Chapter 4

Mending broken hearts

Yongsun stares at Wheein looking for any possible hint of what she is feeling. Wheein tends to hide her feelings by joking about it or downplaying it even if it is hurting her so much. Her childhood isn't exactly a fairytale, her father drowned their family with debt causing her mother to divorce him, and she watch her own grandmother who raised her be riddled with cancer. To avoid burdening her family, she learned to hide her feelings and deal with it by herself.

 

 

Wheein stood frozen at the end of the staircase, processing what she just saw and why he was there. The person she has always wanted was right there, but in a split second, he vanished. He just left just like before.

 

 

Slowly, tears escaped from Wheein's eyes, "Andwae Wheein-ah, keumanhae... ijen keuman." Those were the only words she managed to tell herself. 

 

 

Hyejin looked at her girlfriend and said, “don’t say anything, let me.” Before grabbing Wheein’s hand to bring her to their dressing room where she can cry if she wants to or just be left alone. Yongsun followed them quietly as she knows Hyejin can handle this better. The two have been best friends since middle school. If there is anyone who knows Wheein better than herself, it would be Hyejin.

 

 

 

The three of them arrived in the dressing room, and Hyejin did not forget to lock the room before settling herself next to Wheein who is blankly staring at the floor possibly lost in her own messy thoughts.  

 

 

 

“What do we do? You know you’re never alone in anything. Do you want to cry about it or pretend it never happened? What about beating him up? You know I’ll do that for you” Hyejin asked seriously while grabbing both of Wheein’s shoulder, earning a soft laugh from Wheein.

 

 

Although not a sincere laugh, Wheein actually appreciated that her best friend is there for her especially now that she is having a hard time. Although she knew that was bound to happen, she did not expect she’ll feel this amount of pain.

 

 

 

Wheein looks at Yongsun, “Unnie, are we done for the day?”

 

 

 

Hyejin and Yongsun looked at each other before answering Wheein, “I think so, that was the final rehearsal of the day.” Looking at the time, it has been at least 10 hours since they have been at the venue.

 

 

 

“Do you have somewhere to be?” Hyejin looked at her best friend, worried that Wheein might bump into him, and she won’t be there to protect her

 

 

 

“I just want to get some air. I’ll make sure no one will recognize me, and I won’t stay out too late.” Hyejin looked at Yongsun nodding to say Wheein needs it.

 

 

 

Silence filled the room as Hyejin watches her friend get ready to go out and get her much needed air after the suffocating encounter with the very least person she wanted to see

.

.

.

.

.

.

New York is filled with people hustling and bustling. The big crowds of people crossing streets and lining up left and right in restaurants and food trucks are helping Wheein blend in. She walked aimlessly as she gets lost deeper in her thoughts. She remembered him, his touch, his voice, and his free-spirited self. Just as quick as she remembered all the good things about him, she also remembered how she was not enough for him. She realized quickly how foolish it was to think that they would ever work out. They are at a very different place in life.

 

 

 

She ended up in Central Park where she sat down and watch the people do what people like her can’t do freely. There were so many families just walking with their kids as if everything is okay in the world.

 

 

 

Would that be possible for us in another universe? – Wheein

 

 

 

In this universe, her life is filled with draining restrictions that she sometimes wishes to walk on a different path. Don’t get her wrong though, she is thankful with the success that she is experiencing, but it would be great to be able to do whatever she wants without receiving massive backlash from the media and everyone else in the world.

 

 

 

“I need to wake up from the dream of an alternate reality where we are possible.” With that, Wheein walked away but as soon as she did, she noticed a lady crying from a distance. She observed for a bit debating whether she should approach her or continue to mind her own business. A part of her wants to help because she can sympathize with the pain.

 

 

 

Wheein walked up to her without realizing magnetized by the unfamiliar desire to be the one to stop her from crying, “Here…” was the only word I could utter while offering my handkerchief.

 

 

 

She tried to comfort her as much as she can but to no avail she can only come up with “Don’t cry…”

 

 

 

The lady muttered “Thank you, sorry” as a result of Wheein’s actions before taking up her offer.

 

 

 

“It will get better soon…” Was the last thing Wheein can offer before leaving to go back to the world where she belongs.

 

The last words she said stayed in her mind, “Yes, Wheein-ah, everything will get better soon so just hold on a little longer.” Wheein quietly told herself