All Too Easy

Circle

“Just give me a chance, will you?”

A slim, black-haired guy sighed as he stopped right in front of his apartment unit at the end of the hallway. He turned to the taller male who kept following him. Taemin, the black-haired guy, was glad that only a few units were occupied in this floor, especially the one in front of him, because Jongin’s—the taller male—voice was too loud.

“Sorry, but you’re not my type,” Taemin said, manage to smile apologetically although inside he was quite annoyed, because Jongin had offered—strongly insisted—him a ride home only to pester him to be his boyfriend. Again.

“But you said yourself your type is a guy who doesn’t have a childhood best friend, and here I am. I don’t have one. I only have you,” Jongin argued, voice still too loud.

Taemin gritted his teeth as he hastily entered his passcode, dying to just go into his safe haven already. Why did Jongin have to use the non-sense he blurted out when he was drunk a few days ago at the gathering? Why did Jongin suddenly decide to make a move on Taemin, anyway? They had been good friends since they became the dance school’s teachers at the same time, but after the drunk kiss they shared, Jongin seemed to get the idea of acting on his secret crush on Taemin.

Taemin was about to throw some counterattack—or anything—to make Jongin understand that he didn’t want to be in a relationship—in any relationships, when the door of the unit in front of his opened. It was supposed to be empty, Taemin guessed someone finally moved in.

Jongin and he instinctively turned to whoever came out from the unit, but Taemin regretted it automatically. He should have just went in to his house and neglected Jongin, so he didn’t need to face the handsome guy whose eyes went wide like Taemin’s when their eyes met.

 

The one who became the reason of Taemin’s drunken non-sense.

 

 

It was very easy for Taemin to fall in love with Minho. Minho wasn’t some jerk jocks, instead, he was a nice and kind one.

Taemin really hated that he should transferred school in the middle of his second year, because of his father’s work. He was originally very shy and introverted, so the fact most of the students had had their own circle’s group made it harder for Taemin to get friends. And there was Minho. He approached Taemin first, called him to eat together at lunch with his friends. And suddenly Taemin didn’t hate his transfer.

Because he had fallen in love with Minho.

It took months for Taemin to gather the courage to confess. He didn’t expect anything, he just didn’t want to have regret. They were in their third and last year of high school, and Taemin had had his name listed on the Royal Ballet School in London due to his winning in Ballet Competition.

But Minho said yes. He was all smile as he accepted Taemin’s confession.

They dated and it was perfect in Taemin’s eyes. Minho was perfect. He was a good boyfriend.

Taemin tried to find the right time to tell Minho about his college plan, but he couldn’t. He loved Minho too much that he was afraid of losing him, that he started to reconsider his choice of college. So he took the entrance exam to Korean National University of Arts. He was ready to drop everything to be with Minho.

What Taemin didn’t know was he might be not the only one in Minho’s heart.

He met Song Yi, Minho’s best friend, around the fourth months they dated. She was the complete opposite of Taemin, but very similar with Minho. She was bubbly and brave. And she was very, very close with Minho.

Extremely close.

Taemin tried to be reasonable. He didn’t want to be blinded by ungrounded jealousy. Song Yi had a boyfriend anyway.

But he saw it himself.

People said when you loved someone, you couldn’t take your eyes from the person you love. Taemin’s eyes always followed Minho, only to find that Minho’s were always on Song Yi.

How he smiled brighter around her.

How he got super protective towards her.

How he got extremely worried when she was sick—and she got sick easily because she had bad immune.

How he cut their date early and left him because Song Yi called him crying, saying she broke up.

Taemin’s heart broke. Minho didn’t cheat physically, but his heart did, and it hurt Taemin so much more.

Although Minho himself wasn’t aware of this.

He didn’t hate Minho. He couldn’t, because Minho still acted as a good boyfriend towards him. He still kept treasuring him and saying ‘I love you’ though Taemin knew Minho didn’t realize that he didn’t.

He didn’t love Taemin.

It was their graduation day. It was the day Taemin picked to end all of this. He wanted to be a little selfish, to spend his last days with Minho’s artificial love before he moved to London.

Minho was still clueless as ever. Clueless of his own feelings, clueless that he would never see Taemin again after this. He was still all smile when he complied with Taemin’s request to meet at the school backyard, the place where Taemin confessed before.

“Are you being cheesy and nostalgic right now?” Minho teased as he approached Taemin. “Are we here to reminisce the memories?” his eyes twinkled though he still talked in teasing tone.

And his smile fell when he saw Taemin’s solemn face.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, worried.

“Let’s break up,” Taemin had willed himself not to cry, but he already felt his tears welled up.

Minho was stunned. He didn’t feel any signs. They were fine, they were happy. So why did Taemin suddenly ask for a break up?

“I…can’t continue this relationship,” Taemin said, his voice cracked.

“Why?” Minho’s voice was just above the whisper.

“Because I am the only in love here.”

Minho felt chill crept to his spine and his heart tightened. The feeling he got when he felt guilty, consciously or not. So he couldn’t say anything, he didn’t need to, because Taemin was ready to spill everything.

“You love her, right?” Taemin couldn’t stop. “You love Song Yi, right?”

Minho didn’t answer but Taemin didn’t need one.

“I saw you, Minho. How you acted around her. Maybe because you spent all of your life with her so you didn’t notice. You think it was normal, you just did what you always did towards her. But it’s not, Minho. You love her. You can tell yourself you love me thousand times, but deep down, you know that the one you love is her.”

“Taemin…”

Taemin held his palm up, stopping Minho. He shook his head, smiling despite the tears falling. “It’s okay. I don’t hate you. Just…let’s not continue this. You will regret it. She broke up, and this is your chance. I know I should break up to you sooner but I just wanted to spend a little bit more time with you. I’m sorry.”

Minho shook his head, his heart ached for hurting the boy. He knew Taemin was right. The thoughts had come across his mind sometimes, but he was too cowardice to dig deeper, because he didn’t want to ruin his friendship, nor his relationship with Taemin.

“No, Taemin. I am sorry. I am so, so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you like this. I…I really like you,” Minho choked on his words.

Taemin knew he shouldn’t feel this hurt seeing Minho cried like this, but he did. He wrapped his arms around Minho’s waist.

“Goodbye,” he whispered. He let go and ran away before Minho could react.

 

And Taemin’s first love ended with a tearful farewell and nasty wound.

 

 

 

Ten years passed and Taemin thought he would never see Minho again. But was the fate playing with him by sending Minho to be his neighbor? Yes, he had moved on. He just thought about Minho from time to time, but he had moved on. The nasty wound had turned into a scar. It wasn’t dull ache anymore, no, it even didn’t hurt at all anymore. But seeing Minho like this sent a little tingle feeling to the faint scar on his heart, made him a little uncomfortable.

So Taemin just froze and wasn’t able to say anything.

“Sorry, we are too loud, aren’t we?” Jongin was the one who finally broke the silence.

Minho composed himself and managed a smile. “No, I am sorry. I thought there was a fight, so I just want to check. Did I interrupt something?”

“No. Sorry,” Jongin scratched his head, felt a little embarrassed. Taemin used to not have a neighbor, so he didn’t really care of his loud voice before.

“Taemin, I think I should go,” Jongin turned to Taemin. “Let’s continue this conversation later.”

“Jongin, I…” Taemin wanted to make it clear to Jongin but he stopped because Jongin had left. He sighed.

“Hey,” Minho’s voice was soft, and a little bit hesitant.

Taemin took a deep breath as he turned to Minho. “Hey.”

“I really don’t expect seeing you here. It’s a pleasant surprise,” Minho said, being honest Taemin guessed, because he could hear a hint of excitement in his voice.

“Yes. Wow,” Taemin felt stupid but he couldn’t find the right words.

“How are you, Taemin?” Minho asked.

“Fine. Very fine. You?”

“Me too,” Minho sent Taemin the usual warm smile, made Taemin feel a little bit nostalgic.

There was an awkward silence after that, before Minho finally broke it.

“I guess I’ll see you around?”

 

Taemin nodded. “Yeah. I think so.”

 

They were seeing each other too much. The time they went to work was similar. The time they went back from work was also similar. They met at the hallway, they met at the elevator, and they met at the parking lot. Taemin was aware the little hesitance in Minho’s voice and eyes every time he bumped into Taemin and greeted him. Like he wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be friendly with Taemin or not, if that was okay or not. It made the conversation always awkward. And Taemin felt bad because it had been ten years and Minho wasn’t being a jerk intentionally.

On the 10th day Minho moved in, Taemin couldn’t take it anymore.

They bumped into each other in the elevator. After another awkward greetings, they rode the elevator in silence. They walked to their unit in silence. Taemin glanced back a little, seeing Minho purposely slowed down his steps. So, when Taemin reached his unit, he didn’t instantly enter, instead he turned around and lent his back on his door, waiting for Minho.

Minho was puzzled, but he just nodded politely. He was about to press his passcode when Taemin’s voice halted all of his movements.

“Minho, stop this,” Taemin straightforwardly said.

Minho turned to Taemin. “Stop what?”

“This awkwardness. And your…your carefulness around me.”

Minho lowered his gaze, avoiding Taemin’s gaze. “I don’t know how I am supposed to act around you. If I am a bit too friendly, I am being rude, right? Or should I ignore you? But that is rude, too.”

Taemin shook his head in amusement. Minho was still the same. He never changed. He was still the kind and tender-hearted guy that Taemin knew.

“It has been ten years, Min,” Taemin said softly. The nickname he used to call Minho felt all too familiar in his tongue, but he didn’t hate it.

And that nickname earned Minho’s gaze on him. He looked surprised but a little relief, like it gave him the confirmation that Taemin didn’t hate him.

“Don’t you hate me?” Minho dared to ask.

“I think I remember I said I didn’t hate you ten years ago. And I don’t see the reason why I should hate you now.”

The answer was like releasing all the tense knot on Minho’s muscle. His posture and his face relaxed completely.

Taemin thought he should act mature, well, he was 27 years old. He had had ten years to be over this man, and he naively thought he was ready to be friends with his ex.

So Taemin kindly told Minho, “We are neighbor. So let’s not be awkward anymore and just…be friends, okay?”

Minho was still the same. He still smiled with his twinkled eyes. Taemin felt nostalgic again. Ten years had passed, he told himself, ten year was more than enough to let go of the past.

Taemin was naïve, but Minho wasn’t any better.

Both of them honestly thought that it would be very easy for them to be friends again.

 


Sooo...I made this story after contemplating on Minho's drama Because It's My First Time, which I watched in parts because I honestly dislike the female lead character. And I shipped him more with his girlfriend. And I felt bad for her and I thought she and Minho character deserved better, so this story happened.

Please bear with my slow update.

And please kindly leave me comments because it make me happy.

Stay safe everyone wherever you are.

XOXO