who said chivalry is dead?

pizza your heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All the park benches are open and available to sit on—not a surprise since they’re covered in snow and no one really wants a wet and pants in the middle of this freezing weather. 

 

Yoohyeon’s content to walk circles around the park, her hand still in Minji’s and her hand warmer keeping their hands from freezing and going numb. (It’s doing such a good job that Yoohyeon positively thinks her hands are sweaty and clammy. She’s been debating unlacing her fingers with Minji’s to wipe them off, but that would mean not holding Minji’s hand and Yoohyeon is not too fond of that idea.

 

Abruptly, in the middle of her sentence, Minji lets go of Yoohyeon’s hand and wipes them on her jeans. Wordlessly, Minji buries her hand in Yoohyeon’s pocket again, her fingers searching for Yoohyeon’s and intertwining them together again. Catching Yoohyeon’s gaze, Minji smiles bashfully and shyly looks away before bringing her eyes back to Yoohyeon’s, “Sorry, my hands were getting sweaty.”   

 

Mirroring her smile, Yoohyeon quickly copies what Minji did before and wipes her hand on her jeans, “Mine were too. I just…didn’t want to let go.” 

 

Minji’s eyes are fond and affectionate when she tugs Yoohyeon closer to her, so much that if she slightly leaned her head towards her, she could nuzzle her nose against Yoohyeon’s temple. 

 

(It’s not just Yoohyeon’s heart tripping and falling all over itself in nerves because Minji’s is frantic and pounding in her chest whenever Yoohyeon smiles that really precious smile—laughs that little awkward giggle she does when she feels a burst of shyness). 

 

Yoohyeon doesn’t know how long they’ve been circling the park, thinks that they might have passed the old man feeding the birds bread scraps a handful of times. Quite frankly, Yoohyeon is more focused on keeping track of her laugh counter—she’s at a confidence-boosting twenty-six when Minji’s pace slows and she guides them to the side of the path. Glancing at her watch on her inner wrist, Minji visibly deflates and sighs heavily.

 

Before Yoohyeon can ask, Minji makes her way to stand in front of Yoohyeon. (Her hand is still snugly in Yoohyeon’s pocket, her thumb caressing the back of Yoohyeon’s hand). “I hate how quickly time passed.”

 

The slight pout on her lips makes Yoohyeon wish she could stop the sun from rising and falling, if only to give them more time. 

 

“Work?”

 

Minji winces at the mention of work but nods anyway. “It might seem like I hate my work but I don’t. I really enjoy what I do but…it’s nice getting away from it.”

 

Minji looks like she wants to say more, judging by how she parts again. Nothing comes of it though. Just a tight-lipped smile that feels tired and weighted by a heavy burden. 

 

Yoohyeon nods in sympathy; work can do that—be just as exhausting as it is fulfilling. Letting Minji lead the way as they continue to walk, Yoohyeon frowns when Minji takes a turn, “Isn’t your work that way?”

 

Minji smiles softly, her eyes seem to twinkle when they glance back at her. “It is, but there’s a bodega this way. And you need to go to one, right?”

 

How Minji remembers something so minute that Yoohyeon mentioned once over text two days ago makes her feel a little giddy—feel so special that Minji would remember something so silly like her to-do list. It takes a moment for Yoohyeon to shake off the little enchantment Minji’s charm put her under.

 

“But you won’t make it in time for work if you walk me to the bodega.”

 

(Yoohyeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter