Parents Day

Oh My World

December 23rd is that day where snow drops ever so beautifully from the cloudy skies and the wind blows cool and moists Yubin and Seunghee's windows. It's almost 24th in an hour, meaning it's almost midnight and the couple's still awake, lights and lamps are closed and only the brightness of the TV screen gives Yubin a proper vision of their living room. 

 

“Hey wife.” Seunghee approached Yubin on the couch, holding a bowl of popcorn on her arms. The latter hummed as they cuddled against each other on the said furniture.

 

“Hmmm.” The two are quietly watching a newly-premiered movie on their TV. With the lights off, Seunghee can't tell if the couch is safe from popcorn bits dirt or whatsoever but Yubin the clean freak doesn't seem to mind so ishe kept in mind to not think about that for now and instead focus on the movie.

 

“Is it okay if my childhood friend stays here for two days next next week?” Yubin's chilhood friend. How many childhood friend does she have? Have she ever talked about a childhood friend? All Seunghee could think is that Arin was Yubin's only friend. Turns out she's wrong.

 

"Childhood friend?"

 

"The one I told you who used to play with me and Arin when we were kids."

 

“Hmm sure.” Seunghee nodded, but she has more questions in her head. "Why? I mean, it's okay but we don't really have a guest room like Arin and Jiho. Don't your friend has any apartment to stay in?" She felt Yubin's hand lightly patting her thigh, as if she's being told to calm herself and let Yubin explain more.

 

Yubin, whose head leaned on Seunghee's chest as she picks two pieces of popcorn from the bowl, slowly shook her head and her hair slightly rubbed against Seunghee's jawline that made the latter giggle softly. "Well, not really. Also, I'm asking you not because my friend will sleep here. Of course, it should be at Jiho's guest room." Yubin explains and pointed at the direction of the said neighbor.

 

Seunghee nodded once again. That's better. She can't help it and wouldn't be able to erase the fact that she's gonna keep meeting people from Yubin's life before they met. She's just glad she has good socializing skills.

 

They continued to stare at the flashing television screen until it's not the only thing lighting up their living room. Suddenly, their neighbor opened the lights from the other's living room and revealed Jiho in her pajamas poking their screen door.

 

Why's Jiho still awake? From Yubin's perspective, she thinks Jiho is just nervous because they'll be having another episode of meet-the-parents tomorrow.

 

Jiho is ready to impress Arin and her family (especially her father-in-law) but she had been very nervous about it so she couldn't sleep well. Tomorrow, she and Arin together with Yubin and Seunghee will go back to their hometown and spend time with Yubin and Arin's family.

 

When she walked downstairs at midnight, she saw that her neighbors are still awake. Yubin and Seunghee are there sitting on the couch having a movie date. They can't sleep like me too? Should she stick herself in? It's the first time she'd be actually third wheeling with the couple.

 

"We're staying up late so we have a reason to sleep early tomorrow night at Seunghee's parents." Yubin explained. Yes, Christmas season is when families gather to spend the sentiment of loving and caring but the thing is, both Yubin's parents and Seunghee's parents want them to be at home. Of course, the couple wants to be together too and they can't cut themselves in half so they scheduled their whole time visiting in their hometown where they can spend time with both families without it being rushed. And that they'll have a proper rest right after

 

"What the.. that's a good idea." Jiho spoke in awe as she sits in between the earlier cuddling Yubin and Seunghee. The latter of the two wanted to push her off the couch and make her sit on the other side but Yubin mouthed not to. Jiho seemed pretty occupied.

 

I'm too nervous. Jiho once admitted to herself that she's the most confident person she could ever be but not when it's against Arin's dad. The first time she met him, she could only stammer.

 

"Stop being so nervous." Seunghee tells her. Good for her, she managed to get out of the pressure when Yubin was the one who asked her to get married.

 

"I'm not so nervous." She denied, lying to herself because she really does feel it. In addition, she feels hungry and is thinking of how would she take the popcorn bowl from Seunghee without them noticing it.

 

Yubin shifted from her position and stood up while holding the edges of the blanket wrapped around her shoulder which used to be shared with Seunghee but Jiho came. "Stop being in-denial. you were a mess when you first and last met dad."

 

"Wha- hey! how did you know that!" Jiho finally successfully swiftly took the popcorn bowl into her hold once Yubin moved to sit next to Seunghee again, now the oldest of the three is sat on the middle.

 

"I saw it in Arin's diary."

 

Arin has a diary?

 

Jiho couldn't ask more because Arin woke up and joined them but.

 

Arin has a diary. She's sure there's gonna be something there about how to impress the father Choi. So the next morning...

 

"Good morning.." Arin yawned while walking towards Jiho on the kitchen area. Jiho is having her morning coffee, nothing suspicious. But as Arin gave her a morning hug, she noticed something.

 

"Why's your hair wet..? You took a bath already?" Arin pulled away and took her phone out from her pocket. She received a text from her Mom.

 

Mom, 7:58 AM: Yewon, will you pick up some groceries for me on your way here? Your sister isn't responding.

 

Her attention left Jiho for a moment while replying to her mom. As far as she could remember, Seunghee and Yubin plans to sleep at Seunghee's parents tonight for Christmas eve then celebrate Christmas day on their home. But their mom seems to be unaware of it right now.

 

"Um.. Yeah." Jiho coughed a bit, eyes fixed on her coffee but sometimes subtly looking at her partner but couldn't actually look at her in the eye. "I woke up early to take a bath."

 

"You woke up early to take a bath? Didn't expect you to be this excited." Arin chuckled as she teased Jiho. She knew about how nervous Jiho could be about this day so she understood her unusual actions. Jiho can be very cute even when I don't ask for it.

 

"Yep! Very, very excited!" Lying. She's excited to look for Arin's diary.

 

Once Arin went to take a bath, Jiho immediately washed the mugs they used. She hurriedly ran to their room and looked at Arin's closet.

 

Arin didn't make it hard to find the diary. It's just under the pile of weekday clothes. Jiho found the diary and written on the first page is,

 

"hi, I'm Arinnie's diary! If you're not Arin, then don't read me~"

 

I am a very terrible horrible sinful person. Jiho whispers to herself as she proceeds on reading the pink diary.

 

Jiho found out a lot about Arin's father. She didn't just find out about the elder's favorite fruits, about how he likes being the one to boss around the kitchen and how he took care of his two girls. Jiho also found out a lot more things she didn't know Arin likes to do or wishes to do.

 

"Arin, can you button up my sleeves?" After the sinful reading Jiho did, she managed to act normally as the day continued. The couple is getting ready to go out to buy groceries and shop with Yooa and Yubin.

 

"You're so pretty." Arin heard Jiho whispering while she also noticed the lovingly and annoying stare from the girl. She rolled her eyes and let go of Jiho's sleeve.

 

"You say that everyday." She muttered, taking Jiho's other arm to button its sleeve up too.

 

Grinning, even when Arin isn't looking at her fiancee, she knows Jiho is grinning. "I can't get enough of it."

 

"You're gorgeous. you're gorgeous you're gorgeous.” Arin mocks her but the other only stared, once again.

 

"...You're still pretty." Jiho says and Arin finally gave up, dropped Jiho's arm and went to her sister waiting by the car.

 

MIMI.

 

"Seriously, do we have to listen to that everyday?" Mimi grunts on her seat, she's at the patio with Seunghee and they just witnessed Jiho and Arin by the gate.

 

Once the two left with Yooa and Yubin using Seunghee's car, they stood up from their seats. "Jiho is overly sweet today. Is she really my friend?" Mimi wonders if Jiho did something unfair and she's making up to it. That could be the only reason.

 

"Shut up and open the door." Seunghee said and Mimi opened the blue-gray house-- Jiho and Arin's house using her emergency key.

 

When they got in they saw two sets of food prepared on the table.

 

One with a tag: "For Ari"

The other with a tag: "For unnies"

 

Mimi and Seunghee sighed as they faced each other. Did Arin just... prepare food for us too? Jiho and Arin going to the mall with Yubin and Yooa to buy groceries for their 2-day vacation on their respective hometowns. Why are Seunghee and Mimi still in the compounded houses?

 

"What's with your hand?" Mimi asks when she saw Seunghee holding her right hand so carefully, the other girl shakes her head then pointed at the puppy by the doorway. "He bit me." Seunghee says, pouting.

 

Mimi chuckles and walks to Jiho and Arin's cabinet, looking for something that could help her friend. Luckily, there's an ointment.

 

“Can’t believe Hyojung unnie bought eight chairs.” Seunghee muttered while walking back to the wide living room after Mimi helped her with her hand on the kitchen table. The two are eating the food Jiho left them while also watching on Jiho's wide TV. Seunghee already finished feeding Ari... and unfortunately got bitten. Their partners and friends are on the way to the mall but the two stayed and will be using Mimi’s car later.

 

“I don’t really mind, it’s not my money.”

 

Indeed, Hyojung did some panic-buying last week when she was in the middle of pre-marriage pressure. It’s fine for Hyejin anyway, but the whole furniture package delivery is coming today morning so Mimi and Seunghee insisted—or volunteered they’ll wait for it since Hyojung and Hyejin have plans to go to their parents too. The two did say they will go to Hyejin’s parents early.

 

But are they really?

 

HYOJUNG.

 

“Finally, just the two of us.” Hyojung clung her arm around Hyejin's, her cheek leaning gently against the other's shoulder. They just arrived at the mall after the hurry escape they enacted even when they knew their friends don't have any idea of their actual plan today.

 

“There you go again.” Hyejin lightly nudged her fiancee. Hyojung raised her head to to face the love of her life.

 

“What? We don’t get a lot of chance to be alone together because the kids are always here and there.”

 

Hyojung and Hyejin are walking into the department store. There are many times they shopped together with their friends and they usually walk as a group or in fours. This time, they're alone. Hyojung and Hyejin are always together at work already so when they actually go out somewhere else, they mostly go with their friends.

 

“Yeah.” Hyejin chuckles. “I meant, there you go again, acting like their mom.”

 

“Sorry, you don’t like it?”

 

Hyejin smiled. “I think it’s adorable.”

 

The two wanted to have a date where their friends wouldn’t suddenly barge in from the door, or ask if they’re still gonna eat their food, or make games about everything in the table. Surely, they do have fun when they’re with the girls but it’s been a while since it’s just the two of them.

 

What the two didn’t know was that their friends have plans to buy groceries and do shopping before the said ‘Parents Day’.

 

They didn't know that until they stepped towards the women's wear. Aside from just hanging out, the two also have a VIP ticket to this live show. There's a band they've been keeping an eye on and they plan to hire them for their wedding.

 

"We still have time before it starts." Hyojung holds up her ticket and reread the time schedule. Hyejin nodded and fished her phone out of her pocket.

 

"We can try this restaurant." Hyejin pointed at the picture she saw from her instagram. The minute Hyojung looked at it, a notification popped.

 

Arinnie: ㅋㅋ didn't know you're at the mall too, unnies.

 

"How did she know?!" Hyejin turned off her phone and placed it back to her sling bag. She looked worriedly at Hyojung whose eyes are now busy looking all over around them.

 

"Oh my god, they're here."

 

"What? Where? Where?" Hyojung couldn't point at where their friends are, it's like they're fugitives on escape for some reasons but it's only in their heads. She wrapped an arm around Hyejin and made her face the ditection where Yooa and Seunghee are checking out some sleeved shirts over the edge of the women's clothing area.

 

"Oh! Oh! Jiho and Arin are leaving!" Hyojung exclaimed. She's always exclaiming. She's like a bunny hopping all day.

 

"Shh! Let's go before Mimi and Seunghee comes. They have like eyes of an owl." With Arin occupying Jiho, their only problem is Mimi and Seunghee because they're still nowhere to be seen and Yooa and Yubin seem busy with the clothes.

 

"Maybe they're not here." Hyojung was pulled by Hyejin onto the male section while their eyes continued to watch their clueless friends. They leaned onto a male underwear shelf and that's when Hyejin realized something.

 

"Wait.." She whispers, then coughed. "I mean wait." Now with her normal voice, she continued. "What are we doing..? I thought we're supposed to enjoy this day with just the two of us."

 

Hyojung looked dearly at her soon to be wife, realizing the same thing. She sighed and agreed with a nod. "Right, they aren't even well-aware that we're here yet we're so onto them.."

 

"Hmm," Hyejin kissed her girl's cheek. "Let's go eat something instead and let them shop in peace."

 

ARIN.

 

"Arin- wait."

 

"Arin, we're walking too fast.."

 

"Choi Yewon, I swear to your sister if you don't tell me what's with you-"

 

Arin stopped walking and smiled so sweetly at her girlfriend. "I thought you're hungry, you shouldn't get hungry." That was a very dumb reasoning, Arin.

 

They continued to walk but not as fast as earlier. Jiho's arm has been wrapped around Arin's shoulder as they entered the fast food. "Do we eat here and take away food for the unnies?" Jiho asked while leading her to the cashier line.

 

Arin only nodded, she was a little occupied on her phone. After she saw Hyojung and Hyejin walking at the corner aisle of the store earlier, she quickly pulled Jiho away from the store and made sure Yooa and Yubin would be too busy picking out new arrival clothes.

 

Yes, Arin knew about the small escapade but Hyejin and Hyojung didn’t tell her they’ll go to this mall too, and that it would be today.

 

Thankfully, Jiho seem to not notice anything suspicious. If any, Jiho's the one acting suspicious today and Arin's taking advantage of it.

 

"So um, do you think your mom will like the apron I bought for her?" Jiho grabbed the tray of their food ordered a while ago and the two walked further to find a table for themselves.

 

"She will like it. Don't worry." Arin took the straw out of its pocket and sipped from the softdrink across her. Jiho's eyes fixated on the fries spread out on the tray, Arin knows she's dodging the conversation.

 

"I'm not worried about her." Jiho says while munching on three pieces of french fries in . Arin chuckles, she grabbed a piece for herself. "You're worried about how awkward it'll be between you and my dad?"

 

The older girl shook her head, uselessly denying. "No... I'm very capable of not messing up in front of your dad, okay?"

 

"If you say so.." says Arin with a sly smile at Jiho who's avoiding her gaze.

 

"Stop grinning, Choi."

 

YUBIN.

 

"Mim! Here!" Yooa waved at the sight of Mimi and Seunghee who are both busy looking for them in the middle of all the clothing sets. A smile immediately formed across Yubin's pouting lips when she saw her wife walking towards her.

 

"Sorry, Hyojung unnie's package came later than we expected." Mimi hugged Yooa's waist and that made Yubin shake her head as she faced Seunghee who seem not interested to giving her even just a kiss on the cheek as an I'm-here-wife greeting.

 

"We already bought stuff at the grocery store earlier so we're just shopping now." Yooa informed them. It's true, they didn't expect Seunghee and Mimi to come follow as late as this so they decided to go ahead and do the tasks earlier.

 

"Ah really?" Mimi whispers- with a little bit of flirting and touching Yooa's waist from time to time. Yubin heard it and saw it all and couldn't help but to look back at her wife with a lollipop on the mouth scanning some long sleeved blouse that Yooa already checked earlier.

 

Not planning to stay on her position where she's obliged to feel jealous at the affection of the other couple, Yubin stepped closer to Seunghee and took her hand. "Why do you keep picking buttoned shirts? It's hard washing those for me."

 

Seunghee casually held her hand back but eyes were still on the shirts. "Um.. nothing."

 

There was a bit of silence and instead of listening to Mimi and Yooa's public showcase of affection, she thought about what gift should she give for Seunghee's upcoming birthday.

 

"Your hands are cold, Bae Yubin." Seunghee muttered randomly and took Yubin's hands in hers to keep them warm. Yubin can't believe she could still be blushing at Seunghee's random affection.. which is a rare thing to happen these days. Anyway, what could she give her for her birthday? What else does Seunghee need?

 

After many more walking and looking for some cool new stuff to wear, Yooa and Seunghee volunteered paying at the cashier section. The left ones, Yubin and Mimi remained at one corner.

 

"Seunghee keeps buying buttoned shirts. I don't know why she loves it that much when she doesn't even wear them. I wear them instead." Yubin brought up as they talk. Mimi was talking about the new kitchen utensils Yooa bought that both of them think were not that necessary to be bought at all.

 

"Oh, OH! Same with Yooa." Mimi said while pointing the buttons of the shirt she's wearing at the moment. Yubin chuckles and adds, "Why the favor about the buttoned shirts, right?"

 

Yubin thought Mimi would agree but the latter just grinned at her and pushed her arm slightly, teasingly. "Seunghee must like ing your shirt."

 

What..?

 

HYOJUNG.

 

“You nervous?” Hyojung asks Hyejin as they sat on their favorite spot on their new favorite restaurant. After they bought gifts for Hyojung's sisters, they went to eat lunch before the show starts later.

 

“No. I’ve met your parents.” Hyejin joked. But honestly, she's pretty nervous.

 

Hyojung knew anyway, she can somehow sense that Hyejin is nervous. Maybe because she is too. “Don’t worry. I’m sure today will go well. Our parents like each other.”

 

“And you like me too~"

 

“Are you kidding? I love y-“

 

“Shh!” DID HYEJIN JUST SHUSH MY I LOVE YOU? But then when she saw why Hyejin hid them behind the big menu book, she sighed, happily. She saw their friends walking away from the department store. It’s funny thinking about how they wanted to hide from them.

 

“They’re so cute.”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“I miss them already.”

 

Hyejin sets the menu book down and pats Hyojung's hand. “Don’t be like that. We’ll see them next week.”

 

The older squints her eyes and locked her fingers along Hyejin's. “You talk like you don’t miss them.”

 

“Did I say I don’t?” Hyejin giggled when Hyojung glared cutely. “I love you too.”

 

Yubin.

 

“You nervous?” Yubin asks Seunghee while they walk their way to the parking lot.

 

“Nope.” says Mimi.

 

“Yes.” Seunghee answered.

 

“Kinda.” Jiho murmured.

 

They walked to their respective cars parked next to each other. Yubin laughed softly as she waved at Mimi and Yooa who already went in their car. Her eyes smiling squinted when it landed to her wife about to seat on the passenger’s seat.

 

“I thought you’ll drive today.”

 

“I’m lazy.” Seunghee raised her left palm with the keys on it but Yubin pushed the hand back to its owner and rests her hands on her hips.

 

“But we had a deal, Sseung.”

 

“Hey- Hey! No fighting.” Jiho took the keys from Seunghee’s hand and got in and on the drivers’ seat. Earlier when Jiho, Yooa, Arin and Yubin went to the mall, they used this car and Yubin drove for them. Jiho didn’t bring her car because it’s already decided that they should be using Seunghee and Yubin’s car.

 

As Yubin sat down on the back seat with Arin leaning on her shoulder, she thought back to what could happen once they arrive to their hometown. The reason why Seunghee and Yubin (telepathically agreed) both don't want to go to Yubin's parents or Seunghee's together is because they fight a lot and don't want to disappoint them. The last time they were together in one house with their parents, they had to lie all day to get them to agree about the marriage.

 

Hopefully today would be better than the last time.

 

YOOA and MIMI.

 

Meanwhile, inside Mimi’s car was Yooa dozing off from leaning on the car window. I can't fall asleep right now.

 

Yooa is somehow very excited about celebrating Christmas with both her and Mimi's parents. After the talk years ago when the Yoo family had a meeting with Kims for the business partnership, there were not any more record of the two families gathering until now.

 

“You’re not nervous?” Yooa asks Mimi. She heard her answer Yubin's question earlier and it amused her.

 

Not that Yooa is nervously excited, she's more of thrilled about how it will go. Back when she's a kid, her family celebrates the best of holidays and her mother tries cooking a lot. Then ends up ordering food instead.

 

Mimi shook her head, she glanced at her girl and smiled. She's confident that their Christmas day would be fun because she has pride for how their family celebrates Christmas. My brother carries conversations really really well.

 

"Now I'm nervous." Yooa says after Mimi's confident response, the latter chuckled at her. Hands on the steering wheel, Mimi glanced at her girlfriend. "Don't worry. Are families are very much alike."

 

"Hm.. No they're not." Yooa insisted, she leaned her head on the window once again as she tries not to think about not so fortunate scenarios that could happen today.. and the next two days.

 

"They are! We both have moms who love cooking."

 

"My mom only loves cooking but she's not good at it."

 

"Well, we both have brothers."

 

"My brother is more annoying than your brother."

 

"And we both have strict fathers! What could possibly go wrong?"

 

"Um? They go stricter with each other?" Mimi gave her a look. Yooa sighed and gave up.

 

"Fine." Mimi's right, their families almost engaged to a partnership for business before, what harm could this holiday be spent for good memories do?

 

SEUNGHEE.

 

“Jiho, we’ll stop by the convenient store to pick up ice cream for my dad.” Seunghee tells the woman driving once she sights the store open on the next street. She heard Yubin getting ready to hop off as well and saying her goodbye to the younger sister. 

 

“Oh alright. I’ll keep the keys?” Jiho stopped the car to the side, hands busy at the steering wheel.

 

Before Seunghee gets off, she pinched Jiho's cheek but realized that she used her right hand and it hurts. She was going to whine but when she looked at her wife, Yubin was smiling wide while waving at Arin on the back seat as she closed the car door. “Of course. We’ll see you later!”

 

They watched the car drive away of them before they entered the store. Alright. I'll just tell her when we get home. She knows Yubin would be dead worried and might not enjoy this day.

 

"What flavor does your dad like?" Yubin asks her as they clung onto each other's arm. Seunghee's head goes into series of event where she bought ice cream for her father. She usually buys anything that's available in the store. He doesn't have a certain favorite.. it's more of that ice cream in general is his favorite.

 

"Hm.. I'm not sure. You wanna pick the flavor for him?"

 

Yubin nodded with her eyes smiling. She would love to. She once told Seunghee about wanting to create bond between her and Seunghee's parents. They continued to head to the ice cream section but as Seunghee opened the ice cream refrigerator, someone called Yubin's name.

 

The guy was familiar to Seunghee but she can't recall where she saw him. Anyway, Seunghee decides she'll pick out the flavor as Yubin seemed busy talking to the guy.

 

“So, here. Seunghee, meet Seungjoon. Seungjoon, this is Seunghee, my wife."

 

That's what Seunghee heard when she finally got to decide the ice cream flavor. She took a cold gallon of ice cream in her hands, but it was too cold, she could only use her fingertips. My hand is aching!! She looked at the taller man with good cheekbones, then to Yubin and she wants to cry for help.

 

“Oh yeah yeah. I saw her on the wedding.” The guy said and waved his long fingers at her. Still, Seunghee can't tell if she actually saw him there, at the wedding.. and her hand feels terrible.

 

“I didn’t see you there but hello, Yubin’s… friend.” She walked ahead of them, uninterested and feeling hasty-- she wants to go home as soon as possible.

 

“I’ll pay for this.” Seunghee whispered before excusing herself.

 

After paying, Seunghee's hands are finally free from the cold torture of the ice cream. But as she walked out of the convenient store, she saw Yubin giggling along with the Seungjoon guy and it didn't bother her only if Seungjoon didn't kiss Yubin's forehead before waving at them as if he didn't do a crime against Hyun Seunghee.

 

“Uhh, Yubin? Why did he kiss your forehead?” She asked, then stepped forward while taking out a handkerchief from her pocket to wipe Yubin's forehead.

 

“Seunghee-" Yubin chuckles. Seunghee pulled her hand back when she heard Yubin's soft chuckle. "That’s just something he does a lot, okay?"

 

“Wow, so he does that a lot.. okay.” Seunghee may be occupied about her love for the ice cream earlier, but now she’s rather thinking why the hell she feels jealous over a forehead kiss. I can't even casually reach Yubin's forehead.

 

JIHO.

 

Took them months before they finally did it, they're here to celebrate Christmas with the family, with Arin's whole family.. including her father. Jiho got chills running through every vein of her body as she steps foot at the house with Christmas decorations all over the place.

 

What made her swallow the invisible lump on ? Arin's father standing by the door way. He's a tall man with good body for a father in his age, and even if he doesn't look like those fathers with big muscles and stuff, he has this strong scary aura with those reading glasses.

 

Arin excitedly kissed her father's cheek and hopped towards their kitchen to greet her mom. Jiho placed the groceries they bought to the side and asked Arin's dad to bless her.

 

"Hello s-sir!" Jiho coughed after the obvious stutter. Maybe I could try being a little jumpy and excited?

 

"Don't you 'sir' me." Okay, I clearly can't. Arin's father paused and turned his back on Jiho. "I did not forget you not showing your face to me until you already asked my daughter to marry you."

 

"But you were not in town back then-" Jiho felt like it was unfair that she's being pressured when it hasn't even been ten minutes since she got here.

 

"Come with me, we have many light bulbs to change."

 

Jiho had much experience about helping the elders or particularly fixing stuff in the house. She used to be the one to clean all over her grandparents' and when she lived alone, she changed bulb lights and fixed furnitures and fixtures by herself. It shouldn't be hard.

 

But it was hard because Arin's dad doesn't talk as much as Arin does, and even if Jiho tried to ask him stuff she learned from Arin's diary, she can't talk any more because she knows he won't reply anyway.

 

"Your dad is very scary." Jiho and Arin are in the same room where they had their first kiss-- Arin and Yubin's old room. Jiho changed clothes after helping out with the house chores and all the to-do tasks Arin's dad gave her. Arin also just finished helping her mom cooking at the kitchen.

 

"He really is." Arin agreed. She slightly raised the hem of Jiho's shirt from behind to put on a towel for the older one since Jiho sweated a lot earlier.

 

"I miss my dad." Jiho whispered while Arin continued to pamper her back. The latter hummed and gently massaged Jiho's broad shoulders.

 

"What was he like?"

 

"He.. used to talk to me about life, a lot." A soft chuckle as Jiho looked back when she was a child. There are a few moments she shared with her parents she still remembers vividly but unfortunately, there are only 'few'.

 

"Sounds like someone I know." Jiho smiled, she knew Arin was referring to her. She continued telling the most remembered stuff in her head about her father.

 

"And then he would put board games on the table while we're eating, and my mom would scold him but would play with us anyway."

 

Arin stopped carressing Jiho's arm and sits beside her. "Scrabble?"

 

"Yeah." Jiho nodded. Arin smirked a little and caught Jiho curious.

 

"So that's why you love playing scrabble with the unnies." She pinched Jiho's cheek. The owner of the cheeks seemed too tired and used to her cheeks being pinched that way always. "Mm.. Mimi gives off dad vibes sometimes. Your sister's good at it too."

 

Arin chuckles knowingly and said. "Wanna know why? You're gonna have to kiss me for this." Which made Jiho lean her head back impatiently.

 

"Seriously? Just tell me."

 

"You don't want to kiss me?"

 

Jiho takes Arin's hand and kisses her lips with a bit of nuzzling, Arin giggled. "Now tell me."

 

"Me and Yubin unnie learned from dad. You can like.. play with him or something to get his heart." Arin tells her while playing her hand.

 

"Isn't he like, more of a chess player?" Jiho asks as she remembered what Arin wrote in her diary about her father being a chess player back in the days. 

 

Arin looked confused. "Have I told you that before..?" Oh no, Jiho you're being obvious.

 

"Uh, yeah? Anyway, I love you so damn much."

 

YUBIN.

 

"Seunghee-" And it's like Yubin was talking to the air when her wife disappeared into the front door of the big house she used to live in for two decades. Seunghee has been avoiding her since the Seungjoon moment at the convenient store.

 

She sighed as she followed and entered her house. She saw Jiho running down the stairs, her mom must be cooking at the kitchen. Yubin saw her dad sitting at the couch reading a newspaper and Jiho seemed to be coming to him.

 

Yubin walked to kiss his cheek and he looked at her as if asking for help that he knows Jiho and Seunghee are about to approach him.

 

"Tell them to leave me alone." Her father told her quietly and she chuckled, then shook her head.

 

"I'll go check on Arin." She says and walked upstairs. On her way there, she heard Jiho and Seunghee talking.

 

"What's that, grandma?"

 

"Seung! Oh shush- I'm gonna ask Arin's dad to play with me."

 

"Ohhh, trying to win him huh?"

 

"Yeah. I'll show him what Kim Jiho can do."

 

-

 

"What happened to you? Is that your new christmas face?" That's how Arin said hello to her sister sighing loudly after closing the room door. Like the usual, Arin's sitting on her bed and Yubin plopped on hers. It feels comfortable somehow to be back in this room. Somehow something changed because Yubin is now married and she's here in the room that reminds her of her childhood.

 

"Shut." She murmured against the pillow. "Seunghee won't talk to me because Seungjoon kissed my forehead." It's just ridiculous. She can't get Seunghee at all. The woman won't even bother kissing her as a greeting but she hates when someone else does it? And honestly, Seungjoon is just my childhood friend.

 

"He's here? And wow he still does that?" Arin laughed at her, Yubin immediately sat up and faced her younger sister.

 

"No, he's at his own home and I didn't know Seunghee gets jealous over that okay?" She tried to reason out. There's just so many things she planned to do today and it annoys her that again, she and Seunghee are being like this. I can't believe it.

 

"Why won't she? She's your wife."

 

"And she's not as showy as you and Jiho, or Yooa unnie and Mimi unnie, or Hyojung unnie." Hyejin unnie is only affectionate when she feels like it.

 

Arin continued laughing. "Aren't you the same?" She asked Yubin.

 

"I know! But.. but I want her to be.." Be what? Showy? Seunghee used to be very showy. They've been together for a long time and Seunghee's making less and less effort, or at least as Yubin can feel.

 

"So you made her jealous?"

 

"I didn't intend to." She didn't realize it would make Seunghee this mad.

 

"You're already married, don't act like highschoolers." Highschoolers? Yubin recalls how her highschool went but back then, she never thought of being with someone.

 

"We aren't acting like highschoolers."

 

"Then talk to her." It must be the hundredth time Yubin heard Arin or any of their friends tell her this. I know. I know it already.

 

And honestly, Yubin hates that she and Seunghee are the kind of couple in a circle who always fight. She hates it.

 

Then they heard their mom calling downstairs. The two looked at the door, then to each other. "She won't talk to me." Yubin stood up, Arin did as well. As they walk out of the room, Arin gave her a small pat on her shoulder.

 

"She would if you try. it's not like she's gonna avoid you for the rest of the holidays."

 

MIMI.

 

"Hi Mom! Where are you now?" Yooa's on a phone call with her mom as Mimi parks her car in front of her parents' home. Shiah's parents are coming to the Kim's residence for the Christmas party and supposedly be staying there until the morning of 26th.

 

"Hmm, okay." Yooa covered the phone's mic and whispered at Mimi. "They got stuck on traffic."

 

Mimi nodded, and stopped the car. "Text me when you're here, okay? Mimi and I just arrived."

 

After Yooa hung up, Mimi's already busy taking the bag of groceries and gifts in her arms. "Wait for me!" Yooa giggled and hopped out of her seat to help Mimi as she intended.

 

"Is your brother coming?" Mimi asks. On their way here, she's been thinking, what if they play games? With the amount of days and hours they'll be sharing a roof there should be a lot of things to do than just eat. Will our families want to play games?

 

Or should we just go to the sea?

 

"Yeah, but you know.. he's like an so yeah, whatever."

 

"Shiah! Dear, it's been a while, isn't it?" Mimi's family welcomed them as they entered the residence. The garden's been redecorated as well as the front door and it caught Mimi's attention.

 

"Wow, we've got Christmas lights on the front door too?" Mimi's grinning widely as she continued to walk inside the mansion while her family entertained Yooa.

 

"Merry Christmas, sweetie." She heard her mom speaking to Yooa after walking past her. It's amazing that they all love Yooa a lot and sometimes, Mimi doesn't know if she's still their favorite daughter. She chuckled and sat down on the living room carpet to pull out the gifts she and Yooa bought from the mall. As she placed them under the white Christmas tree at the corner, her borther Minhyuk came downstairs.

 

"Her parents are coming in a few. Just caught in a traffic." She tells him when she saw him looking around as if looking for something.

 

"Oh wow, just right in time. Mom's about to finish cooking." He says. The two siblings sit together and Minhyuk helped her setting the gifts properly under the tree. After the small-greeting-Yooa the parents had at the front door, Mimi's father said he'd go out to get some pineapple at the farm.

 

"Ah yes.. I have to go back there now." Mrs. Kim clapped her gloved hands together excitedly. "Go to your room and will you please set up the guest rooms for Shiah's parents?" She asks Mimi while waddling her hands slightly and also pointing at Yooa.

 

"Okay okay. We will." Mimi stood up from her seat and Minhyuk ran up to follow their mom. Yooa took Mimi's coat that landed earlier at the couch as they start walking upstairs.

 

"No! Don't make Shiah work!" Mimi's mother shouted from the kitchen that made the girl in subject giggle against Mimi's shoulder.

 

"Why not!" Mimi shouted back, Yooa lightly pinched her arm for shouting. Since they almost reached Mimi's room, they couldn't hear much of the elder's reply.

 

"She said you shouldn't get tired." Mimi muttered her assumption like how the usual things her mother tells her about the do's and don'ts with Yooa.

 

"Come on." Yooa chuckles and pushed Mimi into the room. Mimi's room isn't as stuffy as it used to before. No more piano and drums at the either sides of the room since they brought it to their new house. One remarkable thing that's still in this room that Yooa always and will never forget, and will not ever let Mimi bring to their room is: her spiderman collection.

 

"I told you it'll be fine." Mimi says while opening the cabinet where they stored the extra pillows.

 

"Yeah, 'cause my parents aren't here yet." Yooa responds, as if nonchalant. Mimi smiled and they both get pillows and comforter blankets in their arms.

 

"Hey. You know, after dinner, how about we get one bottle of wine and drink it here in my room?"

 

Mimi opened the door for Yooa. "..Why won't we drink it with our parents?" Yooa looked at her with a meaningful gaze but Mimi turned her back on her, chuckling. They continued to walk towards the familiar guest room where Yooa used to sleep at back when they're in college, and the same room Mimi used to sneak in at.

 

"Because they're supposed to be sleeping when we start drinking?" They walked into the room and placed the pillows and blankets at the beds.

 

"Fine. But we have to make sure this day goes right our way, and tomorrow should be fun." says Yooa. She checked her phone if there's a message from her parents but there's nothing yet.

 

"Tomorrow will be fun. We're going to the sea." Mimi answered with a smile. She got Yooa's eyes twinkling at the mention of the sea. "Really?"

 

"Yeah. Why not? It's the best we can serve."

 

"My parents are gonna love it!"

 

The couple thought it's gonna be the same bright day like how they started it. But there's one thing they didn't notice and only noticed when Yooa's family arrived. The upcoming storm raging. The competition between the two families. The hidden family feud.

 

Yubin.

 

"What's the current score?" Arin came from the kitchen, holding a bowl of chips for them as they all gathered in circle while watching Jiho and Mr. Choi's scrabble game. It's supposedly a friendly family game but the two insisted they go against each other. It's more of a competition now.

 

"79-77" Seunghee answered. Yubin looked at her from sitting across the couch. Her mom is sitting next to her father in law. Arin sat next to Jiho. Only Seunghee and Yubin weren't sitting next to each other. Holiday songs are playing on the stereo on repeat and their mother is singing along so the game is not that intense. At least for them who aren't playing.

 

"Who's leading?" Arin asks again and Yubin knew her sister is trying to figure out which and whose words were those on the board.

 

"Kim Jiho."

 

"Jiho."

 

Yubin and Seunghee spoke at the same time. They looked at each other but Seunghee quickly averted her gaze. Yubin didn't mind, she instead focused on watching but Arin and Jiho started murmuring on their seat.

 

"Uhm.. Jiho, I think you should let him win. The plan, remember?" Arin whispered. Fortunately, their mom's singing a little loudly that their dad doesn't hear them talking. Still, Yubin heard them.

 

"Yeah. I'm doing it." Jiho whispered back, eyes fixed on the board.

 

"And that's for 92!" Old man Choi clapped his hands proudly of himself when he finished all his tiles. Jiho's forehead knitted and stared at her remaining tiles, then to the board, then to her tiles again, then to the amusing laughter of the older man in front of her.

 

Jiho starts putting her remaining tiles into the board and draw her last chance of scoring. "79.. plus 23," A wild grin flexed up in front of their faces, Jiho giggled softly before continuing. "Ladies and Mr. Choi, 100 points!"

 

"Congrats." The father rests his hands on his knees then pulled himself up from his seat. The young adults and the missis stare at each other as Mr. Choi walked out of the living area and went to his room.

 

After then, Arin sighed and gave Jiho a look. Mrs. Bae excused herself and went to the kitchen. Arin took her parents' former seat and rearranged the tiles back to the spawn box for another game.

 

"What- Sorry, I got carried away.." Jiho apologized and helped Arin.

 

Yubin moved to sit closer to Seunghee. "Hey Seung-", but the latter suddenly stood up when her phone rang. She tried. Yubin tried and she's getting more annoyed as Christmas comes closer and she hasn't talked to Seunghee.

 

I can't celebrate Christmas this way. Why is she being like this? Yubin doesn't know what to do anymore.

 

YOOA.

 

Meanwhile, back in Jeju are Yooa and Mimi trying to cool their heads off and grasp the situation they didn't know would come approaching them. Apparently, have conflicts with their parents too. After the argument back in college, their parents haven’t gathered as much as Hyojung and Hyejin’s parents do.

 

"Shiah, come here and try your mom's new recipe!"

 

"Mihyun! I already put the cake on our table!"

 

Their parents called them from the dining area.

 

Now thinking about it, we should have gathered them more.

 

“This is ridiculous.”

 

“I know. I can’t believe they’re doing this.”

 

In front of them are two different tables filled with bunch of food for Christmas celebration. They’re still at Mimi’s hometown. Mimi’s parents prepared the ones on the table on the left. Yooa’s parents brought the ones on the table at the right, which the two can still remember that the table used is from the Yoo’s mansion. The couple can’t say anything – or doesn’t know how to react to this small feud gathering. This isn’t how they imagined this day would be.

 

“I told you we should’ve just did the same as Seunghee and Yubin planned.” Yooa rests her forehead on the wall of the hallway to Mimi's room. As they were speechless earlier, and that no one from both families bothered to make the atmosphere and the tables more friendly with each other, Mimi and Yooa headed upstairs to talk.

 

“Sorry! I thought we can make this work.” Mimi sighed out and leaned her back on the wall next to Yooa. She looked at the smaller girl when the phone started ringing. Yooa moved back from the wall and checked her phone screen.

 

“Hold on, Yubin’s calling.”

 

Sobbing. Yooa excused herself from Mimi and went inside Mimi's room for privacy. One don't get to see or hear or listen to Bae Yubin crying in a normal day. Yooa still feel stressed about what their parents are doing but now she knows her bestfriend needs her.

 

Yooa always had the idea of what would make Yubin sad, or to the point that she'll cry. It's Seunghee. It's only Seunghee and will always be Seunghee. So when she heard what happened, she's not surprised.

 

"I know that I have to talk to her.. But it's tiring, unnie. When are going past this?" Yooa felt bad for Yubin after knowing that Seunghee is avoiding the girl. It seemed too much. But at the same time, she didn't want to take these things only from Yubin's side.

 

She can't call Seunghee right now because she's still talking to Yubin. What could she say? In their circle, all of them knew how Seunghee and Yubin always gets daily episodes of arguments, disagreements.

 

It's the first time they're fighting because of Seunghee getting jealous and that's not because of Jiho. The Jiho story was a different case and it's already been settled.

 

"What if.. what if you're not, Yubin? I mean, what if that's just how things are and you just have to realize that not every single thing you fight about is a major problem in your life. Mimi and I have fights too--"

 

"Not as much as we do." Yubin murmured, it came out loudly on Yooa's phone speaker. She sounds so sad and it pains her. Yooa sits on Mimi's bed then removed her blacers. She stares up at the ceiling as she thinks of what should be said next.

 

"Yes, you're right. And she and I initially thought we're gonna live as a couple always fighting about mini issues we personally had but we're not like that. We have our own way of getting our issues done." Yooa explained. As she stares up from the center of the ceiling, she realized that Mimi's room isn't just a room filled with some spiderman poster.. and basic room things. It's painted dark red and white, and some thin dark green from the ceiling.

 

"Then.. what should I do? Let it be?"

 

Yooa shook her head even if Yubin can't see her. "When you two got married, she told you that she trusts you wouldn't ask her to marry you if you knew you can't go past any kind of problem that goes your way."

 

After it, she didn't hear another response but she can still hear her breathing.

 

"Talk to her, Yubin. For real, talk to her for real." Yooa whispers. Yubin said a quiet yes, and thank you to her before hanging up.

 

Yooa sets her phone down and stared at the walls of Mimi's room again, then to the floor, then to the wall above the headboard. She figured it out. The design of the room, the red and green paint..

 

It's a cherry.

 

Yooa smiled, and blushed a little. Did Mihyun paint this? She didn't notice at first but now.. it's just so romantic.

 

So she stood up, ready to open the door and give Mimi a lot of smooches when she slightly bumped to the drawer ndxt to the doorknob and a paper, a card fell on the floor.

 

It's a business card.. A business card of Kim Jiyeon-- Kei, a name she hasn't heard for a few years now. Yooa didn't get a mix of nervous and confused feelings because the woman's name was there. She felt it when she read the small note at the back of the card.

 

'Hello Mihyun! My project proposal is still up, call me? And if you do want it, hope you're prepared for a Europe trip as well! - Kei '

 

Europe..? What is this project proposal? Yooa doesn't know.

 

When did Mimi receive this offer? Yooa doesn't know.

 

Why is Mimi not saying anything? Yooa doesn't know.

 

HYEJIN.

 

After they watched the live show, Hyojung and Hyejin drove to Hyejin's parents where they're supposed to spend Christmas with both of their families. It's like giving and acknowledging blessings to and from both family members.

 

"I've already checked the next band's schedule." Hyejin whispers to Hyojung sitting next to her.

 

"Is it nearby?" The older asks, then picked up a piece of meat using her fork while looking at Hyejin's phone. Unfortunately, it's out of town and the only way to hear them live is apparently... go out of town which they don't want to do because they already planned the money they'll be spending in the next four months.

 

Unlike Mimi and Yooa's family gathering that's been very much of a chaos back in Jeju, as the two described it in their groupchat; Hyojung and Hyejin's families are getting along well. They all sat on Hyejin's parents' dining table, eating dinner that both of their mothers made for the soon to be jointed family.

 

"Unnie, can you pass me the chicken salad?" Soojin, Hyojung younger sister asked her and before she could move, Hyejin helped her out.

 

"So, Hyejin. We heard you're planning to have your wedding at your house?" Hyojung sets Hyejin's phone down beside her plate when her father spoke about their wedding plans. Truth be told, the couple has no plans telling anyone yet about their plans, even their friends.

 

"Yes, we are" Hyejin held Hyojung's hand as she spoke. "But we haven't told our friends yet." She felt a slight pinch on her thumb but when she glanced at Hyejin, the woman was just looking at her plate.

 

"Have you picked a date?" The elders continued to ask.

 

"No-" Hyojung was cut off when she tried to deny and maybe 'end' the discussion for now as they don't want the details to be so exclusive yet.

 

"April 25th, our anniversary date." Hyejin answered. Hyojung lightly pinched Hyejin's hand as a warning to stop talking but the other didn't budge.

 

"That's beautiful, Hyejin."

 

Before anyone else start asking more, Hyojung speaks up and announces. "It's supposed to be a surprise on our invitations-"

 

"Coming in two months." Hyojung glared at Hyejin. Their parents laughed while Gowon and Soojin looked confused about what was funny. Between Hyojung's two younger siblings, Gowon is the wilder and more energetic while Soojin is almost the same, but much similar to Hyojung when she's out of control.

 

"Oh, looks like you're done planning." Hyojung's mother says with a soft chuckle. They seem to be having fun interrogating the couple.

 

"Not yet.. we're thinking of asking our friends about some other stuff." It is true. They haven't had the chance to talk to their friends about the wedding but they know they're willing to help.

 

"How about after the wedding? Any plans?" After the wedding?

 

Hyojung looked at her fiancee, they never thought of actual plans after the wedding. Won't it be the same thing as now?

 

"Um.. What plans?"

 

"Well, some new married couples go out of country for honeymoon."

 

"Or some starts new business together."

 

"Some tries out new hobbies together."

 

"Some moves out of town to live a life together."

 

"Some couples like you girls adopt a child or those similar."

 

"Mom, I think Hyojung's sweating hard now." Hyejin's bother joked. Although the truth is, Hyejin can feel Hyojung's hand sweating against her palm.

 

With an awkward chuckle, Hyejin took over. "Uh.. We didn't have any plans like those in our heads right now because actually and fortunately, those are what we've been doing in the past year."

 

"She's right." Mr. Shin raised his glass towards Hyejin's direction. "My daughter's got a point." It's just very unbelievable how their parents looked like they're really enjoying this talk. Unbelievable but it's a relief.

 

"Sure, no pressure to the both of you." Hyejin's mother, who is sitting next to Hyojung gave the latter a small pat on the shoulder and Hyojung finally calmed down. She took a sip from her glass of water and then caught a glimpse of her smiling parents while waiting for her to talk.

 

"I think we're just past all those stuff and the only thing missing here is me and Hyejin being officially bonded through the wedding ceremony." Oh my god, Hyojung said that without stuttering.

 

There was a moment of silence as the family elders stared at Hyojung,  the siblings were busy with their food now.

 

"You two will be the happiest." Hyejin heard Hyojung's father saying while passing a piece of meat on her plate.

 

Of course, I'm with your daughter. Hyejin whispers in her head while lovingly watching Hyojung eat beside her.

 

ARIN.

 

"Jiho, I told you to let him win." Arin says as she picks up another tile from the board. Yubin looked at the girl in question and chuckled when she saw Jiho's offended face.

 

"What? What's wrong with me winning? I won fair and square and we tried to bond!"

 

They can't blame Jiho. After dinner, Arin and Yubin came to talk to their father. They found their dad reading a book while on his bed. Arin was the one who knocked at the door and they were told to come in. She first glanced back at her sister before walking in. Arin noticed that Yubin seemed more pale than earlier. She looked like she cried.

 

"Jiho's pride and confidence comes from her late parents, dad. She never meant to compete with you about us."  Yubin explains.

 

The siblings sat next to their father who looked stern and uninterested about what they came for. But they knew him, so as he sighed, the two girls felt relieved knowing that he's listening. "I didn't know her parents are dead..?"

 

Arin nodded, she knew that he doesn't know. So she understood, but it's time for him to try getting along with Jiho. Because I love her and I'll be with her always. "Dad, we've been together for years... and you still don't know much about her."

 

Father sets the book down on his lap and looked at his daughters as if he wants to say something but Yubin shakes her head.

 

"It's because you always avoided when we try to talk about Jiho and Seunghee." She says, wrapping her arm around his shoulder and gently patting his arm.

 

He shakes his head as well and now tries to explain himself. "I'm okay with Seunghee, her father's great."

 

"But Jiho.. she's your daughter now too."

 

Their father glanced at Yubin, asking for her thoughts. Yubin smiled and leaned her head on the man's right shoulder. Arin's cheek slowly dropped and rests against her dad's arm.

 

"There's no chance you'll meet her father like Seunghee. Does that mean Arin has to live her life knowing you're never interested giving Jiho a chance?"

 

MIMI.

 

"Is Yubin okay?" Mimi asks as soon as Yooa walked out of her room. Her girlfriend nodded but her face says otherwise. If Yubin is fine, then why is Yooa frowning?

 

"Do you have anything to say to me?" The smaller asks back instead of explaining her face. Mimi looked right into Yooa's circle eyes looking for a hint about what she's supposed to mean. She didn't find any. Am I supposed to say something about Yubin? Or is this about our parents?

 

"Nothing...? Aside from the fact that we have to do something about our families downstairs." She tells her but Yooa didn't look satisfied.

 

What else is there to say? Mimi's confused but she knows Yooa would only let this slide if she can't figure out what the other girl wants.

 

Yooa walked past her and Mimi followed silently. "Did I do something wrong?" She asks but didn't get a response.

 

Once they reached downstairs, Yooa takes her hand and lead her towards the serving table. Their families are looking at them in anticipation that they'll join their table.

 

"Get your dinner. We'll eat together." Yooa tells her and she followed as told. She grabs a plate for herself and starts picking out sets of food for her.

 

Mimi looked back at their parents who were eating silently on their tables then to Yooa. "What are we gonna do?" She whispers to the gurl still busy getting pieces of chicken.

 

"I don't know but we're not joining any of the two tables." Yooa whispers back.

 

And then, after Yooa finished taking for herself, they both realized that the only way they can eat is... to stand while eating.

 

Mimi can't let Yooa eat with such inconvenience. Not after the small confusing encounted earlier. So, she faced their parents and cleared like an almighty getting all of their eyes on her.

 

"Shiah and I.. we were very excited for this day because it's another great step we took in our relationship but it seems like it doesn't matter that much to all of you." She felt Yooa lightly pulling her shirt from behind her but she continued.

 

"I don't want this to be how we'll always be. I really love both families and I love Shiah so bad that I want our families to get along but Minhyuk and Junsun wouldn't even look at each other. Our mothers won't even share food. Our fathers won't even step up to be the men that puts the tables together. So Shiah and I will remain standing because we won't be choosing sides here. If we have to, then we'll eat here!" Mimi declared. She felt a small pat on her back from her girlfriend and she can't help but smile as she starts eating.

 

Of course they didn't actually eat while standing the whole time. Their families might have understood what Mimi was pointing about and after a few seconds, they all stood up to move the tables and fix them up together.

 

"Is this better?" Junsun asks after they sat once again and all of their family members' attentions' still on them. Mimi looked at Yooa for a moment but she was given a headshake.

 

"Um, you uh- give us a seat- aw!" Mimi was pinched on her side for getting the wrong message. Why can't I get Yooa?

 

"Y-you actually have to sit together...?" Mimi tells them- doubtly. When she didn't feel anything from Yooa's hand on her waist, she felt relieved. Their families exchanged seats and they soon joined them.

 

Yooa sat down before Mimi could help her. She wonders why. What happened inside my room? She can't get Yooa at all.

 

Yubin.

 

"Oh Yubin! What took you so long? Seunghee's father already ate all the macaronis left.." Only Seunghee's mother was there to welcome her again to the Hyun's home after her talk with Arin and their dad.

 

Yubin won't lie, she felt disappointed.

 

Walking to kiss her mother-in-law's cheek as greeting and goodnight, she asks. "Where's Seunghee? She's home, right?"

 

The elder nodded, "She's in her room, resting. Said her hands are in pain." 

 

In pain? Is that an excuse? Yubin nods anyway and she excused herself. As she went back inside the room where she first kissed Seunghee, she knew she's about to face her wife who didn't talk to her for the whole day.

 

But when she entered the room, Seunghee was sitting silently on her bed but she gave Yubin a small smile when they met each other's eyes. Yubin won't lie, her heart fluttered. "Seung.. I'm sorry about earlier. I should have known and stopped him. Honestly, he and I were just childhood friends and there's nothing more into it." She explains herself as she joined her on the bed. 

 

Yubin took Seunghee's hand but Seunghee pulled away immediately. Why..? Was it not enough explanation?

 

"Why are we always like this?" Yubin asks, a little impulsive tone but she can't help it. Seunghee is being all weird just because of that forehead kiss and she already tried to explain. 

 

Seunghee's soft-looking eyes changed and it looked like she didn't expect Yubin to raise her voice. "Do I- Do I look like I want us like this?" Seunghee asks back and Yubin shifted from her seat.

 

"You do look like you want this!" She exclaimed while avoiding Seunghee's gaze. God are we fighting again. We are fighting even more. 

 

"You can't say that!" Seunghee raised her voice as well and usually, at this point of argument, Yubin would have thrown a pillow at her to lessen the pressure but she won't this time. Just like Yooa told her, talk to Seunghee for real.

 

So, she looked at her. Yubin stood up. She faced Seunghee and stared at her eyes, and she knows she's going to cry if this continue. How can I explain to her that I don't want us fighting and she's the only one making it hard for me to understand her? 

 

"How can I not when-" Yubin was cut off. 

 

"Because what the hell, Yubin! You're not my enemy! You're my wife!"

 

And with that, Yubin dropped back on sitting on the bed. A tear dropped swiftly on her cheek from the corner of her eyes and Seunghee quickly moved closer to wipe it away with her thumb. Don't cry. Stop being a crybaby whenever you're wrong. She reminds herself but however Yubin reacts, Seunghee will still be there in front of her.

 

"I'm sorry.. okay? Sorry for acting like that. I guess I just felt  jealous and I didn't see it coming. I didn't know there's gonna be a guy on our Christmas eve." Now, Seunghee held her hand but using her other hand. Yubin's eyes wandered around Seunghee's arm then down to the hand she wanted to hold earlier. There, she saw a transparent bandage stuck on her wife's palm. 

 

Yubin wiped her tears and held Seunghee's hand, flipping it gently to see the girl's palm. "What happened to your hand?" She asks worriedly. Earlier, she thought it was just an excuse but now..

 

"It's fine. Arin's dog bit me a little this morning but it's fine." Seunghee tells her. Yubin isn't convinced.

 

She looked back at what happened this morning and realized how terrible of a partner she had been. She fought with Seunghee and got annoyed when Seunghee won't drive. She was so busy giving her attention to Seungjoon when Seunghee needed her help with the ice cream. She defended herself when she's actually wrong for getting mad the whole day.

 

"I'm sorry.. I didn't know. You should have told me." Yubin takes Seunghee's hand close to her lips and gives it a soft kiss. All day long she was thinking that Seunghee's the reason why they fight all the time. Yubin shakes the thought off her head as she kisses Seunghee's palm, muttering 'I'm sorry' again and again with her soft sobs. 

 

"It's not a big deal, okay? And it's my fault for giving you a hard time today. Shh, stop crying, alright?" Seunghee's soft smile was so close to Yubin's face that she wants to kiss her but before she could do it, Seunghee spoke again. 

 

"I know that.. That typical Yubin and Seunghee are not most of forehead kisses, we're more of forehead flicks." She says with a chuckle and Yubin smiled softly against Seunghee's hand. "I still love you though, and maybe.. just maybe, we can also openly try to be affectionate even in front of our friends. I can do that as long as you're comfortable." 


These days, it's a rare moment for Seunghee to talk this much of serious sentences. Since she's been hanging out with Hyojung and Mimi a lot recently, she happens to take things not so seriously so.. it amazed Yubin that when it comes to her, Seunghee is this genuine woman who's willing to take care and love her, no matter what.

 

"Thank you. I would love that." Yubin's eye smiled along with her lips as they hugged. She cups Seunghee's cheeks and showered her soft kisses all over her face. 

 

"Okay- Okay. I think you should be biased with my lips you know."

 

Yubin laughed and let go of her. She stood up and walked towards the door. "Hey, where are you going?" Seunghee asks from the bed and before Yubin closes the door behind her, she replied. "I'm gonna get you something for your hand."

 

The next morning, Seunghee and Yubin entered the Bae's residence with Jiho and Mr. Choi playing scrabble once again on the living room, laughing together.

 

Seunghee looked confused at the scene but Yubin wrapped her arm around her and pulled her befoer she could even make a joke about the two who seem to be having a great time and they can't ruin it.

 

"Make way! Make way!" Arin rushed from downstairs while holding her phone. No one's actually on her way, she's just too excited.

 

It's Christmas day.

 

Yubin and Seunghee sat on the free couch while Jiho paused from paying as they gathered with Arin to see the phone screen where their other friends are on a video call. Yooa's sitting beside Mimi on the floor and their families are sitting behind them. Hyojung and Hyejin seemed to be walking while Hyojung's sisters are following them.

 

"Merry Christmas!" They all greeted each other's families. Mimi and Yooa's brothers waved hi at the camera screen. Hyojung's sisters greeted them as well. They even made Yubin and Arin's father wave on the camera while Jiho's arm was around his shoulder.

 

"Seunghee unnie!" Gowon was smiling wide on the screen, calling out her favorite member. Jiho says it's because they're almost the same height and that could be the only reason why Gowon is too friendly with Seunghee. Their friends just laughed about it.

 

The girls continued to talk on the call for the rest of their Christmas morning. "You guys won't believe this, my mom and Mimi's mom..."

 

Knowing someone is understanding what kind of person they could be and what kind of person are you willing to be in order to get through them. It's not only about you. It's not a one-sided thing because what's built in that interaction is called relationship. It's a mutual agreement between those who are included, and within one's self on how they would adjust to be a better companion to one another.