Chapter 1

Mending broken hearts

2017

 

New York City, NY

“You really need to let her go. Stop falling back in the same cycle.” Seulgi exclaimed, as she puts her hand on her face noticeably stressed.

 

Moonbyul looks at her cousin while releasing an exasperated sigh. She knew Seulgi has a point. Krystal does not love her anymore. Maybe she never even did. Maybe it was fun for a while that is why she stayed. Maybe... Maybe....

 

“Has she ever defended you? Has she even showed she care? Did she reach out to you at all in the past weeks?”

 

“No…”

 

“Unnie… keuman. Jebal jom.”

 

“Do you really think we can’t fix this? Is this really it?” Moonbyul stares at her phone waiting for a sign.

 

“Stop waiting. You know the answer” Seulgi is tired of watching her repeatedly fall down because of the same person. She has seen how this person has suffered to make the relationship work. She just wants Moonbyul to finally be free and happy.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Seoul, SK

 

The snow begins to fall in the busy streets of Seoul. Gasps can be heard as they admire the first snowfall. Friends are celebrating for probably another year of friendship. Couples are hugging and saying their ‘I love yous’ to show appreciation to their better half. There is a belief that if you watch the first snowfall with someone you like, true love will blossom.

 

In the midst of people busking, a lone creature can be seen walking wearing all black attire consisting of baseball cap, mask, oversize hoodie, baggy sweatpants, and vans. The contrasting emotion is evident and very much palpable for anyone who sees.

 

Ahh… it’s the first snowfall, and yet another year of being alone. Wheein thought to herself.

 

Wheein walked and walked until she gets to her apartment where she can drink herself to sleep in hopes to wash away the loneliness she is feeling.

 

She knows she has her friends, but at times like this, she does not want to be around Solar and Hwasa. Wheein will only feel even more lonely if she third wheel.

 

The sound of can opening is something she has been looking forward to. The momentarily peace she gets as she takes the first sip of maekju.

 

“Ahhhh! Why does beer taste even better when you feel like crap?” Wheein exclaimed to herself as she reads the label of beer she is drinking as if looking for answers.

 

Although she is typically a light drinker, Wheein finished two cans in no time. Drinking as if she’s in a contest of who can finish the most within a certain amount of time, or maybe she is just desperate to numb herself from the feeling of not being enough for anyone.

 

“I’m probably going to regret this tomorrow when I wake up.” Wheein quietly whispered to herself while gripping the fifth can in her hand tightly

.

.

.

.

.

.

Though leading different lives in the opposite sides of the world, they share the same feeling as the day ended… hopelessness and pain.