A Human's Breath

The Song of the Lost Prince

Jinah opened the door to her fridge and took out one of the blood packs she got from the blood run. She had been going to that blood bank for a while now, taking only a few packs at a time to not raise suspicions. Blood runs were quick because she was trained to walk in the shadows. 

Ripping open the blood packet, she sank her fangs into the blood. Closing her eyes, she remembered how her fangs had involuntarily come out when she had nestled her face in the male vampire’s neck. She only planned to take a few blood packs to last her a few weeks until she realized how much blood the clan was taking. There was no way that she would be able to go back to that specific blood bank. 

Finishing the packet of blood, she reopened her fridge to check how much blood was left. If she rationed it out well, she would be able to last another month. It all depended whether or not the next mission that she was given would leave her hurt. 

She changed into her running clothing, deciding that instead of staying in her house and thinking of the vampire she met at the blood bank again, it would be better to keep a check on her stamina.

Leaving the house, she took a deep breath in. As a vampire, she didn’t really have to breathe. There were no blood cells that needed to be oxygenated to keep her moving. However, humans seemed to heavily pant on runs. In order to blend in, she had to train herself to breathe at an even pace. When she ran, she learned that she should breath in a bit faster and shorter. Stretching before she started the run, she leaned down and touched her toes.

Running was a training that she always tried to do in her free time. It wasn’t about keeping herself fit; it was about being able to blend in completely with the humans. Breathing was only a part of the exercise. She had to learn how to run like humans too, and at an acceptable pace for females. 

She made sure that her limbs moved slowly and pant enough to seem like she was actually getting a workout from it. She felt like she was moving in slo-mo. She reached a landmark and decided to turn back there, knowing that she had run an hour already. 

Wiping the nonexistent sweat off her forehead, she jumped in the shower when she heard her phone ring. Her eyebrows furrowed. It was the ringtone she saved specifically for her work. Finishing her shower, she opened the phone to see the message. 

 

From YG: 

Information folder has been put on your bed. 

 

Rolling her eyes, she shook her head. Of course they would smuggle it into her house. It was a clear show of power, saying that they could take her out in a second if they wanted to. It was the downfall of having to live in the apartment complex for the trained assassins that were contracted to YG.

Opening the file, she read that it was going to be a joint mission with Rosé. Blackpink wasn’t a bad group. They were a small clan of four girls that all specialized in a different aspect. Jennie was an accurate sniper, Lisa a graceful fighter, Jisoo the hacker, and Rosé was an accurate shooter. There were rumours going around that Rosé didn’t want to be part of Blackpink anymore after finding her brother. She had enough money to leave and support the both of them for a couple of years before having to find work. She guessed that it was simply a rumour however, seeing how YG trusted Rosé to go on a mission with her. 

Jinah didn’t take any missions. Hers were high-risk, one that required perfect execution and no mistakes. If you were put in a mission with her, it was like YG giving his stamp of approval. She agreed that it was time for Blackpink to go on a mission with her. She approved of Rosé too, she had an accurate shoot and was skilled in hand to hand combat. 

Looking through the folder, she sighed at the information. This was an unusually high risk mission. Shaking her head, she whispered to herself. 

“Of course. I should’ve known.” There was no way the Rosé was going to be sent with her if the mission wasn’t this high risk. She wondered if Rosé was given the same file as her. It was to take out the sniper and leader of EXO-M. 

EXO-M had been around for years. In fact, they were one of the most notorious groups in the underground vampire society. They were a subunit of EXO, and angering EXO-M would basically be alerting EXO-K as well. There was a reason why EXO-M was feared and why they survived this long. They were cruel and goal orientated. They stopped at nothing to reach their goals.

The sniper of EXO-M was one of the best. He had a steady hand and an unwavering eye. No one ever became a part of the list he had to take out and survived to say anything. The file gave his information.

“Tao. Bilingual, sniper of EXO.” Jinah whispered out, already knowing who he was. Hell, who wouldn’t if you were with YG? Flipping the page, she read out the next name.

“Kris Wu. Leader of EXO-M. Urgh.” The information listed in the files did nothing else but to get her more nervous. She didn’t have to fight EXO at all. They tended to be on neutral ground with YG and till now, they had no reason to fight against each other. They were both wary of each other and knew that a fight between EXO-M and someone from YG would result in bloodshed no matter what. 

She knew that this had to be done through an ambush and a quick getaway. That was the only way she would be able to leave with minimal fighting and damage to herself. Seeing that it was already night, she went back to her fridge for more blood.

“I’m definitely going to need more blood.” She whispered to no one. Even in the best case scenario that she didn’t get hurt in the mission, there were far more chances of getting hurt. Having blood in her system would allow her to heal faster and have more energy, increasing her chances of survival.

It was too risky to get blood right now before the mission, so Jinah decided on going to a new blood bank after a week from the mission. She would just have to survive 2 weeks on the blood she had now. That wasn’t too bad, it was probably the amount established figures in the vampire society had to drink every week. 

It annoyed her to realize that she had to find another blood bank in the middle of nowhere because of that stupid vampire clan. She knew that they were from Stray Kids, and she did not want to fight a rising clan. That was why she helped. 

She could imagine their house- loud and full of people. There were 4 there that night, which meant that the other four at home were resting that night. They would probably switch members the next time they went to take blood. 

Jinah wondered what that would feel like. To have people care for you and do things in your stead. She didn’t know what that felt like; she joined YG too young to have experienced and recall memories of her family or a clan. She shook her head free of the thoughts. These were thoughts of weakness. She was fine on her own. 

As she lay in bed, getting ready for tomorrow’s mission her mind wandered back to that night with the boys from Stray Kids. Groaning, she pulled the blanket over her head in frustration. It was a simple ruse to get the police officers off their back. She knew though, that she would have escaped on her own. She knew where she parked the motorcycle and by the time they realized she was leaving, it would be too late for the officers. Instead, she decided to help the Stray Kids members. Why?

Jinah turned in bed, frustrated that sleep wasn’t coming and that she was still thinking about them. She shut her eyes forcefully and began counting down from 100. She only reached the 70s when she lost count as blackness consumed her.