Chapter IV

Third time's a charm. I N-CITY #7
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
I know you want me
So don't keep sayin' our hands are tied

You claim it's not in the cards
And fate is pullin' you miles away
And out of reach from me
But you're here in my heart
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

-Rewrite the Stars, Zac Efron & Zendaya

I was brought to a lawyering firm, Taeyong beside me as we waited. When Taeyong said that he had his connections, I never doubted him. Taeyong was always very… well connected. For some reason, his friends knew friends and his friends knew friends. Sometimes, he was friends with them and I wondered how an introvert like Taeyong; who didn’t care about the world, was able to have so many friends.

I sat down on the bench when a woman came and told us to go to an empty meeting room. We were at a company called Jenga Lawfirm, and I knew it was a startup law firm from the news. Lee Enterprises were expanding through South Korea, topping not only big companies and acquiring them but also investing in small startups.

I wondered why Taeyong brought me there when we could have asked for services from a big law firm when I saw a man stop by the door. He had glasses and Taeyong stood up when he saw him, my friend walking to the door just as it opened. He looked very young, very inexperienced at best and I saw Taeyong smile.

“Hyung…” the man said, his voice dropping into a whisper when his eyes went onto me. I could still hear them and Taeyong greeted him.

“Sungchan,” he spoke and Sungchan blushed red. “It’s been a while—I’m here to ask for your help.”

And with that, Taeyong explained to him about my situation. That we needed a divorce lawyer and that I wanted to keep my assets. However, with my current situation—to which Taeyong did not explain what it was, it was hard. Sungchan frowned, hands crossing over his chest.

“Hyung, you know I’m a criminal lawyer?” he asked and Taeyong nodded, a hand going to pat Sungchan on his shoulder. “And this is going to be my first case! It doesn’t look good for a criminal lawyer to aid in a divorce case—”

“You wanted a case, didn’t you? You said the firm wasn’t giving you any cases.” Taeyong pointed out. “Do you know anything about divorce law?”

“I mean, I finished in international law. About assets, I can read up on it.” He snuck a look at me again. “And isn’t that your friend? From university? Did you get married to her and you both ended up thinking that being friends is better so here—”

Smack.

“Ow!” Sungchan yelped, a hand going to rub his head. “Okay, I get it. It’s for her. But to be honest, I did not study law on my own just to get a divorce case as my first case.”

“You studied law and up to Lee Haechan with Shotaro on your first year and decided to switch courses because you thought you would work for him.” Taeyong snapped and the younger male pushed his glasses up his nose. Both of them began to walk to me, Taeyong taking a seat when Sungchan plopped down.

“Not my fault, my cousins are overachievers. They work hard, I just got to work smart,” he said and I frowned, tilting my head at him, deciding to speak.

“Who are your cousins?”

“He’s related to Jung Jaehyun and his sister,” Taeyong answered. “For some reason, he doesn’t want to be affiliated with them as much.”

“Yeah, we’re like… distant cousins. So many times removed—”

“Your mother is Jung Jaehyun’s mother’s sister.” Taeyong pointed out. “You’re first cousins, child. Stop downplaying it.”

“Why do you not want to be affiliated with them?” I asked while Jung Sungchan took out a small notebook. “Bad blood?”

“Bad blood?” He shook his head. “Oh, I love my cousins to death. But you know, my mother’s generation, her and her siblings are all doctors. Jaehyun Hyung and his sister both took business. I wasn’t very good at science or math and I was about to take business but then I decided to take law instead.”

“Law isn’t that bad,” I pointed out to him.

“Yeah, but people are selective of their lawyers. Lawyers get a very bad rep in our family—especially criminal lawyers. I’m doing them a favor by refusing to be related to them.” Sungchan shrugged.

“He says that but he calls Muffin and Mark out to drink.” Taeyong droned and Sungchan shot him a glare.

“Alright, let’s get to work. You’re saying you want to divorce this guy and keep the assets…”

I nodded and I began to tell him everything. The apartment and the car were under my name but where finance goes, I had no idea where to go from there.

“So, you’re saying that it’s under your name but you weren’t paying for the apartment?” Sungchan asked.

“Well…”

“She quit her job,” Taeyong said and I blinked. “He made her.”

“And the car… Are there any receipts of you buying it? Bank statements?” Sungchan asked and I said I didn’t know. “How do you not know? You remember buying it, right?”

“Uh… No,” I said and Sungchan frowned, his jaw dropping open suddenly when he pointed at me.

“Oh no, you have split personality and it’s your alter that bought it—”

Taeyong was about to stand up to smack him again when Sungchan covered his head, a hand going up to show his palms to Taeyong.

“Okay, fine. What happened?”

And that was when we told him about it. The car crash, how I lost my memory, and how Joohyuk came back to demand me to move the apartment name to his ownership. Sungchan nodded, chewing on his bottom lip.

“Oh, this is hard. Because even if you were paying for the car since it was a down payment, most married couples let one of them handle the finances. So, it’ll be his name paying for the car from his credit card so the nature of your relationship comes into play. The fact that you remember nothing is going to be an obstacle.”

“Oh?”

“Oh, indeed.” Sungchan mused. “Well, let me try to handle it, and maybe it’ll work out.”

