if i were a snowman, i'd melt standing next to you.

pumpkin spice and coffee

A/N: People seemed to like my other SooQi fic, so I wrote another one. Enjoy.


 

Depending on whom you ask, December meant snow. So, really. There should be snow right now. 

 

The wind outside is as crisp and sharp as the crack of a whip, lashing out of stinging cold up the pink cheeks of passersby all bundled up in layered parkas and thick scarves wrapped snugly around their flushed necks. Like presents that are packed together on the sidewalks.

 

A flurry of leaves has been torn off their branches to spiral and flitter into currents of air, which stuck them to fogged-up windows, storefront signs, and streetlamps. Inside the many shops and buildings that litter the pavements, the remnants of warm air clung to skin like melted caramel—the scent of pine, and cinnamon, and chocolate hovering in the dense atmosphere at perfect nose level.

 

Adults, teens, and even children alike would step inside the cozy, lit coffee shop like they were stepping into the holiday itself, reddened noses peeking over their scarves and turtlenecks, before sniffing at the sweetened air as though they could immerse themselves in it, eyes twinkling like storefront glass reflecting fairy lights.

 

And yet, there’s still no snow.

 

Song Yuqi leans against the counter with a sigh. Work’s been slow today, much slower than the usual stream of friendly regulars that frequented the shop during these hours. The tables are mostly empty—save for the two patrons sitting at their usual spot by the window. Textbooks and notes splayed out in front them, as they diligently typed away on their respective laptops.

 

A moment later, the shorter girl slumps back on her chair and rakes her fingers through the silver waves of her hair. A few of the strands stick to her long-knit sweater as she stretches her arms, before lightly nudging a white sneaker against the booted foot of the vixen sitting across her.

 

Startled, the much taller girl looks up with her straight hair falling nicely down her shoulders in curtains of sleek black. Shortie says something to her, and she replies with a small nod and a smile. The latter then gets up from their table to head towards the counter, where Yuqi flashes her a casual grin.

 

“Who’s your friend, Soyeon-unnie?” The barista asks while side-eyeing the mystery girl, who looks soft and cuddly in her fluffy winter jacket as she tucks a lock of hair behind her ear.

 

“Her name’s Soojin. We’re working together on a business project that’s due by the end of the month.”

 

Soyeon tells her as she straightens up the round-rimmed glasses on her nose, the hummable chorus of Ariana Grande’s “Santa Tell Me” playing through the shop’s speakers and mixing with her words.

 

“Gotta tell you, Wooks. Graduate school is overrated and a huge pain in the .” Soyeon huffed. “I thought I didn’t get enough sleep back in college, but now it’s like I hardly get any sleep at all.”

 

“Is she a good partner though?” Yuqi tilts her head, eyebrows furrowed in concern. “She’d better not be making you do all the work or something.”

 

Soyeon waved her hands frantically.

 

“God, no. Soojin’s the total opposite. She’s actually doing most of the work, so I feel kinda bad that she has to carry me through it. But, uh… Soojin doesn’t talk much.” She explains, lowering her voice at the end. “She’s really sweet, don’t get me wrong, but also pretty quiet. The prof paired us up last week, and we haven’t spoken much outside of our meet-ups. I’m starting to believe she’s uncomfortable around me.”

 

“Seems like you two could use a little pick-me-up.” Yuqi said, smiling. “Can’t go wrong with a good cup of coffee. The usual, right?”

 

“Yeah. Oh, and a pumpkin spice latte for Soojin. It’s what she got the last time.” Soyeon slides over her card as Yuqi puts in their order, just when the entrance bell chimed as several more customers bustle in and greet their favorite barista with a wave.

 

“On it.” Yuqi waves back at the trio before moving towards the workstation, where she starts up the coffee machine to prepare their drinks. Soyeon returns to her table with Soojin as light conversation flowed through the shop in a warm, syrupy haze.

 

“Yo, Caramel!” She calls after several minutes, a cup of hot coffee raised in her hand. “Caramel! Come and get it!”

 

“Heard you loud and clear, Wooks. No need to yell.” Soyeon half-heartedly grumbled as she gets up to collect her drink from the counter. Yuqi just chuckles at her and pulls up another large coffee.

 

“Pumpkin!” She calls out, except no one walks up to claim it. “Pumpkin, anyone?”

 

Soyeon taps Soojin on the arm. “She means you, by the way.”

 

“Huh?” The vixen immediately looks at Yuqi, her eyes wide and bewildered. “Me? I’m Pumpkin?”

 

“Yes you are, Pumpkin.” The cheeky barista grins her way, as the three other patrons chuckle with amusement in the background. “You ordered a pumpkin spice latte, yeah? So, that makes you Pumpkin.”

 

Yuqi then her head at the Korean bombshell seated at a nearby booth, who giggles shyly as she covers her face with a gloved hand.

 

“Miyeon-unnie over there is Vanilla, ‘cuz she likes ordering a hot vanilla latte on most days.”

 

She nudges her chin at the Thai belle laughing across in the same booth, with her platinum-blonde hair peeking out under a wool beanie.

 

“Minnie-unnie is Hazelnut, since she only drinks hazelnut chai tea and never coffee.”

 

Finally, her eyes flit over to the Taiwanese beauty sitting beside the Vanilla girl. Her calamine-pink lips tugged upwards into a puckish smile.

 

“And my buddy Shuhua is Cookie, since her favorite drink here is a chocolate chip cookie milkshake.”

 

Yuqi turns back to the bemused Soojin, who seems to be catching up to her strange naming convention, and beams. “So, you are undeniably Pumpkin. But if it helps, I call Soyeon-unnie Caramel. ‘Cuz she always gets a caramel macchiato and even had the hair for it back then. Now she just looks like an oreo McFlurry.”

 

Soyeon, with clamped around the straw of her drink, rolls her eyes at that.

 

“That’s… honestly creative. Though, I’m not sure Pumpkin would really fit me.” Soojin said, the corner of her cherry-red lips quirking up into a playful smirk. “Because if you went by hair, I’d be Espresso.”

 

She smoothly brushes a lock of hair away from her face, which Yuqi finds out to be a really dark shade of taupe-brown under the orange glow of the pendant lights above them. Yuqi just laughs, however, and Soojin responds to it with a mediated smile. As if she wasn’t sure of how to react, or if she should prolong their little interaction.

 

“Fair point, but Pumpkin has a cute ring to it.” The flirtatious wink on the barista’s face makes Soojin blush a little, so she ducks her head slightly to hide it. “Anyway, enjoy your latte.”

 

“Thank you… Yuqi.” The vixen reads off the black nametag attached to Yuqi’s dark-green apron, her voice being as soft and mellow as the homely atmosphere of the shop, before taking the offered cup with a captivating smile.

 

“No problem, Pumpkin.

 

With a tinkling laugh, Soojin shakes her head fondly and turns to join Soyeon back at their work-strewn table—but not before dropping a few notes into the mason jar by the cashier. Yuqi doesn’t take tips very often, since the pay itself was already good enough as it is. And she’s partly there for the experience and “domesticity” of working a simple job in-between her classes. But for certain, her co-workers would be delighted about the extra pocket money.

 

Nodding her head, Yuqi leans against the counter and watches the shop activity with a lazy, yet content gaze.

 

Soojin seems like a pretty down-to-earth person. And with stunning fox-eyes too. Yuqi didn’t even need the snow if she could just stare into those eyes instead. Ones that remind her of a crackling fireplace you’d huddle closer to after a day out in the cold, as it embraced you with its comforting warmth.

 

 

 

 

More than a week later, Yuqi is reviewing for her English Literature class while working her afternoon shift at the coffee shop. A bright-red poinsettia has been tucked behind her ear, and Soyeon’s raucous laughter is loud enough to drown out Jonas Brothers singing “Like It’s Christmas” through the speakers.

 

“Real funny, captain.” Yuqi deadpans, plucking the flower out and placing it back in the glass vase by the register.

 

“Wait, wait. I wasn’t able to take a picture yet.” Soyeon wheezed, one hand bracing the table while the other goes up to wipe away her mirthful tears.

 

“It looks pretty on you, Yuqi.” Soojin managed to say through her bouts of giggles, smiling so widely that her face almost looked like it would tear at the seams. “Very festive.”

 

“Yeah, well, I can’t stand poinsettias. But thanks, unnie.” The barista smiles back. “They look so fake though, like… plastic or something. If you gave me a sunflower, I’d be a lot more impressed.”

 

“Sunflowers? In December?” Soyeon, having (somewhat) recovered from her laughing fit, shakes her head. “Yeah, don’t see that happening any time soon. It’s all about the Christmas spirit, Wooks. Not the summer vibes.”

 

Yuqi just waves it off and turns back to her notebook laid open on the empty counter. Her eyes skimming through the neatly-written notes as she memorized and summarized the important details for her test tomorrow. “Doesn’t matter. Soojin-unnie, can you quiz me on the book a little?”

 

“Oh, sure.” The vixen flips through the index cards in hand and starts. “What are the main themes of The Great Gatsby?”

 

“Social stratification, the illusion of the Jazz Age, and the decline of the American Dream in the 1920s.” Yuqi recites flawlessly.

 

“Did Gatsby ever love Daisy?”

 

“No, he only loved the idea of loving her. He was drawn to her social status, but his infatuation stems from what Daisy represents rather than who she is as a person.”

 

“Good.” Soojin nods, impressed. “Now what does the yellow car represent in the book?”

 

“Gatsby’s energy.”

 

Soojin purses her lips. “… You know, you could’ve just said ‘over-compensation’ and I still would’ve marked it correct.”

 

A shrug. “Just hitting the nail on the head, unnie. Plus, I’m right.”

 

“Well… yes. But it actually represents Gatsby’s character as this wealthy man whose aim is to impress other people. Especially Daisy.” She explained. “In short, it’s about Gatsby’s opulent status being manifested into a personal asset.”

 

“Yeah, and that asset is Gatsby’s energy.” Yuqi states with finality. “Can’t argue with SparkNotes, unnie.”

 

“Okay, but could you at least say ‘’ a little quieter next time? We’re like, in a public space—and you’re still on work shift.”

 

“Relax, Jinnie. No one else is here except for that one ahjussi snoring in the corner.” Soyeon gestures at the old man sleeping to his heart’s content at a leather couch near the kitchen area, his flat cap tilted down to cover most of his face while a newspaper laid sprawled over his lap. “I still have to finish up on some Business calc stuff before I leave. Jungkook and his friends are way too loud for me to get anything done back home.”

 

“At least you don’t have to deal with your relatives coming over for a family gathering. Christmas might be my favorite holiday, but not when I have to deal with all of them at once. I feel like a kid hanging around a bunch of stuck-up adults in the house.”

 

Soojin said, a sigh hanging on the edge of her lips as she collected Yuqi’s note cards and sets them aside.

 

“Changbin and I are practically forced to socialize, just because our parents think that it’s disrespectful not to have a conversation with them. I’ve barely seen most of my mother’s side of the family since I was like, what? Fourteen?” She closes her eyes and sighs again. “But half the time, things are pretty boring. Changbin would even try to pull a stunt and sneak vodka into the punch bowls.”

 

“You can always drown it out with coffee, Pumpkin.” Yuqi advised, her arms folded across the marble-top counter as she grins wickedly. “Not that I mind at all, since I get to see you two more often. Plus, my co-workers love your generous tips. I should probably ask my boss if she can make you both honorary mascots of this place.”

 

“Tempting, but nah. My hands are tied.”

 

Soyeon throws a glance at the messy pile of notes before her.

 

“I’ll be graduating next year, and my dad already planned this whole training program at his entertainment company for me. Yoongi-oppa dropped out long ago for an underground rapping career, so I pretty much took over his place as the next CEO. Can’t say I’m mad though, it’s nice seeing him enjoy what he does for once.”

 

She then jerks a thumb at Soojin.

 

“Make Jinnie the mascot. She goes here more frequently than I do nowadays, and she’ll be sticking around for a few more years. Give or take.”

 

“And I won’t be going anywhere else for coffee.” Soojin adds with a smile, reaching for her latte drink that the barista had made earlier and taking a couple sips.

 

Yuqi returns the gesture just as easily, before grabbing her old copy of The Great Gatsby and flipping through some of its dog-eared pages. She’d even gone as far as to annotate certain parts of the book with slips of colored sticky notes, or even underlining and highlighting the important text for later reference.

 

“You know, I was told that most people read this back in high school… or, at least, other people did. For me, it was usually just trivia books, Goosebumps, and Star Trek.”

 

“I don’t think Star Trek’s a book, Yuqi.” Soyeon points out.

 

“Even if it’s not, the principle’s still the same.”

 

There’s a momentary silence that passes through the shop as Yuqi continues to flip through her book—noting the occasional Gatsby, or Buchanan, or Old sport—until she hears a splash behind her, followed by a loud cry of pain.

 

“!”

 

Yuqi immediately whips her head up and is greeted by the sight of Soojin clutching her hand with a pained look on her face. Hot latte spilt all over the table and dripping to the hardwood floor, as Yuqi drops her book before rushing over to assess the damage.

 

“Crap, crap, crap! Not my cheat sheets!” Soyeon lunges for her notes before the growing puddle could spread to them. “It took me days to compile them! If any of the ink runs, I swear I’m gonna cry.”

 

Soojin glared at her and utters a very pointed “Ow.”

 

“Wait, did you burn yourself?”

 

“Oh, no. I’m just holding my hand for dramatic effect.” She replies scathingly.

 

Soyeon raises her hands in defense. “Alright, point taken. No need to get all snappy.”

 

The barista, however, had already taken Soojin’s other hand in her own and gently urges the vixen out of her chair. “Come on, Pumpkin. Let’s get you sorted out.” She said before turning to Soyeon. “Unnie, can you watch the shop real quick?”

 

A thumbs-up. “Gotchu.”

 

Soojin gets up and allows Yuqi to tug her along into the bathroom, where she’s lead towards the sink and has her hand placed under the running faucet. Flinching a bit at the sting she gets from the ice-cold water splashing onto her burn.

 

“Doesn’t look too bad.” Yuqi comments while examining the red spot with a critical eye. “It’ll likely be gone in a day, so don’t worry.”

 

“But it’s my fault, I-I bumped the cup with my arm.” Soojin managed to stutter, a little too distracted by the feeling of Yuqi’s thumb brushing lightly across her skin.

 

“Relax, I’ve had my fair share of burns since I started working here. At this point, it’s pretty normal for me.” Yuqi shoots her a reassuring smile, which eases the frown on the older girl’s face. “Really, unnie. Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Fine. I’ll help clean up my mess though.”

 

Soojin says earnestly and makes a move to pull away from the sink, except Yuqi doesn’t let her. “I don’t think so!” She chirps playfully, grabbing her wrist and tugging her back as Soojin lets out a yelp. “You have to leave the burn under water for ten minutes, and it certainly hasn’t been ten yet. You’re not going anywhere.”

 

Seeing that she’s left with no other choice but to comply, Soojin’s shoulders slump in defeat. Her face looking bashful as she stares down at their conjoined hands.

 

“I don’t know how I’m going to explain this…” She mumbles in a quiet voice.

 

Yuqi furrowed her brows. “Explain what? You spilled hot coffee, it got on your skin, and now you’re here trying to rinse it off. Seriously, unnie. It’s not some huge plot twist or whatever.”

 

Soojin shakes her head. “No, it’s… it’s not that.” She says weakly. “I told my parents I wasn’t going back to the shop again, so they think I’m still at the campus this whole time.”

 

Confused, the barista tilts her head.

 

“Why don’t they want you to come back here?”

 

A sigh. “They think it’s pointless, you know? Me being here all the time when I can just study in the library without distractions. Think it’s bad for my grades, which is pretty ridiculous.”

 

For a moment, Soojin’s eyes linger on Yuqi—who catches her gaze for a split second—before she looks away. Cheeks turning a faint color that’s barely noticeable under the dim lighting of the restroom.

 

“I know they mean well and just want me to maintain a good GPA after Changbin flunked a couple subjects last term. But they even asked me if I’d met someone when I was here, and if that’s the reason why I’ve started going home late.”

 

“Met someone? What’s that supposed to mean?” Yuqi asked, pulling Soojin’s hand out the water and bringing it close to her face so she could check the state of the burn. “Not that it matters, really. And my parents are sorta like that too, especially with my older brother. He’s a smart guy, just… a bit lazy. So, they tend to get on his case a lot.”

 

“Yeah, but I’m not going to let it bother me.” Soojin replies off-handedly. “They’re just so… overbearing sometimes. I wish I could spend at least one Christmas without them constantly breathing down my neck, and—hold on, you have a brother?”

 

Yuqi nods, her eyes still focused onto Soojin’s hand.

 

“Half-brother, actually. His name is Yukhei, but I normally call him Lucas. My mom met his dad when they moved to China, got married, and now we’re step-siblings.” She explained. “He majors in Computer Engineering at my uni and even got to apply here once, but then our parents told him to focus on his studies first. They weren’t exactly happy with his grades back then, so they’ve gotten a bit stricter this time around.”

 

Noting that the redness had receded a bit, she grabs a tissue from the dispenser nearby and proceeds to dry her hand. Oblivious to the growing blush on Soojin’s face as she watches the barista work away with such diligence, careful not to rub on the burn and risk causing a blister.

 

“There aren’t any dorms on campus, so we’ve been renting one a few blocks down from it. Our parents pay for that along with the tuition, but I started working part-time to help cover for everything else. Like food or art materials. Architecture is hella expensive, and I can’t tell you how much I’ve spent on buying materials for my model projects. Hurts me enough just thinking about it.”

 

Soojin can see where Yuqi is coming from and nods solemnly. “I see…” She muses, thoughtful. “So, it’s only you and Lucas in Seoul right now?”

 

“Yeah, our parents are back home in Beijing.” Yuqi shrugs again, nonchalant. “I don’t mind though, ‘cuz we take care of each other well enough. And frankly, I like it this way. More freedom, less restrictions.”

 

Yuqi keeps turning Soojin’s hand back and forth in her grasp, presumably to check the burn, before noting that she’s been idly the back of her palm with a thumb and hastily breaks contact. Soojin’s eyes flicker to hers for a moment, then drops to the floor with a hint of shyness.

 

“Guess Changbin and I are kinda on the same boat. Having strict parents who are overly-conscious about our grades and stuff.”

 

Sullenly, she exhales a dragged breath.

 

“We still live with them, obviously, but sometimes I just want a place to retreat to. Like a personal space where I could breathe and not feel like I’m being suffocated.”

 

The barista watches her closely. “Well…” She starts in a tentative voice. “You’re always welcome here at the coffee shop, unnie. Even though it’s not the most private spot around and can get pretty cramped during rush hours. But for what it’s worth, I’ll definitely be around to whip up something nice for you.”

 

Soojin smiles appreciatively, touched by clear sentiment in her words and the sincerity that’s reflected in her bright eyes.

 

“I know, Yuqi. Why else would I keep coming back here?” She quipped.

 

“Maybe ‘cuz I make the most bomb- pumpkin spice latte in the neighborhood.” Yuqi states with a proud grin, which has the vixen chuckling at her bravado.

 

“Hmm, I’m not so sure about that…” Soojin purposely drawls, finding amusement in the scandalized look that appears on her face as she lets out a dramatic gasp.

 

“Pumpkin! Are you seriously cheating on me with a different coffee shop?!” Yuqi demands, a hand placed over her heart to feign hurt and betrayal. “And here, I thought we had something special!”

 

“I don’t know. Do we?” Soojin continues to tease.

 

“Don’t make me pour lemon juice on your hand.” Yuqi warns, pointing at the older girl’s barely-visible burn, although they both knew that it was an empty threat. “I’ll have you know, my latte’s the best thing money can buy. At least, when it comes to coffee.”

 

Soojin innocently bats her eyelashes. “So, you’re saying that you’re not overcompensating?”

 

“I…” A pause. “… Quiet, unnie. I don’t need this kind of attack from you.”

