It's a good day, today

Thirteen Days Until Satan Takes a Chill Pill

Jongin stood at the second floor of the cafeteria, seemingly chilling alone with his drinks as he watched over the students. His still body only looked just that. Inside, he was jumping up and down, running laps, and climbing mountains. 

 

Baekhyun was coming back today. Byun Baekhyun, the fourth prince of the kingdom, blessed with the power of light itself, was coming home today. He was trained, he was tested, and he came out victorious, as Jongin knew he would. 

 

Keeping his calm at the face of disaster was natural to Baekhyun, even though he paid the price later on, all by himself. Jongin had seen him once. Baekhyun had been just walking from the game room to the kitchen, whistling to himself, when he was on the floor in a matter of seconds. Jongin had run at him then, his own power of teleportation forgotten, and he found Baekhyun’s breathing ragged and eyes barely open.

 

Just wait, Baekhyun had said. Jongin wasn’t to lift him up, or try to make him sit up. Also, he was cold.

 

He had waited. As his insides twisted into painful knots, Jongin had waited, wiping the thin layer of sweat from Baekhyun’s forehead, and rubbing his back gently. After a few minutes that Jongin would remember for an eternity, Baekhyun got up to his feet, told Jongin that he needed to take a shower, and left to his room.

 

Panic attack, Baekhyun had explained later on. He wasn’t sure, but what else could it be? All the feelings Baekhyun swallowed down and kept behind the doors were bound to come out someday in some form. Despite what he seemed like, despite how he acted, Baekhyun actually had many thoughts running through his mind. He was just very good at directing them, controlling them, going over them, and selecting them. There was no such thing as not feeling nervous, just pretend like he wasn’t.

 

The Light of the Kingdom entered the cafeteria followed by everyone who wasn’t already in it. Loud cheers erupted, some kids started banging the tables, the cooks hit their pots while shouting his name, and Baekhyun gracefully waved around, grinning from ear to ear.

 

His hair was white now, when it had been black. His ears had many piercings, when it had none. He was a bit taller, his shoulders were broader, and his tiny tummy had gone flat. But his laughter was exactly the same; loud, annoying, infectious. It echoed throughout the building, amidst all the screams and the yelling.

 

Jongin watched, alone on the second floor, waiting.

 

Baekhyun was to give him an answer today.

 

Two years ago, when Baekhyun was sent away to the other side of the world, to save it, protect it, and keep the peace, Jongin found himself unable to just let him go without letting him know. He had to know. Jongin had to tell, otherwise he would just drop and die, he knew it. So he went to Baekhyun’s room, early in the morning. 

 

His words died and re-lived in this throat several times before he could stutter out his feelings. He liked Baekhyun. He loved Baekhyun, he really did. Ever since he was crowned the sixth prince of the kingdom due to his unique power, and invited to live in the palace along with the others, Jongin loved Baekhyun. With his mischievous eyes that were always up to no good, and big ears that would turn red when he was angry or caught in the act of drawing on the ancient paintings, Baekhyun had unknowingly captured Jongin’s heart, and had possessed it wholly, leaving Jongin no chance but to run along, just to keep himself sane.

 

“I’ll wait,” Jongin had pleaded. “You don’t have to make a decision now, I’ll wait.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t say anything for a long time, but just stood and watched Jongin until his phone started ringing — they were waiting for him. The plane was ready, and the crowd was there to bid goodbye.

 

“You’ll have an answer,” Baekhyun had promised. “When I come back. I’ll have it for you, the moment I come back. The first thing I tell you will be my answer, you can count on it.

 

His hand brushed against Jongin’s for a moment, and then he was leaving the room, where Jongin had stayed in for the whole day, wondering if he did the right thing. He had never known how hopeful his heart had been.

 

Jongin waited. For two years, he waited. He threw himself into his school and training. He went for a run every morning and evening, whether the sun was shining, or the sky was spitting blizzard at his face. He practiced until he was the only one left in the room, gasping and covered in his own sweat and blood from head to toe. The lonely moon was his only company.

 

Now, after two years, Baekhyun was here and he was looking at him. He had been searching for him, Jongin had noticed.

 

Jongin let go of the rail he was holding tightly, and closed his eyes. He breathed in, and then out; he had to remind himself how to do that. And when he opened his eyes, Baekhyun was standing in front of him.

 

He was alone; he had left his companions downstairs. Somewhere at the back of his mind, Jongin knew the cafeteria was jam packed, and that everyone in it was watching them, but he didn’t see them, didn’t hear them, didn’t know them.

 

There was only Baekhyun, and his smart eyes, and his pierced lips.

 

“Hi, hyung,”

 

Baekhyun was true to his words. His right hand caressed Jongin’s cheek, blowing life into it, and he pulled Jongin into the kiss that was his answer.

 

 

 

Thetis, your son is gay and he's in love. That boy you keep wanting to murder, he's worthy. He's worthy of your son. Leave them be. Your son is alive and happy and is constantly getting laid. What more do you want?