He closed his notebook, rubbing his face.

“Oh, I can’t believe my first case is a divorce case!”

“The woman lost her memory and has a psychotic husband who tried to harm her and take away her things. Joohyuk is a criminal.” Taeyong pointed out and Sungchan paused, an eye raising at the new information. “I forgot to tell you that part, didn’t I?”

“Didn’t you?” Sungchan opened his notebook. “That’s the most important part! Jesus, Hyung. Miss, do you have any bruises? No? Well, slam yourself against the table and make one—now!”

“Sungchan.”

“Well, fine. I guess we can use make-up.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We were finished with Jenga Law firm and we exited the place, Sungchan said that he’d do the documents needed. I waved to him, Sungchan groaning that he needed a drink, and reached for his phone to call his cousin. I chuckled at the thought that even though he said he didn’t want to be connected to his cousin, he loved them a lot.

“Do you need to rest?” Taeyong asked and I shook my head, massaging the back of my neck. “I need to bring you somewhere.”

“Was that even a choice?”

“Well, not really,” Taeyong said and I shook my head, my best friend grabbing my hand and bringing me to his car. “You know, when I told you that you met Yuta once before in university?”

“Taeyong, if you want me to go back to him—”

“This is not about that. This is about your memories. You didn’t read your letters to Daisy about him, did you? You only read about Joohyuk?”

When he said Daisy’s name, there was a hint of sadness and I found myself turning to see him staring forward as he drove.

“There is one person who wrote about you and Yuta, however, the story ended when he left,” Taeyong said, the car surging forward past other cars. I frowned, not understanding what he was talking about. “She’s a writer. Don’t even ask me how she finds out what happens. You know the N-CITY series that was published in a set recently?”

“I saw it before; I’ve never read it.”

“Yeah, she’s the writer.”

“You mean, Kim Doyoung’s wife? Simona or something?”

“Simonsays,” he said and I nodded softly, still not understanding what is going on. “Anyway, she started Yuta’s story notes a while back but stopped it when he left because there was no ending.”

“How would she know about the details?”

“She doesn’t,” Taeyong said. “What she doesn’t know, she fills it up with fiction. But I guess, it’s good to start from somewhere to get your memories back, don’t you think? She didn’t write the story, just a few bullet points, and etcetera.”

And with that, he parked his car under a big building. It was Kim Doyoung’s office and I could see the many ads on real estate scattered through the bulletin boards. We walked up to the elevator and upon seeing Taeyong, the guards bowed down to him and let him through without any words.

Taeyong had his own card and when we entered the elevator, we were brought up to the highest floor. The elevator dinged and I saw that it was a study that overlooked Seoul, a man standing there, waiting for us.

“Taeyong,” Doyoung said and Taeyong chuckled, giving the man a one-arm hug. It was Doyoung and he smiled at me, bowing slightly. “Ah, my wife isn’t around at the moment but she did leave her notebook. She’s off trying to interview Hendery for the Season 2 opening story.”

“How’s that going?” Taeyong asked and Doyoung chuckled.

“It’s Hendery.”

I had no idea who that was but Doyoung’s statement seemed to be enough for both of them to conclude something from it.

“Anyway—Hyung, where is your ring?” Doyoung asked and Taeyong blinked.

“Uh….”

“Hyung, that was our couple ring!”

“The fact that you’re calling me ‘Hyung’ and not ‘Taeyong’ is seriously creeping me out. You only do that when you’re mad at me—”

“Of course, I’m mad!” Doyoung frowned and raised a hand to show us his right hand. “I wear it all the time.”

“He gave his ring to Yuta by accident,” I said and Doyoung glowered at Taeyong, my friend smiling sheepishly. “It’s okay, he can get it back. It’s not like it fits Yuta, anyway.”

“As said,” Taeyong added, Doyoung going to his desk and taking out a notebook. “The Holy notebook.”

And with that, I reached for the notebook, going to sit down for a second just to skim through the pages. When Taeyong said ‘Story Notes’ he really did mean it, each story had points made and Doyoung’s wife had written small details down. I stopped at the end when I saw Yuta’s name, a sad smile on my face when I read it.

“Yuta is positive.” She wrote. “His story dating back with going on three dates with women. Respectful. Never crosses boundaries.”

“Story with Jung Jaehyun’s sister.” Was crossed out and was replaced with “Jung Jaehyun’s sister and Mark Lee.”

“I saw him reach his hand out to press it against a woman’s forehead today. They were both wearing hoodies. When I crept closer, he asked her if she wanted to be sick together. They left.”

“I saw them in a coffee shop and he brought out a set of tarot cards.” the handwriting became scrawly. “He said he didn’t believe in them but because she did, he bought it.”

“I see the way he looks at her; like he knows it’s going to end soon and he hates it. There is happiness behind his eyes when he’s with her but the sadness of leaving is going to consume him. Just by seeing them together, I am sure of one thing.”

“They are in love.”

I turned the page.

“I think Nakamoto Yuta has left. I saw her today by the park, sitting on her own. She wasn’t crying but I believe that when you feel loss, you end up staring into space, wondering why it had to be you. I don’t know how they left or on what terms, but I can tell t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter