it was a dumb star, anyway.

that star on the christmas tree

A/N: This is actually based on a friend of mine. He and his girlfriend were decorating the Christmas tree at her place and he likes doing origami, so he made a star similar to the one here with their picture and everything. Thought it'd be cute to turn it into a fluff fic :D


 

Your name is Seo Soojin, and like Hell are you going to let your girlfriend disgrace the Christmas tree with her bull.

 

Nope. Not this year.

 

“But, baaaaaabe!” Yuqi whined from where she’s sulking on the couch of their living room. And God, help her—because Soojin is seconds away from throwing a snowflake ornament at her face. “A star is so basic! Ice Bro would look way cooler on top!”

 

Soojin twitches an eye at the nickname Yuqi had so graciously bestowed on that blasted white bear she’s cradling in her hands. The Han girl is wearing that “kicked puppy” look on her face, and Soojin feels herself slowly giving in as she lowers the snowflake with a begrudging sigh. Placing it down on the center table next to her before raking a hand through her black hair.

 

“Yuqi…” She repeats for the umpteenth time that morning. Partly fond, but mostly exasperated at her childish antics. “The star is going on the tree this year, whether you like or not.”

 

Her tone has a certain finality to it, except the pout is still stubbornly glued on Yuqi’s baby-doll features. And Soojin has a strong feeling that this tirade won’t be won by reasoning any time soon.

 

But to the older girl’s surprise, her girlfriend doesn’t argue back like she normally does.

 

“Okay, fine. Let’s just go with a star then.”

 

Soojin opens slightly, then closes it right after. Wait, what? Did Yuqi actually agree about the star? In the three years they’ve been dating, she never once let her put the star on top of their Christmas tree.

 

No, she thinks. This has to be a prank.

 

“What did you say?” Soojin gapes at her in disbelief.

 

“I said we can go with a star.” Yuqi has that conniving smile on her pink lips, which makes Soojin narrow her eyes in doubt.

 

“Why the sudden change of heart?” She questions warily. Because let’s face it, Soojin would be lying if she said that she wasn’t the tiniest bit suspicious about her intentions.

 

Although she isn’t a prankster like Yuqi, years of knowing the Han girl has made her quite efficient at smelling a prank from miles away. The room smells extra pranky right now, but Soojin feels somewhat safe with the knowledge that Yuqi’s pranks are—for lack of better words—crappy. Though, there’s usually an exception if the other two resident pranksters, Shuhua and Soyeon, are involved in her plans. Sometimes Minnie. Or, in rarer cases, Miyeon.

 

“I’m just being a good girlfriend, unnie. Relax.” Yuqi states in an overly-sweet tone as she finally sets aside the plastic bear. (Thank God.) “Now wait here while I go find you that dumb star.”

 

And then she was gone before Soojin could even stop her, to let Yuqi know that the star is just sitting in a flimsy cardboard box not three steps away from where she had been sitting.

 

That pabo, I swear…

 

Rolling her eyes half-heartedly, Soojin decides not to bother with it and just weaves through the sea of boxes to pour herself a drink in the kitchen. Decorating is thirsty work, after all, so she’s more than relieved to find some iced tea inside the fridge.

 

She’s not technically done, however, since there’s still another army of boxes that Yuqi needs to bring down from their attic. The tree is pretty much finished already, but that’s about it. The rest of the house remains bare of all the seasonal goodness, because the two had been bickering about the goddamn star for at least an hour now.

 

Speaking of, where is her girlfriend anyway?

 

“Yuqi-ah, have you found the star yet?” Soojin calls out as she re-enters the living room—only to be met with the sight of Yuqi swaying precariously on a step ladder as she tries to put a star on top of the Christmas tree.

 

It takes approximately two seconds for her to realize that the star is made of ing paper.

 

“Are you kidding me?”

 

“Unnie! You’re here!” Yuqi grins triumphantly, despite Soojin’s deadpan expression. “Guess who found you a star?” She adds with a cheeky lilt in her deep voice.

 

Maybe Soojin should’ve realized that Yuqi was pertaining to a different kind of star. Especially when she kept referring to it as “a star” instead of “the star”.

 

“Oh, no. You are not putting that on the tree.” Soojin declares as she marches over to snatch the fake star, because no way in Hell is she going to let it bastardize the beautiful ornaments she had so meticulously strung up. Over her dead body. “Now hand it over.”

 

Yuqi looks a bit hurt. “But… Soojin-ah…” The older girl’s attention is pulled at the sudden mention of her name, and she looks at Yuqi’s downcast face with concern. “I made this star for us. See?”

 

The star is promptly pushed into her hands, and Soojin glances down as her eyes soften immediately.

 

The yellow origami, although slightly creased in a couple areas, had been carefully folded into a simple, five-pointed star. But what really tugged at her heartstrings is the polaroid taped to the front, which was taken during their first Christmas party together as a couple. With Soojin wearing a pretty, red bow that matched her scarlet hair back then, and Yuqi sporting a cute, white bunny hat over her bangs.

 

Her gaze then drops down to the blocky letters scrawled below the photo. SooQi, it read in clean, black handwriting with a small heart drawn beside it.

 

“I was supposed to put it on your Christmas present, but I thought it’d look way prettier up on the tree.” Soojin looks back at Yuqi as she spoke, the last of her resolve melting under the innocent enthusiasm in the Han girl’s almond-shaped eyes. “Do you like it, unnie?”

 

The hopeful expectancy in her tone has Soojin shaking her head, almost like she didn’t know what to do with her silly, yet thoughtful girlfriend, before she comes forward to swoop Yuqi into a warm hug.

 

“It’s perfect, jagi. I love it.” Soojin tells her with an earnest smile, and Yuqi brightens up like a Christmas light. Prompting her to chuckle as she her hair affectionately. Something she usually did to make Yuqi happy. “Do you need any help putting it up?”

 

A nod. “Yes, please.”

 

And so, the two find themselves standing on the ladder together. Soojin being a step lower as she supported Yuqi from the back with gentle hands on her waist, while Yuqi sticks her—their—star on the tree with masking tape. Satisfied, she twists around in Soojin’s hold and leans down to kiss her. A sweet, lingering peck on the lips that leaves the both of them smiling.

 

“You’re right, it does look prettier up there.” Soojin tells her once they’ve climbed off, admiring the makeshift star with a content look as Yuqi grins her way.

 

“Told ya.” She says proudly, before taking Soojin’s hand in her own so they can rummage through the other trinkets still waiting inside their boxes. “Come on, babe! Let’s go finish decorating the rest of the house!”

 

Soojin lets out an adorable laugh as she allows Yuqi to drag her along. This is one of the best parts of Christmas, and she’s determined to get everything hung up and splayed out today. Even if it’ll take them the whole afternoon to finish.

 

But if that means doing it with Yuqi, then Soojin doesn’t mind at all.