Means to an End

The Song of the Lost Prince

Hyunjin and 3racha were huddled around the desk in Bangchan’s room. They whispered quietly, knowing that the rest of the clan had super hearing and anything louder than a low whisper would be picked up by the rest, even if they were sleeping. It wasn’t the first time they were threatened, but it was the first time they were given a note threatening others without knowing who was behind it. Usually, clans or other organizations would sign off, trying to test the power of the Straykids clan and undermine their strength as one of the top assassin clans.

The note was simple and was written by a typewriter, something they didn’t know people still had around to use. It read “Prince, be warned. The king and your brothers are first that will go, and soon your sister, Yeji, will also die.” 

It was simple and short yet there were multiple red flags that went off. They knew it was addressed to Hyunjin, the note had been left on the top of his pillow. That was the first red flag. With Jeongin’s security cameras and measures taken to kill anyone or at least mortally hurt them, no one should have been able to even get to the house. The ability for someone to enter or even be able to smuggle in the note through other means in the house specifically to Hyunjin would have had to be able to hack through Jeongin’s security. 

Possibly the biggest concern however, was that the note was addressed to the prince. Hyunjin’s true identity was unknown to the rest of the vampire world. Only the royals and the StrayKids clan would have known about his identity. At the time of his banishment from the royal household, they had also erased all of his records. No one knew that the current Queen and the past King had a son, only a daughter. No one could have known that a son existed, much less was still alive. And they could never have known that the banished prince was with StrayKids.

They were already tense reading the first word, and the rest of the note didn’t fail to surprise them continuously. Someone was planning to murder the entire royal family. They couldn’t care much for the men in that family, but when Yeji’s name came up they felt Hyunjin tense up next to them. 

“How the do they know about me being a prince and Yeji being my biological sister? No one knows that.” Hyunjin growled out in anger. The only interactions that he and Yeji had were coded letters that were dropped in a place with bustling people. The place would always change and no one would ever think much of the coded letters; they were usually put on advertisements. 

With the note being printed through a typewriter and no sign off, they didn’t even have a lead to start investigating with. They knew if there were any suspicious activities caught on Jeongin’s radar he would report it right away.

“Keep this to ourselves for now. We’ll tell the boys if we get another note. I don’t want to worry them with this if it’s not a big deal.” Bangchan muttered, effectively ending the conversation. He was much more worried than he let on. He knew how good Jeongin’s skills were and how safe the house was. For someone to be able to go in to the home or even drop off a package with other means on Hyunjin’s bed was something that should never have happened.

Jisung and Changbin were rattled at what happened. They were deep in thought seeing if the note carried any hints they previously missed when they saw Hyunjin stand up and leave the room. They heard his footsteps going down the stairs and opening the fridge door. There was silence for a few seconds until he slammed the door shut.

“We’re out of blood.” He growled. 3racha could feel his anger coming off in waves and felt the other members rustling. Even though he was banished from the royal household at a very young age, he still had the impact a king would. His words were more heavy and his emotions would affect many. He exuded a type of aura when he released control of his identity. 

Hyunjin was mad and hungry. It was nearly midnight and the members other than him and 3racha were asleep. Sighing, he decided to go back to sleep when he saw Felix emerge from his room with sleepy eyes.

“No blood?” Felix asked, his already deep voice even deeper because he just woke up.

Bangchan and Jisung also came out of the room they had the meeting in, surprised that Felix was awake.

“Go back to sleep, Felix we can do a blood run tomorrow.” Bangchan offered, knowing that Felix was tired from their last mission.

“Let’s go on one right now. We’ve been low on blood for a few weeks and the rest of the members have been hungry for awhile.” Han suggested. He knew that they were all hungry and that they were just trying to last before having to go on a blood run. Doing one to feed the entire 8 person clan would definitely leave a dent in the blood bank’s supply. If they did do a blood run, the security measures would be heightened at that bank due to the unknown loss in the amount.

Bangchan knew the risks but also knew that they were going to have to go one one soon anyways. 

“Wake up Jeongin we need to disable the security cameras.” Han nodded and left to wake Jeongin up and the rest dispersed to wear proper clothing. They all heard the small groan Jeongin let out, knowing that he was tired from the recent mission where the group they needed to take out had a very skilled hacker. He knew that he needed to get up so they could get blood. 

The rest of the members that were going out came out dressed in black, trying to blend into the night. They knew that they would probably not run into any problems. It was still a long time since they last went on a blood run. It was when the group was a rookie underground team when they last had to go themselves to get blood. Once they were more established, they began getting sponsored and had a contract with a specific blood donor. Unfortunately, the donor was killed because he had nullified a contract with NCT, and they had killed him very quickly.

After telling where they would go to Jeongin, they left in their black van with a few duffle bags. It would be a blood bank that was 30 minutes away.

Arriving at the blood bank, they were relieved to see that there were no other vampires or humans there. Allowing their senses to scan the area, Hyunjin and Bangchan nodded, giving the sign to go once they saw the cameras turn off one by one. They entered and started stuffing their duffle bags with blood from different aisles, trying to make it as random as possible. 

“Did you guys hear that?” Felix called out quietly, knowing they could hear him throughout the building. He was sure he heard light footsteps, one that had to belong to a trained vampire if he could only barely sense it.

“No, I didn’t. We should try to get out fast. Felix was the only one who heard it.” Jisung replied, starting to speed up. None of them were willing to get into a scuffle with another lone vampire. 

As their duffle bags were almost filled to the top, they heard police sirens cars pull up. 

“Why are there police here? I thought Jeongin said it was fine?” Felix muttered. Bangchan shook his head. There was no way they were the ones that made the police come to the blood bank. This time, all their heads snapped up when they heard scuffling. Someone was here with them and they were trying to leave the building.

Bangchan’s phone lit up with a text from Jeongin. 

“We’re safe, the police are investigating the warehouse next to this one.” Bangchan let the team know. 

“We parked out front.” Jisung whispered, knowing that the car was suspicious and that they would possibly check the warehouse they were in now. They heard the police run to the front of the blood bank and they decided to book it out the back door. They were weighed down by the duffle bags full of blood when they felt another vampire run at them. Shocked at the vampire’s speed, they were unable to avoid it.

The vampire’s hand grasped onto the wrist of the nearest member and pulled him towards where the light was. No one saw it coming and the police were approaching them. Hyunjin was finally able to identify her face when she stepped into light and brushed her hair back. She motioned for the rest of the boys to go back into the shadows and kicked Hyunjin’s duffle bag to the boys, hoping that at least one would catch it. 

Glancing at the police that were rounding the corner, she pushed Hyunjin to the wall. Hyunjin had absolutely no idea who the vampire was and why she was pushing up against his body. When his back hit the building wall, the girl held his waist and started straddling him. They could both hear the police slowing down as they saw them under the lamp.

“Roll with it.” She whispered, linking her arms behind his neck. Tugging him towards her, she nestled her face into his neck, trying to imitate what she saw a lot of humans do with their partner.

The boys in the shadows were struggling not to make a sound. What was this vampire doing to Hyunjin? 

Hyunjin finally understood what she was trying to do and smirked. He leaned his head sideways to let her get more access to his neck when he felt her fangs slide out unconsciously. Knowing that the boys were watching the show, he grabbed onto her waist and flipped her around so that she was against the wall.

“Princess, what are you trying to do?” Hyunjin sarcastically whispered in her ear, pressing himself up against her even more. He put his lips close to her, just enough to graze her lips with his. 

“Hands up! This is private property!” The cops came walking with their gun pointed to them. Slowly separating, they put their hands up. Glancing at the vampire girl, he had to keep in a chuckle when he saw her lookup with shy eyes. 

  Starting to fidget, the vampire girl softly let out a whine of embarrassment. “Sorry officer, it just seemed like a place no one would come to and oh this is my boyfriend did you want our names? I’m sor-” She was cut off by the police officers sighing and lowering their guns. It was a common occurance and they were used to frisky teenagers doing things in the dark alleys.

“We’ll let you off this time. Be careful and don’t do this next time kid.” The police officers walked away and as soon as they turned the corner, the boys came out of the shadow. They all had amused smirks on their faces.

“3racha is missing a member aren’t they?” The vampire laughed and walked off. The smirks were wiped off when they realized that she was probably part of the underground network of vampires too. In order to know what the 3racha looked like, she would have to be involved in a high ranking organization. 

Before they could ask any questions, she walked off and slowly jogged where she had parked her motorcycle.

They heard the low growl of the motorcycle as it left the vicinity. 

Back at the house, they hurried and threw in the blood packs in the fridge. The amount they were able to take would probably last them a month or more if it was portioned off properly. 

“Ight guys, go ahead and go back to sleep. Good work, especially you Hyunjin.” Bangchan laughed while saying it, and shoved the last of the blood into the fridge. His last part of the sentence made the rest of them laugh and Hyunjin only facepalmed. Sighing, he went into his room. His mind took him back to when he was shoved up against the wall. She smelled faintly of peaches and when she nestled her face into his neck, he almost wanted her to sink her fangs in. Groaning at the thought, he lept into bed and decided to sleep it off.

Jeongin was still up, even after the rest of the members fell asleep. He watched the vampire girl realize that all the security cameras had stopped recording and visibly let go of the tension she carried with her. He watched as she did her best to avoid the four boys that were ransacking and moving quickly. It was obvious that she wasn’t a threat and was simply there to grab blood when Felix snapped up after hearing her light footsteps. He chuckled. No one could fool Felix and his senses. The most confusing part was that she could’ve left alone and pass off as a lost girl in the city but instead she helped the boys escape.

He was curious about the girl that shoved Hyunjin up a wall. He was curious about the girl that switched personalities when she had to adapt to the environment. Jeongin scrolled through the feed again to see if the camera caught a glimpse of her face and a good shot of her body to run it through the recognition feature he had. Just to his luck, he realized that earlier when she looked at the camera to check if it was recording, her face was clear and had little to no hair covering her face. He took a quick screenshot and ran her body measurements through. After a few minutes, a name came up. Lee Jinah.

Two weeks passed when Hyunjin came home from another mission when he saw another note, this time on his table. Furrowing his eyebrows, he took the note and read it. He took the note and walked to Bangchan’s room.

Bangchan, who was still taking off his clothes, was just able to finish slipping his shirt on when Hyunjin barged in.

“You can always knock you kno-” Bangchan was cut off by Hyunjin slamming the note on his desk.

“I warned Yeji. I used to code at the local market again.” Bangchan didn’t understand what Hyunjin was talking about until he opened the note and read it out loud.

“What the hell?”

 

Prince, be warned. Yeji knowing won’t change the outcome.

-----------

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Leave any thoughts/comments below! Thank you :)