Loading...62%

56%
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Eight


 


 


∞⇢

WE GOT BACK TO THE LAKEHOUSE.

As soon as he turned the engine off, I hopped off his motorcycle. I watched him do the same thing and dedicate a whole three seconds to watching him remove his helmet off his head. Then I glanced at the house and saw Luna walking towards the front porch who seemed to have gotten back from the dock.

Seeing her from afar, I realized that she was still in the picture. Along with this realization came the fact that I still didn’t know why she was here in the first place. Why did Baekhyun take her here?

Baekhyun was already in front of me, and helped me take my helmet off.

“Why did you bring Luna over?” I asked, absent-minded

I watched him hesitate as he gave his lower lip a quick bite after he successfully took my helmet.

“You said you have been in love with me for so long, so why are you with her?” I added, my voice still calm.

He buckled the helmet and hang it on the handle of the motorcycle. His attention briefly landed on the house it was probably when he noticed Luna and made eye contact with her.

As they did that, there were so many questions lining up in my mind but I chose to wait for his response.

Facing me once more, he momentarily tilted his head down before exchanging looks with me again.

“She knows.” He uttered, quietly.

I raised an eyebrow as I began to feel confused all over again.

“What?” I muttered, not sure if I heard him right. “What do you mean she knows?”

He took a deep breath as if mustering courage before answering me.

“She knows how I feel for you.”

Wait. What?

“She knows how you feel for me? What?!” I gulped, shaking my head sideways as my mind refuses to comprehend. “When?” I frowned.

“Since she came back.” He replied cautiously. “No.” He shook his head. “Maybe even before that.” He added.

What the hell is happening?

“Wait.” I brought my hand to my head to brush my hair away from my face and to buy some time to be able to form coherent thoughts. “Since she came back…Maybe even before that?” I reiterated as I try and process it all in because he wasn’t making sense again.

I even glanced at Luna who was watching us from where I last saw her.

“Seol…” He trailed off as he reached to grab my hand.

I immediately retrieved my hand from him. I shot him a perplexed look.

“If she knew, then why…” I paused as I recalled the times they seemed so in love. “At the dock when I saw her hold your hand, you were looking at each other like…” I cleared my throat being reminded how painful that was for me to see. “And during our first night here, in the bonfire… she told us that you were trying to figure things out between you two…” I walked away to try to understand every bit of information in my head only to come back in front of him. “Did you play her?” I asked.

He was about to open his mouth to say but I was quick to cut him.

“But you-” I paused, my forehead creasing. “But you said she knows about how you feel for me.” I went on as I thought hard. “She knows, you said she knew as soon as she came back…so it means that she was already aware before the trip, right?” I let out a sigh. “Then why are you two acting like…”

Then it dawned on me. It hit me like some giant asteroid hitting the face of the Earth. My mouth parted in realization.  

“Were the two of you just putting on a show?” I gulped.

He looked guilty as soon as he heard me.

“Seol, I’m sorry.” He apologized right away, coming near me. “Please let me explain.”

Oh my god, so all this time…while I was quietly suffering because of them being all sweet and stuff…The number of times my heart seemed to have been shattered because of the sight of them together…

“Oh god.” I shook my head before I scoffed. “I’m so stupid,” I remarked, biting my lower lip, feeling ashamed of myself.

“Seol, no that’s not what I…” He advanced to hold me once more but I stepped away.

I didn’t want him to hold me.

“I’M SO ING STUPID.” My voice was louder, anger building inside of me.

I could feel my cheeks and ear burning as I scolded myself for being so dumb. My anger was about to peak, my heart beating so loud in my chest. I balled my hands into fists which I was sure he saw.

“Seol, please listen to me…” He was able to successfully hold me this time. “I promise that wasn’t our intention, okay?” There was pleading in his tone.

Nonetheless, I shoved his hands away for the nth time.

“Our?” I repeated with disgust. “So what did you two intend to do, huh?” I added with evident sarcasm. “Did you have fun…Did you intentionally do it to what…hurt me?” I sighed. “You wanted to shove it my face that…” I bit my lower lip once more, recalling that he knew that I liked him back when he and Luna were a thing in High School. “You want me to get reminded how you two ing look good together while I stay in the sideways?”

I watched him shake his head sideways, looking desperate to be heard.

“Seol, I won’t do that…”

I wanted to yell at him but I suddenly felt a lump in my throat. Suddenly, there was an intense urge to cry.

“Had I known that you would use it against me, I shouldn’t have told you that I liked you back then.” I swallowed, momentarily shutting my eyes closed. “What an you are.” I went on with gritted teeth.

He shook his head once more.

“No Seol… I swear it’s not like that.” He sounded downcast.

However, I was already furious to even listen to him. Just seeing his face made me feel pathetic.  

“I can’t believe you played me like this Baekhyun.” I scowled at him. “YOU. Of all people,” I added, making sure he sensed how much I despise him.

My mouth formed into a downward curve as I felt an excruciating pain that wasn’t physical which I had to dismiss in a millisecond.

“I admit that I’m stupid, I’m a jerk…an -”

“YES, you are.” I agreed, firmly, throwing dagger looks at him. “You’re the worst person I know.”

He flinched like what I just said came knife-stabbing.

“But I love you.” He told me, his mouth subtly forming into a downward curve before he made hasty steps to reach for me.

“Don’t touch me Baekhyun!” I protested, pushing him. “Don’t ing lay even a finger on me.”

My face had turned another level of hot as I was enraged. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears like the blood flowing through my veins were lava.

Then I happen to dart my attention back to Luna who was standing a bit closer to us now. She looked guilty, sorry even. My god…she and Baekhyun… I had never felt more stupid in my life.

“You say you love me?” I asked as I went faced him. “Huh?”

“Yes.” He muttered, his eyes filled with plea.

I scoffed, letting out a small laugh.

“Biggest ing joke of the year.”

He leaned closer to me as he attempted to pull me into a hug but I pushed him by the chest.

“No Seol, I ing swear I love you-”

“THEN KEEP YOUR ING LOVE ALL TO YOURSELF!” I yelled with passion. “I DON’T NEED IT!!”

He sighed as he tilted his head down in defeat like the thing he was scared of the most was unfolding before his very eyes.

I turned around to leave him, angry tears pooling in my eyes.  

“Seol, I’m sorry please…”

It was the last thing I heard from him as I distanced myself.

When I passed by Luna, she tried to stop me, seemingly wanting to defend Baekhyun.

“Seolhee, I can explain…” She hesitated as she tried to hold my arm. “It’s not his fault…”

“Don’t ing touch me,” I threatened her with a glare, my hands balled into fists.

It was all it took for her to back out.

I went inside the house and it was thankfully empty. I didn’t want to explain to myself why I was a crying mess. I directly went upstairs and cried my heart out in my room.


∞⇢


It turned out that the rest of the guys were at the dock hanging out at the time Baekhyun and I got back to the Lakehouse.

I skipped the usual alfresco lunch. My eyes were puffy from crying and I was both mentally and emotionally incapable of explaining why. I didn’t wanna worry the others, so I decided to send Naeun a message telling her that I wasn’t hungry and I was dealing with some period pain.

The truth was, I wanted to be left alone until the next day. No, actually if I could be brutally honest with them, I wanted to leave. I could not bring myself to see Baekhyun again…or Luna.

However, I didn’t want to be selfish. This trip wasn’t for me alone, we had other friends with us and I didn’t want to burden or punish them for whatever Baekhyun did.

When we had dinner that night, I made sure to sit the farthest from Baekhyun and Luna. I also had to consciously avoid looking at them. I could feel him staring at me but I was determined not to meet his eyes. Never.

It’d be absurd though if I said that none of our friends noticed. Of course, they would have but for some reason, no one dared talk about it. No one mentioned or asked which I was grateful for. It was even obvious that Jongin sensed that something wrong happened during my talk with Baekhyun. However, being the sensible person that he is, he chose to give me space.

I did not join the bonfire session as well by openly telling them that my period was being an extra nuisance this time. If they believed me or not, I guess I shouldn’t care much at all.

I went upstairs and spent the rest of the night in my room. I shut the curtains closed and turned off the lights. I crouched in my bed under the sheets. Closing my eyes, the first thing I thought of was Baekhyun’s confession, the kiss we shared…then as if it was all nothing but a prank, I recalled his scheme with Luna. Biting my lip, I forced and scolded myself not to cry anymore.

I pressed my eyes closed and ignored the sinking feeling behind my chest.
 

∞⇢


I wasn’t sure what time it was when I heard gentle knocks on the door. It was still very dark and I didn’t have plans to check who it was. I dreaded it would be Baekhyun.

I noticed the knockings discontinued, so I shut my eyes closed once more but my phone rang on the bedside table. The light coming from it screamed inside the dark room, allowing me to read the name of the person calling.

BAEKHYUN.

I stared at it, only stared at it, until it stopped ringing. It rang once more and I just repeated the whole process. Then he stopped calling and I thought that he must have given up. I bit my lip, I could just imagine how he must be feeling right now but that’s honestly none of my business. I was determined not to care.

Then my phone beeped, indicating that I received a message. There was a debate in my head about whether to check it or not. I shouldn’t, I concluded as I covered my head with my blanket.

After a few minutes, my phone beeped once more.  I sighed, as I stretched my hand to get my phone.

Squinting my eyes, it was 2:31 AM. I thought everyone else must be asleep by now. There were two messages from him.

Baekhyun:
Seol, I’m right outside your door. If you’re awake, can we please talk?
02:19 AM

Baekhyun:
You’re right I’m the worst person. And there’s probably nothing my stupid brain could come up with to make you feel better. But I love you Seol. You probably don’t want to see me not talk to me and I should be giving you all the space you need after what I did but I can’t think properly.
2:30 AM
 


I closed my eyes. I hated how a few days earlier, I was confused because of the way he acted around me sending me mixed signals. But now that he had finally told me about how he felt for me…I felt like crap. I was about to put my phone back on the bedside table and not deal with the bull anymore when it beeped again.

Baekhyun:
I wanted to tell you that day when I asked you to meet me on the court after the match.
2:37 AM

Something crept into my heart when I read his message. I recalled the time when we were in the locker room and how he already left for the match but came back real quick and told me that he had something to tell me.

I unconsciously sat and leaned my head on the bed rest. I turned to the door, fully aware that he was still right behind it. I took a deep breath, using my rational being to stop myself from doing something moronic.

Beep.

Baekhyun:
I should have told you that day in the court. Then maybe it wouldn’t have turned out this way.
2:41 AM

Baekhyun:
Maybe you wouldn’t have despised me as you do right now.
2:43 AM

Had he told me that he loved me that day, things would have probably been entirely different right now. But if he did, how would have I responded to it?

Ten minutes passed, and I wondered if he left already.

Baekhyun:
Had I not been a coward…I would have told you as soon as I realized that I didn’t wanna settle to be just your best friend. I wish I told you years ago about that one night I couldn’t sleep and after hours of not being able to dictate my head to stop thinking about you, it hits me. I got off the bed all of a sudden and said , I’m in love with Kang Seolhee.
2:56 AM

Baekhyun:
I would have let you know that there were nights I’d walk towards your house and stayed there convincing myself to confess to you. How it went on for years. There were times when Gramps or your father would see me and I had to make all sorts of excuses as to why I was there.
3:04 AM

I remembered the times Gramps would tell me that Baekhyun was outside the night before but I thought he was just making stuff up. So it was true, Gramps wasn’t lying?

Baekhyun:
When I found out that you liked me in High School, I wanted to go running to Coach Choi and ask him to give me his best flying kick. That was how much I regretted it.
3:06 AM

Baekhyun:
I have so much I want to tell you Seol and I’m desperate to talk to you. But I know that it must be the opposite of what you want right now.
3:09 AM

Baekhyun:
But I love you, Seol.
3:15 AM

Baekhyun:
I love you.
3:23 AM


∞⇢
 

4th day

I was not able to fall back to sleep after his texting spree for about an hour. I decided to get up early. Way earlier than everyone else. At 6:30, I took a walk at the dock. The morning wind was cold but friendly. Nonetheless, I took a duvet and wrapped it around my body.

We were going home tomorrow. I thought this trip was going to be all fun but somehow it had made a different turn. Never have I imagined that something like this would happen between Baekhyun and me. We were supposed to be each other’s ally but now, I ended up not wanting to even look at him.

From time to time, I’d remember what took place in the flower fields yesterday. Hearing him tell me that he had been in love with me for so long brought temporal joy, confirming that I had indeed never stopped caring for him more than a friend ever should.

But whenever I thought about his stupid act with Luna, I just... I sighed. I hated how he knew fully well that I liked him back when he was with her and it seemed like he had rubbed it in my face again this time. But if he said he love me now…I took a deep breath as I shook my head sideways wanting to immediately suspend the thought.

Feeling resolved, I wanted to pay more attention to others. I didn’t want to ruin this trip for them. If I had to pretend that nothing happened, I would. I think I could endure whatever I had to for them.

I spent the next few minutes in silence, mentally closing the tabs in my head when I heard footsteps approaching me.

“Good Morning, Princess.”

Relief washed over me when I realized that it was Jongin. When I turned to him, he has a warm smile on his face.

“Which Princess am I supposed to be this time?”

He chuckled at my question.

“You’re all of them combined and yet still better.” He answered.

His remark earned an eye roll from me before I let out a small laugh.

“Do you feel better now?” He asked after a few seconds. “Does it still hurt?”

I wondered, shooting him a confused look.

“Naeun said you had period pains yesterday.”

Ah. That.

“I thought it must have been so painful because you seemed to have been crying.”

I avoided his eyes, wishing he wasn’t as honest as he was right now.

“Yeah.” I lied, modulating my voice so he wouldn’t sense that I was lying. “And I feel like giving you a punch for not having to go through that ever.”

He grinned and smirked at my response.

“If I were your boyfriend, I’d never let you suffer alone.” He replied with an amused tone.

“What could you possibly do?” I asked him, wanting to make the conversation flow as casually as possible.

“Hm.” He pondered. “I’ll take care of you of course by making sure I have pain relievers ready or I could buy you food you wanna eat…”

I laughed midway which made him give me a perplexed look.

“Tell me now which women’s magazine did you read that from, huh Kim Jongin?”

He chuckled, shaking his head sideways.

“You’ll be surprised by how much I know.” He answered. “But to answer your question, I used to kill time reading all of my older sister’s women’s magazines.”

“What, that’s crazy,” I remarked. “What did you that for?”

“I don’t know,” He shrugged. “Maybe so I could be the best boyfriend…for you? If you wanted to.”

I knew exactly what he was doing here and if I didn’t want him to ask questions about how my talk with Baekhyun went, I’d have to be smart with my replies.

“I could be the worst girlfriend you know.”

“That’s not possible.”

I’m convinced that this guy just knows what exactly to say.
 

∞⇢

9:22 AM

I got down after taking a bath and sensed that there was something going on in the living room.

“What’s going on?” I asked, wondering.

As I got their attention, I noticed Luna was seated on the couch and looked worried like something was bothering her.

“It’s Baekhyun.” She was the one who answered.

It was just then I noticed that he was not in the room.

“What happened to him?” I asked, trying to sound casual.

“He’s gone,” Luna replied.

My brain lagged for a millisecond. Gone?

My forehead creasing, I looked at Minseok for an explanation.

“He’s gone somewhere and we don’t know where he went.” He explained. “Did you see him?”

“No, I haven’t,” I answered briefly.

Luna let out a loud sigh, taking all of our attention to her. She covered her face with her hands. I observed her, for someone who’s pretending, she seemed very engrossed with the character she was playing.

“It’s okay Luna, he must have gone somewhere nearby.” Naeun went to sit next to her and gave her back a gentle rub.

I suddenly got so stressed with the fact that the guys didn’t have a single clue about the show Baekhyun and Luna put up.

“Did you guys fight or something?” Minseok asked Luna.

“No, we didn’t.” She replied, her eyes traveling to me.  

“What was the last thing he told you about?” Naeun added.

“Nothing, before I went to my room last night he told me that he’ll stay outside to do some thinking.”

“What’s he have to think about?” Naeun asked.

Luna made eye contact with me once more and I hated it.

“What if he jumped on the lake and drowned?” Jongdae intercepted his loud remark surprising all of us.  

“YAH! KIM JONGDAE!” I exclaimed, scowling at him.

I also unconsciously shot him a glare as I didn’t like his joke.

“I’m just kidding okay, I only said that because that is the farthest thing that could ever happen. He’s a varsity swimmer remember?”

“Well, your joke isn’t funny Dae,” I told him plainly disappointed at his humor at the moment. 

“I’m sorry.” He apologized making a step back from me.

“Are you sure he didn’t say something to you guys? I must admit he looked quite distracted last night, I caught him spacing out a few times.” Naeun asked. “Seol?”

I didn’t say anything as I noticed how Luna looked at me, then Jongin as well.

“Why would you ask me?”

“Because it’s Baekhyun,” Luna answered in a matter-of-fact tone, sounding stressed. “They’ll ask you of course Seolhee, you’re the one who he confides the most.”

“Well, I don’t know where he is, okay?” I answered annoyed at how she phrased her sentence. “And obviously you were the one he’s mostly with lately how would I know?” I reasoned out.

It was too late for me to take back what I said and how I said it when everyone fell silent.

“Seol, Luna’s just worried,” Naeun told me.

“And I’m not?” I responded, not meaning to sound sarcastic but it seemed to me that she took Luna’s side for a second and I was offended.

Everyone must have felt the tension between us.

Minseok cleared his throat.

“Okay, there’s no need for us to fight, okay.” He reminded. “Let’s just think of a way to find him. I’m sure he’s somewhere near.”

I immediately felt Jongin’s presence next to me as he gave my back a gentle pat as if telling me to relax.

“You okay?” He asked, as quietly as possible.

I subtly exhaled before I nodded at him.
 

∞⇢


I went back to my room and immediately went to get my phone. I checked and found the last message I got from him at 3:23 in the morning.

I bit my lip, thinking hard about whether to call him or not. I was still deep in my thoughts as I stared at my phone when I heard someone from the door which I had left open.

“There’s no use calling him.” It was Luna, she said before she made a few steps inside my room and stopped next to me. “He left his phone.” She added as she placed his phone on my bed.

Why would he leave his phone? I wanted to verbalize it but Luna was able to speak first.

“Now you see why I’m worried?” She asked, pausing to look at me in the eye. “Last night he kept telling me that he wanted nothing else but to talk to you. You were all he ever talked about.”

She looked like she still had something to say but chose to leave.

I inhaled to fill my lungs with air as soon as she left. My eyes darted to his phone on my bed and I sensed how guilt slowly crept into my system.

“Where did that jerk go without his phone?” I muttered in frustration.

I took his phone in my hand, tapped on the screen, and was instantly asked for the pin. I didn’t know why but I suddenly felt the need to open it. I entered his birth date combination but it turned out wrong. I thought hard for a moment and the next second entered my birthdate combination.

His phone was unlocked.

I momentarily closed my eyes at the realization that he chose my birthday as his pin.

“Is he crazy?” I said as I opened my eyes and darted my attention to the phone and was bombarded with his home screen wallpaper.

It was a photo of us together. The one was taken during our last year in High School. I recalled the exact moment he took the photo. We were running on the field that afternoon and when we got tired, we ended up lying down. I remembered him taking burst photos of us from that angle as we laughed because of a joke he cracked.

The photo he chose was one where I was laughing with my eyes closed and he was staring at me, a proof of laugh on his face as well.

Oh my god. I had never seen this photo before. This was back in High School, did it mean…

I threw my body on the bed and placed a hand over my forehead.



∞⇢
 

Another hour passed yet there was still no sign of Baekhyun anywhere. Naeun and Jongdae went around the nearby areas and looked for him but didn’t find him.

I called her mom just to ask if Baekhyun went home but she said that he wasn’t there. I had to convince Auntie that everything was fine when she asked me if something bad happened to him. In the end, she told me to give her a call once we find him.

Minseok and I decided to take the car and look for him. Fifteen minutes into the ride, we passed by the yellow fields where Baekhyun and I had been yesterday. Memories of how he pulled and kissed me at the location made took a deep breath and exhale loudly.

I bit my lower lip hard as I tried to keep myself calm, not wanting Minseok to sense that I was about to go crazy any minute now.

“Jongin mentioned yesterday that you and Baekhyun talked,” Minseok spoke.

I immediately turned to him, not knowing how to respond to his question.

“What did you guys talk about?”

“Nothing,” I replied quickly and briefly.

Minseok seemed skeptical for sure before he turned to the road once more.

We drove for about ten more minutes and found the convenience store where Jongin and I bought stuff on our first day at the Lakehouse. He wasn’t there, though Minseok asked the staff if there was a place someone could stop by around here.

The male cashier said that there was a local bar five minutes away. We went to the said bar. As soon as we got there I got off the car and went towards the entrance. There was a CLOSED sign on the door, of course as it was still too early for the bar to operate.

The door chime clanked as I pushed the door open nonetheless. The bar was small, cozy, and dim inside. A staff who was cleaning immediately exchanged looks with me.

“I’m sorry I’m looking for someone….” I trailed off as I saw the male staff point to his right.

“Him?” He asked.

I followed the direction he was pointing to which was on the table in the corner. Of course, it’s him. He was unconscious, resting his head on his arms on the table. In front of him were several bottles of beer. I went towards him and stood next to the table. He was wearing one of his black Supreme shirts, pants, and shoes. His grey button-down was right next to him on the chair.

I scoffed, I couldn’t believe we all got worried about him yet he was here sleeping after getting drunk. I wasn’t able to even move a muscle and bring myself to wake him up as I heard Minseok walk in.

“Seol, is he here-” Minseok’s question was left unfinished when he saw him. “What the hell is wrong with this guy?” He added, walking towards us. 

“He came in at around five.” The staff said. “We tried to wake him up but he seemed pretty drunk so we just let him sleep here.”

“Thanks,” Minseok told him before he left us.

Minseok clicked his tongue before he turned to me.

“You sure there’s nothing you talked about?” He asked me. “Cuz this doesn’t seem like nothing.”

“Yeah.” I lied once more.

“Then it must be Luna.” He sighed. “Again.”

“I’ll wait for you in the car,” I told Minseok as I turned around to leave.

I wasn’t sure what to do by the time Baekhyun sees me.

I waited in the car and saw how Minseok and Baekhyun walked out of the bar. Baekhyun was walking alone and he had his hand on his head like he was having a terrible headache. Minseok told him something I couldn’t hear of course and he just nodded.

When they were headed to the car, I looked the other way. He must have seen me as he approached but I made sure that I don’t meet his eyes. He occupied the back seat and I heard him grunt as he sat. His hangover must be killing him right now.

I watched Minseok call someone on his phone. He probably wanted to let the other know that we found him.

“Dae. We found him.” Minseok informed Jongdae. “Yeah...go tell Luna.” He nodded. “He still has two arms and two legs…yes, okay, I’m driving us back there.”

He placed his phone on his lap before he got the bottle of water from the dashboard and gave it to Baekhyun. He must have taken it as the next thing I heard, he was already drinking it.

I knew very well that Minseok could sense the animosity between us but chose not to say anything about it.

“Okay, let’s go back,” Minseok announced before he revved the engine.

We were silent the whole time we drove back except for the times when Minseok threw a few questions at him.

“How did you get to the pub?”

“I walked,” Baekhyun answered, his voice sounding raspy and exhausted.

“What? You crazy?” Disbelief was written on Minseok’s face.

“Yeah.” He answered briefly.

“You could have just drunk in the hou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter