Loading...41%

56%
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Thirteen

 



 



∞⇢

I LET OUT A LOUD, FRUSTRATED SIGH.

Of course, it caught the attention of the two other persons who were with me in the conference room.

Baekhyun and Choi Soojung.

They were on the opposite side of the table currently discussing my refusal to accept her suggestion by making changes to a design for a specific spot. It was obvious that she wasn’t so happy after the loud sigh I let out which made her look in my direction. She left her spot and headed to mine.

“Look Architect Kang,” She said in a mad but controlled tone. “It’s just a minor improvisation just so we won’t have a conflict with…”

“Look.” I cut her, not wanting to entertain more of her reasons. “Engineer Choi, I’m pretty sure you’re aware that even if you think it’s just a minor change, I’d have to pull another all-nighter to re-do the design right?” I added in a matter-of-fact tone. “And honestly, why would you suggest it just now? The Hamilton’s had already approved our design. What’s left for you to do now is to do your job.”

“What did you just say?” Soojung’s eyes grew wide upon hearing my last statement.

“Seolhee…” Baekhyun trailed off, giving me a look.

It was clear that he was trying to tell me to go easy on her.

“Don’t you think that we should work in the Project’s best interest here?” She caught my attention once more, making me look away from Baekhyun. “And it’s also your job to adjust the designs when the Engineers think it should be modified.”

I scoffed.

“Are you sure it’s not the other way around?” I raised an eyebrow.

She glared at me openly as if she could not believe what I just said.

“Why don’t we calm down,” Baekhyun suggested, seemingly caught in the middle. “And talk about this properly?”

However, Soojung smirked, her sarcasm was blatant.

“Is this the way how you guys do it in Europe?” She tilted her head as if mocking me. “Let me just remind you Architect Kang that this is South Korea, it’s high time you learn to adjust to the working culture here.” She ended her speech by hammering the design pad on the table, creating a loud thud.

She turned around and went straight to the door.

“Looks like someone forgot about work ethics. She is such a .” I blurted out, making Baekhyun look at me. “What?” I asked him, annoyed.

The door closed as soon as Soojung got out.

“Seol.” Baekhyun turned to me with a pleading tone as he walked to my spot. “Honestly, we’re having a hard time on this particular structure and we’re hoping we can meet halfway to find a way to fix this.”

“And I already told you,” I replied in exasperation. “What you’re suggesting is quite impossible at this point,” I explained as I took the design pad and pointed to the area where they suggested the modification. “If we modify this part even the slightest, it would affect the surrounding areas. It’s not that simple, you know that.”

It was his turn to sigh.

He took the pad from me and looked at it as if contemplating for a minute. I watched him as he thought hard and I could sense that he was having a hard time figuring things out.

I took a deep breath. I was annoyed but his reaction now got to me.

He made a step closer to me as he explained to me the details of why they were asking for the slight change. He delivered it clearly and made sure I see where they were coming from. Gosh, he was good at this.

“But you’re also gonna have a hard time modifying all these, right?” He met my eyes, making sure they convey his intention.

“You heard what I said earlier,” I answered, refusing to give in.

“Is there something I could do?” He asked, sounding desperate. “I can…I can pull an all-nighter with you and I’ll keep you company.” He suggested. “Promise I won’t even blink Seol.”

I just stared back at him.

“Why are you doing this Baekhyun?” He was stressing me out. “Just so you know, it doesn’t mean that we both agreed to be friends again, you can do stuff like this.”

“No, no, no.” He shook his head, contradicting what I said. “I’m not taking advantage of you or our newly-restored friendship here Seol.” He exhaled loudly. “It’s just that we could use your help here.” He gazed at me, his eyes pleading. “Please.”

I groaned.

“I shouldn’t have agreed to be friends again.”

“C’mon Seol, don’t hurt my feelings like that.” He stated with a hint of a smile on his lips. “We’re just desperate.”

I took a few seconds to watch him as if evaluating his sincerity.

“Fine,” I sighed in defeat. “But you have to consult the Hamiltons first. Make sure they’d allow modifications of some sort…” I paused as I saw him beaming in delight. “If you can’t convince them and don’t think it’s necessary, then you’ll have to find another solution on your own.”

“YES.” He sounded and appeared relieved. “Thank you, Seol.”

“And do you mind briefing your girlfriend on how to properly ask favors and not boss people around like what she did earlier?” I rolled my eyes, I couldn’t help it.

“Seolhee…”

“Okay fine,” I groaned. “I know she’s not your girlfriend but I don’t understand why she’s so indifferent towards me.” I reasoned out.

“I’ll talk to her.” He agreed with a subtle smile.

“Good luck with that,” I smirked at him before I turned to close my laptop.

We left the room together, took the elevator at the same time, and separated in the parking lot. His car was parked across mine where I could see Soojung already sitting on the passenger’s seat.

The urge to roll my eyes was strong as I recalled what she told me earlier.

 

∞⇢

The next day after lunch, I got a call from Baekhyun that Hamilton had agreed with the modification and that they would send me an email regarding the matter.

Indeed, I received an email from the headquarters along with Baekhyun’s team’s request. They were giving me a day to submit the modified design and have it approved. A day? I blew the tendrils of hair that fell on my face.

I immediately pulled up the design on the screen and studied the file from Baekhyun’s team. After carefully studying it, I started working on it.

Hours passed and I didn’t know how long had I been in front of my computer when I noticed the muscles on my shoulders tensed. My eyes kinda hurt too so I leaned away as I took off my glasses.

I decided to walk toward the fridge for some refreshments and just noticed that my phone was on the counter. With a glass of juice in my right hand, I checked my phone. A kakaotalk chat box message popped up on my screen.

When I checked, it was a group chat box named Baekseol&Namindae where I had been added about an hour ago. I immediately chuckled at the name they chose. I backread their conversation and found out that Naeun was inviting us for dinner at Minseok’s place to discuss some details of their wedding.

However, Jongdae already apologized for not being able to come since he had an urgent matter at work.

Baekhyun:
yeah, I’m not sure yet. I might leave the site late too.
3:56 pm

Naeun:
But Minseok and I already bought stuff to cook for dinner. ☹ You guys really can’t come?
3:58 pm

Baekhyun:
Okay, I’ll try my best. I might be late but I’ll show up.
3:59 pm

Naeun:
Thanks, Baek! You’re the best. How about Seolhee?
4:01pm

Naeun:
She hasn’t read the convo yet.
4:16 pm

Baekhyun:
I’m pretty sure she’s busy.
4:23 pm


“Of course, he should know I’m busy,” I murmured.

I checked the time on the upper right-hand corner of the screen of my phone which says 4:54 pm.

I thought for a minute, staring at my desktop. Yes, I was busy as I had a deadline to beat but imagining how Naeun would react if I also don’t show up, I feel a bit guilty. So, after a few more minutes of trying to weigh things, I decided to come to their dinner. Since the dinner would be at seven, it would be best for me to go there early so I could still work on it while we wait for the others.

Me:
Count me in. See you later.
5:04 pm


After I sent my reply, I walked to my room to get ready. I washed and decided to wear something comfortable for dinner. I went with light-colored denim shorts that reached a few inches above my knees, white ribbed sleeveless which I tucked inside my shorts paired with my white drop shoulder long sleeves button down. I finished the look with my cream platform sandals.

When I was done putting on light makeup, I let my hair down and just brought my hair clamp with me in case I get annoyed with my hair.

As soon as I got in my car in the basement, I checked the group chat once more.

Naeun:
Yay! So glad you could come Seol. See you later.
05:08pm

Minseok:
See you @Baek and @Seol, @Dae, if ever a miracle happens and you can, just drop by my place.
05:11pm

Me:
Minseok, can you text me your address? I’m about to leave my place.
5:42 pm


I waited for about ten minutes but no one replied. I thought Naeun and Minseok must be busy preparing. However, I couldn’t just wait here and not do anything. My attention darted to my laptop which was on the passenger’s seat. I need to start working as soon as I get there.

Grabbing my phone, I texted Baekhyun for Minseok’s address but didn’t get any reply. I tapped on his name in my contacts and stared at the call icon deliberating if it was a good idea to call him since he must be still working.

Thankfully, he was able to send a message the next second, saving me from my dilemma.

Baekhyun:
Are you sure you still have time to spare for dinner? I mean, I know you must be working on the design.
6:12 pm

There went his follow-up message.

Me:
Thanks for the address. And I can handle it.
6:13 pm

I placed my phone on the passenger’s seat before I drove to Minseok’s place. I used the navigator application to guide me and it took me about 40 minutes to get to his place. It was located in an uphill neighborhood. I parked my car where the other cars were before I walked toward the stairs as the place was uphill. When I reached the exact address, it was a beautiful two-story apartment house. According to Baekhyun’s text, Minseok’s place was on the second floor.

Taking my laptop with me, I climbed the stairs and as I got to his floor which was also the rooftop, I was welcomed by the cool night breeze. There was a table on the right and I could instantly imagine how nice it would be just to lay there and watch the night sky.

I looked around and saw the rest of the neighborhood. The skyscrapers we quite far but are still visible. As soon as I had taken enough of the humble view, I walked towards the door and knocked.

“Seolhee!” It was a beaming Naeun who opened the door for me and welcomed me in. “Oh thank you for coming.” She exclaimed as she pulled me into a hug before she offered slippers to use and led me inside the house.

“Well, I’m starving, I just couldn’t resist,” I answered. “And I missed Minseok’s cooking so, here I am,” I added as we both headed to the kitchen where Minseok was busy cooking.

“Babe, look who showed up first,” Naeun called him.

“Seolhee.” He smiled at me, turning from what he was doing. “Glad you could come.” He added as he went on chopping some ingredients.

“Based on the smell of what you’re cooking, I sense I would never regret coming.”

We all laughed at my remark.

“By the way,” I trailed off a bit hesitant. “While you guys cook, do you mind if I do something work-related?”

They looked at me with wonder.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized.

“So, Baek was right after all…that you’re busy.” Naeun stared at me.

“Well, honestly I have a deadline to beat,” I told them and they suddenly looked sorry. “But I don’t want to miss a great time with friends featuring good food, so I’m trying to multitask.”

“Go on,” Minseok replied. “Just work on your thing while we make sure you won’t regret coming.”

“Thanks, guys,” I replied before I left them in the kitchen.

When I got to the living room again, I took my laptop with me and chose the tiny coffee counter they had in the corner. It had a glass window in front of it, displaying the night view which complemented the space well. After wearing my glasses and turning on the laptop, I started working.

 

∞⇢

I worked on my stuff for the next hour until I heard Naeun asking Minseok if he heard from Baekhyun. When I looked back, Naeun was placing the dishes on the table. I attempted to stand up and helped her but she signaled me to just stay and continue working.

“He said he’s on his way,” Minseok replied from the kitchen.

I went ahead and resumed working. I got engrossed and had forgotten my surroundings once more. I also sent several emails to my firm back in Spain as they were consulting me about something. When one of my bosses asked if he could talk to me, I had no choice but to agree. I went out to take the call while I faced the beautiful city view.

The call lasted for about ten minutes. I got back inside right after the matter was settled and headed straight to my spot where I found Baekhyun sitting on the chair next to mine. He was wearing a plain white shirt, looking at me.  

“So, this is what you meant when you said you can handle it?” He said in a normal tone, not mocking.

“Thanks to you, I guess?” I jokingly rolled my eyes at him.

He laughed at my reaction before his phone rang. He stood as he turned around.

“This is Engineer Byun.” He placed a hand on his waist. “Yes, I’m off-site at the moment…No, everything was already endorsed to Engineer Seo, it would be best for you to contact him instead…hm…” He paused to look around and met my eyes. “No, I have something important that needs my attention right now…” He looked away, facing the door once more. “Yes, let’s just resume this conversation tomorrow. Yes, I would appreciate that. Thanks. Bye.” He bade, ending the call as he turned to me while he shoved his phone into his back pocket.

“Yah, Baekseol.” It was Minseok who caught our attention. He was standing next to the dining table, his hands full of the dishes he cooked.  “Let’s eat.” He announced. 

 

∞⇢

We both moved to the table and I just had to gasp at the amount of food they have prepared for us. I could not even begin to enumerate them in my head. I was just in pure awe as I had not seen this much Korean food in such a long time being served on the table.

“You okay Seol?” Minseok asked who must have noticed.

“Yeah,” I replied quickly. “I’m just…so happy seeing all this food right now.”

“Why?” Naeun was also quick to respond. “Have you been starving yourself?”

“No. It’s not like that.” I denied it quickly. “I mean, it had been a long time since I last saw some of these dishes.” I reasoned out.

“So, you’ve been starving yourself indeed,” Baekhyun remarked and occupied the seat next to mine.

I was about to argue with him but Minseok spoke.

“You should ask Baekhyun to cook for you, Seol.”

“Yeah,” Naeun added. “He can cook very well now.”

I looked in Baekhyun’s direction who seemed to be taking the compliments pretty well as there was a subtle smile on his mouth. I recalled Choi Soojung’s conversation with him on the phone in the elevator when she asked him to cook dinner for her.

“I remember him being good at cooking Ramen,” I answered. “Just Ramen.”

The three of them laughed at my statement as Minseok and Naeun occupied the seats in front of us.

“So, I’m not going to believe what you said about him being a good cook now unless he proves it.” I glanced at him who had an amused look on his face as he stare back at me.

“You better take on the challenge Baek,” Naeun told Baekhyun. “Prove to her that we’re not just blabbering here.”

“I’m scared that when you finally try my cooking,” Baekhyun stated. “You’d ask me to do it for you every time.” He said in a matter-of-fact tone, suppressing a smile. “You’d probably even forget about returning to Spain.”

I rolled my eyes at him, my mouth spread into a smile.

“You better be good.” 

“Try me.” He leaned closer to my spot, giving me that eyebrow raise as he finished speaking.

We exchanged looks for several seconds before I turned to look at the couple and found them fondly watching us.

Baekhyun must have sensed it too and asked everyone to start eating. 


∞⇢

About fifteen minutes into the dinner, Naeun talked about how I had to work earlier.

“It must be very challenging to be an Architect Seol.” She stated.

“Well it is but I like what I do too so that makes it bearable somehow.” I reasoned out as I unintentionally exchanged looks with Baekhyun. “But guess who’s the reason I had to take my work here?” I went on, narrowing my eyes at him.

Baekhyun laughed next to me which probably made the two in front of us wonder.

“I had to do what I had to do, you know that right?” He spoke.

“Wait,” Naeun spoke, looking confused. “Are you guys working together?”

Baekhyun and I looked at each other once more.

“Turns out that we are.” I was quick to answer.

“Oh, my god.” Naeun gasped before proceeding to laugh as she turned to Minseok. “Babe, they’re actually working together.”

“Oh damn,” Minseok responded. “So, you often see each other?”

“Well, we see each other from time to time,” Baekhyun responded.

“Wow. Who would have ever thought?” Naeun commented, still seemingly amazed at the revelation. “But hey, I remembered you telling me about another Architect joining you in this project, right?” She added and I could not overlook the twinkle in her eyes when she said it.

I knew what and who she was talking about.

“Ah, yes. Jun.” I replied casually.

“He hasn’t arrived yet?”

I shook my head.

“Babe,” Minseok caught her attention. “How do you know about him?”

“Seol mentioned him to me before.” She met my eyes. “I was just curious if he’s with her now.”

“Ah, he’s not here yet?” Minseok asked.

“Yeah, he had to finish the Germany project before he could come over here and help me with the one here.”

“Oh,” Minseok muttered. “It’s good you had someone from here to work with in Spain.”

“Yeah. I would have gone insane a long time ago if it wasn’t for him.”

“It would be good if we could meet him when he finally gets here.” He suggested.

“Sure, I’ll tell him about it.”

“By the way Baek,” He turned to Baekhyun who was busy eating. “Are you also with Soojung on this project too?”

He nodded as he took the glass of water to his mouth to drink.

I watched how Minseok and Naeun exchanged looks.

Then before the atmosphere gets quieter, thankfully Naeun found a way to keep the conversation going.

“Anyway,” She was beaming. “We finally found the venue for our wedding in December.”

I automatically smiled widely at the mention of their wedding, suddenly making me feel soft.

“That’s wonderful, you guys.”

They looked at each other dearly. Gosh, they’re so in love.

“Yes, and talking about the wedding, I’d like you to be my maid of honor Seol.” She told me with a fond look on her face.

I had to blink my eyes twice to process what she just said.

“And Baekhyun will be my best man.” Minseok intercepted.

The next thing we knew, Baekhyun and I mirrored each other’s reactions.

“Oh my god Naeun, you’re serious?” I was the first one to react verbally.

“Yeah, hyung…you sure about it?” It was Baekhyun.

The four of us exchanged looks before the couple burst out laughing.

“Of course we are.” They both chorused, their eyes beaming with joy.

 “So, please make sure you’re going to be there Seol.” Naeun held my hand. “It will mean so, so much to us.”

“Of course, I wouldn’t miss my best friend's wedding for the world.” I was moved knowing she chose me to be her maid of honor.

“What about Dae?” Baekhyun asked afterward. “Does he know about this?”

“If I could have both of you at the same time, I would. But I had already talked to Dae about this and he said you should also take the part.”

“You sure it’s not the reason why he’s not here?” He jokingly clarified which made Minseok chuckle.

“He said since Seolhee is Naeun’s maid of honor, you would be the perfect best man.”

“What do I have to do with it?” I was curious.

“Well, what we meant was,” Minseok was quick to respond. “You guys are the ones who fly overseas the most and it would be best to take advantage of the time you’re both here.”

“Is it fine with the both of you?” Naeun looked worried probably watching Baekhyun and me exchanging looks. “Does it make you feel uncomfortable in any way?”

“No,” We chorused.

“It’s fine with me Naeun,” I told her, absolutely not wanting to ruin this perfect moment for them.

“I’ll do it,” Baekhyun said. “I’d be the happiest to be the one seeing your tears closely as you watch Naeun walk down the aisle. You’d probably shed a bucket of tears and I can’t wait to witness it.”

Minseok laughed loudly.

“Great, now you probably know you have to make Jongdae your best man at your wedding, don’t you?” He told him.

Baekhyun laughed at what Minseok said.

 

∞⇢

After eating Dinner, Naeun and I washed the dishes while Baekhyun and Minseok prepared the setup outside since we decided to stay a bit longer for a bit.

“I still can’t process the fact that you and Baek are together in this project,” Naeun spoke.

“You should have seen my face when I saw a whole Byun Baekhyun enter the conference room.” I rolled my eyes. “He showed up literally out of nowhere.”

“Yes, it must have been earth-shakingly shocking,” Naeun replied, laughing. “But oh, since you’ve already met Choi Soojung…” Her eyes grew wide, anticipating my reply. 

I instantly recalled the photo on her Instagram where Soojung was with them.

“How is she?” She was curious. 

“Well,” I shrugged thinking about whether I tell her the truth or not. “She’s not always nice.”

The smile on Naeun’s face widened upon hearing my remark.

“Hm, yeah I admit she didn’t give off the friendly aura and was quite intimidating the first time we met her,” Naeun said as soon as she stopped laughing. “But she can be nice too,”

I recalled Soojung’s expressions when she was around me.

“I don’t know but she gives me this feeling like she’s mad at me like I did something wrong.”

Naeun started wiping the plates I give her and she suddenly seemed like contemplating what I just said.

“Seol?” She called me. “Maybe, just maybe…she knows who you are.”

“What do you mean, of course, she knows who I am…” I trailed off as realization hit me, getting what Naeun could have possibly meant.

“You know, maybe she knew about your history with Baekhyun.”

“And she probably thinks I’m the bad guy, right?” I asked, exchanging looks with her. “Well, maybe I was the bad guy.”

Naeun’s facial expression changed, and she fell silent.

“But hey, I’m really happy about you and Minseok,” I told her, changing the topic.

Her facial expression turned into a soft one. “I am happy too and thinking that you guys will be there, makes me happier.”

 

∞⇢

We joined the two guys right after we were done with the dishes. There were four, black, portable folding chairs facing the view. Two of which were already occupied by Minseok and Baekhyun. They had a beer in their hands as they seemed to be talking about something. Naeun sat beside Minseok while I occupied the one next to Baekhyun.

“What are you guys talking about?” Naeun immediately asked.

“Work stuff,” Minseok answered as he stretched an arm towards Naeun. “By the way Seol?” He turned to me this time. “How is it working with the famous Engineer Byun Baekhyun?” There was a hint of curiosity and a suppressed smile on his face. “Are the rumors true about him being the best in the field true?”

Baekhyun let out a small laugh due to Minseok’s question while he handed me a bottle of beer.

“Well, he’s great,” I answered, taking the bottle from him. “BUT.” I got everyone’s attention. “Guess who made me work over time.”

Minseok and Naeun’s eyes widened as they both turned to Baekhyun.

“YAH Baekhyun,” Minseok called him, eyebrows furrowed.

When I faced him, he had his head tilted down with a hint of a smile on his lips as he shook his head.

“You’re so mean to Seolhee.” Naeun seconded, clinging to Minseok.

I couldn’t help but smile while they both come to Baekhyun. When he looked up, he immediately locked eyes with me and saw the triumphant smile on my lips. He then, let out another small laugh, probably noticing how much I was enjoying this.

I lifted the bottle to my mouth to drink.

“In my defense, I already said that did it because I had to.” He reasoned out which earned an eye roll from Naeun. “And Seolhee being the best Architect that we have has to be the one to do it.”

“I’m suddenly the best Architect because I’m the only one you’ve got, for now, right?” I in with a tinge of sarcasm in my tone.

“No but really…” He gazed at me. “You’re an amazing Architect Seol.” He added before turning to the other two. “You guys should have seen her talk about the project and her designs, they’re perfect.”

The couple’s faces lit up as he praised me.

“Since they’re perfect, I wonder why someone asked me to modify them…” I couldn’t help but .

He chuckled at my argument.

“Seolhee.” He looked my way, “C’mon.”

It was my turn to laugh at his reaction.

“Okay, I’m just kidding,” I admitted.

“Have you two met again after the motocross event?” Minseok intercepted, taking our attention with him.

Baekhyun and I exchanged looks.

“Yeah,” Baekhyun answered. “I found her drinking alone at Oasis.”

“Oasis?” Naeun sounded surprised as she turned in my direction. “Of all the bars, you went to Oasis?”

“Why?” I wondered. “I have been there maybe twice. The ambiance is good so…”

The couple seemed more amused.

“Why? Is something wrong with that resto-bar?”

“No there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that place,” Minseok replied. “Right Baek?”

“I’m sorry, is there some sort of an inside joke I’m missing here?” I wanted answers. “Care to share?”

“Oasis…” Naeun spoke, glancing at Baekhyun. “Is owned by Sehun…and Baekhyun.”

Sehun? AND BAEKHYUN’S?

I became more confused rather than enlightened.

“Wait, hold up…” I tried to think coherently. “Sehun?” I stared at Baekhyun. “As in Oh Sehun?”

He nodded, responding to my question.

“I’m sorry but I wanna make sure I get this right.” I still could not process it. “We’re talking about Oh Sehun, as in your stepbrother Oh Sehun, right?”

He nodded once more.

“Wow.” I was taken aback as I leaned back on the chair, and drank before I turned to him once more. “The last time I heard you guys seemed to have despised each other.”

He took a deep breath.

“Well, I guess seven years is a long time.” He replied.

It was my turn to nod. “Right.” I agreed.

I looked at Baekhyun and then at Minseok and Naeun. And the realization just hit me, there was a lot I didn’t know about them.

“Wait.” I blurted out and suddenly remembered. “You co-own the bar?” It was when it hit me again.

“Yes.” He nodded.

“That was why you just showed up out of nowhere the last time,” I concluded as he confirmed. “Anyway, you better give me a discount the next time I come to your bar.”

Baekhyun laughed at my remark.

I may have sounded normal but in the back of my mind, I was blown away by the thought that Baekhyun owns that place with his stepbrother Oh Sehun.

I drank once more.

“How about you Seol? We don’t know much about you yet.” Minseok asked me. “Care to share?” He added with a wide smile.

“Don’t worry I don’t have some shocking revelations like I’m some expert in Bullfighting whatsoever-”

I had to stop talking when all three of them burst out laughing at the mention of bullfighting. They must have imagined me standing inside an arena with some red cloth as a bull approached.

“Bullfighting…HAHAHA.” Minseok’s was the loudest. “I almost forgot how funny you are Seol,” Minseok said, holding his stomach as if it hurt laughing.

Their laughter resonated in the quiet of the evening.


∞⇢

We left their place about a quarter to eleven. Baekhyun and I were taking the stairs when I remembered about him and Sehun.

“So, you and Sehun huh?” I muttered, starting the conversation. “Seemed like you have reconciled with a lot of people…” I paused.

He tilted his head down as if pondering what I just said.

“But really, I never would have imagined you and Sehun getting along like that to the point of owning a resto-bar together,” I said in a matter-of-fact tone. “Back in the Uni, you didn’t even wanna talk about him.”

“Well,” He shoved his hands into his jeans’ pockets. “I had gotten to know him more when we were in the States. He was there studying Business Administration since his mom is a businesswoman, you know.” He glanced at me. “We had to stay in the same place for years and maybe we both got bored when we were at home. So, we started talking and found some activities we both enjoyed doing. Later on, I realized that it was not as if he asked my dad to leave us.” He took a deep breath. “That has also gotten a family he didn’t ask for.” He was watching his steps as we went down. “That’s when it started to get bearable.”

I processed what he said. Him having to live with his father’s 2nd family. I could remember how much he resented the idea but I guess he overcome it all now.

“How old is he now?” I asked. “Sehun I mean.”

“He’s 27.”

“And is he based in Korea too?”

“Yeah, he’s here but he flies to the States from time to time since they also have a business there.”

“How about you?” I went on. “Do you have other businesses that I should know of?”

He laughed at my attempt to be funny.

“Are you sure you aren’t my landlord or something?”

He laughed louder.

“Oh dang, it!” I exclaimed all of a sudden. “My laptop! I forgot my laptop at Minseok’s. Let me go get it first.” I told him as I turned around but he stopped me by holding my wrist.

“I’ll get it instead.” He volunteered. “It’ll be faster.”

“Are you saying my legs are short?” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“What?” he looked at me incredulously. “No.” He added as he looked at my legs. “I wouldn’t say they’re short.”

“Of course, they’re not.” I agreed. “Now stop staring at them and bring me my laptop to make sure I don’t get fired by the Hamilton’s for missing the deadline tomorrow.” 

“Okay.” He said in between laughter. “Wait here.”

I watched him leave his spot and climbed back the stairs going to Minseok’s place.

 

∞⇢

By the time I was alone, I happen to check my phone and saw a message from Jun asking if I could call him back since I did miss his call thirty minutes ago. I immediately tapped on the call icon on his contact name.

It rang thrice before he answered.

“Hey Jun,” I said as soon as he picked up. “You called me?”

“Yeah, I did but you were obviously out of touch.” He said and I could sense him smiling.

“I’m actually at a friend’s place just hanging out.”

“Wow, are you sure you’re not alone?”

I laughed at him teasing me for always being alone since I got here.

“Hard to believe I have company right?” I replied, a smile growing on my lips. “Why did you call me by the way?”

“To let you know that we’ve finally wrapped up the Germany project and I’m about to go back to Spain tomorrow.”

“Really? That’s great news!” I exclaimed. “Does that mean you’ll be able to fly to Korea soon?”

“Yes, little do you know I’ll be right next to you and you’ll regret having me around.”

“I don’t care if you nag me non-stop. I’m just glad I’ll have someone to discuss things with. Plus you know that I had been bugging you so you could already come over and help me out with this project right?”

I heard him smile.

“Great. I can’t wait to work on this project with you.”

“You sound like a little workaholic when you say it that way.” I .

“Ah really?” He spoke. “Then let me rephrase that. Hm, should I say, I can’t wait to be with you?”

I laughed instantly.

“Does that sound better? Like some normal, definitely not workaholic, guy saying it?”

“Maybe.” I couldn’t help but smile at his humor.

It was just then I noticed that Baekhyun had come back and was only a few steps away from me.

“Have a safe flight, Jun. I’ll see you in a few days.”

“See you soon Seol, you take care.”

“I will. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I placed my phone back inside my bag before I turned to Baekhyun to get my laptop from him.

“Thanks.”

He just nodded.

We were quiet until we reached the street. We passed by our cars since we had drunk and driving wasn’t a good idea. We headed to the main street where we could hail a cab.

“Soojung…” I muttered as we were walking under the light posts in the middle of a quiet street. “Does she know about me?”

We exchanged looks.

“I mean about what happened before.”

He cleared his throat.

“Well, honestly.” He met my eyes once more. “She does.”

“I see.”

“I see, what?”

“I see why she seemed mad at me,” I said. “She probably thinks that I’m the worst person to have entered your life.”

“That’s not true.” He contradicted as he looked away. “But really, Soojung is a nice person.”

“To everyone probably, not to me,” I commented. “Does she even know you’re friends with me again?”

“Yeah.” He nodded. “And she’s not very happy about it.”

“Of course, she isn’t,” I smirked as I couldn’t help it.

 

∞⇢

We were waiting for the cab at an empty shed. Since it was just the both of us and we kind of ran out of things to talk about, an awkward silence filled the space between us and we either kept on exchanging looks with each other or avoid each other’s eyes.

“I’m sorry.” I heard him apologize which caught my attention right away. “For making you work on the modification.”

I immediately could not suppress a small laugh as I watched his facial expression. He must have felt guilty after all the teasin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter