Present Day: Day 2

Her Present Days

>> Undertow by Cathedral Bells

 

Have you ever think, there's always 'something' behind those fates and destinies in our life? It might be something or someone, so powerful against everything else that existed. 

For every religion, there's a God. A Creator who must be worshipped by His devotees. 

A Mightly Lord who has written every fate and destiny in the book of life. 

The book of life, which contains every episode from someone's point of view. A series of delightful moments, unfortunate events, and coincidences. 

Based on the Creator's perspective, He sees all, never been anything left out from Him. He listens to all, again never misses anything that happened. 

Thus, He's been watching from above, one of the tiniest living creatures, whom He has built a bit different from others. He watched, how an innocent soul entered her body and the progress of how she became a person- for which everyone around her always looking forward to. 

He was there, the day when she can't even understand why her mother departed from this world. 

He was just there, watching how she grieved and mourned in silence when she reached the news of her nanny passing. 

 

And He's adequately there, watching and listening to her prayers- the day her first love ended her own life. 

 

Every time her mourning voice reaches Him, He said, 

"I always have a better plan for you," 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

10.30 am- Cho Empire Building

 

"How old are you, Ms. Cho?" 

 

"26, this year," 

 

"And what is your life goal, this year?" 

 

Imme pauses to think. She awkwardly smiles at the photographer man before shifting back her attention to the pretty journalist. 

"My life coach already made a long list for that, Ms. Yu. I prefer not to disclose it here," 

 

"Alright then, we respect that, Ms. Cho," she replies, smiling politely at Imme as she jolts down on her Ipad screen. To break the ice again, she looks at the young woman attentively and asks, "Not to meddle with your personal life, but for your information, you gained quite a lot of followers on social media. Last time I checked, you just passed 100k  followers on Instagram. Do you think this is part of the plan to promote your family business?" 

 

"Aaa that one," Imme chuckles. "No, my personal account has nothing to do with this fashion world, Ms. Yu. I'm just, trying to be up to date, since I love photography too so... yeah, just for fun. It's surprising to know many people is interested in that, to be frank with you," 

 

"Oh... so you're the admin yourself for that account???" 

 

Imme nods, eyes half-closed. "Yep, if you want to ask me something about this fashion thing, I will try to be there to help you," 

 

Ms. Yu the journalist squeaks in excitement then. She exchanges a meaningful look with her fellow college before shifting back her attention at Imme. 
"Of course, I would love to DM you, Ms. Cho," 

 

Imme shyly replies, 

"Right, just DM me anytime, I'm fine with it," 

 

They both exchange a bright smile to each other before Ms. Yu notices there's no time left for the brief interview and she immediately apologizes, 

"I'm sad to say that will be all for today, Ms. Cho. We're very happy you're willing to be interviewed by a rookie like me. I deeply apologize if there's anything I said or asked that hurt you and I'm willing to hear your feedback once the article is released. Thank you very much, Ms. Cho," she rises from the seat, followed by the man beside her. 

Imme also copies her act and bows back to them politely. 

"I hope you enjoy this session too, Ms. Yu. Please write only pleasant things about us, will you? If that's not a problem," Imme requests, in her gentlest voice. 

 

They shake hands before the journalist and her photographer friend head out back to the direction of their company van outside. 

 

Again, Imme is accompanied by the chilly wind inside the meeting room. 

 

It is her first day as an intern in the building. Since her father has been successfully convinced by her private advisor to let her start from nothing, Imme is very glad. Glad that she has less responsibility to carry. 

Not that she hates being a part of the legacy, but her level of confidence to lead is not on top. There are still many areas she needs to cover, not merely being a leader and decides everything automatically.  Even reading all those coursebooks about leadership and business won't make her a great leader in one day. 

Imme wants to stand on her own because she has faith in time as her platform to grow. 

 

 

Discussing her position in that workplace, Imme directs herself to the pantry room, willing to meet someone randomly there. 

Her wish is granted as she bumps into a group of classy women in their office outfits, chatting happily with each other. 

Their bright faces disappear on the spot as Imme's figure is seen. 

 

She bows happily to the group, 

"Hello, it's a relief finally I can greet my seniors personally like this," she claims, smiling widely. "Can we break the ice then?" 

 

The shortest among them bows first and introduces herself. 
"I'm Park Sun Young, I'm the group leader, Ms. Cho," 

 

Imme waves her hand, "Aish no, just Imme, please," 
"Nice to meet you, Director Park. Hope you go easy on me as a newbie in this department," she asks, still in a friendly tone. 

Sun Young nods with a smile then. 

"My name is Yoo Jeongyeon, Ms. Cho. I joined this group a couple of months ago. Still new too," the tallest introduces herself and gives her a most polite bow. 

 

"My name is Im Nayeon. I have 2 years of experience in this department, Ms. Imme. So glad to see you today," Nayeon who is famous for her cute bunny teeth becomes the last one for the brief ice-breaking session. 

 

"We're looking forward to working with you, Ms. Imme," then the three of them bow together, showing their respect to Imme as someone they know who will lead them in the future. Making the latter scratch the back of her head awkwardly afterward. 

"Nah... guys, don't need to be so polite like this. I'm not used to it yet," Imme tells, hesitating. She stares at them one by one, "Director Park, Jeongyeon-sshi and Nayeon-sshi. Okay, I remember all of you already," Imme grins, trying to impress her new colleagues that she's outgoing and a friendly person, as Mrs. Jang has reminded her yesterday. 

 

Nayeon claps happily to make Imme feels at ease. "Yeah, you have a good memory, Imme!" 
"We're actually same-aged friends, so I want to say sorry first if I'm being too excited or loud sometimes," 

 

Jeongyeon intrudes then, "Yes, Imme-sshi. This bunny look woman is super loud, not sometimes, but all the time. A real human megaphone to tell you," 

 

They all laugh in sync as Nayeon rolls her eyes annoyingly at Jeongyeon. 

 

"No worry, Jeongyeon-sshi. My cousin is super loud too, I'm used to it," Imme chuckles. "So, Director Park, I hope I can learn a lot from you, well from all of you I can say, not just Director Park here, " she sighs a nervous laugh, trying not to look foolish in front of her co-workers. "Ermm, I'm sure Mrs. Jang had briefed about me to all of you, am I right? Just please, act normal and work hard as usual. I'm here not to break things apart, but to learn. I'm sorry I'm not as good as my father when it comes to talking so... yeah, super sorry," 

 

Sun Young gives Imme a warm smile as she sticks out her right hand, "Let's be friends first, Imme. So that, we all can talk comfortably to each other starting today," 

 

Imme pulls out her hand from the pocket, and that's when Sun Young can feel her freezing hand. She gasps and lifts her eyebrow at Imme, "My God, are you okay, Imme? Your hand is terribly cold!" 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon then join Sun Young feeling the coldness of Imme's hand and awed in surprise too. 

Sun Young brings her mug closer to Imme, letting the warmth surrounds her massive palm. "Anyway, are you nervous?" 

 

Imme just nods, trying to put a calm smile on her face. She mutters 'thank you' as she holds tight to Sun Young's mug. 

Jeongyeon studies Imme closely and taps onto her left shoulder lightly. 
"It's really okay, you know? You can rely on us, Imme-sshi. Keep it cool because stress or pressure never work at all. This advice is useful here," 

 

Then,

It's Nayeon's turn to soothe Imme, "Yes we heard a lot about you from Mrs. Jang but I think I will just let things flow naturally. Don't be afraid to make mistakes because we all grow from mistakes, Imme-sshi," 

 

Astonished by how kind the group is to her, Imme's lips shut tightly. She's out of words to say. 

She wants to express how thankful she is at that moment, but she feels like she has a padlock attached to her tongue. 

 

"Pretty sure, I still have the brochures about our department in my drawer. Would you like to have a look at it, Imme-sshi?" Sun Young's voice breaks Imme from zoning out. Though clueless, Imme nods her head repeatedly. 

 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon stare at each other meaningfully as they see Imme follows Sun Young out from the pantry room. 

 

 

 

Once both shadows of Imme and Sun Young disappear, Nayeon pinches Jeongyeon's right arm, 

"She's not a scary woman though!" 

Agreed, Jeongyeon clicks her tongue at the older woman. 

 

"Mrs. Jang just being excessive, as usual," she states, shrugging her shoulders. "Imme is just so adorable by the way. Look at how she approached us just now. Down to earth, not like her majestic bossy father," 

 

"Slow down your voice, Yoo Jeongyeon, Who knows someone might be spying on us? We need to pay attention more to making money, right? So, good luck with that mouth of yours," Nayeon gives a bit of advice as she stirs the hot coffee in the glass mug. "I bet what's in that mind of hers actually? Don't you feel curious about it, Jeong?" 

 

Munching to the oat biscuit, Jeongyeon shrugs again. 

"Don't ask me, please? I don't even understand my brain. So obviously it's groundless for that question, unnie," 

 

Nayeon hums, nodding to Jeongyeon's words. 

"But even, a tiny teensy bit, don't you feel curious about how she lives her private life? Despite being a rich kid like that?" 

 

Still munching, Jeonghyeon shakes off her head in denial. 

 

"Well, I'm super curious how chaebol like her enjoy her youth. Extremely attractive, with tons of money and is the only heiress to this throne. I bet her future is as bright as the sun!" 

 

Jeongyeon purses her pinky lips, "Who are you? An exorcist? A tarot card reader? How, you're so confident about that chaebol's future, when you yourself don't know what happens to your future? Want to know what I can see from you?" 

 

"Yeah-yeah, try me!" Nayeon shows her excitement as she realizes Jeongyeon is finally interested in the topic. 

 

"I think you're going to be a successful carrot farm owner," Jeongyeon predicts, laughing out loud. 

Thus, Nayeon put a long pouty face, before slapping Jeongyeon's arm with her big hand. The younger one grunts in pain but is still laughing at her senior being sulky. 

 

Hence,

Either Jeongyeon or Nayeon has the ability to foresee the future coming ahead. 

But one thing they're very sure of, Imme- one of the wealthiest heiresses in that industry always gets things in her way. 

 

When the fact is, she'd never had. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

xxx

>> Ethereal Shadow by Cathedral Bells

 

 

8.30 pm. Itaewon-Dong

 

 

Miyeon, the birthday girl hops happily once she notices Imme's tall figure coming through from the crowd. Running with her open arms, Miyeon throws herself and screams, "Yes you made it Imme unnie!" 

 

Imme scrunches her face as she catches the younger's body on her. "Haishh, so heavy!" But she smiles when they unlock the quick hug. 

"My daddy is not very well today, so he sent you something special," tells Imme, pinching Miyeon's right cheek playfully. 

 

"What, what is it???" Miyeon puts her hands on the waist, looking at Imme with a suspicious look. "Shin Mi, please tell me it's not another office clothes!" 

Smirking, Imme whispers, 

"It's a secret until everyone's gone from this house," 

 

Miyeon's eyes get smaller as she slaps Imme's shoulder and points at her face, "Better be something useful this time!" 

 

Imme flinches, rolling her eyes then. "Fussy," 

Roaming around the living room, she asks, "I thought it's just a small party. What's with Drama Club & Society? You invite them too?" 

Nodding, Miyeon reaches for Imme's hand and pulls it along as she leads them to walk through the crowds. 

 

"It's my own way of socializing. I want no criticism so let's get you something to eat first," she stops when they both arrive at the wide dining table, located in the corner of the spacious living room. 

 

Imme's jaw drops as she sees her favorite menu is there served beautifully on the white cloth. "For serious?! Steak bolognese??? Who made this? You?" She starts to be impatient and quickly grabs a big size of the plate, ignoring Miyeon who's standing still, looking at her older cousin like a proud mom. 

 

"No... not me," Miyeon says, chuckling. 

Imme fills the plate with plain spaghetti first, before pouring the bolognese sauce carefully. Later, she uses the stainless tong to get a hold of thin beef steak and decorates it on top of her plate. 

"Let me guess, catering?" 

 

Miyeon crosses her arms and chuckles again. She denies, "Nope. All the menu today is homemade," 

 

Mouth full, Imme lifts her eyebrows, "Yah, can you leave? I want to enjoy this alone," 

Miyeon glares.

"Waa, I didn't expect you to say that to me. Especially on my birthday,"
"Now I wish the person who cooked this put poison in it," 

 

"I'd rather die then," Imme mutters, enjoying her plate. 

 

The childish cousins involve in a staring battle before a long-haired girl, wearing a floral white dress walks in, peeking between them. 

"What's the fuss? Fighting again you two?" Shuhua chuckles, reaching for the paper cup on the table. She fills it with plain water from the small container, before glancing at Miyeon and Imme simultaneously. 

 

Imme finishes her munching, then awkwardly stares down to the ground once her eyes meet Shuhua's. 

"I apologize but we're frenemies, that's why," she briefly says, swallowing the gulp inside . "I wonder how you survive sharing the room with her though, Shuhua-sshi? She's loud and... fussy," 

 

"Yaish, do you come to start a war with me? Finish your food and say thank you to Shuhua since because of her, you can enjoy your favorite menu on my birthday!" Miyeon raises her voice and gripping her wrist hard while glaring at Imme. 

 

Shuhua holds herself from blurting out as she senses Miyeon's sulky mode is starting. 

 

"How could you talk to me like that, Miyeon-nie? I'm your older sister," Imme flinches, making another twirl on her spaghetti. She snorts before opening wide, "And Shuhua-ssi, thank you. This is extremely delicious,"

 

Shuhua nods, eyeing Imme secretly as the older eats the meal she prepared from the morning. 

 

"Alright- alright, my bad. Your gift is in my trunk. Go check it out," she sighs, taking out her car key and shows it to her younger cousin. "Save that long face just for today, please? I'm here to celebrate," 

Grabbing the key harshly from Imme's palm, Miyeon hisses. "Only because I love you, doesn't make you're forgiven today!" 

 

Imme waves at Miyeon weakly, "Yeah-yeah, got it. Now go," 

Another feet stomping, finally Miyeon leaves the spot, directing herself to the parking lot outside her parents' apartment. 

 

When Imme realizes, it is only Shuhua and her left alone, she clears , despite having the bolognese sauce inside. "I'm sorry for that. She's my little sister, I can't help it. I'm happy when she sulks," 

 

Shuhua looks at Imme momentarily, before sighing a smile as she recalls her roommate's childish side. "Miyeon unnie is... exceptional for me. I know, being the only child and the youngest in the family, she's a bit spoiled. So... no worry, my younger sister is also a bit fussy like her," 

 

"Wah, now you have two fussy people to deal with. I'm really sorry for that," Imme playfully apologizes. 

They laugh together afterward.

 

 

Imme, who's squatting on the floor, rises from her position and puts her clean plate on the same table. 

"I haven't eaten this meal for like... months? I was going to cry at first because I really thought Miyeon cooked it for me. But, meh," Imme pauses, checking the younger's pretty face. She further in her calm tone, 

"Thank you, Shuhua-sshi. I enjoyed it very much," 

 

The Taiwanese girl has her eyes on somewhere else when she feels Imme is staring directly at her. Clueless to say a word, she nods. But then, smiles at the older girl, "It was her idea, not mine. She said you're going through a hard time now, with a strict diet and kinds of stuff. I hope you don't... be too hard on yourself, Imme unnie," 

 

Imme hums, releasing a small sigh of relief. 

Her mind immediately travels back to all the obligations which she needs always to reconsider although she doesn't have any heart to do it at all. If Shuhua's advice refers to her responsibility, Imme thinks, that hurts the most at that moment. Even, clearly, it's not entirely Shuhua's fault for bringing it back to her memory. 

She smiles bitterly, "It's like I have another choice, Shuhua-sshi...You know I don't," 

 

Shuhua's eyebrows furrowed as she watches Imme's expression gradually turn gloomy. Noticing their close distance, she feels the urge to ask more but half of her mind and heart disapproved. 

 

"Shuhua-sshi," Imme calls in her deep voice. 

 

"O-oh?" Shuhua automatically reacts. 

 

Their eyes locked a few seconds before Imme mutters, "Do you still find my Imago Mundi map is interesting?" 

 

"Imago... Mundi?" Shuhua frowns. Imme stays in silence for a while until, the younger is able to recall it.

 

"Aah! Yes, I do," she laughs a little. "Your hobby collecting old stuff, paved our way to Life Literature Club. Of course, I remember everything very clearly now, Imme unnie. Amber and Krystal, I ship them to death," 

 

Imme nods, smiling, "Yeah, they're adorable. And both the children too," 

 

"I kinda miss those two midgets. How are they doing, by the way?" Shuhua shares, breathing in and out. 

 

"I'm not sure. But they're great parents, definitely those kids are having a great time," Imme mutters, visualizing Amber and Krystal's lovely little family. 

 

They sink into a brief silence then. 

 

"I'm actually... quite jealous," suddenly Imme says. 

 

Shuhua turns her head at Imme, "Just why in the world?" she chuckles. "They're perfect for each other. Don't argue it with me," 

 

Imme has her eyes straight ahead, wishing to see through the crowd. There's a sadness in her voice, "I admire Amber for her courage to live and love, and Krystal, for her ability to stand out against anything that comes between them," 

Shuhua's mind begins to process Imme's words. 

 

"It's like a movie or drama, right? When they finally have a happy ending?" Imme shifts her face to the side, capturing the younger's blank expression. 

 

"And... you envy their happiness?" Shuhua asks. "Like that?" 

 

Imme nods and closes her eyes softly then. 

 

Another moment of brief silence rises makes Imme let out a small chuckle to break the sudden chilly atmosphere. She glances at Shuhua for a second and furthers, "What makes her so long to get the present by the way?" 

 

Confused, Shuhua raises her eyebrows, "O-oh?" 

 

 Imme pockets her hand and smiles, 

"I hope Miyeon is happy with that gift, Shuhua-ssi. She loves music so much. Since we're kids, she used to sing for me, especially when we're tired of playing around. Tell her, when I'm gone, that secretly I'm very proud of her," 

 

Shuhua senses a bit strange from the request so she shoots her unsatisfied look at Imme. 

"That's not necessary to say now, unnie. Especially at her birthday party, you gonna make her upset, you know?" 

 

Realizing she's being outrageous in speech, Imme smacks her own head mentally. 

"Yeah, sorry for that. I got too emotional sometimes, Shuhua-ssi," 

 

Giving Imme a small smile in return, Shuhua pulls her long hair to the back gracefully, causing the tall figure's heart to skip a beat for a moment from the quick view. 

 

She is close to muttering with her own mouth, "You're so beautiful," but decides to hold her tongue from producing the words. Afraid it will creep out the younger girl. 

So she hums in peace instead. 

 

 

 

Once Miyeon re-appears to the same spot, with a bright face on, Imme flashes a kiddy smile. 

Before she can say anything, Miyeon throws herself again on Imme's tall body, hugging her tight. 

 

"Thank you Cho Shin Mi and Uncle!!!!!" 

 

 

Shuhua, watching them only laughs in instant. 

 

 

 

 

xx

>> Cuba by Faizhal Tahir

 

 

12.05 am- Cho Mansion 

 

Imme flops her body on the mattress as she sighs out loud, to the cool air inside of her spacious room. She's too drained, having to memorize a few things about her new career field and plus, she has used all her energy at Miyeon's birthday party. From talking to strangers to adjusting herself with an extra loud voice of the crowd and music, Imme reckons she might get up tomorrow to sore ear and head. 

Out of blue, an image of Shuhua's laugh and smile flash in front of her eye. 

She has startled herself with that continuous memory from her cousin's birthday party just now. 

 

"Whoa, that's new," she murmurs, shaking off her head vigorously. 

Blowing out a heavy breath from inside her lungs, Imme forces herself to get up and leave the bed. 

 

She opens a Spotify app and searches for her favorite DPR Live playlist. Playing "Jam & Butterfly", she clicks on the repeat mode before entering the washroom along with her phone. 

 

"Jam and butterfly, oh ah, feelin' sweet inside oh my, caramello high," Imme starts to sing as she let the water runs on top of her head. 

Just like an ordinary person who prefers a little me-time by organizing a solo concert to no one in the bathroom, a 26 years-old like Imme is not an exception, definitely. She is confident of soundproof from her well-designated room, so that's why, sometimes she sings her lungs out loud, or even taps the wall or knocks on the toilet door as she enjoys the music like her life depends on it. From K-Rnb to trot, Imme listens to any kind of genre, as long as the music is a bop to her ears. 

 

Lucky for a short haircut she has, Imme takes less than 10 minutes in the shower, before putting a thick and fluffy bathrobe on her slim body. She is cleansing her face when the music stops and her phone rings loudly. 

 

"Sheeeesshh," Imme screams when she grabs her phone and realizes it's just an alarm for her supplement intake. 

"I know, I knoww," she murmurs alone and splashes clean water on her face. 

 

In the wet hair and only bathrobe on, Imme leaves her room, walking at a steady pace to the kitchen, still humming to her recent favorite song. 

Once she reaches the spacious cooking place, Imme opens the upper drawer. 

She gets two bottles of health supplements, which both contain enough magnesium, calcium, iron, and vitamin B- Complex for a good sleep later on. 

She swallows two capsules from those different bottles before drinking a whole glass of plain water. Satisfied, she places back the products into the drawer and heads out from the kitchen. 

Like yesterday, Imme repeats her night skincare routine, applying cream, toner, moisturizer, serum, and yada yada to her face, because since puberty she has been doing this- so clearly there might be something missing if she does not.  

 

Exhausted, Imme glances at the digital clock on the mini table next to her bed. It shows the time almost reaching 12.30 am, but she is still not sleepy. Changing the bathrobe to below knee shorts and a plain white t-shirt, Imme switch on the laptop and log into her personal work account. 

Bunches of emails popped at the inbox icon, making Imme sigh in frustration. Most of them are from her life coach, Mrs. Jang and the rest are from directors of different departments in the company- as a welcoming gesture for her. 

She blinks a few times, zoning out momentarily, and decides to go through all of those emails one by one. 

 

And when she completes her email reading, Imme clicks the shutdown icon and puts her laptop on the study desk. 

 

Before she closes her eyes for sleep time, Imme reflects her day and murmurs, 

 

 

 

 

"What did I do differently today?" 

 

 

Then, her awake system disappears.