her past flashed through her mind. Not now! She shook her head to get rid of dizziness that was trying to overtake her. I won’t let anything stop me from saving her!

I don’t know how much longer I can hold on. Solar’s strength was fading quicker. She looked up at Moonbyul, who hands were red and scratched up. Byul is trying her best for me. I can’t give up! She found a renewed strength in Moonbyul’s determination.

GIVE ME YOUR HAND!” she screamed.

The moment Solar was within reached, she grabbed Solar’s wrist and pulled her to safety. She hugged Solar tightly, who returned her embrace. They fell to the ground, Moonbyul breathing heavily and tearing up. Solar bawling like a baby on her chest.

Why is it that when I see you, something is going wrong?” Moonbyul questioned sternly, wiping her tears and regaining her composure.

W-what do you mean?” She sniffled and lightly slapped Moonbyul’s chest. “It’s your fault! You told me to come here. I was so scared. I thought I would never see you again!”

I didn’t call you out here,” she furrowed her brow and spoke sternly.

Solar wiped her tears and met Moonbyul’s gaze, making sure Moonbyul wasn’t trying to tell an ill-timed joke. Moonbyul’s expression told Solar all she needed to know. She’s not joking. She sniffled before she continued, “but the message came from your phone.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes! It’s from the phone I gave you.” She nodded confidently. “And beside, no one else would have that ID on my phone,” she said shyly.

Then it was really her! Moonbyul furrowed her brow. Why did she asks Solar to come here?

“What’s wrong?” Solar questioned concernedly. “Are you hurt?” She tried to check Moonbyul’s body but Moonbyul held her in place.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry.” She smiled. “You? Does it hurt anywhere?”

Solar shook her head. “I’m okay.”

How did you end up on the side of the building?”

“It’s not like I wanted to end up there!” she protested, pouting as she spoke. “I saw your cap hanging over there,” she motioned with her head. “I just wanted to get it back for you.”

“My cap?”

Yes,” she nodded. “You have a lot, but I can still tell that it was yours.

Did you fell trying to get it?”

“I think so—”

What were you thinking?” Moonbyul flicked Solar’s forehead. “Why would you risk your life for that!?”

I didn’t mean to!” She buried her face into Moonbyul’s chest to avoid anymore forehead attacks. “Besides—” she stopped and pondered.

“What?” Moonbyul raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong?”

She hesitated but decided to tell Moonbyul what was on her mind. “I think someone pushed me.”

“Someone pushed you!?” she said angrily, looking into Solar’s eyes.

I-I don’t know. Everything just happened so fast.” She tried her best to recall that moment. “I remembered being really scared. I thought I was a goner for sure, but then you showed up,” she said happily as she caressed Moonbyul’s face, feeling the warmth of Moonbyul’s embrace. “I’m just happy that I can see you again.” She laid her head down on Moonbyul’s chest.

“You’re safe now. I won’t let anything happen to you,” Moonbyul said sweetly as she petted Solar’s head. She glanced down at Solar with a worried look before staring up at the sky, feeling an anger burning inside of her heart. Did Park Young-Sun pushed Solar? I won’t forgive her if she did!

I know.” She smiled happily. I know you’ll always protect me.”

I’ll always stay by your side. Kim Yong-Sun, I think I have feelings for you,” she said softly as she kissed the top of Solar’s head.

Upon hearing Moonbyul’s declaration, Solar’s eyes widen. It made her speechless. She was overwhelmed with joy, shocked to the point of disbelieve. She lifted her head and met Moonbyul’s gaze. Did—did she just say what I think? Did I hear that correctly? Her emotions were bursting at the seams. Am I—am I dreaming? She slapped herself, making sure this wasn’t just some fantasy she had concocted. Ow, that hurt. This is real! She smiled happily and rubbed her cheek.

Moonbyul raised an eyebrow and looked at Solar weirdly. “Why did you hit yourself?”

“Just making sure I’m not dreaming,” she giggled.

“What?”

“I don’t think I heard you clearly. What did you just say?” Solar spoke, almost in a teasing manner.

Moonbyul shook her head. “You’re impossible, you know that?”

Tell me again!” she pleaded cutely, gazing into Moonbyul’s eyes. “What did you say?”

Moonbyul let out a soft sigh, a smile was apparent on the corner of her lips. She cleared and spoke shyly, “I—” Where do I even begin? She scratched the side of her head. “I’m not sure of it myself, but—” she paused for a while.

“Go on.”

“Well, when you’re around or when I think about you—there’s this—it’s hard to explain.” She looked up at Solar and smiled, tucking Solar’s hair behind her ear. “You make me feel happy. You make me feel worry. Being with you is like a roller-coaster ride, but no matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to get you out of my head.”

“Do you want to?”

“I thought I did.” She chuckled. “Now, I feel like my days would be empty without you.”

“When did you start feeling this way?”

“I don’t know,” she shook her head. “But when I saw that you were in danger, I knew—at that moment I realized how much you mean to me. All I could think of was—I just didn’t want to lose you.”

“You won’t.” She caressed Moonbyul’s face, drying the tears building up at the corner of Moonbyul’s eyes.”

Moonbyul held her hand. “What I want to say is—I think I have feelings for you. You know—more than a friend. I’m not sure how to say this—”

“That you love me?” Solar raised both her brows and smiled sweetly.

“Yes.” She met Solar’s gaze and whispered with a smile, “I think I’m in love with you.”