Prologue: The Rise and Fall of the Moon & Sun

The Lies in Paradise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Four Years Ago..*

", , , , ." Kim Yong-sun cursed under her breath. Her short legs trying their best to carry Yong-sun through the snow. Her long brown hair in a tight bun that was becoming unraveled by her fast movements. Curses escaped her pretty lips as she rushed into the warmth of the building. A deep sigh coming out of her as she felt sudden warmth from the company's lobby. She worked as a costume designer for a small and upcoming film company. Yong-sun was new to the job, only having been there for three weeks and this was her first time being late. She felt the shame rush in as she managed to get to her shared office space. She quickly stripped herself of her long padded coat. Her feet stomping on the ground to rid her boots of the snow. She pulled her long brown hair out of its bun, sighing heavily as she adjusted the sleeves of her sweater. This was the wrong day to be late. Filming for the film was going to begin and she still had to be there to get the actors and actresses into their costumes. 

She hoped no one noticed that she was late as she smoothed her hands over her sweater. She wore an emerald green turtleneck, black denim jeans, knee high snow boots, and a diamond necklace from her mother. Another string of curses came out of Yong-sun's lips as she rushed towards her desk to grab her notes. She also grabbed her signature pen that had a sun on the top. It had been a gift from her mother for getting the job. Yong-sun smiles from the thought of it. She took a deep breath and rushed out of her office to the medium sized set. The company still small enough to have most of their sets in the same building.

Yong-sun's face heated up as she felt the eyes of everyone on her, especially the eyes of the director, Moon Byul-yi. Yong-sun tried to remain confident, holding her back straight and her chest out. Her head held up as she took a quick yet gentle stride towards Byul-yi. Byul-yi wasn't just the director but also the founder and CEO of the company. While the various women swooned over Byul-yi, Yong-sun found herself impartial to Byul-yi's charms. Yong-sun was only focused on moving higher up in the field of costume designing. Her hopes to be able to design costumes for huge products and even music videos. Yong-sun felt her confidence waver as Byul-yi stared at her with an intense gaze.

Byul-yi for the most part was pretty lenient, but she could not help but feel annoyed by Yong-sun's casual stride. She hadn't even came in bowing with apologizes to the staff for being 30 minutes late. Byul-yi had gotten impatient waiting for Byul-yi and insisted that the actors dressed themselves; but that plan fell out the window because the costumes did not look right. They all had to wait for Yong-sun to come before filming. Byul-yi her lips as Yong-sun stood in front of her, her arms crossing over her own chest as Yong-sun bowed quickly.

"I'm sorry that I am late." Yong-sun said. 

"Don't just apologize to me, apologize to everyone else as well." Byul-yi dismissed. 

Yong-sun felt her face grow even warmer. The harshness of Byul-yi's tone smacking her in the face. Yong-sun forced herself to swallow down her frustrations, she turned in the direction of the actors and filming staff. She apologized to them as well and quickly got to work with fixing the costumes on the four actors. Some of them had swapped the accessories and another one had accidentally broken the belt to her costume. It made Yong-sun internally groan in frustration, but she didn't let her annoyance be seen. She simply took the belt and tossed it aside. No one would notice that the belt is missing. It was just to bring the costume together, to make the dress on the actress fit more snugly. Yong-sun knew to regular people, the dress would not be much of a deal. But Yong-sun felt frustrated with the lack of it. She stepped back as Byul-yi barked out her commands and sat in her director's chair.

Yong-sun remained to the side as filming began, her eyes watching the actors as they worked through the scene. She held her breath, her fingers crossed behind her back that everything looked okay. Her teeth nibbled into her bottom tier, her eyes seeing what everyone else saw. The dress did not look good without the belt. The dress was too flowy on the actress. The belt was what brought the dress to life on the actress and showed off her assets. Yong-sun was hoping it was not too noticeably bad but as Byul-yi called out "cut!" Yong-sun knew she was in it for one. 

"Yong-sun, could you come here?" Byul-yi asked not even rising from her chair. 

"Damn." Yong-sun mumbled under her breath. She held her hands behind her back as she rushed over to Byul-yi, her eyes and expression neutral. She did not want to show any signs of stress. 

"Something is off with her dress." Byul-yi said, looking up at Yong-sun. 

"Oh, the belt uh broke. I could fix it but it would take about 15 minutes." Yong-sun responded.

Byul-yi let out an audible sigh, her eyes flickering at the set and her actresses. They had already lost 30 minutes of filming, another 15 would seriously cut into Byul-yi's plans for filming. It was too much extra time and a loss of money. She simply waved her hand dismissively at Yong-sun, turning back to the set with a nod of her head to let the filming begin again. Yong-sun held in her urge to roll her eyes. She knew she had no right to be mad at Byul-yi, but she felt personally attacked by the dismissive wave of her hand. It was the fact, Byul-yi was younger than her. Yong-sun was the senior, but she received this treatment because she was simply under Byul-yi's company.

Yong-sun tried to weigh her options in her mind. She could tell Byul-yi off, get fired and go back to working at a restaurant; or she could swallow down her pride and go to fix the belt. Yong-sun chose the latter option as she crossed the room and picked the belt up from the ground. This was the only costume designing job, she had managed to get in a long time. Yong-sun had taken a year hiatus from the career to help take care of her sick mother. Her mother had been diagnosed with cancer and Yong-sun had dropped everything to be there for the woman as she battled chemo. When they found out her mother went into remission, her mother insisted on Yong-sun going back to the career. 

The problem was that Yong-sun's portfolio and credentials weren't the best. She had only worked on a couple of theater projects and a couple of small time music videos. She had to basically start over from scratch. Yong-sun had only found out about Byul-yi's company through an online job AD. She was a bit skeptical about working with such a small time company, but she did not have much of a choice. It turned out Byul-yi was at least backed up by a successful father. Mr. Moon was a popular director known for his gory horror films. Byul-yi had chosen to start her own company with little to no help from her father. Yong-sun applied for the job with the hopes of getting into Mr. Moon's company. 

Yong-sun went into her costuming room and let out a deep sigh. She definitely did not win any points with Byul-yi today. Yong-sun could feel tighten with the urge to scream out. Why was Byul-yi like that? She was so freaking cocky and annoying to Yong-sun. It had only been three weeks since Yong-sun got hired, but from day one Yong-sun had felt annoyed with the young director. It was the way she spoke so informally to Yong-sun even when she found out Yong-sun was older than her. Yong-sun even watched how the director flirted with different women. She found it disgusting, as if Byul-yi was abusing her position of power. But once Yong-sun found out the women under the company loved the greasy pickup lines, it made Yong-sun gag. Byul-yi really thought she was a hotshot. 

"Stupid punk. Ugh, she could have at least been more respectful." Yong-sun muttered under her breath, as she worked on sewing the buckle back onto the belt. Yong-sun felt stressed out by the fact, that Byul-yi refused to get another costume designer. Yong-sun hadn't minded working alone but within the second week, she found herself running around like crazy to design the costumes and shop for them. Yong-sun had seen that Byul-yi's main concerns were on actually filming and getting the actors to express her art. The costumes were just as important as the filming and directing. It made Yong-sun curse even more under her breath, who honestly put such a young brat in charge? 

Byul-yi was 21 and Yong-sun was 23. 

"You're barely even legal." Yong-sun muttered under her breath, tossing her long brown hair over the back of her shoulder. She glanced up as she heard the sound of knocking on the doorframe. Her eyes widening at the sight of Byul-yi standing in the doorway. Yong-sun tried to keep calm, but her face was heating up all over again. Did Byul-yi hear anything from her small rant? She could tell by Byul-yi's cocky grin that she did hear it. Yong-sun quickly looked back down to focus on the belt. Maybe if she did not look at Byul-yi, the director would not say anything. 

"Are you talking to yourself?" Byul-yi asked in an amused tone.

Byul-yi had honestly found Yong-sun's frustration amusing. She knew from the first day she met the older, she would be a hotheaded woman. Yong-sun was not too good at hiding her facial expressions. Byul-yi had purposely spoken informally to Yong-sun to see what the woman would have said. As always, people held their tongue and did not say what they were really thinking around Byul-yi. Byul-yi knew Yong-sun's long-term goal was to go work with her father. Her father who has won tons of awards for his films and k-dramas. Byul-yi was used to people using her to get to her father. So, Byul-yi chose to give Yong-sun hell for it. 

Even now as she watched Yong-sun shift and wiggle in her seat. She could not have been that focused on the belt. Byul-yi's nose crinkled up as she let out a laugh. Yong-sun's head raising up to look at the director. 

"You're funny Yong-sun. You're truly interesting." Byul-yi said as she moved further into the room. 

"Uhm, what? Aren't you filming your movie?" Yong-sun asked, her eyes going back to the belt.

"Well, the dress is just too distracting, we need the belt."

"I will be done with it in a second." Yong-sun said.

Byul-yi chuckled at the way Yong-sun's nostrils flared. Byul-yi held her own breath to hear the exasperated sigh come out. It was like watching a dragon, who was ready to blow fire. Byul-yi pictured smoke coming out of Yong-sun's ears and nose, which caused her to laugh out loud. Yong-sun looked at the director as she doubled over with the laughter of a child. What was so funny? Yong-sun finished getting the buckle back onto the belt. She then stood up quickly, holding the belt out to Byul-yi to grab. Her eyes narrowing at the fact, Byul-yi was still laughing instead of grabbing the belt she "needed." 

Byul-yi wiped the stray tears of laughter from her eyes and grinned at the fuming Yong-sun, "You're truly 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter