Her World

Crash and Burn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An incessant thumping pulled Yoohyeon out of her dream and into her bedroom, where the sun shone lightly through the balcony curtains and the silk sheets wrapped about her legs. Was that knocking?

"Give me a moment!" she called out, untangling herself from her blankets and getting out of bed. She didn't usually toss and turn, so that was new for her, but then the dream from the previous night came flooding in. She had dreamed about her body lying in a hospital bed, and her mother sitting beside her crying. Yoohyeon paused with her hand on the knob of her armoire, but then the knock came again and she was reminded that she couldn't think about that just yet. She opened the doors and pulled the robe off of a hanger, wrapping it about herself as she hurried to the door to open it.

"Yes?"

The servant girl from the day prior stood before her, a tray in one hand and a grumpy look on her face. "I've been... never mind. Good morning, my Lady," she said in what seemed like sarcastic tones, and she brushed past Yoohyeon to place the tray onto the writing desk in the bed chamber. "Eunji sent me to help you get ready for the... well the rest... of the day."

That comment made Yoohyeon look at the clock hanging on the wall, and to her surprise it was nearly 10am. "Wow. Sorry," she added, glancing at the tray Gahyeon had brought. "I don't usually sleep so long. Is that food?" she asked as her stomach growled.

Gahyeon smirked and lifted the cover on the tray. A dish of fruit, something that looked like cottage cheese, some toasted bread and jam, scrambled eggs with some sort of vegetables inside, and a small pot of what smelled like tea graced her eyes. Yoohyeon's stomach growled again, and she very nearly obeyed. "I'll be right back," she said instead, hurrying to go relieve her bladder and wash her face.

When she returned she found that Gahyeon had pulled out a dress for her, a pretty yellow thing that wasn't as fancy as the one she had worn last night. She had also apparently found the blue dress and was currently frowning at the popped buttons. "Sorry about that," Yoohyeon told her sheepishly, sitting down at the desk to start in on her breakfast. "I coudln't get out of the buttons."

"My fault," Gahyeon said, sounding like she was lost in thought. "I should have known to come help you, so I'm sorry, my Lady." She set the dress down on the bed and stepped up behind Yoohyeon. "May I brush your hair?"

"Uh. I can... do that...?"

Yoohyeon watched as the servant girl ignored her words and lifted the brush anyway. "Nonsense. It's my job. Besides, Eunji said to get you ready to meet with the Prince, and we've wasted enough time as it is."

The brush hit a snag in her hair just as Yoohyeon choked on her toast, and she was grateful for the fact of her tangles hiding her surprise over the Prince. "Sorry," Gahyeon apologized, and though the choking hadn't been her fault, Yoohyeon simply nodded. She washed down her food wth hot mint tea and thought about what she was going to do.

She had fallen into a world, seemingly literally, in which there were obviously political factions. She could either try to delve into those and figure them out, or she could focus on the fact that she was dreaming about her injured body laying in a hospital in the real world. What if this were the dream, and she was making it up because she was in a coma? That was the more likely scenario, and her body was making up this world when she was dosed on painkillers and whatever else those machines were pumping into her. When she got out of the coma she would be leaving this world behind, and with that thought came the second one that nothing she did in this world would have lasting consequences. It was her dream, after all, and that meant that she could do whatever she wanted. Political factions be damned!

A smile came over her face then, and she felt relief settle in with the knowledge that she was the mistress of this world. Even if it didn't do what she ordered, such as change her clothing or make flying horses, it was still her world and she wasn't going to behead herself in her own world. She could rest assured that she was not going to run afoul of the King and be ordere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter