Chapter 2

Mending broken hearts

NYC, NY

Few days have passed since Byul decided to let Krystal go, and within those days, she struggled to find ways to distract herself from the temptation to run back to where she used to feel the warmth of home.

 

The hardest part of moving on is letting go of your habits. The constant checking, morning calls, and I love yous. – Byul

 

Outside Krystal, Moon Byul-yi is a respected data scientist in a bioelectronics field. Her dedication and attention to detail resulted to being widely sought after. Unbeknownst to many, she is extremely talented in arts such as composing music and photography.

 

 

Not because my world is falling apart, does not mean the world will stop, Byul quietly thought to herself as she continues to type out the analysis for her recent project.

 

 

“Take some rest, will you? The lab is not going to fall apart just because you ate lunch” Prof. Kim, the boss, looks at her best performing employee wither away in front of the computer, worry is evident on his face.

 

 

It won’t, but mine will – Byul

 

 

“Yes sir, I just have to run some test.” Byul proceeds to focus on the screen before her, completely blocking out the outside world.

 

 

People in the company noticed the change in Byul’s attitude, but no one dared to ask her what is wrong. They know that she is also private with her life despite being naturally friendly.

 

 

The working hours finished leaving Byul lost in her world again not knowing what to do. She used to play guitar and drums a lot, but she can’t seem to find any interest in them now.

 

 

If today was just a normal day in her definition, Byul would be in Krystal’s apartment chilling and probably watching a movie. However, those days are over… it’s been long gone. She just could not seem to bring herself to accept it.

 

 

To avoid spending so much time in her apartment where emptiness is apparent, she decided to drop by central park. She grabbed dinner in one of those food trucks stationed right outside while watching people take walks and kids play.

 

 

“I thought we would be one of those people… growing old together and taking walks with our kids” Byul said to herself while her tears started slowly streaming down her face. Her shoulder shooked, fist visibly tightened around her spoon as she tries to take another bite before continuing to cry uncontrollably grabbing the attention of few passerby.

 

 

“Here…” A girl somewhere in her twenties stood in front of Byul while offering a handkerchief, signaling her to wipe her tears.

 

 

“Don’t cry…” With soothing voice, she encouraged Byul to do so.

 

 

“Thank you, sorry.” Byul took her offer while looking like a lost child. The girl walked away before Byul could even ask for her name or imprint the girl’s face in her memory.

 

 

“It will get better soon…” The girl whispered to herself, and with that, she vanished from Byul’s sight.

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

After few hours of staring into the distance, Byul decided to take the train home. She put her earphones on, grabbed her bag, and walked away.

 

 

Almost as if fate really wants to drown her, the song that started playing on spotify is Wrong About Forever by Jeff Bernat.

 

 

Wahhhh, jeongmal? Jigeum dangjang? - Byul

 

 

The songs playing are really slapping her on the face making her drown even more if that is even possible at this point. Constant sighing can be heard from Byul which is catching some eyes from other passengers.

 

 

For some reason though, Byul did not change the channel on spotify and continue to couple her depressed self with even more depressing songs… well, she was at least depressed until she heard a specific song. More specifically, a voice that made her feel oddly warm and peaceful.