 

With a hearty laugh, Soojin covers her smiling mouth with her other hand as her fox-eyes curved into sparkling crescents. And Yuqi swears that her heart might’ve skipped a beat from the endearing sight.

 

“Alright. I won’t deny that your latte’s the best I’ve ever had.” Soojin concedes, smirking.

 

Yuqi grins even wider. “Damn right it is.”

 

They leave the restroom shortly after, just as Soyeon calls out to them. “Hey, guys! Look!” She gestures towards the shop’s windows, one arm full of soggy, brown paper towels, as her eyes gleamed with excitement. “I think you two might wanna see this.”

 

For a brief moment, Yuqi couldn’t see what Soyeon was raving about—until her eyes caught the tiny specks of white sprinkling down onto the streets.

 

“Finally!” She crows, watching the flecks of snow build up on the curbs and windowsills.

 

“It’ll be a half a foot by Christmas if this keeps up.” Soojin tells them, her lips pulled back into a half-smile as she observes Yuqi’s childlike wonderment with a soft gaze.

 

“Hell yeah! And that’s why the drinks are on me today!” The barista declares happily.

 

“Wooks, the drinks are on literally everything except for you.” Soyeon points out.

 

“You know what I mean, captain.”

 

 

 

 

A couple weeks later, Soojin receives a text message from Yuqi.

 

Woogiraffe 🦒

Heya, Pumpkin ;)

Think you can drop by the shop this Friday??

 

Cherry 🍒❤️

Isn’t Tuesday a Christmas day?

 

Woogiraffe 🦒

I know, but I have something to show you!!!

5PM, Friday. Pls come 🥺👉👈

I promise it won’t take long!

 

Cherry 🍒❤️

With that emoji, how could I ever reject? 😘

I’m not sure if my parents would let me leave though…

 

Woogiraffe 🦒

Sneak out then!

It’s a surprise, and I really want you to see it :DD

 

Cherry 🍒❤️

Okay, so convincing~

 

Woogiraffe 🦒

YAAAYYYYY

Thanks, unnie!! ^u^

 

Cherry 🍒❤️

Anything for you, Yuqi. 💕💕

  

The two stared at their respective screens with huge smiles on their faces.

 

Needless to say, they can’t wait for Christmas to roll in.

 

 

 

 

 

As the long-awaited day came, snow had already packed the curbs and sidewalks. And the roads were even slick with a thin sheen of ice.

 

Soojin drives slowly, regretting that she hadn’t taken up on Changbin’s offer to put snow chains on the tires when she had pulled out of the driveway. She had taken her younger brother’s ’96 Impala, a gift he had gotten for his high school graduation (which certainly looked like it came from a second-hand dealer shop, but in a surprisingly good condition), and—after tampering in vain with the godawful heater for ten minutes straight—resorted to wearing cashmere gloves so that her fingers wouldn’t stick to the steering wheel.

 

She could’ve been home. With a functioning heater and a blanket wrapped around her shoulders, eating leftover carrot cake and maybe watching a Christmas rom-com or two while her parents were away on a holiday dinner with some friends. But then Yuqi wouldn’t have asked her to come if it wasn’t something important. And, as Soojin was a bit stubborn to admit it, she’s a tad curious on what it could possibly be.

 

She’s used to being given surprises before. But with Yuqi, well… She feels that the possibilities are endless, ranging from a new pair of boots to even a new coffee machine.

 

Yuqi wouldn’t have asked her to come if it wasn’t something truly, undeniably, irrevocably important, and—wait.

 

Why the Hell is there a horse carriage in front of the shop?

 

Soojin blinks a few times to see if what she’s seeing is real. And unfortunately, it really is.

 

The strong-looking stallion tosses its huge, brown head back. Powerful hooves pawing at the frosty ground, while the white carriage attached to it has been decked with garlands of holly, golden ribbons that flutter in the cool breeze. Seated on the small bench up front is a middle-aged man dressed in a black coat and a fuzzy ushanka hat, with its ear flaps tied up to the crown by drawstrings.

 

Once she had parked the Impala at an open parking space, Soojin steps out almost hesitantly. Walking a little closer to examine the fancy carriage, before stepping back when the horse turns to peek at her behind its blinders.

 

“So, here’s what I’ve been thinking…”

 

A deep voice interjects from behind, and Soojin looks around to see Yuqi stepping out from the shop’s entrance. Dressed in a printed knit sweater with a navy-blue beanie sitting on her head.

 

“Lucas is spending Christmas at a ski resort with his friends, you didn’t want to be stuck with your parents, and I didn’t want to celebrate the holiday by myself. In other words—” The barista hops up into the carriage and leans out the other side, her smile being wide enough to crack into two like ice. “—Merry Christmas, unnie, is what I was thinking.”

 

“But… what about Soyeon?” Soojin asked, her eyes wide in bewilderment.

 

“She’s with her family on a holiday trip to Busan. Won’t be back until January, I think.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Yuqi then plops down on the plush, velvet seat and looks at her wristwatch. “Anyway, we’d better get going.” She informs her. “Can’t have good, ol’ Elias out here in the cold for too long.”

 

“I wouldn’t worry too much. This old fella’s been out in a blizzard and came back with icicles in his mane.” The driver said with a fatherly grin as he adjusts his ushanka with a gloved hand. “He can handle a pissy, little shower like this one with no problem.”

 

“Okay, samchon. I don’t want you to be out in the snow then.” Yuqi chuckles. “You usually end up with a cold as soon as the temperature drops, and I don’t want you dropping like a fly on me either.”

 

“Watch it, kid. Don’t make me raise the price.” The chipper man joked.

 

“What? Is the free mocha not good enough for you? I’m deeply hurt, samchon.”

 

He just shakes his head, conceding easily. “Ah, never mind. Is your friend still coming with you?” He asks while cocking his head at Soojin.

 

Yuqi glances her way. “Yo, unnie. You need a boost or something?”

 

Soojin rolls her eyes before hoisting herself up into the carriage, where she slid onto the empty space next to Yuqi. The moment she got settled in, the horse sets off on a brisk trot down the frosted street. And she can’t help but shiver from the cold wind slapping her face with annoying repetitiveness.

 

“Here.” Yuqi procures a fleece blanket out from the back of the seat and throws it around Soojin’s quivering form, wrapping it around her shoulders and neck, then tugs the other half up to cover herself.

 

Nestled into Yuqi and the blanket’s warmth, Soojin pulls up her legs to curl up further into the seat. Shops and houses pass, decorated with Christmas decorations like fairy lights and wreaths, while some children have gone out to build deformed snowmen from the curb slush, or forming misshapen snow angels in the patches of white. The swift clop of hooves beat like a metronome against the street, with the carriage bouncing slightly as they travel along an uneven path.

 

Leaning back, Soojin tries to cover everything else but her eyes as the freezing wind persisted. Bitterly cold and sharp on the skin of her face.

 

“Hold on.” Yuqi spoke up, her arm weaving around Soojin to hold the older girl close. “Is this better?” She asked softly.

 

The vixen nods, burying her nose against Yuqi’s shoulder as she twists her neck to gaze down the open road. Her plump cheeks coloring into a rather prominent blush, which she attempts to hide in Yuqi's sweater.

 

“Hey, unnie. Have you seen the giant Christmas tree at Seoul Plaza yet?”

 

She shakes her head.

 

“Well, let me tell you. It’s super awesome. Probably has enough lights to fill up an entire house from top to bottom, no joke.”

 

Soojin nods again and feels her eyes droop. She hadn’t thought of getting any coffee before she left, and the swaying of the carriage was like a grownup cradle rocking back and forth. She can feel Yuqi’s breathing under her arm, deep and steady like waves beating against rocks—endless, perpetual—while hers, on the other hand, seems to have stopped completely.

 

in a harsh breath, Soojin turns her head so that she’s looking up at Yuqi. The latter looks down at her in turn and, from this angle, she can see every little detail on her face. The ginger-colored freckles that vaguely dust the highpoints of her cheeks, the cupid’s bow of her upper lip, and her cognac eyes that remind Soojin of sweet honey with the thinnest of golden flecks in them.

 

No doubt, they’d look even sweeter and more breathtaking against the first rays of dawn. But there’s something else to them, something strange like… a fireplace embedded deep within, right where the irises are.

 

(And if Soojin made a mistake, well. She could always throw herself from the carriage and flee.)

 

She rushes forward without reservation.

 

Yuqi’s lips were as cold as iron on a winter’s night. As chapped and dry as the bark of an old tree on blistering days. And yet, Soojin can’t resist sinking further into them as she closes her eyes. Fiercely shutting out the rest of the world and tethered only by the feeling of Yuqi’s lips, which are stiff and still like a deer about to dart, against her own. Fingers clenching tightly with frazzled nerves, while her thoughts laid scattered and running about.

 

Idiot! Look what you’ve done! Her mind screams. You just had to go in and wreck everything for yourself!

 

But then Yuqi is suddenly kissing her back, and there’s even music playing in the background. The Hallelujah chorus, she’d come to realize. Faint and tinny, but unmistakable.

 

Was it coming from her own head? Soojin can’t tell. But one thing she does know is that the barista’s lips taste like espresso beans and snow, like caramel and frost. Her nose touching Soojin’s cheek, while her breath comes out hot as steam against the other girl’s mouth. So substantial and robust that Soojin thought she could swallow it up to warm her lungs, or fill her stomach up like a hot-air balloon.

 

Yuqi’s lips, writhing and swaying like a tree in the wind. And Soojin being pulled along like a kite, desperate to stay tethered as she curled her fingers into Yuqi’s sleeve.

 

“I can hear music.” Soojin said once she finally pulls away. It’s louder now, stronger, and she instinctively smiles against .

 

“That’s ‘cuz we’re at the tree, unnie.” Yuqi replies and jerks her head over Soojin’s shoulder. The vixen follows her direction and finds the large tree sparkling like a great monolith against the darkening sky. Glittering with dozens of multicolored lights and baubles decorating it, while the top is illuminated by a glowing, white cross.

 

Soojin lets out a sigh, feeling the last of Yuqi’s warm breath leaving her, as she leans further back against the barista’s side. There was something amiss, she’s certain about it. Because this kind of thing never happens unless something is already wrong.

 

“Yuqi…” Soojin starts, biting her bottom lip as she turns to face her. “I’m sorry about what I did earlier… I-I didn’t mean to be so brash, and—mmph!”

 

And then Yuqi reaches for her this time. One hand strong on the back of Soojin’s neck, while her lips are determined and insistent, and so deliciously warm. Soojin tilts her head back, not caring about the light haze of snowflakes coating her features, as she deepens their kiss by drawing Yuqi forward by the front of her sweater. Wanting, longing for more.

 

Is this what religious awakening feels like? She can’t help but think. Like something that was reaching down and tugging at her soul. Golden fingerprints covering her bones, flowers and fruits and ancient trees sprouting in her lungs. Evergreen ivy trailing up her spine, like she was made to exist in order to live. Or perhaps, in this case, to love.

 

To love Yuqi, strong and recurring as the ocean’s tides. Smiling like the crescent moon behind clouds as everything felt so alive. So full, so infinite. Like a glass that never ran empty.

 

Ever so slowly, Yuqi pulls away. Her teeth catching Soojin’s bottom lip and tugging ever so slightly, like a breeze pulling on the petal of a bloomed rose. Soojin, as though boneless, leans forward and rests her cheek against Yuqi’s chest. Arms coming up to circle her, as she feels the younger’s lips landing gently in her frosted hair.

 

“Happy holidays, Pumpkin.” Yuqi whispered, and Soojin can feel her smiling. She smiles too. So widely, in fact, that might tear at the corners.

 

“Merry Christmas, Yuqi.” She says while nuzzling her face further into Yuqi’s soft sweater.

 

Behind them, the music sang on and echoes down the well-lit street filled with jolly people. Growing fainter all the while as the snow came down and muffled the clopping of horse hooves against it. Pine trees standing out like sentinels along the road as everything else gets buried under the layers of white ice. Flowers and bushes gone, but their dark-brown and green are enlivened by the thick snow. Bedecked in their blankets of lustrous white and shimmering gold.