Present Day: Day 156

Her Present Days

What is the most important thing to do as you open your eyes early in the morning? 

It's common to say we, born to the middle- class to go back to sleep again, or lazily drag ourselves out from the comfy bed. Brushing the teeth with half-opened eyes and facing the vague yet foggy mirror. 

Get to work to supply ourselves. And our beloved ones. 

Money, good money to gain so that our job is a blessing. Do the best, to the fullest and always believe what we give we get back. 

 

That common middle-class people like Sunyoung, Nayeon and Jeongyeon are the best example to describe how average people start their day. 

"Just another day to work," Jeongyeon mumbles when she hears the ringing alarm from her cellphone. 

"Argh, should I get up this early just for work???" Nayeon shouts to no one but to the thin air when she's awake. 

While for Sunyoung, she gets up earlier than them, for a simple breakfast and never complains about why she should be going to work because that's the only thing she's able to do to continue living. 

 

The trio meets at the entrance of the building before 5 o'clock as how they promised last night. Nayeon is still in her sleep-deprived mode, Jeongyeon has AirPods attached to her ears- listening to the energetic morning music while Sunyoung, the only one who keeps checking her Kakaotalk Chat room from the moment she arrives at the spot they all standing. 

"I hope she's already on her way," Sunyoung mumbles, worried. 

Jeongyeon notices Sunyoung is looking at her and her lips are moving, so she immediately pulls off the Airpods. "What do you say?" 

Sunyoung repeats, 

"If she can't be here soon, we're doomed," 

"Aah... Do you mean Imme?" 

Sunyoung nods. 

"Well, she's always on time, unnie. Don't worry. We promised to be here before five-thirty, and we got here earlier than we should be," 

"What if she's still asleep?" 

"That's impossible," Nayeon meddles in. She corrects them, "She's here already guys," pointing to the tall figure who just crosses the opposite side of the building. 

 

"Whoa..." Jeongyeon and Sunyoung can't help but be stunned when they watch Imme is walking to them, hands filled. 

 

"Hi good morning," Imme greets, smiling brightly. She raises the plastic bags to the air, "I've got you guys something to eat before leaving," 

Nayeon, from sleepy, quickly turns to her hungry mode. "That's very sweet of you!" she claims when Imme passes a cup of hot latte and a box of ham sandwiches to her. 

"Thank you, Imme," Sunyoung smiles before she takes hers too. "Anyway... what time did you get here?" 

Imme hands the same menu to Jeongyeon and replies, 

"From last night? I slept good in the office last night," 

Jeongyeon glares at her then, "Office? You didn't get home after meeting yesterday???" 

Imme just shakes off her head. 

 

"Incredible work-maniac," Jeongyeon comments before sipping the warm drink. 

Sunyoung, listening to Imme's statement, releases a small sigh and caress the younger's back. "You're a human, Imme. A human needs a real rest. I know it's not easy, but you have to prioritize your mental health too," 

 

Imme reacts with a little smile and nods.  "I will try that later," 

 

"Yah, don't try but do it instead," Nayeon says. "I hate it when we have to hustle like some crazy monkey slavers, but rest comes first, you know? I got a quality 5 hours of sleep but is still sleepy as hell. How can you enjoy your sleep being inside of this working hell place? I'm sorry unnie, I'm stating facts, our office is just too crowded, with papers, and those mountains of clothes from nowhere thrift shop," she says and looks at the oldest woman. 

 

"Isn't this is too early to ruin the morning, Ms Im Nayeon?" Sunyoung replies. "Work with your heart and stop complaining. Look at Imme, she's a rookie but she never complains to me about work, yet," 

Jeongyeon and Imme laugh when Nayeon rolls her eyes in annoyance. 

 

"Okay-okay! I'll be nice from today!" Nayeon blurts out with her full mouth. "I was crying my heart out to you, to de-stress!" 

 

"Aish-aish, emotional woman, easy there. Let's finish our food so we can leave soon!" Jeongyeon reminds and laughs at Nayeon's sulky face. 

 

 

 

Just like their deal, Imme's car leaves the building before five-thirty in the morning, heading straight to the Busan, the latest target location for the new branch of Cho Industries. 

 

 

 

***

>> On the Ground by BlackPink Rose

 

2 p.m (Busan- Cho Industries New Opening)

Imme, who is stylishly equipped with a black and white pantsuit rushes back and forth, passing every guest a piece of a pamphlet which the design, she and the diligent Jeongyeon had worked out together since last month. All information and details about Cho Industries are clear as to how they're printed on the paper. The young heiress acknowledges it's already passed a perfect hour for a great lunch, but noticing her team members are still busy pleasing the crowds, she continues her task passing the thin paper as much as she could. 

"Thank you," one of the guests says when he receives the colourful pamphlet from Imme. He bows a little and then incidentally locks eyes with her. "You're a man... or a woman?" 

She gets shy and blushes before correcting him on the spot, "A girl," 

"Really?" his eyes get big. He stares at her from head to toes then. "You must be kidding me, all women I've known never look like this!" 

Imme expresses her shy smile. "Yeah, probably," 

The guy, who is half-bald, height not even closer to Imme's shoulder suddenly getting interested in her. 


"Tell me, do you have any attention to compete with men?" 

Awkward, Imme denies his statement immediately, "Oh, no. Never have a thought like that, sir," 

"Are you interested in men or women? Do you dress like this just for fun? That haircut, makes you look like some immature rookie male idol on tv," 

"Errr," Imme starts to stutter. "I'm not sure," she laughs a little, not knowing what to say. 

"You're not sure of yourself?" 

Imme reacts with a nod. 

 

He chuckles out loud like he's so proud of things he has spoken so courageously to the red face Imme. 

"I know you're still young, there's more to learn, right? You can change, or not. But who cares?" 

 

Imme forces herself to smile again, "Yes, nobody really cares, sir," 

He taps Imme's right arm and excuses himself then. "Good talk, kid. See you again next time," 

 

"Yes, have a nice day sir," she bows politely until the shadow of that man disappears from her hazel eyes. 

 

She takes a deep breath, looking straight to the ground- wishing from the solid element just a little bit of patience and strength to carry on. 

She hasn't slept since yesterday but she has lied to her colleagues this morning. 

It was four hours straight drive from Seoul to Busan. Nayeon and Jeongyeon got their chance for a nap in the back seat while she had her eyes on the road, for every second. Only Sunyoung, who got into the front passenger seat was so eager not to sleep and make sure Imme had someone to talk to throughout the journey. 

Though she hates the bitter taste of coffee, Imme pushes herself to have almost 4 cups of caramel latte from the moment they arrived until an hour earlier. 

Her mind is getting blank and empty as each minute passed but Imme doesn't want to give in, she blocks her cells from collapsing by distracting her drowsiness with another cup of local black coffee. 

 

From a distance, she recognizes the voices, and can't help but chuckle. Taking the last sip from the paper cup, Imme eyes her colleagues, named Jeongyeon and Nayeon, leaning her back to the concrete wall. 

 

"Did you hear it, unnie? I reckon he'd even a real, real bastard to his employees!" 

"O-oh! I've heard him! He said this is nothing, not even a great start for a big company!" 

"And his tiny little thrift shop, a trainwreck could do it better!"

"Aish really! If I'd be you, I'll slap him right across his face!" 

"Right?! Almost there, unnie, almost there!" 

The two paused when they see Imme's tall figure, who has a little grin on her face, waving her huge fingers at them. 

 

"Imme, actually we should be done with this an hour ago, why we're still here though?" Jeongyeon asks, holding her breath. 

Nayeon adds in, "I agree with Jeongyeon here, Ms Cho. Can't we get off? I'm literally starving!" 

Imme smacks her lips, guilty. 

"I know... I was just thinking to ask you guys for lunch but, " Imme exhales. "We all are so damn busy with many sensitive guests today," 

"You experienced the same thing? A short guy with filthy mouth???" Nayeon looks at the tall and tired Imme. "He blurted out words as if they came from a dirty drain! For real, his insult is the entire insult to our company too, especially to our team!" Jeongyeon mumbles, unsatisfied. 

"Anyway, where is Sunyoung unnie?" 

 

Imme raises her shoulders. 

"I bet she's still dealing with some other guy, hopefully not the annoying one we've got earlier," 

Nayeon pouts her thick lips at Imme, "I don't have any energy left, Ms Cho. Please, I'm begging, I need some carbs, fats and protein right now..." 

"She's right, Ms Cho. We all only had a simple breakfast, that ham sandwiches you bought this morning. It was like almost 7 hours ago," 

"So... what you guys want to have? We can drop ourselves at some restaurant after this," Imme questions, her right hand shoved inside her slack pants.

Immediately, both Jeongyeon and Nayeon's expressions glitter. They glance at each other for a millisecond before Nayeon grabs Imme's arm. "Busan is famous for so many wonderful meals, Ms Cho. Wheat noodle with meat broth, the top killer here," 

"Yes unnie! That's right, I've heard about it!" 

"Well... let's have some, can we?" Imme flashes her charming smile. 

"But Sunyoung unnie..." Jeongyeon murmurs. 

"That's fine, I'll find her. You guys wait in the car first," she passes the automatic car key to Jeongyeon then. 

She cooly excuses herself and walks through the crowd, leaving the two latter nothing but mesmerization and high respect. 

 

"Is she an angel or something?" 

"Nope, she's not an angel," 

Jeongyeon stares at Nayeon, frowning. 

"She's a God, Jeongyeon. She listens, hears and acknowledges everything so perfectly," 

Jeongyeon nods firmly although she catches Nayeon's jokes. 

"Agree to agree," 

 

 

>> nostalgia by JUNNY & JAY B 

 

The sounds of heavy and shiny steel chopsticks echo every corner in the seafood restaurant. Everyone, at the table, have their own warm bowl of rice, wheat noodle and ripe kimchi as side dishes. Jeongyeon, the big eater of the group speaks in full, "My dad used to be a famous chef when I was still a high schooler. He quit and applied to be a lecturer, and now a retiree," 

"He taught people culinary?" Sunyoung asks after sipping the hot soup. 

"Mmm, yes he did. He said to me, if we work with heart, even there are so many bulls coming, at least we know what we can try and figure it out by ourselves," 

"That's why you declined the medic school?" Sunyoung asks again. 

Jeongyeon tilts down her chin and grips two slices of kimchi with her chopsticks, inserting them into . "But I kinda regret it, for not going," 

"Why? Is it because of the pressure working here?" Nayeon intrudes. 

"To be honest, I love working here, only when my dad got terribly sick last year and has been warded for a month, I had this typical thought, if I go to the medic school and study harder, I probably can treat and reassure many people that they health is guaranteed. You know, life-saving things," 

"You wanna be a hero?" Sunyoung guesses. 

"Everyone, working at the hospital is a hero, Sunyoung unnie," Jeongyeon asserts her words carefully. 

 

Imme, who's eating and listening to the heated conversation secretly, out of the blue speaks out her mind, "We all heroes. Sometimes we can't see that, but in my eyes, three of you worked so hard today, so you all are real heroes to me. If I can brag about things to my father, I will talk about Sunyoung, Nayeon and Jeongyeon to him, without any hesitation, even a bit," 

Nayeon looks at Imme, "Ohh, sweet Imme is back at it again!" 

"Yes, it's true," Imme munches the rice as proper as she can, without letting be widely open. "He's busy, but on behalf of him, I want to say you guys did so great today," 

Sunyoung stops eating. "I've spoken to our president only a couple of times. Can I say you got this sweet side of you from him?" 

Imme laughs, "Yeah... probably, genetics," 

"Ms Cho," Jeongyeon calls Imme in her soothing voice. "First time I saw you, I thought you're scary because other employees kept talking about your handsome face, your cold expression and your hesitance to smile. What now, you are nothing like what they've been talking about," 

"So, you believed them in the first place, right?" Imme asks.

"Used to, now, not anymore," Jeongyeon replies, clanking her steel cup with Imme's. "You're the best rich kid I'd ever known!" 

Jeongyeon's compliment makes the tables laugh in sync. 

"Your father must be proud of you, Imme. You're so kind and gentle," Sunyoung's turn to praise her. "Young, handsome, tall... and what else, girls???" 

"Rich, rich, you forgot that!" Nayeon adds and laughs. "Kidding, Ms Cho, please don't behead me," 

"If rich is another important quality to pass, I think that's my privilege," Imme pretends, putting on her arrogant face. "Don't worry, Nayeon. We cut clothes and salaries in Cho Industries, but never someone's head, for real," 

Jeongyeon cracks, "Wah! Hahahaha did you say cut salaries? That's true, lol," 

"Yeah, I feel sorry to some of our temporary interns, what they earned for their hard work, is nothing much to compare with the sacrifice they made," Imme states in her serious tone. "I wish we can hire more interns, to explore and learn about this industry. You know, original apprentice?" 

Sunyoung claps, "Another quality, wise and smart brain!" 

Imme drinks the cold iced water and raises her cup at Sunyoung. "Thank you," and she chuckles. 

"What you can't do, Ms Cho? You seem to excel in everything!" Jeongyeon claims, making both Sunyoung and Nayeon nod their heads in agreement as well. 

 

Imme slowly put down her cup on the wooden table, as if something sharp strikes straight into her heart. 

Things she can't do? 

To take into account, there are so many things limited for her. 

Yes, she has almost everything in this materialistic world- money, high status, good look, healthy and slim body. She has a mountain amount of properties and assets, making her into the "Young and Rich" list among all other noble families in South Korea. 

That's all what people could see from her, literally. What they couldn't see, there's still a lot to cover. 

Imme chuckles mentally, thinking why people bother so much about money and reputation when these qualities are always temporary. 

 

"Ms Cho, our one and only God Imme, if you don't mind, I volunteer to drive back to Seoul," Jeongyeon asks in her polite tone. 

Imme shakes her head, "No need," 

Nayeon's eyes get widen, "O-oh? Why? Why no need??? You drove straight for hours and now you still have the gut to do the same exact thing again???" 

"Oh, no-no, that's not what I mean Nayeon," Imme cuts her off instantly. "Actually, we still have an important meeting tomorrow morning, right? With the new employees here?"

Sunyoung sighs, "Yeah, indeed. Now I'm getting another headache just to think about it," 

"That's why I think we should stay a night in our guesthouse here. It's not far from the new branch, around 25-35 minutes drive and I understand we all drained," 

"You mean... you have a guesthouse here???" Jeongyeon asks in shock. 

"Yeah, it's been a while in Busan, my last visit was when I'm still a kid, I remember. My late grandpa loved spending his leisure time in the house, so before he passed away, he gave it to my dad but dad isn't so fond of this area so he seldomly visits. Only me and my little cousin, Miyeon, when we're in elementary, we spent our childhood there every summer break," 

"Is it in a building or...?" 

'A penthouse, right in front of the beach, you can see the city view from there. It's very nice, you won't regret it," Imme says and smiles. 

 

"Daebakkkk," Jeongyeon claims, lifting her thumb at both Sunyoung and Nayeon. "You're really our God Imme!" 

 

Hence, after filling their stomach, Imme brings Sunyoung, Jeongyeon and Nayeon straight to the guesthouse she has mentioned earlier. Nayeon and Jeongyeon can't hide their excitement, they keep on singing inside the car, repeating the phrase "our God Imme, thank you" nonstop. The chaotic due are actually exhausted as hell, but they don't want to ruin the atmosphere. Being crazy and loud is their only option. 

The craziness reaches the top just at the moment Imme makes a right turn at the small roundabout. 

"Am I hallucinating right now, unnie??? Is that... is that really a beach???" Jeongyeon screams. 

"Oh yes, it is," Sunyoung laughs. "I'm sorry to burden you, Imme. My sisters here have been working 6 months straight without any leave, so let's be easy on them, okay?" 

Imme also laugh, "I see, I hope you guys don't mind staying here instead of a hotel because I forgot to make a booking earlier," 

"Yah! Of course we don't mind at all, Imme!" Nayeon shouts from the back seat. "That's why you're a God, to us. Nobody ever being so nice and kind like this, you know?" 

Imme nods, smiling in understanding before glancing at the reversing camera on the dashboard. She stops the car and walks out the main gate before returning to the driver seat and continuing her drive. 

 

"Welcome to our guesthouse, my dear friends," Imme says in her elite manner once the sight of the penthouse is seen from inside the car. She slows down the speed, "There are two houses, ours will be in the middle since the other one is reserved for my grandpa's old gallery. I bet you guys wanna cool down, freshen up or change your day clothes because we have a closet for guests too," she puts her feet out then after switching off the engine. 

"How is it, girls? Not bad right?" Imme asks referring to the young ladies. 

Jeongyeon studies the majestic design of the guesthouse, while Nayeon and Sunyoung have their jaws dropped.