Prologue

Crash and Burn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tossing her sports bag over her shoulder, Yoohyeon turned to wave goodbye to her teammates. It was late April and the university softball team she played for was gering up for the final game of the year. The final practice was over and tomorrow, the game. Yoohyeon was the closing pitcher for a team that was nationally known, and she was in her senior year at the University. To win the pennant this year and then graduate with honors - well, that was the plan. Life rarely went according to plan, but she knew that there were pretty high chances that both were going to happen, and that thought brought a smile to her thin face.

"Are you coming out with us?" Binnie called after her, the catcher's face hopeful as Yoohyeon glanced back over her shoulder. 

"Sorry," she said, watching the other girl's face fall and feeling slightly guilty. She was always inviting and Yoohyeon was always turning her down. "I have to go to work," she added honestly. Binnie only waved her hand and turned back to the rest of the team, leaving Yoohyeon to hurry out of the building on her own.

The cool spring air hit her in the face as she pushed open the doors to the sports complex, but she just ducked her head against the onslaught and hurried down the steps. She needed to get home so she could shower and ready herself for work at her part-time job as a waitress at a sports bar. It wasn't a job she particularly enjoyed, but it got her a bit of spending money in her pocket that she highly appreciated. She lived within walking distance at the student housing off campus, where her rent was paid for by her multiple student loans and scholarships, but the quickest way to and from was in her beat up little sedan. And so she unlocked her driver's side door, tossed her sports bag into the backseat, and slid in behind the wheel to start the ancient car. It roared to life with an unsettling clicking noise in the engine - she was going to need to get that checked out sooner or later.

Later, she decided, knowing that she had only a month until graduation. She already had a position lined out at a business firm, she just needed to get to May 15th. She could worry about her car then when she had more money to dedicate to the problem. Business management had never been what she had dreamed of doing for the rest of her life, but it made for easy entry into careers that paid a lot of money, and sports did not. She wasn't good enough to go pro, anyway, and so she had known she would have to settle for something that would pay the bills, so business it was. Four years later and she wasn't thrilled about the path she had taken, but she didn't regret it either. It just... was.

Much like a lot of things in her life, she mused as she eased the car out into traffic. Her parents had always pressed her hard to make good grades and do something with her life, but they had never been particularly loving. Now as an adult she found she only returned home when it was expected for her to do so - the holidays, or her little brother's high school graduation last spring. She and her brother weren't especially close, either, always having fought over their parent's scant attention growing up, and so to be honest Yoohyeon didn't feel any kind of deep loyalty to her family. Her friends were similar - she had good relationships with her roommates, with her teammates, and with her coworkers but she hadn't formed any deep friendships that she felt wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter