The Fall

Crash and Burn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of birds singing came through to Yoohyeon's ears, muted as if she were underwater, as well as the sound of rushing water that seemed to flow directly into her brain and fuddle her mind. And past all of that, the sound of a slight rising and falling cadence, getting louder by the second. When it finally cut through her disorientation, she realized it was voices.

"... breathing?"

Hands on her shoulders were gentle as she felt herself being pulled across the ground, the sound of rushing water getting quieter as they progressed. She struggled to open her eyes to see bright sunlight and the filter of tree branches full of leaves, and closer, the broad figure of a young man whose hands were currently lowering her to the ground. Her vision was tinted slightly red, though, and she shook her head slightly to clear it - when she did, lights exploded across her eyes and her head throbbed mightily. With a moan she shut her eyes again and moved to place her hand on her head, and over the pounding in her ears she could hear the young man speaking to a companion.

"She's alive but I think she hit her head on the rocks. We need to get her home right away."

"You think we can move her?" the other voice responded, wariness tinging the deep tones. "With a head injury..."

The voice above her spoke again. "You're right. Please go and get Eunji and bring her back, if she argues say that I order it." A gentle hand brushed at her forehead. "And please hurry."

Yoohyeon's head was hurting so badly that she wasn't sure if she imagined it or not, but she could have sworn she heard the sound of a horse's hooves striking the ground to gallop away. Her eyes flickered open again at that oddity and she realized that she was looking up into the blurry face of the young man who had been dragging her. "You..." she began, unsure where to begin.

A smile creased his face, his eyes turning up into crescent moons, and he shook his head. "Hold on, don't try to talk. My friend is getting help. You fell in the river and I think you hit your head," his voice had faltered a bit in confusion when he mentioned her falling, but he continued anyway, "but we were able to pull you out before you drowned. Can you tell me your name?"

"Yoohyeon," she responded in utter confusion. There was no river on the street she had been driving on, nor were there trees and singing birds and handsome boys in fancy clothing. "I don't understand," she began, trying to lift her head to look around, but the pain made her pause and squeeze her eyes shut. "Oh gosh," she moaned, forcing back the bile that tried to arise in as she felt as if her whole body were thrown into a tailspin. She vaguely felt the stranger's hands tighten on her shoulders, and she was grateful for that sensation because it seemed to anchor her back to her physical body. "Oh that hurts," she added in a whisper.

A murmur of agreement from the strange young man. "I hit my head once after being thrown from a horse. I don't even remember what happened in the event and most of the rest of the day, but it healed up well enough. You're going to be okay."

The sound of hooves once again, but this time Yoohyeon was fighting back the urge to vomit and couldn't care less about what kind of animal they were coming from. A moment later and cool fingers touched her forehead, then a new voice spoke. "Steady there," said a young woman with a sweet, musical voice. "Hold her still while I work," she said less sweetly, and the hands on her shoulders gripped firmly.

Before Yoohyeon could ask what in the hell was going on, the woman's cold hands grasped her head, and an intensely warm and electric feeling rushed through her body. Her back arched off of the ground, her teeth chattering wildly as her eyes popped open so wide it was as if they were going to fall out. Pain lanced through her body only to be followed by the terrible heat, and then her limbs seemed to snap with the electrical charge that followed. It was a very brief sensation, all of it lasting maybe five seconds, but then it faded as quickly as it had come and Yoohyeon was left panting as if she had sprinted a mile.

"It's done," the woman's voice said, and Yoohyeon's eyes darted over to see a beautiful young lady in a medieval purple dress standing up beside her. She frowned as her gaze traveled over the rest of Yoohyeon's form. "What is she wearing?"

"Shorts," Yoohyeon answered bluntly, a bit perturbed at the condescending tone that the woman's voice had taken. "What are you wearing?"

"Thank you, Eunji," the young man cut in before the lady in purple could answer. Both women looked back at him, and Yoohyeon felt her heart stutter in her chest. He was simply stunning, with broad shoulders and high cheekbones and dark eyes, with thick black hair that fell over one side of his forehead as he looked down at her. She wasn't sure that she had ever seen someone so handsome, and only now did she realize that she had been laying with her head in his lap.

Sitting up slowly, she realized several things at once. The first was that her headache was gone, as well as any lingering pain or nausea that she had bee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter