Doing weird things can be wholesome too

Only You

Sometimes Seungwan doesn’t know how, or why Seulgi even managed to do this kind of thing that never came up inside her mind. Including now.

She just got back from buying several supplies in the minimarket near their apartment with Mark in his carrier strapped on her body, when she found something quite shocking greeted her the moment she stepped inside their home.

Seungwan let out a deep, tired sigh. “What are you doing?”

There she was, Seulgi, alongside their daughter Ryujin, lying down perfectly on top of the carpeted floor right beside the big glass wall of their apartment, bathing in sunlight. Spreading out their arms and legs wide like a starfish. “Bask in the sunlight. Maybe fall into a nap in the middle of the process. Right, Jinnie?”

“Sunbathing!” exclaimed Ryujin happily, even though she still doesn’t exactly know what they are doing beside laying down under the sunlight. But, if it makes her Umma happy, then she wants to try it too.

Seulgi opened one of her eyes as she watched Seungwan put down Mark into his baby chair before dropping the necessities that she just bought on top of the kitchen counter. “What did you buy?”

“Formulas, diapers, eggs, instant food, fresh food. Everything.”

She let out a hum. “Noodles?”

“You ate too much noodle this month alone, Seulgi,” deadpanned Seungwan. “Cut it down for a bit.”

“You didn’t buy it?” pouted Seulgi.

Seungwan rolled her eyes from the pouting playfully. “I buy it, you big baby. Stop pouting.”

“Umma is a big baby!” screamed Ryujin in delight.

“Yeah. That’s why stop waking up Umma in the early morning,” grumbled Seulgi, closing her eyes once again to enjoy the warm sunlight on her body.

“Umma,” murmured Mark softly as he pointed his finger towards where his mother and his sister were currently lying down. Her brown eyes glinted in curiosity as his hand gripped on the small table of his baby chair tight.

A smile bloomed on Seungwan’s lips at the cute behaviour Mark just pulled. She slightly lowered her body to levels her position with him. “Yes, that is Umma with Ryujin-noona,” explained Seungwan with a soft, gentle tone of a mother.

Mark changed his gaze, looking at Seungwan pleadingly. “Mama.”

Seungwan looked at him for a while. Trying to process the information that she got from him just now. Decoding it using her smart brain so she could know what her son wants. “Markie wants to go where Umma and Ryujin-noona is?”

The little boy nodded his head cutely, making his full cheeks slightly shaking because of the movement. A chuckled slipped out from her before she started to cradle Mark into her arms, taking him to where Seulgi is.

Seulgi let out a huff as she felt additional weight being dropped on top of her body. With a displeasure grunt, she opened her eyes to be greeted with a sight of Mark lying down on his belly, right on top of her. “Why is Markie here?”

“He wants to be with you.”

Her eyes blinked as the similar eyes in front of her looked at her with curiosity and fascination. “Markie wants to be here with Umma?”

“Umma,” muttered Mark softly while nodding. He immediately put his head on the comfortable chest of his mother and snuggled pleasantly there. Didn’t manage to wholly process the scene that just happened right before her eyes, Seulgi just naturally decided to put her arm on his back to make him safe and didn’t fall to the sides of her body.

“Is it comfortable? Mama also likes to lie down her head on the exact spot you are currently lying down too. Umma still doesn't understand why Mama is so fond of Umma’s left shoulder. And now Markie is doing it too. I guess like mother like son, huh?” chuckled Seulgi softly while ruffling his fluffy and thick hair gently. Her chuckle turns into a laugh when she hears a scoff coming from her wife. “What? I just stated the fact.”

“Yeah, but no need to give him all the details,” gruntled Seungwan as she fixed her black blazer and checked her appearance in the mirror.

The sight making the frown on the delicate features of Seulgi’s forehead shows up. “Where are you going?”

“To the office. Got an important meeting with the editorial. Will not be long,” explained Seungwan as she applies lipstick to her lips skillfully.

“You always have an online meeting with them, in your work room. Why do you need to come to the office now? Can’t it be done from online too?”

“Nope,” answered Seungwan with a pop in the end. Once she was satisfied with how her appearance looked, the woman crouched right in the middle of Seulgi and an already sleeping Ryujin. She gave a kiss in the forehead for the kids before bidding her goodbye. “Mama will be back soon, okay?”

“Mama,” mumbled Mark, still nicely lying down on top of Seulgi, looking at his mom like he doesn’t want to let her go. He flailed his hand in the air, trying to grasp his mom's own hand with his little one. A pout showed up on his cute little lips when Seungwan grabbed his hand, encasing it like a warm, cotton glove.

“Be a good prince with Umma, okay?” asked Seungwan in a soft tone before giving him another kiss on the cheek.

“I didn’t get a kiss?”

Seungwan rolled her eyes but didn’t say anything as she leaned down to plant a kiss on her wife’s cheek.

“Only on here?” protested Seulgi while pointing to the spot where Seungwan’s lips had just landed. “What about my forehead and my lips?”

“You are such a demander, aren’t you?” chuckled Seungwan playfully before kissing her forehead and her lips, the latter being quite longer than the other two. “Don’t forget to have lunch with the kids, okay? And check if Markie’s diaper needs to be changed or not. Also, don’t forget to make them drink their milk after they are eating. And make sure to wash the dish after-“

Her words got cut off when Seulgi connected their lips once again. “Geez, you act like you were about to go to the battlefield when you are just going to the office for a meeting. I can handle it, okay? Everything will be intact once you come back home. Trust me.”

“Well, if that is what you say,” sighed Seungwan as she stood up to leave their apartment and go to her workplace. “I’m going now!”

“Be careful!” screamed Seulgi before the main door of their place closed, making the sight of her wife gone behind the door alongside the adorable sight of Mark waving his hand to send his goodbye to her. The last people that she interacted with before she left the apartment complex and went to the office that she rarely visited now.

Well, it’s not like her presence is needed that much in the office. The perks of being the editor in chief at one of the famous economic and politics magazines in the nation, she can desirely generate a meeting to be held online without the need to come to the office, which wasn’t that far from the place she lives at to begin with.

But, the thoughts of leaving their kids behind doesn’t sit well with Seungwan. That’s why she rather chose to stay at home since Seulgi is the one who often goes to her office for work. But in a rare time like this, when Seulgi can work from home, she utilizes it to the fullest by visiting the office that she has started to miss.

Might enjoy the rest of the day in the workplace.

---

If she didn’t expect the scenery that was greeting her the moment she arrived at the apartment after making a short trip to the minimarket looking quite astounding earlier, then she totally didn’t expect what was about to greet her the moment she stepped inside her home.

She just got back from the office a bit later than usual because there was a sudden emergency between the marketing and the printing department and she needs to take care of it immediately to prevent the problem growing bigger if they did that a bit later.

A tired huff escaped from her lips as she stepped out from the lift. Her hand held a plastic bag filled with a box full of fried chickens for their dinner, since she had a hunch that Seulgi didn’t bother to cook lunch that much for it to last until night.

Her index finger swiftly punched the password code to unlock the door. Inhaling the familiar comforting scent of lavender and baby powder that greeted her the moment she opened the door. “I’m home,” announced Seungwan as she put the car key in the glass bowl on top of the mahogany table.

Seungwan made a frown as she put her black pumps on the shoe rack beside Seulgi’s loafers and didn't hear any sound of welcoming from the people inside of the apartment.

Weird. Usually, Ryujin will greet her the moment she hears her voice coming from the door, hugging her legs tightly, making her unable to walk normally. And Seulgi will come to the front while picking up Mark in her arms and welcoming her with a kiss.

None of the mentioned things above happened since the time she stepped inside the apartment.

“Seulgi?” called out Seungwan, feeling strange when she noticed that the living room is in the dark condition. “Seulgi, I swear to God do not play pranks with me.”

She was about to call out the name of her wife once again when she noticed a light being covered with a wide, white sheet near the black long couch. Making it look like a tent with how it was being prompted up by a pole in the middle.

Hushes of voices filled the empty and dark living room, preventing it from becoming too silent. Seungwan raised her eyebrow, feeling curious about what Seulgi was doing by making a tent in the middle of their apartment.

Seungwan made her steps as light as a feather, didn’t want to disturb them even though she knew they might have heard her voice when she arrived earlier. It was when the distance between her and the tent were close enough that she could decipher what Seulgi was saying with a hushed and suspenseful voice.

“’No! You can’t go to the river!’ said the merchant with a warning in his voice,” expressed Seulgi as she read the child story from the book that Seungwan bought months ago for Ryujin to make her start learning how to read. “’It’s too dangerous!’”

The fully suited woman leaned herself into the couch as she listened to the worry inhale of her daughter, who was hugging her baby brother tightly in her arms. Being indulged with the story that Seulgi read out for them. “No! They can’t go to the river!” feared Ryujin out loud, while her brother just looked at her mother with a blank gaze. Didn’t understand anything about the whole story.

“The prince hand got caught by the merchant before he fell to the cliff,” resumed Seulgi after she turned to the other page of the storybook. “But the merchant can’t hold him for long, making the prince fall into the cliff without no one to help him. The end.”

“No!” wailed Ryujin in sadness. Her voice laced with tears as she held back her sobs. “The prince can’t die!”

“Suddenly, there is a dragon flying from the mountain and catching the prince into its back before he falls much further into the cliff! And the prince is safe and lives happily ever after!”

“That wasn’t written in the story,” frowned Seulgi as she checked the storybook once again to see if it is the last page of the story, before she realized the voice. “Wait-“

“Mama!” exclaimed Ryujin as she came out from the tent to launch herself at Seungwan who was waiting for her on the couch with a laugh. “Mama, welcome home!”

“Hi, sweetheart,” giggled Seungwan, pressing her lips against the plump cheek of her daughter. Pulling her closer for a tight, warm embrace. “What were you just doing with Umma?”

“Umma make a tent!” informed Ryujin with a loud voice. “And Umma read a story for Jinnie and Markie!”

“That sounds fun, beautiful. Did you have fun with Umma and Markie?”

Ryujin nodded enthusiastically before she noticed a box of fried chicken on top of the dining table. “Chicken!”

“Jinnie wants to eat chicken?” asked Seungwan to her daughter who already nestled perfectly inside her arms as she brought her towards the dining table. Ryujin answered her once again with an enthusiastic nod making her release a soft laugh. “Let’s have dinner together, okay?”

Tiny feet of her daughter immediately went towards her baby seat the moment it touched the carpeted floor underneath as Seungwan put her down. Swiftly climbing up the chair like how her limbs memorize it with such ease.

“When were you arrived?” asked Seulgi after she came out from the tent alongside Mark within her arms, passing him easily to Seungwan’s waiting arms when her boy motioned to be picked up by his Mama.

“Ten minutes ago. I called you out, didn’t you hear?” asked Seungwan as she tilted her head slightly to make her lips meet Seulgi’s own pairs for a quick peck, welcoming her home with a kiss. “Hi, baby. Did you miss Mama?”

“Mama,” muttered Mark in his soft voice as he put his head on Seungwan’s comfortable shoulder, nuzzling her thick hair on the skin of her collarbone. He nestled his head more when he felt his mom’s lips kissing his forehead softly.

“Must be the kids' commotion buried it down,” shrugged Seulgi easily as she took out the box of chicken from the plastic bag. “How did you know that I haven’t cooked dinner for us?”

“You never cook dinner for us, Seulgi,” remarked Seungwan while rolling her eyes playfully. Kissing Mark’s addicting cheek before settling him in the baby chair, sending a glance towards her wife with a curious gaze. “Why are you suddenly making a tent?”

“The kids are watching a show and it’s about a group of people going on a camping trip,” explained Seulgi as she put two chicken on Ryujin’s plate. “Our princess suddenly wants to do what they are doing, so I make an emergency tent.”

“Jinnie wants camping!” exclaimed Ryujin before she took a big bite on the chicken leg.

“You heard her,” sighed Seulgi tiredly as she took a seat in front of her daughter.

“You did great,” praised Seungwan, kissing the side of Seulgi’s head before sitting right beside her. “Thanks for looking out for the kids today.”

Seulgi reciprocates her gratitude with a kiss on her lips, making a wide smile bloom on Seungwan’s face when they’re pulling back from the contact.

Her wife always did something unexpected, something that her smart brain somehow can’t fathom. But, whatever Seulgi comes up with, it’s always making their childrens feel excited and wanting to do the same thing too. And Seungwan is beyond thankful for that.

Because sometimes, doing weird things can be wholesome too.

 ---

god, i love this little family so much.

anyway, i made several changes in the previous chapter (if all of you realized it) but it's not really changing the storyline. it's just adding or changing up some words in the story. and that's why i'm telling this in case if you want to re-read it.

do kindly tell me your thoughts about this story, especially this chapter! see you in the next one!