ECLIPSE

The Other Side Of The Moon

 

First my mother, then my father and now her. How could she be so selfless? Sacrificing herself for someone whom everyone runs away from. And what have I done? Nothing but lose every single time. Is my life only about endless disappointment? Is this what she meant by Fate? Had I been born in Heaven or Earth, would it have been different?

 

Moonbyul reached out her bloody hand to Solar as she watched her dragged away by Lucifer. She laid there as the clouds gathered to shower. The falling rain mixed with her tears and rolled down her cheeks. Her father came to her aid. Moonbyul brushed his hand off her shoulder. Her father kept apologizing for being a coward as she sat there getting drenched by the rain. Stoic. Empty.

 

Moonbyul laid curled up in bed thinking about what happened. There was nothing she could do. She blamed herself for everything. Why she had to live her life this way? 'I want to die. I should have just died back then in place of my mother. Why did she let me live? To confront this miserable life?'

She turned over and saw her father standing at the door. She let out a heavy sigh. Her father sat beside her and reached out his hand to caress her but she turned her head away. He expressed his penitence for being a cowardly father, a craven husband who let his wife die to save his child.

"I know you won't acknowledge me as your father and my words are worthless to you. But I know for sure that the angel is alive. Lucifer won't just kill an angel. Go and save her."

 

"How? I am nothing", Moonbyul replied passionless, covering her face with her arm.

 

"Let me show you my only secret. Come."

 

Moonbyul and her father walked up to the foothill. From the scenario, she knew it was a training ground. Her father went and stood in the middle of the ground. He performed a ritual and signs appeared around him. Red mist surrounded the area. "Juda, a ritual heirloom in the family of Rubus where the power from each generation were collected and passed down to the eldest. As an Infero, we needed something to protect ourselves", her father explained.

 

"I have never heard of it."

 

"Of course you wouldn't hear about it anywhere. It is a secret for the Rubus family."

 

Moonbyul snapped at her father's words. "If you had it all along, why didn't you used it to save mother?"

 

"This is not enough to defeat Lucifer."

 

"You could have at least tried. She was your wife!"

 

He looked down with a sense of guilt. "I am sorry...Let me pass this on to you." Moonbyul got his point. The power was passed down to Moonbyul, the strongest Rubus ever born. "I apologize for being an incompetent father."

 

Moonbyul left without a word. Yes, it wasn't enough to defeat Lucifer. Inferos were weak and to collect this amount of power for generations was reasonable. It wasn't even near her normal power; however, she could gain some extra power. She stood in front of the mirror looking at the reflection with the dark black long hair, which has been grown since her mother's death. She took her dragger out and hold it against a handful strands of hair. 'It's time to let go and change.'

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 On the other side of the page, Solar was tortured by Lucifer and threatened her to send back to Heaven if she didn't give him her power. Solar knew very well that following Moonbyul to Hell was a bad decision, but she neither wanted to return back to Heaven. Heaven , Hell. Why does it matter? Being in a place where you could be happy with your love ones is more appealing to her. It could be any place and she would still be happy. However, she failed to see the miserable side of the path she chose.

 

Lucifer got furious with her stubbornness. He picked her up by her hair and placed his sword on her neck. "Last chance", Lucifer whispered on Solar's ear.

"I would rather give up my life than to give my power to you. It was made as a symbol of our connection but because of wicked devils like you who used it with selfish motives, it was hidden away. And I will NEVER give it to you."

 

"Very well then. Let this be your last words." Lucifer was about to cut her head off when an explosion occurred outside. Without a delay, the door flew opened and Moonbyul walked in. Lucifer smirked and turned to her still holding Solar in hostage. He slowly slid the sword and blood oozed out from Solar's neck staining the sword.

 

"Stop it. Let her go and face me instead." Moonbyul attempted to negotiate.

 

"Why should I let go of an opportunity? I am close to being the next Satan with this little brat here." Lucifer ordered his men to finish her off.

Moonbyul didn't waste any time to handle them. She needed to save energy to fight Lucifer. Lucifer tossed Solar away and said calmly, "Come".

 

Moonbyul activated her Novissimus. On seeing her improvement, Lucifer gave sarcastic remarks. The fight began and both having the same strength was hard to put one another down. Solar watched them from the other side praying for Moonbyul. The place was completely destroyed during their battle. Solar ran out for safety. Lucifer kicked Moonbyul out in an open space. Moonbyul didn't back down. She head-locked him and pinned him on the ground. Lucifer struggled and broke free.

Lucifer became serious as he realized defeating her would be hard. He needed to upgrade his power. "I should have killed you when I got the chance. I won't make the same silly mistake again. Let me eliminate you this time."

 

Lucifer activated his Novissimus, Azure. His hair colour turned aqua-blue and his pupils too. He was burning with blue flame. This turned the table. Moonbyul was completely over-powered. The past repeated itself. She couldn't get up anymore. She was beaten to subconsciousness. She looked at Solar and saw her petrified. 'Can't I even save one life? What's the point of working hard all those years? That's it. I-'

 

"Don't give up!", Solar shouted with her eyes shut. She wanted to help Moonbyul and right now the best way she could do so was to lift her spirit up. Defeating Lucifer for Moonbyul was never an option. However, there was another way but she was reluctant to do it.

 

"Tch! The Moon who shined alone. What a pity!" Lucifer looked up and chuckled. "Even the sky is predicting your fate. Moon, it's time for your eclipse."

The whole place became darker as the eclipse began. Under the dark sky, a menacing laugh filled the place. Disgusted by Lucifer, Solar made up her mind.

 

"The moon shines because of the sun', Solar softly said as she stood up boldly.

 

"Huh? What did you just say?", mocked Lucifer.

 

The golden snowflakes appeared and swirled around Solar, picking her up slowly in the air. Golden grains formed a mist around her. Her halo reappeared and her wings spread open. A strong wind started to blow. ‘Why were we given this power in the first place? To hide it away or use it to protect? If it was to lock away from any hand, why the weakest? How cunning!’

Lucifer knew exactly what was about to happen and tried to stop her. But he couldn't get near her because of the strong wind. A forceful gust of wind burst out sending strong waves around her radius. The wind slowed down and Solar lost her strength and fell down. Right at that moment, the eclipse ended.

 

 

Lucifer looked back at Moonbyul immediately. The short dark hair covered her face as she hang her head down. She stood bending forward. Everything was on pin drop silence. Within a few seconds, white angelic wings bloomed out of her scapula.

 

The transfer was completed.


 
        *************