CRESCENT

The Other Side Of The Moon

Moonbyul woke up to immense pain on her scapula.

"Oh! Are you awake?", a sweet voice asked her. Moonbyul, for the first time in her existence, saw an angel. She dressed in gold and white, with an olive garland on her head. Her eyes were ocean blue and her long wavy brown hair falls freely.

 

"Where am I?"

 

"Limbo. And this is a secret place I built to hang out. It's my first time seeing a devil. But what happened to you? You were in a bad condition."

 

For a moment, Moonbyul forgot her pain seeing an angel. She looked back to the cause of her pain. Her heartbeat raced fast. Resentment, hatred, and anger rushed through her. She tried to keep her cool but the pain of her loss was too much to bear. She shed her first tears and on it, she swears she would have her revenge. After Moonbyul recollect herself, she softly asked, "What's your name?"

 

"Lumos Solis", cleared throat," but you can call me Solar."

 

"Okay. Solar, it is. Thank you for healing me."

 

"You are welcome. Hmm... Do all devils show this kind of ho-"

 

"Where are my wings?", Moonbyul didn't care enough to listen to her.

 

Solar pointed to the large black wings laid on top of the fabric. Moonbyul got up and walked towards it. She caressed it and asked Solar if it was already cut off when she found her. Solar nodded. Moonbyul returned back to her normal form. The wound from her real devil form left bruises on her normal body.

 

Moonbyul took her wings outside, set it on fire and watched it burn.

"Why did you burn it?", Solar inquired in confusion.

 

"What do you do when your wings got cut off?"

 

Solar remained silent. Moonbyul looked at her and scanned her. "Why didn't you put back my wings?"

 

Solar quickly replied, "I was told to be cautious of a devil in his demonic form. They are very cunning."

Moonbyul narrowed her eyes.

 

"But it was too late when I found you!", Solar continued, terrified by Moonbyul's stare. Without the power of flight, a devil becomes like a mere bird without wings. Its freedom is gone and remains helpless. And this was how angels took care of haughty devils. However, they could be put back within a few period of time after it got cut off by a healing angel. Otherwise, it becomes a piece of trash.

 

Healing angels are the weakest, however, the most powerful kind. They are protected from all evil as they are physically weak. Despite this, their healing power is beyond compare.

 

For a healing angel to be out here in Limbo unarmed, freely roaming, Moonbyul couldn't help but wonder if she was being brave or stupid.

 

"Why did you help me, a devil?"

 

"It doesn't matter to me who I help. I come here every now and then to heal the poor souls. Hollows are always lurking around and they are not safe in this miserable place."

 

"Those sinners deserve it. Let them be the food of hollows. They can do one good deed before they vanish from this universe. The hollows will be satisfied too. Don't you think so?"

 

"Wha-? ...... Do you, devils, don't have feelings?"

 

"No, they make you weak."

 

"I think this is my cue to leave. Rest well here, till you get better."

 

"Meet me tomorrow."

 

"N-O"

 

Moonbyul smirked. She looked to the horizon which spread far and wide. She clenched her fist and stood there lost in the thought of revenge.

 

The next day, Solar came to visit Moonbyul with food from heaven. Moonbyul for coming after rejecting her the other day.

 

"I didn't want you to starve to death. Does it hurt to say thank you?"

 

They sat down on the white furry rug. Moonbyul took a bite and immediately spit it out. Solar couldn't believe her eyes.

 

"Who eats this junk?"

 

"Junk? Those are my favorite Vanilla scented bread. Give it back, you ungrateful prr-", Solar stopped midway.

 

"Ungrateful what?", Moonbyul moved closer to her face. Solar gulped. Inside her mind, Solar cursed herself for almost saying pretty devil. And now her bold voice was making her heart skip a beat. Solar turned red at seeing Moonbyul's face up close.

 

Solar helped Moonbyul until she finally recovered. Solar was a bubbly angel who drives Moonbyul’s negative energy away. She would make jokes and mess around to see her smile. And once in a blue moon, when Moonbyul smiles a little, Solar fell deeper in love with her. The first time she found her unconsciously with her body and wings apart, she was stunned by her visual. However, she must be careful because Moonbyul was a devil known widely, even in Heaven, for her lust for power after Lucifer. She kept it a secret from her fellow angels. If God happened to know, she would be severely punished.

 

Moonbyul finally recovered, thanks to Solar. Surprisingly, Moonbyul did not return back to hell. Solar would ask her but she gave no reply. Countless days passed and they became close. Defeating hollows and healing souls, they became partners. Their bond was strong. But somewhere in the back of Solar's mind, she felt she knew less about Moonbyul and what was going on in her head.

 

One night, they were resting on the rug inside Solar's hideout. Moonbyul was laying down with her hands behind her head while Solar sat there.

 

"Tell me. I am curious", Moonbyul started a conversation. "Is it true angels can give their powers to others?"

 

Solar tried to read Moonbyul but failed. It was confidential among the heavenly members. "Are you talking about the myth?", Solar chuckled. "If that has been true, I would have exchanged my powers with a guardian angel."

 

"Why? You hate yourself?", Moonbyul sat up.

 

"No. I love myself. My Lord would ask us to love ourselves first to help others. We, the healing angels, need to do so the most. We always need protection. We should never think low of ourselves because we are of great help to others in different ways, in our own way."

 

"Hm...", Moonbyul nodded in agreement.

 

"Do you love yourself?". Solar wanted to know her response.

 

"Of course, I love myself", replied Moonbyul proudly. "I am close to being perfect."

 

"Oh. I see. But don't you think you are missing something?", Solar raised her eyebrows and looked behind Moonbyul. This pulled a string. Moonbyul stood up furiously and left. Solar instantly realized it wasn't funny.

 

Solar was disturbed by Moonbyul's question. She began to doubt her. What if she didn't return back to Hell because of that? What if she was trying to gain trust to extract her powers? What if she was trying to fool her?

 

Solar became cautious around Moonbyul. Moonbyul sensed her insecurity so she gave Solar some space. She needed to focus on getting stronger in order to defeat Lucifer. She had been training herself fighting Hollows and thinking of ways to bring down Lucifer. She couldn't let Solar be her distraction. Moonbyul used her to heal and survive there while she trained. She could have returned back to Hell but something was holding her back, which she could not figure out.

 

Moonbyul was napping when a loud noise of Hollow roaring and land crashing woke her up. The noise was near but she didn't bother to look at it. Solar didn't come that day so she thought it was unnecessary to interrupt someone's meal. Moonbyul only wanted to fight Hollows, saving souls was Solar's.

 

The noise grew louder and nearer. Moonbyul stood up but the land was shaking so hard that she lost her balance and fell down. Her instincts told her to rush to the scene. She grabbed her sword and ran out only to witness Solar in the grip of a Hollow ready to be swallowed alive. The sight made Moonbyul boiled with anger that her ruby eyes turned black as well as her red flames. One slashed and the pseudo-hands of the Hollow holding Solar thud on the ground. With one strike Moonbyul tried to turn the Hollow into ashes but it was an evolved hollow, a Rus. When one hollow has consumed many souls, it evolved such that it obtained an incredible amount of strength. Rus were rare and hardly seen in Limbo.

 

"Get out of here!"

 

"I can't. Let me help", Solar joined the fight but Moonbyul pushed her away saving her from the Hollow's insanely strong swing of the pseudo-hand.

 

"Didn't you hear what I just said? You fool! You are getting in my way!", Moonbyul yelled at her. Her harsh words hurt Solar's feelings. Solar looked back to Moonbyul as she tried to get away from the spot. She had never seen Moonbyul's dark eyes and burning black flames before. Just looking at her eyes made Solar felt a chill down her spine. The way Moonbyul handled the Hollow was different from her normal fighting style. It was not the same Moonbyul she knew. She looked more devilish than her devil form with horns and wings. Moonbyul cut the Hollow into pieces and it was burning in black flames, yet she kept slashing the pieces into finer pieces even after knowing the hollow was already dead.

 

The pieces turned to ashes and Moonbyul stood there stationary. Solar couldn't move her body. She hesitated whether to go near Moonbyul or not. Seeing Moonbyul immobile, Solar slowly walked towards her.

 

"Are - you okay?"

 

Moonbyul turned her head to Solar. She staggered towards Solar and stood before her. Her black eyes gazed deep into Solar's clear eyes. There was anger, resentment in her eyes. At last, she fainted on Solar's arms.

 

****************

 

 

ON NEXT CHAPTER: THE SUN

 

"You could have gone back and sought for forgiveness", Moonbyul told Solar to make her realized she made a wrong choice by being with her.

"How could I leave you and save myself knowing you have done no harm? ....."

<><><><><>

"You are mine!", Lucifer cackled. Solar looked back to Moonbyul laying there subconsciously. Tears started to swell up in her ocean blue eyes and ran down her red cheeks........

 

*********************