2.12: to learn you would be a sin, so i chose to love you instead, at the risk of destroying myself.

Sinful Fortuity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi still wasn’t sure why the now purple-haired, monolid man was hanging out with five girls, three of whom were gay, one biual, one whose ual preference was still unknown to Seulgi, and all uninterested in him, but Seulgi also wasn’t confident as to the reason why he was flirting with all of them like they were interested in him. When she asked Joy about it, she gave a simple answer:

“He’s just a hoe. Don’t mind him; given the chance to get friendly enough to you, he’ll flirt with any that has two legs and a mouth. I’ve seen him flirt with his best friends, male and female, a grandma, the delivery person, and even one of our professors. He thinks he’s suave. Let him be. He isn’t actually looking to date anyone right now, which I secretly think is because I was just that great of a girlfriend that he can’t find a replacement.”

Typical Joy answer. At least Seulgi didn’t have to worry about him having certain intentions toward her girlfriend.

Wait, why was she being so possessive? She shook her head violently, piquing Irene’s attention.

“Seulgi, are you okay?”

Irene slithered an arm around Seulgi’s waist, leaning into her side. Seulgi smiled naturally and kissed her temple, unaware of how attuned her body had subconsciously become to Irene’s physical affections. Irene snuggled more deeply in content, wrapping both of her arms around her in a full hug.

“Uh, as much as I’d like to see you two get it on sometime, we’re in the middle of a sidewalk and there’s children behind us,” Sungjae snickered, bursting the bubble the couple was in. Wendy and Joy, who were not as big on skinship, laughed in sync as Yeri muttered something about not being paid enough to hang out with friends who were all dating each other. Hearing this, Sungjae turned to Yeri, full flirting mode on.

“I mean, I’m always available. If you’re interested.”

Yeri scowled deeply before holding a hand up in firm refusal. “I’m a hundred percent sure I never will be.”

“Aww,” Sungjae pouted exaggeratedly, “you break my heart. No one can be a hundred percent on anything.”

“Wendy’s also a hundred percent not attracted to you, so I object.”

Sungjae huffed at Joy. “Just you wait, ex-girlfriend. I’ll make you eat your words.”

Joy shrugged, pulling Wendy into a side hug. “Suit yourself. Don’t come crying when you can’t make kids anymore, though.”

She and Wendy high-fived.

Seulgi watched the amusing exchange play out, having already pulled Irene and herself to the side so they were not blocking any passerbys. Everything felt in place, especially with the last of midterms wrapped up and the semester over halfway done. The sun was setting in an amalgamation of pastel-coloured water paints, hues blending, bleeding, into one another despite the fine dust entrapping the city. Seulgi felt warm. The heat of the sun’s rays were diminishing quickly as dinnertime approached, but the pressure on her side and the giddiness in her chest coalesced into a euphoric undertaking of something she dared to call happiness. Something that didn’t necessarily erase the pain but made it bearable.

She was in love.

It was a love that perhaps she should have noticed barrelling towards her the moment her smile made Seulgi’s breath catch in . Or even before that, when a mere picture of her sent waves of uncontrollable emotion through her being, the negative tendencies aside. Or maybe further back, when the first thing that struck her about her father’s killer was that she was utterly beautiful.

They do say that there is a fine love between love and hate. Seulgi just wasn’t sure under which circumstances they could be applied. Especially when it came to Irene, the girl who didn’t seem to be Joohyun.

It was a gamble Seulgi shouldn’t have taken, and now she was playing her cards with a typical bravado but nothing to back it up. She had to reel it back. Get her head back in the game.

“Hey, Seulgee,” Sungjae jested, drawing out the last consonant into its soft counterpart. “You joining us for the evening? We’re gonna head to the ReVe for crepes and then head to CUBE-E for drinks. I know the owner, so we can get all of you some free cocktails.”

“Yuh, Sungjae knows, like, a bunch of owners for everything. Didn’t you say your cousin got you those reservations too?”

Sungjae closed his eyes and made a zipping motion with both hands like a maestro. “A magician never reveals his secrets.”

Joy snickered and punched his arm. Hard. “Magician, my . Don’t tell me you can pull fifty-thousand wons out of thin air too.”

“No, but I have a wallet full of them, hehe.”

Wendy and Yeri had to hold Joy back as she lunged for his coat pockets. Irene laughed.

“I actually have to finish up some stuff for council and finalize some forms for graduation, but I’ll see you guys soon?” Irene said, face hesitant with the fear of upsetting her friends.

“I see...How about you, Seulgi?”

Seulgi looked down at Irene who gave her an encouraging smile, silently signalling her that it would be fine for Irene to head home alone. “I guess I’ll head back with Irene. I’m still recovering from that last test.”

Wendy gave a thumbs up and dragged a whining Joy and Sungjae by the ears to get the crepes she’d wanted to eat for four days. Yeri waved at them as well and bounded along with the older ones, shouting something about Sungjoy and being siblings.

“You didn’t have to stay. I know you hate missing out on food more than anything in the world.”

They were walking back to Irene’s place, hand in hand. Seulgi let out a low whistle.

“I hate you not hanging out with us more. And overworking yourself after business hours.” Her mind momentarily flashed to a pale, unconscious Irene on a hospital bed. “Plus, you can make me food. I love your cooking.”

“You smooth-talker. You’re so greasy you’re gonna give me blood clots.”

Seulgi grinned cheekily. “Imagine that. Cause of death: greasy girlfriend. They’ll never know if it’s because I don’t wash my hair or I flirt too much.”

“Eww, Seulgi.” Irene let go of her hand.

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding,” Seulgi said, ruffling her hair to show that it was clean. “I washed it this morning.”

Her assurance didn’t stop a passing teenage boy from widely sidestepping around her as he attempted to cross the street.

Irene

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter