Interlude: Part I

Her Present Days

 >> But U by NineOne 

 

She's on her tiptoe, slowly taking a few steps back from the room with two cribs, afraid to make any sound as she carefully closes the door then twists the knob. 

Making her way back to the master room, the long-haired woman releases a relief sigh once she reaches the king-size bed. 

 

The other person, who's reading something from the Ipad screen pauses and looks at her with a small smile. "All asleep?" 

 

Nodding, she stretches her back, "God, I wish I can get a day off to the spa. My back is killing me," 

 

Amber chuckles, as she puts aside her Ipad and approaches Krystal, who's sitting on the vanity table. She puts both her palms on her wife's shoulders and gently massaging them. 

"I'm sorry. I should be helpful today," she apologizes, and they staring at each other's reflection in the mirror. "Archie especially, I don't know why he keeps throwing tantrums lately," 

 

Krystal holds Amber's hands and grips them tightly afterward, "Don't worry, he just misses his mommy. I should be the one who needed to be useful today, Amber. Spending time with Dani and Archie should be my priority too, but it's always you who take care of them every day," 

 

"Not every day, Krys. Only these days, when you have to replace your mother's position for a while," Amber corrects, continue massaging Krystal's sore shoulders. 

 

Krystal's face gets sullen then. 

"Am I doing this right, Amber?" 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

She spins around and lifts up her chin to see Amber, "I'm trying to be a good daughter but, I think I hurt you a lot," 

 

Still confused, Amber scrunches her eyebrows. 

 

Krystal continues, 

"And why, you didn't tell me what happened at the nursery yesterday?"

 

It is a pause moment for Amber, as she lets her mind processes everything. She sighs and avoids Krystal's eyes by walking back to the bed, placing her on the soft mattress. 

"It's... not a big deal, Krys," that's all she can say to her wife. "I thought this should be a secret between me and Ms. Park," 

 

Krystal stares at Amber, "Not a secret if I'm not included," 

She shakes off her head, "Did we just promise not to keep a secret from each other? Especially when the kids involved?" 

 

"Yeah... I made a promise to you," Amber weakly replies. "Krys, just don't misunderstand me, okay? I don't want you to feel burden with this small matter,"  

 

"Small matter? Really?" Krystal raises her voice. "Amber, they're insulting us, and our kids!' 

 

As she releases another deep sigh, Amber covers her face, 

"I'm sorry, Krys... I just.. don't have any idea how to tell you," 

 

Guilty, Krystal rises from the seat and approaches Amber. She sits next to her and grabs the latter's right hand, intertwining their fingers together. "The kids might not understand anything for now, or even feel anything about what those people said to us. But we do, Amber. I can hold it if they talk bad about me, but I won't ever give a chance to them for intimidating you like that," 

 

Amber has her face up straight, gripping gently to Krystal's soft fingers. 

"Maybe one day, they'll regret what they've said, Krys," 

 

"Oh, they better be," Krystal hisses, caressing her long hair to the back. 

 

The wives stay in silence, enjoying the brief moment as each mind lingers to a different place. Amber reminisces what happened yesterday when she has been informed about some parents have been complaining about her presence as a queer woman there. Mostly, they're arguing on how to address Amber correctly. Either as Dani and Archie's father, or vice versa. 

While Krystal imagines something new inside her head. 

 

 

"What if we move to somewhere else? Somewhere that can guarantee our kids' future?" Krystal suggests, resting her head on Amber's left shoulder. 

 

The short hair woman shifts at her wife's face, "Moving out?" 

 

Krystal nods, smiling. 

 

"But here is great. Here is home," Amber mutters. 

 

The pretty woman hugs Amber's shoulder then, sniffs the latter's scent, and confesses, "You, Dani and Archie are my home, Amber. Wherever you are, no matter in what kind of place, I know I always belong to each of you," 

 

"Hmm, if that what home is to you, Krys," Amber says, cupping Krystal's chin. Their eyes are full of love when Amber gives a peck on her wife's left eyebrow. 

Amber takes a moment to stare deeply at Krystal's flawless face before she pulls in for a warm embrace. 

 

In her deep voice, Amber expresses what's inside both her heart and mind at that moment, 
"I'm so thankful to have you too, Krys. You're with me when I have no one and you want me when they don't," 

She releases the hug and stares into Krystal's sharp eyes, "You're the greatest love, mother, sister, and daughter to everyone. And I will work harder to have a better life with you, Dani, and Archie, okay?'

 

Krystal just hummed, enjoying the warmth from Amber's body. 

 

 

"Krys," 

 

"Yes, yeobo?" 

 

"Are you happy with me?" 

 

 

Krystal, curious about the sudden upsetting tone from Amber, unlocks their hug and gazes on the latter's face. 

"Amber, please define happiness?" 

 

The older woman stares at Krystal for a millisecond before she mutters softly, 

"Happiness is love," 

 

Krystal smiles, 

"And I love you. That makes me happy enough," 

 

Amber takes a deep breath, smiling as she looks into her wife's eyes. Hugging the latter's side tightly, she furthers, 

"Do you think I can be a good parent, Krys?" 

 

"You already are," says Krystal.

 

"Really?" 

 

They gaze at each other faces then. It is Amber who makes a move closing the gap between their lips before Krystal is lost in deep and starts to ruffle Amber's short hair. The deep kiss longs for a few minutes as they both end up on the mattress, and Amber lays top on Krystal.

She detaches herself for a while, appreciating her wife's angelic beauty. 

Then, 

Krystal embraces Amber's shoulders gently when the latter capture her lips again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

>> Pulang by Insomniacks

 

 

Minkyung, with her office attires, waves excitedly at the other figure she has seen at the front door of the massive building. Her eye-smile widen unconsciously when Amber lifts up her right hand for a high-five. 

Gladly, she claps her hand with Amber's in the air. 

"Unnie, you don't know how much I miss hanging out with you!" she claims, hugging Amber by her side. 

 

Amber laughs, 

"Minky, just be honest. You miss our kids more, isn't it?" 

 

Grinning, Minkyung nods as her eyes meet the little Dani, who's holding tight to Amber's hand. She caresses the chubby cheek first, before guiding them both through the automatic door. 

"Dani-ah, don't you miss your favorite auntie?" she asks the little girl and squatting down. 

 

Dani nods a few times making Minkyung squeal in happiness. She pulls Dani's tiny body to her and hugs it as tight as she can. "Omo! Why so cute Dani-ah!" 

Lifting Dani with both her arms, Minkyung looks at Amber, "I will look after her, unnie. Don't worry, just use all the time you have in there," 

 

"O-oh, but she's not feeling well today. She has a running nose, I'm afraid it will become trouble," replies Amber, using a handkerchief to wipe her daughter's nose. "Dani, is it okay if you stay with Auntie Minkyung? Bobba has work to do," 

 

Dani nods cutely and clings to Minkyung's shoulders. She waves at Amber before giving a flying kiss cutely.

 

"Good girl," Amber praises and smooches Dani's little hand gently. She taps Minkyung's side-head as they both nod at each other. 

 

 

Amber, scrunching to her left eyebrow before taking a direction to the cafe that Jessica has mentioned in her direct message last night. 

 

She glances at the digits from the slim screen of her phone and embraces herself for a moment. Amber struggles to calm the running thoughts inside her mind even though she arrives at her destination and notices the person she needed to see on that day has already waiting. 

 

"You must be Amber," a woman, with a mature look greets her first as she rises from the wooden chair. 

 

The short-haired woman bows politely before she sticks out her hand. 

They exchange a quick hand-shake as the woman invites Amber to take a seat in front of her. 

 

"And you must be... Victoria?" Amber asks as she sits. 

 

The woman named Victoria gives Amber a big smile, nodding. "Yes, but my real name is Song Qian. I'm from mainland China," 

 

Amber a little bit startled with the new information, "Wah, I thought you're Korean!" 

 

"Well, South Korean has been my second home for a decade, Amber-ssi," she replies, half-laughing, before grabbing a suitcase box from below the knee. "Been around for a while and get used to Koreans, I guess," she chuckles. "What about you?" 

 

Amber cracks her knuckles nervously before she tells, "I'm Taiwanese, well both my... parents are. But grew up in California and moved in here after high school graduation," 

"Enrolled SNU in my late twenties, and got myself a job as a tutor and also helping my uncle to take care of his strawberry farm, " 

 

Victoria nods with a smile, "Impressive," she puts a black file in on the empty table before muttering, "I've ordered something for us to eat. Do you mind?" 

 

Amber smiles back, "No, it's okay. I think I'm going to get myself a cup of coffee too," 

 

 

"Right," Victoria snorts. "I think we should get into the case directly, Amber-sshi? I'm worried I don't have much time to explain or clarify things if we don't get it started now," 

 

"Yup, I'm ready," Amber intertwines her palms together and clamps her lips tightly as she eyes the file on the table. 

 

"So..." Victoria flips to the first page and shows Amber a printed version of a graphic house plan. "Jessica has perfectly explained to me a lot about you and your partner, and your consequences nowadays. I have to admit I'm very disappointed, as a queer person too here. Hence, I came with a great plan and worthy choice as well," 

"Have a look," she passes the file to Amber then, furthering, "A convenient and lively housing area as what you've been searching for is not impossible, Amber-sshi. This, is the future of both of you, and the children too. I guarantee you save money and time since it is located not far away from the airport and your target area," 

 

Amber intrudes politely as she studies the graphic design, "Close in distance from the college I have been appointed on next year, you mean?" 

 

Victoria shifts her chin down firmly, "Absolutely. In this case, according to the infrastructurer, it will be ready less than a year, or even faster than that. But, I'm not fully convinced unless is it confirmed by papers, black and white," 

 

"Hmm, that's true. I wish I still have time to consider this too, Victoria-sshi," Amber states, reading through the details on the paper. She takes out her personal notebook and ink pen, jolting a few from the information in it. 

"And... I'm glad you're willing to help me out," 

 

"Ah, don't mention it, it's my job, Amber-sshi," Victoria says in return. She thanks the waitress who serves her order on their table before taking a sip on the hot earl tea. "You know, just out of curiosity, why Taiwan? I mean Los Angeles or Ontario is a great place to raise kids too," 

That left Amber with her rumbling thoughts. She closes the cap of the pen she's holding and looks at Victoria uncertainly. 

 

"I... can't be close to my family in LA. It's been 10 years, I wasn't able to keep in touch with them," Amber swallows the gulp inside . She holds her breath for a second, unintentionally showing off her discomfort look to the real estate agent. 

 

Victoria stares at Amber with an apologetic look. She thinks, there must be a lot that Amber has been through, alone and despite asking more about what happened, she sighs and nods in understanding. "Very well, Amber-sshi. I will try my best to use all the cables I have in Taiwan. Just please don't give up with whatever you have started, okay?" 

 

Amber let out a little chuckle. "You sound like we have known each other for years," 

 

"Oh-ho, probably in the past life, you are my little sister. Who knows?" Victoria jokes as she offers one of the bagels on her plate. Amber mouths "thank you" after she picks the original bagel with poppy seeds and takes a bite of it.

 

"So tell me, Amber-sshi. If, this procedure is finished sooner than we expected, what will be the first thing you would do?" Victoria questions, munching to her favorite evening snack gracefully. 

 

Amber let her mind processes the question in a moment. 

Bizarre, among all the important things she needs to consider and prepare for, Amber only gets a bright picture of a group of girls inside her mind. 

 

She shakes off her head, chuckling again as she tells the new friend her answer, 

 

"A goodbye party for my Life Literature Club members, Victoria-sshi. A final food-gathering before we part ways since everyone seems already in their own paths,"

 

Victoria gazes at Amber's face in a perplexed look when the latter smiles as she finishes her word, 

 

"The only members left now are me, and my wife, Krystal. And maybe, this is the time we have to go and choose our own path, like others," 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________

Hello kiddoz, it's me, back again :))

I'm not sure how to tackle this story, but I hope you guys can feel that I'm writing with my heart. 

Imme (immi, immey, or anything u guys think correct) is OC, but adapted from a real character. 

It's just a beginning, yet I have so many things to discuss. 

 

I hope this fanfic will be the reason for me to stay alive, and continue to write. 

 

Have a nice day, everyone!

 

As usual, I'm here, 

YOUR RYAI.