Chapter 6

We Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: this is finally the drama y'all are waiting for! 😁 though I don't think you'd be happy for what you're about to read. >.< anyway, as promised, today's chapter is longer than usual. 

thanks for the subs and votes 💕 you can leave comments too!

 

Yujin and Gahyun are finally backstage and on standby waiting for their turn for the auditions.

 

"Are you ready?" Gahyun faces Yujin.

 

"I think I'm going to faint, Gahyun." Yujin is blankly staring and standing stiffly. "What’s a worse superlative than Nervous?"

 

Gahyun scans her friend’s expression and looks her from head to toe, "Catatonic?"

 

Yujin finally breaks into a smile, "Is it that bad?"

 

"Seriously..? I thought I was talking to a statue!" Gahyun exclaims and they both start laughing heartily. At least for now, they still can.



There's no backing out now. Yujin gathers her bearings and reminds herself why she's here in the first place. It's no doubt Yujin has natural talent and skills, while those could still be improved. Yet that's not the main point. She did this for her own sake. And by truly pursuing her dream, she is finally done with hiding and wants to truly be her true self.

 

 

The Spaceship ENT trainees enter the stage...

 

"Fighting! Fighting! Fighting, fighting, fighting! Fighting! Fighting! Fighting, fighting, fighting!" The two girls chant as they get on the stage.

 

Chaeyeon double checks the second form in front of her. She is in utter shock and confusion and starts looking over her fellow mentors searching for some answers.

 

"I'm not.. A- am I?.. Is this a hidden camera prank?" Chaeyeon asks the rest of the mentors.

 

All this while, her fellow mentors have all voiced their own surprise.

 

Yena has this amused expression, "Chaeyeon, are you for real?.. You didn't know?!"

 

"I seriously had no idea.." Chaeyeon is even more dumbfounded while she reads that her daughter has been training for more than a year now.

 

"This is your Yujin, Chaeyeon unnie? Wow! She's all grown up now!" Yuri interjects.

 

Just like the rest of them, Kaeun, seated right next to Chaeyeon, is thrilled to see Yujin. However she notices her friend's silence. So she asks, "What's the matter?" Placing a hand on her arm.

 

Chaeyeon turns and asks once more, "Unnie, am I being pranked?"

 

Though Chaeyeon had a smile on her face, Yujin can tell the meaning behind is not the same as with the ones seen on the rest of the mentors' faces–the kind of smile that automatically breaks out from one’s face, when they choose to hide the real emotions they are feeling.

 

"I don't think so, Chaeyeon. Let's talk to them."

 

"Please introduce yourselves." Chungha starts.

 

"Hello, we are trainees from Spaceship ENT, Cho Gahyun and Kwon-Lee Yujin."

 

"Yujinie! What brings you here?" Yena asks, excitement can clearly be heard from her question.

 

"First of all.. hello, NIZ*ONE aunts, long time no see." She bows again and waves her hand in greeting. Then she briefly glances to Chaeyeon sporting the most confident smile she could muster, "Hi, Mom... So, I'm here to pursue my dream, just like everyone else."

 

Gasps and whispers start to erupt from the audience as they realize what situation is unfolding right before their eyes. So, even without the PD’s cues, Chaeyeon cuts off the interview and tells them, “Let’s see their audition.”

 

The two trainees take their respective positions to perform their song-and-dance routine to Little Mix's Wings.


Chaeyeon puts on a stern expression, but the way she’s unconsciously shaking one of her legs betrays the nervousness she is feeling inside. She has never once seen Yujin perform before. Sure, she’s heard her daughter sing, but not in performance. Or she never just took time to notice. Chaeyeon knew a few times Yujin joined her school’s talent shows before and each time, Eunbi told her their daughter did great. But that was her other mother talking. What should she expect? Not like her wife would criticize their daughter. Chaeyeon is growing anxious, but she doesn’t really know why. Is she worried that Yujin would make mistakes and thus, embarrass herself? Or is she worried that Yujin, her daughter, would be a cause of her embarrassment?

 

Mama told me

Not to waste my life,

She said spread your wings,

My little butterfly

 

Don't let what they say

Keep you up at night

And they can't detain you

'Cause wings are made to fly


 

The minute and a half performance ended before Chaeyeon could even gather and focus herself. Gahyun and Yujin did as well as what’s expected from idol trainees. No question if they could both sing and dance, but it can be seen clearly there is still more room for improvement. Chaeyeon’s mouth was about to open, but


 

“Does anyone of you have anything else prepared? Maybe sing or dance more?” Yuri asks as their performance seemed too short to really showcase their skills.

 

Chaeyeon shoots a panicked glare at the singer, but Yuri was looking at the trainees expecting an answer. Before anyone can even notice her silent protest, Gahyun thankfully raises her hand, “I do! I’ll dance!”

 

Yujin stepped aside from the stage so Gahyun could dance. While her friend was on stage, Yujin was observing her mom. She finally has a smile on her face now that she’s watching someone confident dance, she thinks. To halt the feelings of disappointment brewing inside of her, she started to enumerate some good points about her performance, I didn’t commit any mistakes, I managed to smile the whole time, I smoothly changed into my positions
 I.. But it wasn’t enough.

 

Gahyun ended her dance routine, and the mentors seemed to love it; they started talking amongst each other. Yujin walked back to the stage to stand next to her friend at the center spot, and as soon as she took her position, she raised her hand.

 

It was Chungha who took notice, “Yes, Yujin, did you want to dance too?”

 

Chaeyeon looks at her daughter, but she has a worried expression. She was feeling nervous again.

 

“No, I’m going to sing.”

 

At this, Chaeyeon unknowingly lets out a sigh of relief.

 

“Okay! Let’s hear it!” Yuri excitedly chimes in.

 

It was now Gahyun’s turn to step aside from the stage. Yujin took the center spot and for a moment, she closed her eyes, breathed in and out deeply to rid herself of any more of her leftover nerves. When she opened her eyes again, her demeanor changed to one that’s determined, yet sentimental. She sang Heize’s You, Clouds, Rain.

 

As Yujin was singing, she frequently looked over to her mom. Chaeyeon’s expression has surprisingly turned into one of awe. So when Yujin saw this, she started to feel more confident, and continued to do well until the end of her performance.

 

The whole studio clapped their hands when the song ended, Chaeyeon included. Though Yujin didn’t exactly see that, she at least felt better now. However, the evaluations don't end until both trainees are given their grade levels.

 

The mentors are all gathered at one side of their table upfront, tallying their own scores and discussing amongst each other in hushed tones


 

"I think they both did very well." Yena starts, but refuses to suggest specific grade levels.

 

"The group performance was fine. Though their vocals were a little unstable." Yuri comments.

 

"Let's start with Cho Gahyun." Kaeun suggests.

 

"Again, the vocals were fine, yet unstable. Nothing too remarkable but, she did well with the individual dance routine." Chungha states her piece.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter