CHAPTER IV

Revenge Of The Fallen

The next morning, Siyeon woke up as soon as the sun started shining through the curtain in her room. The curtains added an orange glow to the morning light. It was really early in the morning, around 5am. She could hear the birds already singing outside and it was impossible for her to go back to sleep, even if only for an hour. She breathed in deeply. A new day has begun.

She put on some normal clothes and got ready to find the kitchen to get something to eat.

Leaving the room, Siyeon kept looking around. There were many paintings of Bora’s ancestors and the members of her family. Siyeon stopped in front of one, staring at it with disgust in her face. She couldn’t wait to get rid of this whole family.

‘’You seem interested.’’ Bora tapped on Siyeon’s shoulder. She didn’t even notice Bora was there with her and woke up from her deep thoughts the second she felt Bora’s touch.

‘’Oh, I apologize, I didn’t know you were there.’’ Siyeon said. Bora had her room across the hallway. Siyeon was just too focused to notice the door had opened.

‘’I don’t really do this but, ’’ Bora stopped to think about this once again. ‘’come have breakfast with me.’’

She was always hesitant, especially with new people around her as it always took her long to gain trust.

‘’So, how was your first sleep here?’’ Bora asked curiously as she led the way to the dining room that was on the other side of the palace.

‘’Yeah, it was alright.’’ Siyeon said, hoping she wouldn’t get asked more. She wasn’t really talkative, especially in the morning. Plus the fact that it was her, the enemy, that she had to talk to.

After a while of walking and Bora interrogating Siyeon, they finally reached the right door, and on Bora’s command, the guards opened the door for the two girls.

A dark brown mahogany table took up most of the room space. The table was left with big white and gold tablecloth. The dining-room was exquisite. The walls were covered with a shimmering gold tapestry and in the middle of the ceiling above the table was a huge, crystal candelabra. Down the center of the table was a runner with Celtic design woven in gold into the fabric itself. At the end of the table were floor to ceiling doors, a wooden one leading to the kitchen and a glass one that looked like a window and led to a huge balcony with a view of the sea on the left and Eden on the right. At each place was a teacup, ready for the breakfast. Normally there would be wine glasses. All that was missing was the food and the guests.

‘’Take whichever seat you would like.’’ Bora said and looked at the cook as a sign for him to prepare the breakfast without unnecessary wait.

Siyeon was left speechless. The room, the whole palace were truly impressive. Even though she hated that place with her whole heart.

The taller girl seated herself across from Bora. Bora was dressed in wealthy clothing with gold jewels and velvet material, the total opposite of Siyeon.

Siyeon’s mouth fell open when the servants started to bring trays upon trays of food and drinks. There was so much food to choose from. She wasn’t used to this. In her hometown, she would eat a slice of bread and call it a day. Siyeon had no idea how to feel, if annoyed because of Bora’s existence and that it was her taking care of her, or just be happy because she got to eat a lot. And she loved food. She didn’t even wait and started eating right away. Bora just kept staring at her hoarding food in .

‘’Did you enjoy?’’ Bora asked her guest, almost laughing. Siyeon tried not to sigh out loud. She didn’t want to be asked every minute.
‘’Yes.’’ She replied as she finished the last meal.

Bora got up and walked past Siyeon. ‘’Meet me in the gardens.’’

Siyeon walked out of the main palace entry, looking around for Bora. She was small enough to get lost in the gigantic garden. There were many huge trees with so many kinds of fruits. But the apple tree was to be the jewel of the garden. Bora was right under it, watching the birds play around.

Siyeon tried to slowly and silently approach Bora from the back as she had the chance to kill her right on spot.

‘’The garden birds are my inner warmth as I watch them play. There are so many of them out there, large and small, brown, blue, yellow, red capped and golden stripped. I listen to their chirping. I watch how they seek insects from the soil.’’ Bora started as she heard Siyeon’s footsteps behind her.

‘’They have an entire life of their own, these feathered friends, something completely separate from our human existence.’’

Siyeon watched how Bora was sitting in the grass, not even caring that her dress could get damaged.

‘’The garden was always a shade brighter in the rain. It was as if the gift of the skies wasn't water, but liquid magic, washing our world to show what was there all along, nature in her in humble brilliance. the grass became the shade of every dreamers meadow, roots quenched, soil renewed.’’ Bora hasn’t even looked at Siyeon and kept talking. Siyeon wasn’t really that type of person who would need to listen to these kinds of wisdoms.

‘’My garden is the most important thing to me. I need you to know that. That’s why I need someone who will not fail to take care of it. I wouldn’t forgive if I found any of my flowers not alive, if it’s the gardener’s fault. And I know when it is and when it isn’t.’’

Siyeon was slowly getting annoyed. Maybe bored even. But at the same time she was scared. If she failed her ‘job’, Bora would send her away and the whole plan would go to waste. She had to be really careful.

 ‘’Each one of these needs special care.’’ Bora added as she got up and grabbed the gardener’s hand and dragged her to show her some of her treasures.

‘’Chrysanthemums. The flowers of the month for November. If you receive a red chrysanthemum from someone, it is a symbol of love. A yellow chrysanthemum blossom signifies neglected love or sorrow. A white chrysanthemum...’’

‘’Is a symbol of loyalty and devoted love.’’ Siyeon finished the sentence, making it look like she knows something about the flowers, to leave an impression, hoping Bora would trust her a bit more.

‘’Yes!’’ Bora quickly turned to her, surprised. She kept looking into Siyeon’s eyes, now that they stood close to each other. She fell in love. ’’Yes, yes.’’ She repeated as she woke up from the trance, trying not to make this even more awkward. She didn’t even know Siyeon for long, why should she suddenly be in love with her. ‘’I’m sorry.’’ The smaller one apologized. The gardener didn’t even blink.

‘’Anyway,’’ Bora made a few steps towards another flower. ‘’Dahlias.’’ She looked at Siyeon. She felt the need to look at her.

‘’This flower has a lot of different meanings. Red symbolizes strength and power that we want to give to the person who is receiving this flower. Pink and purple ones symbolize kindness and grace.’’

Bora turned to Siyeon, holding one of the flowers. ‘’Blue one is a symbol of a new beginning and a new chapter.’’ She said and gave Siyeon the blue Dahlia as she remembered how the gardener said she needed a change when they first met. Siyeon wasn’t really the sentimental person. And she hated Bora but this moment caught her off guard. She didn’t expect it and it made her surprisingly happy.

There was also a black dahlia. But Bora didn’t like to talk about it as it symbolizes betrayal.

‘’Peruvian lilies. My favorite. They always connect to a similar meaning of friendship, love, strength, devotion, mutual support and the ability to help each other through the trials and tribulations of life.’’

Even though this was kind of boring for Siyeon, she started to enjoy the way Bora talked. Her voice was actually really comforting and she felt like she could listen to Bora talking all days.

‘’Hyacinths….they got the name from an Ancient Greek boy named Hyakinthos. The Gods Apollo and Zephyr fought for his attention and killed him in the process. The flower that grew from his blood was called the Hyacinth. This is why purple hyacinths mean sorrow, forgiveness and regret.’’

As time went by, they slowly walked through the whole garden, both of them actually enjoying each other’s presence.

‘’Last one, red Camellia. Choose these flowers if you want to show love, passion and a deep desire for someone you know.’’

‘’Your garden is truly imp...’’ Siyeon said but couldn’t finish as Bora ran away.

‘’Come here, I forgot my lotuses.'' Bora yelled from the distance.

''Lotuses are interesting as their blooms close at night and sink in water, and once the sun rises they appear on the surface again. They are symbols of long life, honour, good luck, purity of mind and heart, and health.’’ Bora said when Siyeon walked up to her. ''I have a small diary'' Bora added and handed the book to Siyeon. ''Read it. It's everything you need to know about this garden.'' It was the last thing she wanted to tell her. Bora looked at the taller girl who locked her eyes on the lotuses.The two stood by the pond, Bora staring at Siyeon and trying to read her personality better. She still felt like she had known her before. But for some reason, she couldn’t do anything about it. She couldn’t remember her, not even her powers were helping.