Her Past: Her Sweet Blue Flower

Her Present Days

>> Moody by Savannah Sgro

 

Imme marks her answers half-heartedly on the test paper. Every question is easy, thanks to her world-class brain, she's doing oddly good in economics. As if her status as the heir of entrepreneurship should not be doubted, she never had difficulty in lessons even though not a single subject was really interesting to her. Just mention a few subjects that are considered very challenging such as Mathematics, Science, social sciences and including English, she has an extraordinary talent and masters them all very well. For instance, it's been only two weeks she has been introduced to economics by Nara, her father's best friend or also known as the dutiful daughter of Mrs. Jang, Imme's professional life coach since kindergarten. Yet, she's slaying it for an eighteen years old kid. 

 

"I'm very thirsty," she pauses and lifts up her chin to see Nara, a woman in her early forties. "Can I continue this later?" 

Nara chuckles, shaking her head in denial. "You can have it but finish that test first," 

Imme sighs in desperation. She gets cranky all of a sudden and hastily circles each answer without reading it first. 

"Here, done," she passes the paper to Nara and leaves the room in instant. Without thinking long, that her rude behavior would invite trouble, Imme runs to the yard after grabbing a box of strawberry milk in the fridge. 

Somewhat shocked by the teenager's action, Nara stares at the answer sheet. Speechless. It is the first time she encounters Imme's childish side and before this, she didn't talk much, in fact, it is very rare to see her emotions and expressions. What's gotten into that child? She has a brief thought as to processing what just happened. 

Nara takes around 15 minutes to mark Imme's answers and to her surprise, getting the twenty-five over thirty of average level questions is still considered astounding. 

I should've let her get a drink or probably she'll get all correct. 

Nara glances at her watch and releases a stressful breath. 

No wonder she gets cranky, it passed five in the evening already! I totally had manifested her recess, her break time, and so on. Ugh... 

After a few slaps on the forehead, Nara quickly marches to the kitchen, planning to win back Imme's grumpy heart by cooking her favorite black bean noodles. She starts with fresh ingredients and hopes everything's ready as the young Imme returns later. 

Meanwhile, Imme is absorbed with emotions. Slurping to the cold strawberry milk, she wipes away the tears running on her cheeks. 

Her long and slim legs touch the ground as she swings but her mind is nowhere. She neglects every stranger and the children in the playground, forcing her head low from meeting any eyes. She stops swinging when her heart gets heavy and sobs could no longer be restrained. 

She is at the lowest point of her emotions as she feels a tiny hand touches hers at the swing's rope. 

Imme looks up then. 

 

"I don't know what happened to you but this is not a suitable place to cry," a girl wearing a pastel shirt with a short skirt says, as she starts to swing the rope forward. 

Imme sniffs and couldn't take her eyes away from her. 

"You're the kid from that penthouse, am I right?" the girl asks, still swinging it gently. 

Imme nods like a kid and uses the edge of her long sleeve to wipe the snort flowing from her running nose. 

It is a very long pause because they stare at each other deeply. Imme breaks it with a short answer, "Excuse me," and stands up from the swing. Still holding a box of strawberry milk, she refuses to utter a word and thinks what the girl just said is right. There are too many people. She needs to be somewhere more remote but doesn't know where to.

The girl still staring at the young and innocent Imme, as if she has a speck of dirt on her face. 

"I'm leaving," says Imme, ready to go. 

"Where are you going then?" 

Clueless, Imme shoots a random answer. "Away from here," 

 

The girl smiles, showing her dimples on both of her cheeks. 

"I have suggestions, if you don't mind," and she stares back at the tall Imme. "Not very far away, but... enough to make you cry more," 

Imme doesn't reply. She senses that stranger girl is trying to make fun of her so she decides it's better to leave that place immediately. 

She ignores her and starts to walk away. 

 

"I'm Joanne," the girl follows her steps. "I think we're same age person," 

Imme refuses to talk and is still on her way off from the playground. 

"I know Ms. Nara, she's our regular customer," 

The tall girl completely ignores the latter, she flips the back of the hoodie to cover her head and fasten her footsteps. 

"Hey," the girl stops her by grabbing her right arm.

"WHAT?" Imme pauses her pace, sternly asks and their eyes locked momentarily. 

 

Joane could see Imme's sorrow through her light brown orbs and her heart soften for her. "Hungry?" 

"I don't have time for that so now leave me alone, can you?" Imme replies. Again, she's trying to walk away but Joanne is fast enough to block her direction. 

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" 

Imme feels like someone has frozen the time and she hears nothing or sees nothing. Abruptly, her eyes are full of tears and her chest is clamped tight. 

She tries hard to control herself from crying. However, Joanne's question, clearly has evoked the core of her emotion. Imme, known as the tough girl cries and sobs very hardly. Standing still, she covers her face with her palms and unleashes all she feels there, at the moment. 

"I thought... I thought... daddy remembers..." 

Joanne observes Imme in silence. 

Imme couldn't stop sobbing as she furthers, "He said, he'd be here today but he can't," continuously wiping off the heavily running tears. 

Their height gap is too obvious but Joanne realizes how upset Imme is so she reaches for the taller girl's hands. 

"Is there any special occasion today?" she asks, gripping Imme's long fingers. 

Imme nods, letting Joanne, a girl she barely knew hold tight to her hands. "Its---Its--my---birthday," she opens up, still crying. 

"Oh... no wonder you're extremely sad..." Joanne replies with sympathy. "Well... let's go somewhere to make you feel better?" 

That made Imme break from her cries and sobs. She stares at Joanne's face, "But... where to?" 

Another smile, other dimples appear and the young Imme's heart flutters, without her knowing it. 

 

 

 

 

The sound of waves. Who can argue ocean has the purest healing sound in the world? Neither Imme nor Joanne could deny it. 

Imme sits on the huge rock while Joanne is standing against the wide blue ocean side. 

"I used to come here when I was depressed," Joanne talks. "Because nature will never fail us when we're sad or feeling down," 

 

"It sure is," Imme says, finishing her strawberry milk. She rises and stands next to Joanne then. 

 

"My name is Shin Mi," Imme introduces her real name. "But just call me Imme," she continues while looking at Joanne's side profile. 

Imme's mind wonders, and she has come to the understanding of how pretty Joanne is. Despite looking at the magnificent blue ocean view, she has full attention to the latter's beauty. 

"Interesting," Joanne comments. "I heard a lot about you from my boss," 

"Your boss?" 

"Yes. She's a very good friend of your mom," 

Imme frowns, "My mom?" 

"Isn't Ms. Nara is your mom?" 

 

Imme unconsciously lets out a chuckle and corrects the statement, "Joanne, she's not my mom," 

Joanne is startled. "She's not???" 

"Yes, she's not my mom," Imme shoves her hands into the pockets. "What makes you think we're related?" 

"Because," Joanne intrudes, "Every time she came to the store, to buy something, she mentioned proudly that she has a daughter at home. We know she's not married, so... my boss assumed that you are..." Joanne raises her eyebrows. 

"I'm... what?" 

Joanne gives an apologetic smile, "Her love child," 

Imme doesn't say anything afterward but sighs a chuckle again and again. "Weird girl," 

"How old are you by the way? I'm sixteen," Joanne asks, tightening the grip of her rubber hand around the long ponytail. Every time the wind blows, her dark black hair seems to dance with the rhythm. 

"Um, I'm a bit older," Imme says in a tiny voice. "Eighteen, officially. Today," 

"Well, that's in Korean age, right?" 

"Yeah," 

"So... you're still seventeen and I'm still sixteen. A year apart, then let's drop the formality," 

Imme eyes get smaller when she concentrates on Joanne's hair sticking out and her double eyelids eyes. Eyes to eyes, the teenagers are lost in each other's reflection through the stare. 

 

"Technically, I'm not Korean but I grew up here," Joanne's bubby talk continues. "I lived in Atlanta until kindergarten, with mom before she passed away. Now I live with my fierce dad at grandma's place," she shifts her attention from the oceanic view to Imme. "You? What about you?" 

Imme takes quite a while to leave a reply. She remembers her father's message; always humble and say the right thing. 

"I'm from Seoul. I have to stay with Ms. Nara for a while, for educational purposes," 

"You're homeschooled?" 

Imme slightly nods. "But I have finished high school," 

 

"And I quit high school," Joanne adds. 

Imme is out of words. 

"I hate school, to be honest. I can't catch up, too many rules and things to remember. My mind is rusty before it's time, and I blame the restrictions," she laughs a little, tilting up to glance at Imme's flawless face. "Earning money is way more suitable for me, that's why I'm working three jobs at once," 

"Three? Are you for real?" clearly Imme is shocked by the new information she's gotten. "How come a minor can work, I mean, legally?" 

"Well, I have to be the responsible one to pay the bills because my dad is... a kind of useless drunkard guy. Another two siblings at school, ill grandma at home, legal or not, I gotta try," Joanne explains, sounding bitter than usual. 

Worldly nature, Imme speaks in her mind. No money, no life. Although she has been fascinated by Joanne's beauty, she also feels upset to hear that. At this age, the world must show more sympathy and tolerance. Teenagehood, as most parents always fear is certainly not an easy phase so every struggle must be accounted for. At such a young age, she should have been given the opportunity to try and explore the beauty of the world, not instead of squeezing energy and time to pay the bills. 

"How you feel now?" Joanne distracts the topic. 

Imme curves a little smile, "I do feel better now," 

 

Joanne nods, smiling even brighter. 

"I gotta go now, Imme. My shift at the convenience store starts at seven p.m," she tells, tapping off the dust of sand from her shinbones. "Know how to get back home?" 

"O-oh... actually," Imme roams her eyes around, getting nervous all of sudden. She's not familiar with the new neighborhood, hoping for Joanne to walk her home but is hesitant to ask. She tries not to sound like a coward, "I don't know where we are, but probably I can just hail a taxi passing by," 

 

Joanne pauses, looking at Imme curiously. "Taxi?" 

"Yeah," Imme replies, not sure. 

"Imme, even from here, I can see the penthouse," Joanne states before pointing her index finger somewhere across the main road next to the seaside. 

She is flabbergasted on the spot. Not knowing what else to say, Imme nods in understanding. 

"Or I can just explore this new place and join the life survival like you," she mumbles, spinning her slender body from facing the wide ocean side. "Thanks," 

Joanne stares at Imme's fidgeting hands before releasing a small laugh. 

"Okay, let's go. I'll show you the way," 

"Nah.... no need to, Joanne. I'm good," Imme immediately refuses though she's dying for a company on her way back home. 

Joanne grabs Imme's right hand and pulls it along as she starts to walk. "Come on, I'm not gonna miss the chance to see that beautiful house closer. Probably once in this lifetime," 

 

Hard to resist, Imme is just able to follow every step Joanne takes but secretly inside she wonders why is it so comfortable and feels lighter as their hands intertwined. If she should always listen to everything from Joanne, as long as they can hold hands like that, she wouldn't mind, ever. 

 

"What's your favorite drink?" Joanne asks, swinging along with their hands as they gradually step vertically at the hilly areas. 

"Ermm... tea, earl grey tea," Imme says shortly. "Sometimes, milk, strawberry milk," 

"What about a favorite movie?" 

"I don't have one," 

Joanne stops and shoots a disbelief look at Imme. "You don't have? How come? Never watch any movie...???" 

Imme, still not letting go of Joanne's tiny fingers, shrugs with confusion. "What about you?" 

Joanne's expression turns extra bright, the dimples of the sides of her cheeks look more appealing than ever from Imme's innocent eyes. She claims, "I love the Twilight series, from the book until film adaptation, I'm their hardcore fan," 

"Them?"Imme frowns, fighting to breathe as they are closer to the top of the hill. 

"Yeah," Joanne continues, "A triangle love between a human, a vampire, and a werewolf. Such a pleasure every time I see Edward on screen!" 

Finally, Imme releases her hand from Joanne's light grip. She's on her knees, struggling to inhale air while Joanne is still in her talkative mode. "I'm on team Edward because he's sincere but I feel it's quite unfair for Jacob too, he's been there for Bella when she's going through a rough patch. But apparently, Bella and Jacob are not destined to each other, they're best friends," 

Imme nods repeatedly, trying to calm her pounding chest. 

"You know what's the most interesting part, Imme?" Joanne focuses back on the older girl's pale face. "The wedding of the century scene in the fourth installation of the saga. When they got married at the altar, everything is so perfect!" 

Once she is able to regain back to her senses, Imme covers when she coughs the desperate air. 

"Are you okay?" Joanne notices the sweats from Imme's face. 

"Yes, just fine," Imme reassures, wiping her wet forehead with her long-sleeve cloth. "Wait a moment," she says, standing at the entrance of the penthouse. She presses the red button next to the door access control system and a few minutes later, a woman's voice echoes from another line. 

"It's me, Ms. Nara," 

Then, the automatic door is unlocked and the teenagers look at each other for a while. 

 

"You got home precisely on time for dinner," Nara welcomes Imme as she opens the door. Noticing Joanne standing next to her student, she smiles instantly at her when the pretty girl bows in a manner. "Oh! Joanne, so you met my dear child already?" 

"Yep, I just did, Ms. Nara," Joanne replies as she understands the awkward glance she just received from Imme, her new friend. 

"Great! We're having jjajangmyeon for dinner, free to join us, Joanne?" Nara politely asks, caressing Joanne's shoulder. 

Glancing at Imme's side profile, Joanne quickly declines the invitation. "Oops, my shift starting soon, Ms. Nara, I can't stay but that is very kind of you," she bows again. "Maybe next time,"  

Nara nods even though she's a bit disappointed with the girl's answer. "Alright, next time then," 

Joanne bows for the last time, to show her respect for the elderly before turning to face Imme on her left side. "Please enjoy your dinner, Imme," 

Imme hums and nods calmly. 

"And happy birthday," Joanne sends her wishes while flashing a beautiful smile before squeezing Imme's hand and excuses herself right away. 

 

 

"Today's your birthday???" Nara catches the phrase after Joanne's silhouette disappears from her sight. 

Imme only gives a 'yes' look, stepping inside to the front yard through the door. She ignores Nara and goes straight to her room, leaving the woman with so many questions inside her own head. 

First thing she does once she's inside the room, she examines every title of the books from the tall and compacted wooden shelf. From the right to the left order, they all discuss philosophical, political, economic, and life motivations. Definitely pretty boring subjects which Imme is fixed to. 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu, an ancient book translated into Korean is one of the best collection of Nara's favourites, but Imme finds it complicated, full of tricks and just a waste of time reading piece. Next, another piece of 'art' from the woman's viewpoint is the holy-book, the Bible. Imme remembers Nara loves to repeat this sentence to her as she refers to the Bible, "Wisdom of thoughts, beliefs and faith. That book is a perfect guidance for us, only if we know how to read with heart". 

The young Imme flinches, because she thinks she's not bounded by any faith and religion at the moment. 

"Do we have another light, fun... and fiction-oriented story here?" she murmurs alone, still searching what's the best to be picked for her unstable state of emotion. The knock of the door stops her and Imme groans. 

 

"Your daddy," Nara appears with a home telephone, Harvery Norman brand on her hand. 

Imme unwillingly grabs the handset from Nara and waits until she leaves. 

"Happy birthday champ!" she hears her father's excited voice as she makes way to her bed. 

"This is crazy outhere in LA, Imme. The stock is trending up," Mr. Cho speaks while Imme lays her slim body on the comfy mattress, mind travelling nowhere above the dark clouds. 

"Imme?" 

She sighs and with a heavy heart replies, "Yes daddy, still here," 

 

"Not everyday a lucky girl turns eighteen," Mr. Cho starts, " Since I can't be there to celebrate this special day with you, won't you tell me, is there anything specific you want as a gift?" 

 

Clearly, last minute persuasion won't buy her weak spirit so Imme cuts it straight away. "Nope, I got everything I need here," 

There's a long silence before Mr. Cho's deep voice is heard again. "Really? Not even a book? Or... a cellphone? Your own personal cellphone? What do you think? Just name it, kiddo so that I can redeem myself for being absent," 

A sudden memory with Joanne flashes and their conversation this evening emerges from the blink of an eye. 

Imme curves an unconscious smile then. 

 

"Daddy," 

"Yes, baby Cho? Say it," 

"You know... can I get a... copy of Twillight novels? And the movies too?" 

".... what are those?" 

"Fictions, for my light reading, and movies for entertainment," Imme says, getting nervous out of blue. 

"Well... I'd never heard of this... Twillight, but yeah for sure, I can get it for you. How to find the movies by the way?" 

"Well... I don't know, you gotta figure it out because it's your responsibility right now, daddy, not me. You're the one asking me what I want as a gift," 

Mr. Cho's little laugh makes Imme proud of herself. She recognizes that laugh, which mean it is impossible. 

"If you can't find any of those, don't call me your daughter anymore. Now I'm hungry and I want to eat. Let go for now, daddy," and she hangs up. 

 

Imme goes straight to the open dining space and spots Nara is doing the dishes at the kitchen. She put back the handset to the charging port and stands awkwardly close to the wall. 

Nara is done cleansing and rinsing the pots so she dries her hand with a kitchen towel. Once she turns around and notices Imme at the back, she yelps in surprise. 

"God, how long have you been standing there, dear???" 

Imme scratches the upper part of her forehead then, walking hesitantly to the kitchen counter. "Not that long, Ms. Nara," 

"You must be hungry," Nara takes a guess and earns a little nod from the teenager. "Come here, have a seat, I'm gonna serve your favourite noodle," 

Imme does as she's been told. 

"I want to apologize," Imme's voice seems to stuck in but she proceeds, "I shouldn't be rude to you earlier," and tries not to make an eye contact with the woman. "And thanks for the food, Ms. Nara," 

 

Hearing that, Nara is touched and overwhelmed by Imme's honest apology. Indeed, her best friend a.k.a Mr. Cho is right about his only child. Imme is a softie and never a selfish person. 

"Let's forget about that, okay? Today's your birthday, we must celebrate it although there are only two of us," she smiles, and turns to the huge fridge. She brings out a small round of cheesecake and put it on the counter. "I made it last night just to kill some time and didn't get a clue that it will be your birthday today. So Imme, make a wish," Nara lights up a tiny candle at the center of the dessert and stands close next to the young girl. 

Imme shuts her eyes tight, clamping both her hands together. 

 

Twillight novels and movies, can't wait to see you guys soon. She prays in secret. 

As the flame is blowed gently, Imme looks at Nara with a calm smile. "Thank you for the hospitality, Ms. Nara," 

The woman smiles back, ruffling the back of Imme's head. 

"Most welcome, dear and let's enjoy the small festive, can we?" 

 

For the first time ever, Nara could see a light from Imme's eyes. 

 

The light of hope. 

 

And love.