CHAPTER III

Revenge Of The Fallen

"This is so embarrassing.’’ Siyeon looked at herself in the mirror, with disgust in her face as she saw the big straw hat and green, oversized pants, since she looked like a gardener and she couldn’t wear what she would like. Pretending to be a gardener was one of her ideas how to become closer with Bora. Hopefully. She wasn’t sure if this would actually work. What if she doesn’t want help?

..

Siyeon walked through the whole city dressed as a gardener. She felt embarrassed. Knowing everyone was staring at her. She wanted to bury herself each time she saw someone looking at her. Siyeon prayed to be finally behind the huge garden walls so no one could stare at her and she could be at least one step closer to the end of this mission. Gaining Bora’s trust was one of the hardest parts of this whole mission. And getting through the gate as well. The guards were extremely careful.

‘’I came here as you told me to visit again. I was looking for a job and now I am here for a meeting with Ms. Kim.’’

Though the guard had already met the girl, he had to make sure once again that she wasn’t dangerous.

‘’If I find any kind of weapon, the only thing you will get to see is the cold room in our cellar.’’

Siyeon froze a bit as she had the blade her Master entrusted her with. She had hidden it in her hair, under the huge straw hat and prayed it wouldn’t get found.

‘’She’s clear.’’ The guard said and Bora’s assistant was on his way to her room in an instant.

After long five minutes, the guy came back to the gate. ‘’Ms. Kim is expecting you.’’

Siyeon walked through the huge, iron gate. Seeing the gardens this close was powerful. They were full of life. Siyeon kind of didn’t like the vibe it was giving her but she had to admit that the gardens were impressive and mesmerizing.

The path was made out of small rocks. All of them about the same size, it was a really perfectionist work. The path was lined with many bushes and flowers, leading to the main door of the palace. She couldn't stop looking around.

The door opened right as she stepped on the first stair. She stepped in and suddenly felt so much energy around her. 

...

As Siyeon waited, time seemed slowed down. One minute felt like fifty minutes maybe even more. The living room where she was waiting was big enough to fit at least a hundred people. There were huge stairs on the right side of the room, one guard was standing at the end of it and the other guard was at the entrance. Their faces were so sharp and straight. There was no sign of emotion. They weren’t even blinking. But somehow she felt their eyes on herself, they were carefully examining her every movement.

  She looked with the corner of her eye at them. Siyeon got up from the old beige sofa with a sigh, she wondered how long she was going to wait. So with that, she turned her attention to the living room. The tall, white marble walls were shining with the sun reflecting on them. The heavenly aura of the mansion reminds her of old times. Everything seemed so pure, pure enough to fool you easily. But it wasn’t as innocent as it seemed. She walked towards the huge painting in front of her. It was a painting of a man in a white soldier suit. He was the head of the archangels, the famous Michael. She pressed her lips strongly to not to swear, a sudden memory of him tearing her wings the day she fell passed through her mind. She saw wars, she faced death but that was the most painful experience she ever had. Luckily her wings grew back quickly but they weren’t white as they used to be. They were grown black this time, in a way that shows her true self. A fallen.

“He is my father.” Said a soft voice from distance, Siyeon turned towards her quickly. Her target was coming down from the upstairs. She was wearing a floral pattern dress, while her light brown hair was dancing in a harmony with her dress. Bora was smiling widely to show her friendly, trustable side. Siyeon smiled at her in a return.

“Was he a soldier?” Siyeon asked like she doesn’t know who that devil is.

“He still is.” Bora greeted her guards as she was coming closer to Siyeon. “Do I know you?” she seemed uncomfortable and confused. Something was wrong. Did they know each other from her times in heaven? But that was impossible. Hell would never do such a mistake like that.

“I don’t think so?” She didn’t lie. Honestly, she was confused too. Even if they met at one point Bora would never know it was her. Thankfully the ring was making her seem as human as possible.

“You look like someone I know from the past. I am good at remembering faces.” Bora said with hesitation in her tone. The guards were alarmed too. Their bodies were turned towards her enemy and herself. She noticed them holding their swords handle just in case.

“It’s my first time here. Maybe you might have mistaken me for someone else.” Siyeon pulled her best acting. She would remember her too, Siyeon’s memory wasn’t that weak either.

“Yes, you are right.” Bora dropped her guard a little bit. “I am Sua.” Why she was lying? Siyeon didn’t have an answer for this, maybe this was her cover up. Siyeon knew her enemy’s powers very well but she was prepared.

  Bora was trying to understand Siyeon’s real intentions. A little magic on her ring did the work and hid her true need. She only knew Siyeon as a desperate human being.

“I am Siyeon.” It wasn’t her real name either. Nor heaven nor hell knew this. After the fall, she chose it to be hers. So there was no solid evidence for Bora to get suspicious.

“Nice to meet you. Can you please tell me about yourself and what you want to do here?” Bora pointed at the sofa while making her way to it. Siyeon tagged along. Bora sat at the smaller sofa which was across the bigger one.

  Siyeon sat at the bigger one and turned her body towards her target. Bora was observing her closely, it was going to be hard to gain her trust. But she was ready to accept this challenge. “I am new in town and wanted a fresh start.” She avoided giving so many details about her fake life unless asked.

“Did you run away from something? Or did you just get bored?” Bora asked an inappropriate question. Of course, she was going to make a background check but Siyeon didn’t wait for it to be this personal.

“I got bored so I left.” She smiled lightly like a helpless human. “I came from a small town at west.” She swallowed. “My whole life was spent between the same places. I was sick of seeing the same faces every day.” She frowned at Bora to show her she isn’t comfortable about her past. But she had a backup plan too, if the questions got deeper, she was going to talk about the most ordinary life as possible.

“I was born here. In this town, in this house.” Something in Bora’s tone felt similar. “I understand you.” She put her hand above Siyeon’s. “Sometimes I get sick of living the same day every day. Honestly, you are brave.”  She came close to Siyeon. “It’s an act of bravery to leave your comfort zone and start an adventure all alone.” She whispered her last words. “Sadly I can’t…”

  At first, Siyeon didn’t know what to say, was Bora a prisoner here? But she had all, all the power; all the soldiers at her command. “Maybe I can be the change in here.” Siyeon’s smile got stronger. Yes, she was going to be a change for sure. Not a good one though.

“What do you want to do?” Bora leaned back, she felt connected to Siyeon’s fake story. Now she was more comfortable.

“I can cook, or do the gardening. I heard you had the best garden in the whole country.” She acted excited. She didn’t know anything about gardening but she was going to try her best and hope to not mess things up.

“Gardening?” She looked back to the window far away from her. Big, old trees were glowing with their live green colors. Bora nodded. “Do you know how to…”

  Siyeon didn’t let her finish her sentence. “No. I don’t but I am willing to try.” She was about to beg at this point. She couldn’t believe her pathetic tone, Siyeon was nailing the acting.

  Bora chuckled to her response. “It’s okay, maybe a student can cure my boredom.”

….

   Siyeon was in her new bedroom, standing next to the window, glancing around. She was observing Bora. Her enemy was sitting near the small lake, there were some dead flowers she was holding. She held them between her hands and she put them between her lips and whispered something. Now she was holding alive daisies. Even though Siyeon knew what she is capable of she was surprised. When Bora got up she took a step back and sat at her bed.

  Her room was small. There was only a single bed and a drawer in front of it. Next to it, there was a bathroom door. The small desk was under the big window. The walls were grey, different than the rest of the house.

The fallen kept staring out of her window for hours. She was mesmerized by Bora’s beauty, her voice, everything.

Bora turned around as she was looking at her garden. She saw Siyeon in the window. Siyeon immediately walked away so she wouldn’t look suspicious. Bora shook her head in confusion, wondering why the new one kept watching her.

Siyeon had her mind full of the small girl. But in different ways. At one point she was thinking about how to get rid of her the easiest. But on the other side, how could she? She has never met anyone so beautiful. Siyeon was mad at Bora because of what happened to her, but what if she could forgive her and spend the rest of her life happily with her?

Bora knocked on Siyeon’s door but didn’t get any answer. She knocked again and the door opened.

‘’Tomorrow I will show you how to take care of my gardens. It’s late now, go get some sleep.’’

Siyeon nodded and sighed as soon as the door closed. She didn’t like having to take orders from her.

The urge to kill her was getting stronger every minute. Waiting was the worst part. And she had to wait a long time.