Chapter 3

We Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April was ending but Yujin's misery had only just begun. Inside the Spaceship ENT CEO's office, Yujin and Gahyun were seated. The other times she was here, she doesn’t remember the air conditioning temperature being set this cold before. And when the CEO finally informed both trainees that they passed the PD101 preliminary auditions, Yujin thought she had been dumped with ice-cold water as the news sent a shiver down her spine. Why is she so shocked when her mom already predicted this would happen?

 

The moment the CEO finishes with all the congratulatory remarks and schedule updates, Yujin stands up, bows 90 degrees, and is the first one out of the office.

 

Gahyun soon follows her into the practice room, "Hey, Yujin.. what's the matter? This is what you wanted, right?"

 

"Not exactly what I had pictured in my mind.." She answers while in a daze. "I must have been crazy..." she groans out as she lays flat on the floor and stares blankly at the ceiling.

 

"Yujin, you are a mentor's daughter. You think they read off your mother's name from your form and expect to still treat you like some wannabe idol trainee, like myself? They probably said, 'Mother: Lee Chaeyeon,' and immediately gave you a free pass."

 

Yujin covers her eyes with her forearm and tries not to be offended at that, "Ugh.. you're giving me a headache."

 

"I'm giving you a headache?" The audacity of this friend to feel offended. "You gave yourself one, Yujin. I, Cho Gahyun, confirm that, You, Kwon-Lee Yujin, are crazy! You could have just one day, come up to your mom and tell the truth to her face.”

 

“It’s not that easy, okay...”

 

“So, you just decided to go with it the harder way? I don’t get it.. You know, you didn't have to go through all this."

 

Yujin stares at the ceiling again, "I have to. Mom did once say you have to be crazy enough about something if you want to achieve it." As she was saying that, all of what's about to happen finally sinks in. She wishes the ground would swallow her up right now. But of course, she doesn't even have time for that. Their manager and dance teacher arrives at the practice room prompting them to start learning and practicing the short routine they had prepared for the first class evaluations.

 

Maybe Yujin really has gone crazy.. Or she thought maybe the scale of how she’s going to reveal the truth to her mom would imply that her decision holds more weight than what could be seen from the surface–it is not just an immature scheme to seek attention from a parent nor was it some rebellious phase she’s just going through–Yujin is pursuing a dream just like how her mom once did. Why should she be at fault for pursuing her dream?

 

 

There's only a week left until PD101 starts filming. Chaeyeon equally becomes busier preparing both as mentor and as WanjeonChae Academy CEO, who needs to temporarily hand over some of her tasks and responsibilities for the duration of filming the show. She’s spending most of her time at the academy and hence, has barely spent time at home. Sleeping almost only the reason for the majority of her presence.

 

Unfortunately and consequently for Yujin, she has barely crossed paths with Chaeyeon. When she’s at home, Chaeyeon arrives later. When her mom arrives, she’s already asleep. When she wakes up, her mom is already at the academy. Inevitably leaving her with no opportunity to finally tell Chaeyeon the truth.

 

All this time, Eunbi doesn't once try to intervene thinking she's letting her daughter own up to her own decisions. She also fears that getting ahead of Yujin’s own confession would cause her to feel betrayed–not wanting her own relationship with Yujin to become as complicated, when her daughter's already burdened with a complicated relationship with her other mother.

 

While Eunbi knows Yujin’s situation will eventually affect her own relationshi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter