2.13: when truths are revealed, the innocent will find more to unveil.

Sinful Fortuity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She wasn’t really prepared to hear what she did, but there was nothing she could do now that it had happened. That last few weeks had been spent in a whirlwind of confusions, almost to the point that her friends had asked her if someone died. She was in a state of constantly zoning out, dazed as she brushed her teeth, dazed as the professor called attendance, dazed as she shoveled tempura into . Now she understood why that barber had fallen ill after being unable to tell others that King Midas had donkey ears. Because she felt like retching too, after not talking to others for so long lest she accidentally spill her secret.

But she would suffer no longer. Today, she was going to find the two people who were absolutely clueless to this mess and ask for their advice. It was killing her to keep it to herself, so she’d fictionalize it and let it out, hoping that she didn’t encounter the same problems of echo that the barber did.

Yeri hurriedly texted Wenjoy, the affectionate couple name she had dubbed them, and asked if they were free. She actually only had to text Wendy, because she knew they’d be together. Her roommate had all but moved out of their flat into Joy’s apartment, an arrangement that she found inefficient, because Wendy was still paying rent and came over once every two weeks to pick up a pair of socks here, a notebook there, anything really to get all domestic with Joy.

Wendy texted within ten seconds, ever the diligent mom friend, asking if Yeri was okay. She understood the concern; Yeri generally wasn’t one to ask people about their schedules before calling them to a random meeting place (Irene excluded). There had been one too many times where her friends would sprint to a playground or elsewhere, only to find out that Yeri hadn’t sprained her ankle or been robbed. Honestly, Yeri was surprised that they still fell for it.

Texting Wendy to call her instead of answering her friend’s question, Yeri packed her stuff and headed out of the library. As soon as she stepped out of the door, her phone rang with Red Velvet’s Dumb Dumb: she set ringtones accordingly for all her close contacts. She swiped on the green button and walked into the main campus.

“Hey, Wendy. Joy’s with you.” The last part was a statement, because she knew asking would only waste time. “Can you meet me at the flower patch? You know where that is.”

LSM Hall was the biggest building of SMU’s campus, named after the founder of the university. Affectionately called the flower patch because of its proximity to the performing arts department, where all of the most attractive students on campus buzzed about, LSM Hall was home to several dean’s offices, as well as some private conference rooms that students could book in the lobby for virtually anything. Yeri was not ashamed to admit that she had spent several long hours karaoking in the soundproof rooms instead of finishing assignments, although she had accidentally left the door ajar once and been banned from coming back for a week.

“Yeah, we can meet you there. Are you going to book a room or are we walking together to some other place?” Yeri heard Joy squeal and loudly whisper something about pollinating flowers. “Shut up, Joy. I’m on the phone.” Yeri waited patiently, knowing that the two were bickering yet again. “Hey, I know you’re not going there to meet Sungjae. Don’t think I haven’t seen you drooling whenever we pass LSM Hall.”

Yeri laughed.

“Oh, Yeri? I’m so sorry, I forgot you were still on,” Wendy apologized, effectively ending Joy’s whining. “I’ll see you there in ten.”

Yeri clicked her tongue in acknowledgement and hung up the phone. She was near the building and could already see hordes of students from other departments hanging around the doors of the sleek, smaller building next to the flower patch, waiting for a glimpse of the next big celebrity. She sat on a bench and stared mindlessly at them, her thoughts focused on keeping her secret in until Wenjoy got there, not noticing the figure waving at her.

“Yeri!”

She pulled her eyes back into focus and saw a familiar purple-haired man being trailed by another face she knew and a good-sized group of twelve or so fangirls. Yeri sighed, knowing that not only would she have to put up with Sungjae’s excessive, annoying flirting but also the horde of Maenads following him (suddenly, his grape-coloured hair seemed incredibly adequate).

“Sungjae.” She turned to the other tall man. “Bogum. Hello.”

Sungjae didn’t realize that she didn’t actually greet him and started to compliment her sweater. Yeri knew Bogum, who was much like Sungjae a junior in performing arts, because he had actually been one of the sweeter guys to chase after Irene. While he wasn’t her favourite in that sense alone (it was annoying when multiple men tried to get the girl who no one else was able to “conquer”), he had childlike goofiness that was definitely more toned down than Sungjae’s but enough to make women swoon. Yeri excluded.

The man looked dashing as ever in his pink t-shirt and white hoodie, she had to admit, but she was afraid that if she started up a conversation asking how he’d been since Irene turned him down four times, the girls behind him and Sungjae could go into a frenzied rampage. So instead, she smiled awkwardly and motioned that she had to leave, apologizing to him and shooing away Sungjae, who attempted to continue talking to her by walking by her side. Luckily, Wenjoy appeared and saved her, although now the group meeting of three that she had imagined was lumping into a crowd of nearly twenty.

Yeri practically sprinted to Wendy, clutching her arm and desperately pleading with her to chase Sungjae and Bogum away before one of them got trampled. Joy threw her an okay sign and dove headfirst into battle, a brave Amazonian warrior on a mission to clear the path for a fellow woman. The unexpecting juniors greeted Joy, Sungjae clapping her on the back and Bogum pulling her into a hug; however, they soon realized Joy’s betrayal when she all but shoved them into the waiting arms of the groupies, leaving them to be carried away to lord knows where. It wasn’t her problem, anyway.

The hero returned, reverting to baby state as she squeezed her girlfriend, asking Wendy to compliment her for a job well-done. Wendy rolled her eyes but patted Joy’s head and led them into the flower patch. Yeri booked a room on the fourth floor of seven; all the deans’ offices were on the second floor and the rest were conference rooms, large common lounges with billiard tables on each floor in addition to the private spaces.

“This is my favourite room. I hope you don’t mind.”

Wendy shook her head, taking a seat. “So, what’s up? You seemed a bit out of it the past few days.”

Yeri sighed. “I’ve just got a lot on my mind. Actually called y’all here to talk about it.”

Joy leaned forward, eyes glittering maniacally. “Oooooh, what is it? Tell mama Joy.”

Yeri lightly shoved the older girl. “It’s serious.”

“So am I.”

Wendy slapped her hand over Joy’s mouth. “Please continue.”

Yeri pondered how she should go about it but decided to spill all the details, since she’d not be using Irene’s name anyway. At least the one these unnies knew about.

“So, I have a friend. She told me something a bit disconcerting a while back, and I wanted to ask you guys what course of action I should take for her.”

“Is it someone at this school? Maybe we can refer them to a counselor or something.”

“No!” Yeri burst out. “I mean, it’s just an unnie I knew growing up. Joohyun unnie from back home, haha.”

“I see. So what’s the problem?”

“Well...” Yeri faltered. “She told me something kinda dark, and I’m just worried for her.”

“What is it?”

“She may have killed someone when she was younger.”

Joy choked. “What?!”

Yeri waved her arms around in a panic as Wendy tapped Joy’s back with equal levels of panic. “I don’t mean like, murder, or anything. Well, maybe, I don’t know. But she didn’t intend to!”

“That doesn’t make it any better!” Joy pointed at Yeri. “You hang out with killers?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter